Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > The Burrow: Mrs Weasley's Hobbies & Crafts > Computers

Antivirus software

Old July 20th, 2010, 9:55 am
First Year

Re: Antivirus software

As per my review AVG is a good antivirus program that gives you more security. It alerts you whenever if find out any virus type or any other malicious program. It asks for taking the proper actions to the user. It is a free software program so no need to worry for economy concern.

Old July 29th, 2010, 6:34 am
Sixth Year

I use Avast Free edition. It's easy to use, has loud speech warnings, doesn't slow down the system like Norton does, and is free for personal use. I've been using it for three years now, and nothing has slipped past it. You can get it from Avast.com. I also run SpyBotSD or CCleaner occasionally, to clean up the registry.

Society for Protection of Canon Snape
Society of Nutters Obsessed with Ginny
Snape's Not Alan Rickman Club
Admitting I Could Be Wrong Club

Last edited by vivekgk; July 29th, 2010 at 6:46 am.
Old March 17th, 2012, 6:28 am
First Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seiren View Post
Hey all. I'm looking for something to replace the Norton that came on my new laptop. I was wondering if anyone was up to speed on what's the best antivirus software - free and/or paid? Any suggestions?
Hello Seiren,

Good Morning, hope you will be well!!

Mr. Seiren, can you tell me why you want to un-install or remove the Norton Security to your system? Personally, I prefer it (Norton Antivirus) and using last 5 years. It's have no match and doing well job. It's one-thing who made it un-matched and that one is it's "Child Lock" facility. As well as, if your laptop is connected to internet, it's auto-update function you never put your time and effort.

So, here I will advice you to keep your Norton Spam Protection tool.

Hope you will mind it.

Good Luck!!

Old April 11th, 2012, 8:06 am
First Year

I would also recommend Avast Antivirus, Free version is good enough for normal use.

Old April 12th, 2012, 8:23 am
First Year

AVG and Kaspersky will solve your problem. Free trial is available to help you decide.

Old April 13th, 2012, 6:35 am
Chief Warlock

Please be aware of that CoS Forums carries no responsibility whatsoever for any advise given by members. Anyone who follows any advise given here does so at their own risk.

Old April 25th, 2012, 10:35 pm
First Year

I've been using the Avast Free edition for a few years now, and I'm very happy with it. I'm still running Windows XP Home Edition Service Pack 3 on my PC, but it also works great with my laptops running Windows 7. You can set how sensitive you want the scanner and shields.

Old May 18th, 2013, 3:53 am
Member of the Order

Avast has come a long ways. I just saw it recently used at work. I was impressed.

I'd like to add Kapersky's TDSSKiller for that pesky virus that causes DNS alterations. Had a problem with rootkits, and this was a quick and easy fix.

All fighters are pig-headed some way or another: some part of them always thinks they know better than you about something. Truth is: even if they're wrong, even if that one thing is going to be the ruin of them, if you can beat that last bad out of them... they ain't fighters at all.

---Eddie Scrap-Iron Dupris (Million Dollar Baby)
Old May 19th, 2013, 4:01 am
Clumsy Interrupting Cheese Toupeé & Scrambled Eggs

Yes it has. It found a couple of viruses and a trojan horse on my laptop that Norton didn't even notice. Really like it. Haven't run into any real trouble since the computer people that I usually go to installed it.

Also, ran into a nasty rootkit... Avast didn't notice it sadly (but no anti virus program is perfect). But I did when I was trying to get onto my laptop, it wouldn't let me log in. So I figured that a rootkit somehow wormed its way onto it. I got rid of the bad, which was the Facebook Messenger virus, and left the ugly, which was the rootkit . Thank god for some good computer repair people. They were able to fix my laptop up and get rid of said rootkit.

Didn't have to start back at square one, thank god. But I still ordered a set of recovery discs anyways just to be on the safe side.

My first ship, Perry Mason and Della Street .

Credit goes to Viacom for the Perry Mason films, no copyright infringement intended.

Sad about the upcoming closing of the forums, but I won't forget you guys, thanks for the memories!

Proud fan of the TV show, The X-Files and proud shipper of Mulder and Scully!!

Last edited by Fawkesfan1; October 7th, 2013 at 2:36 am.
Old November 5th, 2013, 6:11 pm
Member of the Order

Something nasty, for the sake of interest:

Meet “badBIOS,” the mysterious Mac and PC malware that jumps airgaps
Three years ago, security consultant Dragos Ruiu was in his lab when he noticed something highly unusual: his MacBook Air, on which he had just installed a fresh copy of OS X, spontaneously updated the firmware that helps it boot. Stranger still, when Ruiu then tried to boot the machine off a CD ROM, it refused. He also found that the machine could delete data and undo configuration changes with no prompting. He didn't know it then, but that odd firmware update would become a high-stakes malware mystery that would consume most of his waking hours.
In the following months, Ruiu observed more odd phenomena that seemed straight out of a science-fiction thriller. A computer running the Open BSD operating system also began to modify its settings and delete its data without explanation or prompting. His network transmitted data specific to the Internet's next-generation IPv6 networking protocol, even from computers that were supposed to have IPv6 completely disabled. Strangest of all was the ability of infected machines to transmit small amounts of network data with other infected machines even when their power cords and Ethernet cables were unplugged and their Wi-Fi and Bluetooth cards were removed. Further investigation soon showed that the list of affected operating systems also included multiple variants of Windows and Linux.
"We were like, 'Okay, we're totally owned,'" Ruiu told Ars. "'We have to erase all our systems and start from scratch,' which we did. It was a very painful exercise. I've been suspicious of stuff around here ever since."
In the intervening three years, Ruiu said, the infections have persisted, almost like a strain of bacteria that's able to survive extreme antibiotic therapies. Within hours or weeks of wiping an infected computer clean, the odd behavior would return. The most visible sign of contamination is a machine's inability to boot off a CD, but other, more subtle behaviors can be observed when using tools such as Process Monitor, which is designed for troubleshooting and forensic investigations.
Another intriguing characteristic: in addition to jumping "airgaps" designed to isolate infected or sensitive machines from all other networked computers, the malware seems to have self-healing capabilities.

-----------------------
One of those *** stories that I found interesting.

Weaving a lot of old tricks together...ooof

All fighters are pig-headed some way or another: some part of them always thinks they know better than you about something. Truth is: even if they're wrong, even if that one thing is going to be the ruin of them, if you can beat that last bad out of them... they ain't fighters at all.

---Eddie Scrap-Iron Dupris (Million Dollar Baby)
Old November 7th, 2013, 3:10 am

Holy insert word here . That isn't good at all.

Especially if someone tried to incorporate it into rootkits, ransomware and that sort of thing. It would screw people's computers, both PC and Mac, royally.

Ran into a trojan horse recently, that somehow got onto my laptop without me even downloading a thing . Thank god Super Anti Spyware finding it and getting rid of it.

Credit goes to Viacom for the Perry Mason films, no copyright infringement intended.

Sad about the upcoming closing of the forums, but I won't forget you guys, thanks for the memories!

Last edited by Fawkesfan1; November 8th, 2013 at 6:27 pm.
Old November 11th, 2013, 8:55 pm
Sixth Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fawkesfan1 View Post
Holy insert word here . That isn't good at all.

Especially if someone tried to incorporate it into rootkits, ransomware and that sort of thing. It would screw people's computers, both PC and Mac, royally.
I wouldn't worry. As far as I know, others have not been able to verify Ruiu's claim. Its theoretically possible but overkill for most cases except targeted individuals/organizations.

If a rootkit could compromise some device firmware on a system, that would be enough for 99%+ cases. The average user is not going to flash his BIOS or hard disk controller etc.

Old November 11th, 2013, 9:48 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfbrother View Post
I wouldn't worry. As far as I know, others have not been able to verify Ruiu's claim. Its theoretically possible but overkill for most cases except targeted individuals/organizations.

If a rootkit could compromise some device firmware on a system, that would be enough for 99%+ cases. The average user is not going to flash his BIOS or hard disk controller etc.
Yea but it would be scary if something like that did happen .

It's bad enough with regular rootkits. They're nasty enough. I'd never want to get another one of those on my computer again.

Old January 15th, 2014, 12:00 am

Just installed Spybot S & D onto my laptop, stuff is really good. Had it on my old computer some years back and it worked well. So it's nice to see it's even better now. It's even got a scan to help find any rootkits. It's an admin tool, but it comes in handy. Also installed HijackThis. Both programs do a good job in terms of finding any programs that don't belong on your computer.

Last edited by Fawkesfan1; January 15th, 2014 at 7:00 pm.
Old January 16th, 2014, 4:33 am
First Year

Does Norton Internet Security interfere with Spybot S & D?

Old January 16th, 2014, 6:35 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by HermioneLeviosa View Post
Does Norton Internet Security interfere with Spybot S & D?
I don't think it does. But it might be good to double check to make sure. Some companies don't play well together.

Old January 17th, 2014, 3:42 am
First Year

Thank you. You wouldn't happen to know the best way to check would you?

Old January 18th, 2014, 12:29 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by HermioneLeviosa View Post
Thank you. You wouldn't happen to know the best way to check would you?
You're welcome . Check out Norton's site to see if anyone has used Spybot S & D.

Old January 18th, 2014, 6:35 am
First Year

Thanks again.