Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > The Burrow: Mrs Weasley's Hobbies & Crafts > Cooking & Recipe Exchange

Most unusual thing you've ever eaten?

Old January 3rd, 2011, 4:25 pm
First Year

Re: Most unusual thing you've ever eaten?

1. What's the most bizarre thing you've eaten?
I can't think of anything... hrm, sushi?

2. The grossest? Surprisingly tastiest? Scariest? Most exotic?
The grossest was an ant... ew. Surprisingly tastiest would be calamari. Scariest... I dunno, maybe lobster when I was little? Most exotic would be Indian food.

3. What made you want to try a bizarre food?
I dunno, I wanted to try something different.

4. What would you try again and what would you never try again?
Anything that could have potential, like maybe mayonnaise. *shudder* I would never try an ant again.

5. What bizarre food would you someday like to try?
Anything really foreign that looks tasty.

6. If you tried your bizarre foods in a foreign country, what country was it?
I have not.

"I never really gave up on you.
Not really.
I always hoped..."

Sponsored Links
Old January 3rd, 2011, 11:40 pm
Professor Emeritus

The worst thing I can remember was back in the 60's. We went to a friend's house for a "gourmet dinner" and when I walked into the kitchen there were these giant beef testicles sitting there. "Is that what I think it is?" I asked and my fears were confirmed. These monstrositites were cut into little pieces, breaded and deep fried. I refused to eat any and when I was sitting chatting later the host came casually by and as I opened my mouth to say something he tossed in a piece of you-know-what. I just tilted my head and let it fall on the floor. What I do remember is that it didn't taste bad at all but then I was probably tasting the breaded coating and the oil.

We went to a French restaurant where my husband ate snails but I am not that brave. If I thought about how many legs are on a shrimp and what they are related to in the animal world I would probably never eat one again. I like scallops and clams but they are mollusks like the snails, so go figure.

One thing I cannot stomach is goat cheese. I have tried to eat it but it is just nasty to me, like the smell of goats and the barn floor. I do like sheep's milk cheese. Oh, well.

Cats know your every thought. They don't care, but they know.

He who dislikes a cat was in his former life a rat.

Forum Rules violators will be shredded! Read my claws!

Vocatus atque non Vocatus Deus aderit

Cathairetic
Old March 8th, 2011, 6:47 am
Sixth Year

Hailing from Asia, I probably would have eaten food that would be considered "bizarre" somewhere else, but are actually rather common, everyday things that we eat. I have eaten innards of animals, such as intestines, kidney, liver, heart e.t.c. In fact, in most food courts here, we have a pig's intestine stall. It's as common as a noodle stall. But I haven't had innards in a very long time. More recently, I have had chicken's feet and frog's legs. I was quite surprised that chicken's feet was considered something bizarre and strange. It's actually rather normal for us to have it in soups or stews. Honestly though, chicken's feet doesn't have much taste to it. Frog's legs taste like a mixture of fish and chicken.

Gryffindor

UnicornSeeker8718 (Pottermore)
Old March 9th, 2011, 4:38 pm
Professor Emeritus

I would like to know why, when someone wants you to try a new food, the food is always described with,"it tastes just like chicken." I have eaten frog legs and I am not usually afraid to try anything once but, if you are in a restaurant, why pay a fortune for something exotic if "it tastes just like chicken?" Just order the chicken. It's cheaper.

As for 'exotic' fruits, I don't enjoy mangoes or papayas. They're a little acrid for my taste.

Cathairetic
Old March 12th, 2011, 5:14 am
Sixth Year

I have no idea why people say "it tastes like chicken". Maybe chicken has a very simple, basic taste and we tend to associate other foods to it, especially exotic ones.

I hate papayas. They taste and smell like boiled socks. But I love mangoes. Mangoes are sweet, rich, heavenly and have such a distinctive flavour to them. My love for mangoes is second only to my love of chocolate, so you know how much I love them. When I don't get my mango fix in the fruit, I'd get it in canned mangoes in local desserts.

Has anyone eaten durians? Durians are prickly and green on the outside, and the fruit is yellow and very stinky. It's local to Singapore and other Asian countries. It's an acquaired taste. I'm not fond of it, but my mother can eat a dozen seeds. I have no idea why they call durian fruits though. They're made of fats and slightly creamy. They contain no vitamins whatsoever, but a lot of fats. To me, they just don't seem like fruits.

Gryffindor

UnicornSeeker8718 (Pottermore)

Last edited by MC2456; March 12th, 2011 at 5:28 am.
Old March 15th, 2011, 9:35 pm
First Year

1. What's the most bizzare thing you've eaten?
I've eaten onion ice cream. (I feel like this needs explaining - I used to be a girl scout and we did a troop project where we profiled a country and presented it at a booth. Our country was France and my troop leader had just gotten back from France. While she was there she ate onion ice cream. It actually wasn't that bad but, I wouldn't say it was good either...)

I would have to say the grossest thing I've ever eaten Chocolate Chip Beer Cake. I know some people like Beer Cake but, I must say I'm not a big fan. And the chocolate chips just threw the entire flavor off.
The surprisingly tastiest thing I've ever eaten is calamari. It has a hard taste to describe it's actually really good in small doses. (Just don't eat it like salsa because to much is just...)

3. What made you want to try a bizzare food?
I have two friends (they're twins) that are from Sweden and their dad is Greek so, they eat some pretty different food (for me, an American). When ever I eat at their house I eat a combination of Greek/Swedish food. I never want to be rude and not eat it so, I do. And usually it's really, really good.

I would love to try different types of meat, like from wild animals. I've eaten alligator and buffalo but, I'd love to try more. I will never try a banana bread muffin again because, frankly it's not very good.

5. What bizzare food would you someday like to try?
I would love to try sushi. I know it's not very bizzare food but, it's bizzare food to me because, it has raw fish. That's a no go with my family.

6. If you tried your bizzare foods in a foreign country, what country was it?
I've eaten Greek and Swedish food. And the average Chinese and Japanese foods. I've also had some Hawaiian, food from the Philippians, and Thai food though. They're all really good.

Old August 10th, 2011, 6:44 am
First Year

Probably deep fried rattlesnake. It was actually very tasty, it was kind of like super chewy tough chicken.

The grossest food was probably these mystery cookies I got from a local Asian market. They came in a beautiful tin, but tasted like squid and plastic. To this day I have no idea what they were.
I had sand shark that was absolutely delicious.
Scariest food came deep fried oreo cookies, there was a little voice in my head that kept telling me it would cause a heart attack.
Most exotic still probably goes to deep fried Rattlesnake.

I'm not a risk taker most of the time. However I am fearless when it comes to food, I will tru just about anything.

I would love to have shark or rattlesnake again. I learned my lesson with the mystery cookies though.

I would really like to try a Durian fruit.

All the weird stuff I have ever tried was done within the US. Can't say I have done much traveling abroad though.

Old February 9th, 2012, 11:46 am
Second Year

I'm not sure. I suppose it's a toss-up between Sabeetche (a raw fish dish) and beef lung.
Although, stuffed radish has to be the most unusual.

I'm not a big fan of raw fish, so sabeetche, sushi, and raw herrings don't really appeal to me. I suppose the most exotic was probably a slice of octopus in a bowl of Japanese soup. I probably wouldn't have eaten it if i'd known what it was. The most surprisingly tasty food was lung. I first had it grilled or roasted, but I have had since it in stew as well. The texture is a bit odd, but it tastes good.

Usually social pressure. My mother nagged me for years to try shrimp and lobster. The Japanese soup was eaten at an end of course outing with all the course participants at an "authentic" Japanese restaurant. And The Lung was first served to me at a Rosh HaShanah feast as one of the "signs" of the festival. I have tried sushi at catered events only because it's so popular, and I ordered the Sabeetche at a restaurant because I didn't realize it was a raw fish dish.

I'm disinclined to eat Sabeetche again, but I did like Lung, and I have since ordered it in a Yemenite restaurant, and cooked it myself.

Possibly Haggis.

Israel

Last edited by Quickquill; February 9th, 2012 at 11:58 am.
Old February 11th, 2012, 3:50 pm
Professor Emeritus

I have just remembered that I have eaten dill pickle ice cream. It was at one of those gazillion flavour shops that change them all the time and the man there said that they had made it just for fun. It didn't taste bad. It actually tasted like dill pickles.

My latest creep-out is Chinese food. For some reason the restaurants around here will say that it is beef on the menu or on the buffet but when you taste it, especially if it is in a stir fry, you can't tell what it is. And what do they put in the little dumplings that are in Won Ton Soup? Ugh.

Once I ate in a very posh restaurant and had a filet mignon which was perfectly cooked but the vegetables served with it were half-raw and the pea pods had not had the strings removed. As I tried to chew them the strings came loose in the back of my throat and choked me. I had to reach down there and pull them out and that is not something one should do in public but I was gagging.

Some time after that I was eating dinner at a daughter's house and she served these peas in the pod. I asked her if she had removed the strings and she said no, you needn't do that at all. I tried one and was gagging again so I had to sit at table and string all the pea pods. My family thought I was being too picky. Has anyone else had this experience or is it just me?

I always pull the strings off celery stalks before cutting them and, of course, string the peas also. No one wants bits stuck in their teeth.

The grossest thing for me is the white stringy bits in raw eggs. I have to get them off the yolk. Ugh! It makes me feel sick just to think about it. Recently I saw a cooking show on television, I think it was Ann Burrell, and she got out the icky white stringy bits, too. She they were tough and had a nasty mouth feel. Hurray for Ann!

Cathairetic
Old February 27th, 2012, 12:07 am
First Year

Deep fried mealworm, durian ice cream, dried durian, rabbit (though I wouldn't consider it bizarre)

Grossest: dried durian
Surprising: durian ice cream
Scariest: dunno, never ate anyithing really scary
Exotic: mealworm

Dunno, I like to try new things, and I'm not easily frightened or grossed out. I believe such emotions towards generally safe things are irrational.

Rabbit and durian ice cream were pretty good, mealworm wasn't bad, but didn't really taste like anything but the flavouring. I'm never trying dried durian agan though.

Fugu, that seems interesting.

P.S. Marmite is delicious! But I wouldn't call it exotic.

You say Death Eater as if it's a bad thing!

sorted
Old February 27th, 2012, 12:28 pm
Second Year

I find Marmite edible, but I wouldn't classify it as delicious. Being American, I prefer peanut butter. To each his own.

Old February 29th, 2012, 7:03 am
Professor Emeritus

Aaaaaaaaaa! Fugu? Are you nuts? I wouldn't take a chance on that.

Cathairetic
Old March 17th, 2012, 1:28 am
First Year

A couple of years ago, my mother (who is a school bus driver) took preschoolers to a buffalo ranch/farm for the day. She comes back with a package of buffalo for us to try. So being the ever-curious person that I am, I decide I'm going to taste it. It doesn't taste so bad.

Old March 25th, 2012, 10:21 am
She Who Walks Behind

It's a long time since I posted last. In the meantime I've eaten:

Bison burger
Kangaroo steak
Llama stew
Taro
Tamarillo (tomatoe disguised as a plum... eww)
and other stuff I can't remember.

I somehow would like to meet a Durian from far far away, just to see if the "rumours" are true.

The End of the Dream.
Old March 30th, 2012, 2:47 am
Professor Emeritus

Recently my husband and I ate dinner with some friends at their house. They served some kind of Indian curry. Sorry, all you Brits, but that was just absolutely disgusting. I sort of picked at it and made it look like I had eaten it. Too many strange spices all tossed together just made it yucky, it was too spicy hot AND sweet at the same time. This is one cuisine I will have to pass on.

Cathairetic
Old April 11th, 2012, 3:16 am
Hogwarts Graduate

I have had ground buffalo meat. My mother-in-law made it into hamburgers. Tasted good too. Once a year, a few grocery stores would sell the buffalo meat. It was exotic to us. But, it really wasn't.

I made meatloaf for dinner, using a recipe that I used before. I usually don't have any trouble getting it out of the pan, but today, it just fell apart. I let it sit, but it still fell apart.
Bummer.

Old May 29th, 2012, 11:48 pm
First Year

Not a big fan of curries either, I find the combination of salt, chili and strong spices just too much. I love 'hot' food, but not strong spices (like curry and nutmeg), and I definitely hate salt. I'm half Indonesian, and my European grandparents have lived in Indonesia for a while too, so pretty much everyone in my family likes heavily spiced, salt food. Durian doesn't taste bad at all, it just smells pretty strong. I've never eaten fresh durian, but the ice cream was very good.

You say Death Eater as if it's a bad thing!

sorted
Old October 25th, 2012, 5:52 am
Professor Emeritus

Back in the 1970's I worked at NASA. I was on the second shift so lunch was around 8PM. We used to go out to a grocery store and get sandwiches or whatever. One day I bought an avocado and enjoyed that for lunch. What was odd was that no one else knew what an avocado was.

In the early 80's we were eating in a Manhattan restraurant and I ordered an artichoke vinaigrette. None of our companions knew what an artichoke was!

Which reminds me of when we first moved to Virginia from California in 1971. We brought the makings of tacos to a church pot luck and no one there had ever heard of tacos. In fact, I think at that time there were no Mexican restaurtants in the area. Now we practically have one at every intersection.

Americans used to be really ignorant about foods. Now what was common in Europe is common here also. But you can tell who shops at what groceries by what is sold there. Go to the basic stores where prices are low and you won't find many foods that my family regularly eat. You will find aisles of Mexican stapes, however. Where I shop you can find grass-fed beef, boodles of different or exotic vegetables and fruits, and rainbow colors of sea salts, for example. It seems that the less junk in the food, the more it costs.

Cathairetic
Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > The Burrow: Mrs Weasley's Hobbies & Crafts > Cooking & Recipe Exchange