Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > Diagon Alley > Sports

The NFL Football Thread v2

Old April 16th, 2012, 10:31 pm
Zonko's Employee

Re: The NFL Football Thread v2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fawkesfan1 View Post
Damn. That's just not right at all . And not playing by the rules by any means. That's playing a dirty game of football, plain and simple.
Yeah, and get this, they can write off the resultant fines as tax deductions!

http://www.buzzfeed.com/ktlincoln/at...tax-deductible

Old April 17th, 2012, 7:16 pm
Clumsy Interrupting Cheese Toupeť & Scrambled Eggs

Quote:
Originally Posted by flimseycauldron View Post
Yeah, and get this, they can write off the resultant fines as tax deductions!

http://www.buzzfeed.com/ktlincoln/at...tax-deductible
Wow. That's just wrong , they shouldn't be able to do something like that.

My first ship, Perry Mason and Della Street .

Credit goes to Viacom for the Perry Mason films, no copyright infringement intended.

Sad about the upcoming closing of the forums, but I won't forget you guys, thanks for the memories!

Proud fan of the TV show, The X-Files and proud shipper of Mulder and Scully!!
Old June 23rd, 2012, 7:49 pm
First Year

Pats will win the SB. FlimseyCauldron,I love the Pats just as much as you. Sorry about SB 46.

Old July 6th, 2012, 4:57 am
First Year

My playoff predictions:

AFC:

6.Buffalo
3.Denver W

5.Steelers W
4.Ravens

3.Denver
2.Houston W

5.Steelers
1.New England W

2. Houston
1.New England W

NFC

6.Chicago W
3.Philadelphia

5.Detroit W
4.Atlanta

6.Chicago W
1.Green Bay

5.Detroit
2.San Francisco W

6.Chicago
2.San Francisco W

SB

San Francisco 24
New England 21

P.S: I have no bias in my predictions.

Old July 6th, 2012, 5:36 pm
Curse Breaker

All your playtoff teams are certainly possible, and I guess you're assuming that Cutler and Forte will stay healthy in Chicago. There's still an ocean of variables. I can see San Fran doing the same thing to New England that the Giants did (or claimed they did*grumble*).

You expect Denver to win the West with a suspect offensive line, questionable running gaeme, and unproven receivers? Certainly possible, but you're banking on Manning remaining upright for the whole season. Understandable, but still a big gamble.

Niners are an interesting choice. They still don't have a quarterback, but their defense and kicker can probably carry them.

What's the story on the NFC East? You only have Philly making it to the playoffs. Why? Eli's luck finally turns? The defense regresses? Explain please.

Philly is also interesting. Vick has yet to play an entire healthy season, the defense is still in transition.

I honestly don't understand the Chicago pick. Do you think the Bears will be as opportunistic as last year? Are you banking on Forte being all the way back from a pretty severe injury? Cutler will probably be fine, but a large percentage of that offense runs on Forte.

For a lot of reasons, I like the New England pick, but again--they let their top running back go (they locked Gronk up and franchised Welker). So, the defense is a work in progress mostly from castoffs and misfits from other squads. Gronk is coming back from a major injury. The leader of the offensive line just retired. It seems like they're banking on Kevin Falk to be the feature back this year because the young guns they got have some speed, but not great hands (pass-catching and fumble problems). They still don't have a vertical passing threat. They should be good and I think they have the experience and the grit to contend for a title, but there are some rather large question marks.

No worries. No spoilers here.

Last edited by jordmundt6; July 7th, 2012 at 9:03 pm.
Old July 7th, 2012, 9:49 pm
First Year

Well jordmundt, I think the Eagles last season wasted their talent and for the Giants, they are too inconsistent, and like in 09-10, it will catch with them. For SF, they are a great ground game, defense and they have an improved recieving corp to go with Vernon Davis. For Chicago, that defense will carry them and Cutler has Marshall to throw to. Plus Forte and Michael Bush will carry the offense and don't forget Devin Hester.

Old July 9th, 2012, 9:34 pm
First Year

Projected 2012 Standings.

AFC West:

1.Denver
2.San Diego
3.Kansas City
4.Oakland

AFC North:

1. Baltimore
2.Pittsburgh
3.Cincinnati
4.Cleveland

AFC South:

1.Houston
2.Tennessee
3.Jacksonville
4.Indianapolis

AFC East:

1.New England
2.Buffalo
3.Jets
4.Miami

NFC West:

1.San Francisco
2.Seattle
3.Arizona
4.St.Louis

NFC North:

1.Green Bay
2.Detroit
3.Chicago
4.Minnesota

NFC South:

1.Atlanta
2.New Orleans
3.Carolina
4.Tampa Bay

NFC East:

1.Philadelphia
2.Giants
3.Dallas
4.Washington

Old July 11th, 2012, 12:28 am
Curse Breaker

So, let's see. You have only Only Denver from the AFC West making the playoffs and only Philly from the NFC East. Only San Fran from the NFC West and only Houston from the AFC South.

So, unless you expect a runaway season from Peyton and the Bronc cast-offs, this looks like the end of the Norv Turner roller coaster ride in San Diego (missing the playoffs three straight years and under .500 in two of three). That coupled with a spectacular lack of success in spite of a hugely talented offense and an allegedly gifted defense would mean he'd get shown the door.

I can see the West being ugly, and the Raiders have been seriously unstable, but they've been competitive and Manning, even if completely healthy might not be able to gloss over all the other holes in Denver.

You see Detroit taking another step forward and Buffalo surging back to relevance after showing some early season flashes last year.

Explain Washington and Carolina to me. Do you see Carolina having a tougher schedule this year? Will defenses become more adept at stopping Cam Newton?

RG3 looks like an actual quarterback. He should definitely be a step or two above the combo of Grossman and Beck. Even with a tough schedule, why couldn't Washington end up say, 8-8? Not in the playoffs, of course...but not in the division basement either with everyone rebuilding and shaky.

Old July 25th, 2012, 6:23 am
First Year

Been away on vacation. I think Carolina might be better but Cam won't have as good of season. Well for Washington, too many holes for RG3 to have to have alot of success.

Old July 26th, 2012, 5:49 pm
First Year

Everyone look at http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/story/1...sound-familiar Tell us what you think.

Old August 19th, 2012, 6:24 am
First Year

Peyton better stop throwing interceptions or they are in for a long year.

Old August 20th, 2012, 7:05 am
Curse Breaker

Both interceptions he threw hit the intended receiver in the hands and bounced up. Much as I don't like the Manning brothers, I can't fault him for this. However, if the trend continues into the season...yes, it could be a long year. However, it's important to remember that it's preseason. One of the worst Raider teams in recent memory went undefeated in the preseason and barely scraped together three wins when it actually counted. There was tremendous (delusional) buzz around the Lions in '08 after a supposedly "solid" preseason where they didn't lose any games. Whatever happened to that team? The Jets' offensive line looks terrible right now, but no one's operating anything beyond man-on-man blocking...so it could be an illusion. I rather hope not, but let's be realistic.

Injuries in preseason are noteworthy. Most other matters are just white noise. I am frustrated that the Pats did the following

1. Franchise Welker because of perceived injury risk, rolling the dice on alienating Brady's most healthy and reliable target.
2. Let Law Firm walk leaving backfield duties to Kevin Falk (an excellent team player, but coming off two injury-plagued seasons and nearing retirement) Danny Woodhead (too small to effectively pass-block no matter how tenacious he is) and a couple of unproven second year backs with okay speed but questionable hands and documented fumble problems. Now, if they pick up Grant or someone like him, they could alleviate some of the issues there, but I haven't heard anything solid about a free agent pickup.

Old August 24th, 2012, 10:59 pm
First Year

I think the Cardinals should play Skelton since he wins games.

Man, I am blown away about Russell Wilson this preaseason. He might be ROY if this continues.

Man, I am blown away about Russell Wilson this preaseason. He might be ROY if this continues.

Old August 29th, 2012, 3:51 am
Curse Breaker

I dunno. It's preseason. Remember how skeptical everyone was of Cam Newton from a slow preseason last year?

I think you're right about Skelton.

I'm concerned about the Pats' offensive line. If they don't get it together, it won't matter how many targets Brady has. They'll struggle.

Old August 30th, 2012, 1:36 am
First Year

Well jordmunt, with me being a Pats fan, it concerns me but they will handle it soon. BTW, new SB prediction. Houston 34 Green Bay 31

Old September 7th, 2012, 4:52 am
Curse Breaker

I sure hope they do. Backing of a Pats' Super Bowl prediction to avoid jinxing them?

I don't know how healthy Schaub is, I don't know how healthy Andre Johnson is (and he now has a history of the sort of leg and hamstring problems that plagued Griffey after he left Seattle the first time). I know the thought process is

1. Leading rushing attack + decent quarterback + talented wideouts equals victories.

I truly enjoyed the Giants' defense gagging all over itself on Wednesday.

Old September 7th, 2012, 10:27 am
Sixth Year

2012 PICKS

AFC West:

1. Broncos
2. Chiefs
3. Chargers
4. Raiders

Rationale: I don't trust the San Diego offence to actually come through, think Kansas City will take a step but frankly this is the toughest division to call.

AFC North:
1. Ravens
2. Steelers
3. Bengals
4. Browns

Rationale: As much as this is coloured by my Ravens-fan bias, Big Ben has seriously struggled with injuries. But mainly I'm just biased. Would like the Bengals to make the playoffs again but they have a much tougher schedule this year.

AFC South:
1. Texans
2. Colts
3. Jaguars
4. Titans

Rationale: Luck looks like the real deal but I think it'll be a revamped Colts D that could be the sleeper that puts them in contention for one of the wild-card spots. Not sure they'll actually get it though. Texans should romp through this division and are a potential AFC champ.

AFC East:

1. Patriots
2. Bills
3. Jets
4. Dolphins

Rationale: Pats will blaze it up as usual, but I'd like to see a resurgent Bills challenge for a wild-card.

NFC West:

1. 49ers
2. Seahawks
3. Cardinals
4. Rams

NFC North:

1. Packers
2. Lions
3. Bears
4. Vikings

NFC South:

1. Saints
2. Panthers
3. Falcons
4. Buccs

Rationale: Probably the toughest division. Think this might be Saints year to do it again. Panthers should clinch a wildcard.
NFC East:

1. Giants
2. Cowboys
3. Skins
4. Eagles

Rationale: RGIII looks like the real deal, pity the rest of the team doesn't. Don't fancy Vicks ability to stay healthy.

i'm in slytherin!
Old September 7th, 2012, 1:06 pm
Curse Breaker

How interesting would the NFC West be if New Orleans was still there?

I can see the rationale in all of your division picks--but I confess to something of an anti-Raven bias and I hope that the Giants experience a karmic reversal of the good fortune that befell them in '11.

I don't trust Alex Smith to avoid a flameout yet, so I think that the NFC West might also be tough to call.

Old September 7th, 2012, 1:35 pm
Sixth Year

I'd love to see 49ers do it all again just as that one niggling reminder that it's not all about gunslinging in the NFL now.

Saints are my NFC pick for Superbowl contender though.

i'm in slytherin!
Old September 7th, 2012, 10:54 pm
First Year

Overdose, what is your SB pick. BTW, HOW BOUT THEM COWBOYS! Loved seeing the Giant's fail.

Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > Diagon Alley > Sports