Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > Harry Potter > The Cloak

J.K. Rowling's Official Website Thread v.16

Old April 12th, 2012, 7:45 pm
Secret Chocolate Keeper

J.K. Rowling's Official Website Thread v.16

As Jo's renewed website is open now, maybe it's time for a new version of this thread.

Version 15 is here: J.K. Rowling's Official Website Thread v.15

Sponsored Links
Old April 12th, 2012, 8:16 pm
She Who Walks Behind

Re: J.K. Rowling's Official Website Thread v.16

Can't say I'm impressed with the new site. I miss all the informations and little nifty things from the old one. Now it's more like Facebook with this timeline.

The End of the Dream.
Old April 12th, 2012, 8:24 pm
Mrs Gilbert Grape

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tenshi View Post
Can't say I'm impressed with the new site. I miss all the informations and little nifty things from the old one. Now it's more like Facebook with this timeline.
Yeah I felt the same way about it. It didn't give much chance to explore like before.

Johnny Depp at the Dark Shadows Premiere.
Photo courtesy from twitpik.com
Johnny Depp is my possession, and no one else's, however much they might think so and claim....
Old April 12th, 2012, 9:10 pm
Snidget of Champions

Quote:
Originally Posted by xhanax315 View Post
Yeah I felt the same way about it. It didn't give much chance to explore like before.
This is my first impression, too. The previous layout was very unique and imaginative. While the new version is more original than most websites I encounter, it lacks the intrigue of the other. Though perhaps things will be easier to find.

It looks like there are still several bugs to work out. Has anyone been able to access the Harry Potter link in the bottom right, or the text-only version? Does anyone have an idea if all the information from her old site will still be accessible?

A Place to Gather Post-Closing: Please check out the unofficial CoS Students LiveJournal page to keep in touch with CoS members after the forums close: http://cos-students.livejournal.com
WalnutFirebolt138
Old April 12th, 2012, 9:15 pm
She Who Walks Behind

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrSleepyHead View Post
This is my first impression, too. The previous layout was very unique and imaginative. While the new version is more original than most websites I encounter, it lacks the intrigue of the other. Though perhaps things will be easier to find.
There's not much content at the moment, mostly things we knew for a long time already. Ok, except for the name of the new book.

Quote:
It looks like there are still several bugs to work out. Has anyone been able to access the Harry Potter link in the bottom right, or the text-only version?
Earlier there was a server issue when I tried to access the bottom links, but it was working fine for me around 45 min ago.

Quote:
Does anyone have an idea if all the information from her old site will still be accessible?
I certainly hope so. I'd like to have the HP FAQ section back.

The End of the Dream.

Last edited by Tenshi; April 12th, 2012 at 9:18 pm.
Old April 12th, 2012, 9:16 pm
Secret Chocolate Keeper

The text only version looked really boring the only time I manged to get in to it.

Old April 12th, 2012, 9:18 pm
Embroidered by imaginatio

Quote:

It looks like there are still several bugs to work out. Has anyone been able to access the Harry Potter link in the bottom right, or the text-only version? Does anyone have an idea if all the information from her old site will still be accessible?
The HP link just makes the timeline move to the Pottermore segment. So nothing leads to the old website info as far as I can see. But maybe they will add a link to the old cached site later on?

There is a FAQ segment btw http://www.jkrowling.com/en_GB/about...qs-and-rumours

"I'm a leaf on the wind...watch how I soar."

"Chickens come home to roost."

"It's okay...I-I'm a leaf on the wind."

Loveliest Care Bear. Expert Sig Changer
Old April 12th, 2012, 10:42 pm
Fourth Year

I do miss the old website, with the portkeys to the different rooms and the locked door () but now I've had a chance to have a quick look around the new one I don't think it's that bad. Redesigning the site is obviously part of JKR moving away from Harry Potter, so I'm not surprised all the little tid-bits are gone, though it would be good if they made that information available some other way. I suppose a lot of that will be on other fansites so it shouldn't be too difficult to find, I hope.

Images taken from http://dft.ba/-2M6r
Do not anger the kitty!Avengers.

Learning to Live Again One shots
Old April 12th, 2012, 10:51 pm
Hogwarts Graduate

I can't access the site. I can put in her name, pick a language. When I click on the tabs at the bottom, nothing happens. So, I don't know if it's her web site having problems or if it is me?

Old April 13th, 2012, 4:36 pm
Hogwarts Graduate

Quote:
Originally Posted by gelowo93 View Post
I do miss the old website, with the portkeys to the different rooms and the locked door () but now I've had a chance to have a quick look around the new one I don't think it's that bad. Redesigning the site is obviously part of JKR moving away from Harry Potter, so I'm not surprised all the little tid-bits are gone, though it would be good if they made that information available some other way. I suppose a lot of that will be on other fansites so it shouldn't be too difficult to find, I hope.
I miss the old look too but I haven't been there in years so it doesn't matter. I really hope the new book is fascinating so I'm glad to see her growing away from the Harry Potter stuff.

Old April 13th, 2012, 5:09 pm
Sixth Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tenshi View Post
The puzzles and things were fun, but time consuming. But, like you said, it's a bit like facebook. But it seems to just be blurbs about events. There is no way to open and read more about specific things? When you "Click more" you don't really "Get more" it's just a little blurb. So, you can't see the things they are talking about? Articles? Interviews? Event coverage?

Old April 13th, 2012, 6:56 pm
Leader of the GLITTELUTION

I just checked out the site. I didn't check every link, but I clicked around some to get a feel for it. I think this new design is probably better for her because it shows the visitor more information more easily, but isn't as fun for us. I really enjoyed the unlockable content.

VIVA LA GLITTELUTION
Looking for a home away from home?
Hogsmeade ~ Apparate.me
Old April 13th, 2012, 8:33 pm
Second Year

Has anyone read through the new FAQ section yet? Some interesting information about her life as a writer and advice to others. Also, I don't know if anyone else has mentioned this yet but, it sounds like the long-rumoured encyclopaedia may become a reality:
Quote:
For a long time I have been promising an encyclopaedia of Harry’s world, and I have started work on this now – some of it forms the new content in Pottermore. It is likely to be a time-consuming job, but when finished I shall donate all royalties to charity.
To me this sounds like its going to be published instead of simply a part of Pottermore which makes me very excited

Twitter - @NiallJAdams
Old April 14th, 2012, 12:33 am
Hogwarts Graduate

All I was able to see was that Jo has a new book coming out in September. I found out about the encyclopedia thru Mugglenet.
having new design to her website is good, if there was useful information that you can access.

Old April 14th, 2012, 4:51 am
Curse Breaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by ignisia View Post
I just checked out the site. I didn't check every link, but I clicked around some to get a feel for it. I think this new design is probably better for her because it shows the visitor more information more easily, but isn't as fun for us. I really enjoyed the unlockable content.
Yes, but with Pottermore, the baton has been passed, so to speak. Still, if she is really working on an HP encyclopedia, that will be totally awesome.

....I miss David Tennant....
Old April 14th, 2012, 4:51 am
Squee-worthy

I'm very happy to see that Jo is working on the encyclopedia. I was worried that with Pottermore she would use that instead of the "Scottish Book," so this is good news.

Old May 2nd, 2012, 9:24 pm
Snidget of Champions

Quote:
Originally Posted by HedwigOwl View Post
Yes, but with Pottermore, the baton has been passed, so to speak.
I just hope that the content from her old website will be transferred to Pottermore. Otherwise, we will lose a lot of the magic of the "Potter days." I know I never discovered everything I could on JKR's website, and I will be disappointed if I never get the opportunity to find it all. And then there was a lot of reference material that is much more difficult to track down now. Hopefully Pottermore will be the outsource for all that.

A Place to Gather Post-Closing: Please check out the unofficial CoS Students LiveJournal page to keep in touch with CoS members after the forums close: http://cos-students.livejournal.com
WalnutFirebolt138
Old May 2nd, 2012, 10:26 pm
Hogwarts Graduate

Quote:
I just hope that the content from her old website will be transferred to Pottermore. Otherwise, we will lose a lot of the magic of the "Potter days." I know I never discovered everything I could on JKR's website, and I will be disappointed if I never get the opportunity to find it all. And then there was a lot of reference material that is much more difficult to track down now. Hopefully Pottermore will be the outsource for all that.
Oooooooohhhhhhhh, the calendar with the birthdays is gone!

SEVERUS SNAPE
HEADMASTER
HOGWARTS SCHOOL OF WITCHCRAFT AND WIZARDRY
1997-98
Old May 2nd, 2012, 11:53 pm
Fourth Year

Looks like the information that used to be on JKR's website will be on Pottermore:

Quote:
Originally Posted by http://www.jkrowling.com/en_GB/#/harry-potter/pottermore
Potter fans might have noticed that some of the material about Harry’s world is no longer on J.K. Rowling’s website. Please note that it will eventually find a home on Pottermore.

Images taken from http://dft.ba/-2M6r
Do not anger the kitty!Avengers.

Learning to Live Again One shots
Old May 3rd, 2012, 2:22 am
Hogwarts Graduate

Quote:
Originally Posted by gelowo93 View Post
Looks like the information that used to be on JKR's website will be on Pottermore:
Sure, everyone knows the info is going to wind up on Pottermore, but the images (like the birthday calendar) are gone. Of course, I saved Sev's special page . . .

SEVERUS SNAPE
HEADMASTER
HOGWARTS SCHOOL OF WITCHCRAFT AND WIZARDRY
1997-98
Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > Harry Potter > The Cloak