Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > The Burrow: Mrs Weasley's Hobbies & Crafts > Computers

Teaching people to use computers

Old December 23rd, 2010, 5:30 pm
Fourth Year

Teaching people to use computers

I'm sorry if this is the wrong forum/has already been discussed elsewhere. I did a search and nothing came up.

My uncle (who's 80) has recently got a laptop and he's asked me to teach him how to use it. I am slightly dreading this because I don't think he's had one before so won't know much about how to use one. I was wondering if anyone had any pointers on what to teach him first, I'm thinking that it would be a good idea to set up an email account and show him how to use the internet pretty early on because you can't do a lot on computers without that nowadays.

Any ideas?

Images taken from http://dft.ba/-2M6r
Do not anger the kitty!Avengers.

Learning to Live AgainOne shots
Sponsored Links
Old December 23rd, 2010, 10:58 pm
Master of the Magical Arts

Re: Teaching people to use computers

It depends what he wants to use it for.

If he wants to write his memoirs or just correspondence get him up to speed with word processor (OpenOffice is as good as any and is free) or if he wants to use the net searching and bookmarking.

Whatever his purpose make sure the computer has a good anti-virus as that is where a lot of new users fall down.

A patriot is someone who wants the best for his country, including the best laws and the best ideals. It's something other people should call you -- you shouldn't call yourself that. People who call themselves patriots are usually liars. -- Donald Woods

You got what anybody gets . . . You got a lifetime. -- Death of the Endless
Old December 27th, 2010, 8:33 pm
Sixth Year

If he has never used one before, then you'd probably have to teach him stuff like using the mouse, keyboard as well.

Old December 27th, 2010, 9:02 pm
Eldest Gruff

^ Yup this. My dad had many problems to understand what the mouse actually can do (like not only left click, but also right to show some info, pulling folders over etc). He also needed some time until he understood where things actually were stored when he didn't chose a folder by himself. Datas were lost for weeks and months (aka until I came for a visit next time).

I don't want to live in a world
where the strong rules and the weak cower.
Harry Dresden.
Old December 27th, 2010, 10:03 pm
Fourth Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfbrother View Post
If he has never used one before, then you'd probably have to teach him stuff like using the mouse, keyboard as well.
Oh dear, I'd forgotten about that I'm not starting for a while though because I'm busy, so hopefully he might have just about worked that much out by then. I still have trouble trying to get my parents to do that right and they've been using computers for years.

Thanks for the help, though

Images taken from http://dft.ba/-2M6r
Do not anger the kitty!Avengers.

Learning to Live AgainOne shots
Old December 31st, 2010, 5:03 am
Third Year

I recommend this site, by Google: http://www.teachparentstech.org/

You choose whatever skills you think might be useful for the recipient, and they are sent short videos explaining basic functions.

Old March 17th, 2012, 6:36 am
First Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by gelowo93 View Post
I'm sorry if this is the wrong forum/has already been discussed elsewhere. I did a search and nothing came up.

My uncle (who's 80) has recently got a laptop and he's asked me to teach him how to use it. I am slightly dreading this because I don't think he's had one before so won't know much about how to use one. I was wondering if anyone had any pointers on what to teach him first, I'm thinking that it would be a good idea to set up an email account and show him how to use the internet pretty early on because you can't do a lot on computers without that nowadays.

Any ideas?
Hahahahha... good Gelowo. first I will say thank to your uncle that he show effort to learn "how to operate laptop" at this stage. Mate, first you let him teach how to "Boot" and "Shut-down" the system. Here, you didn't given about him educational background. He is sound in techno/mobile/calculator or not. If he easily operate these tool, hope he will get easily & quick.

Yes, your view is also niche. First, let him to Sign up in Mail server (G-mail would be best). This action will help him to entertain himself also.

Thank you to support your uncle!!

Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > The Burrow: Mrs Weasley's Hobbies & Crafts > Computers