Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > Diagon Alley > Anime

Guilty Pleasures

Old May 16th, 2011, 6:38 pm
Second Year

Guilty Pleasures

We've all done it, at one point or another. We find this series that we like, start showing it to other anime fans, and then they look at you like you have two heads or something. These are our guilty pleasures. Everything from saccharine kiddy shows to stuff you really don't want the rest of the family seeing you watching due to violence or other adult themes, to shows that are legitimately bad but you love them anyway.

(Don't actually name shows that you really are embarrassed to admit to watching)

My thing is the diabetically sweet. I don't really care for naked voodoo dances or stuff blowing up, but give me a show with cute main characters and a lot of Power of Love/Friendship/Magic/Sugar, and I'd watch it gleefully.

So what kind of shows do you consider a guilty pleasure?

Sponsored Links
Old May 16th, 2011, 6:50 pm
Embroidered by imaginatio

Re: Guilty Pleasures

Mod note: Please take care to keep this family friendly, so don't discuss any anime's that violate our forum rules.

"I'm a leaf on the wind...watch how I soar."

"Chickens come home to roost."

"It's okay...I-I'm a leaf on the wind."

Loveliest Care Bear. Expert Sig Changer
Old May 19th, 2011, 4:03 am
Third Year

Petite Princess Yucie for me. I adore this series, but because of the art style and the airy first couple episodes, a lot of the people I show it to dismiss it for a typical kiddy show. I will admit it's very lighthearted, but there are some interesting twists, and the ending gets very heavy - (very unexpected; I liken it to the last few episodes of Fruits Basket) I actually cried when I first watched it ^ ^;

I also like that it's very character driven. Nearly everyone has a story -- the five mains, the missing prince, the charming stranger, even Yucie's dad! And 4 of the five girls actually have a legitimate reason to become the Platinum Princess, so you may not actually be rooting for Yucie.
The romance, albeit not the one I expected (as a Princess Maker player, I fully expected Yucie to be romancing Cube♥) was nicely done. Depending on whether or not you go for romance plots, it's either too little or just right.

And finally, most of the filler episodes don't feel like filler! When I re-watch the series, there's really only 2ish episodes I skip.. Major plus.

What else... ah, Sailor Moon and Tenchi Muyo. My first loves! Some friends and newer anime fans will never get my love for the two, but I'll never feel embarrassed about loving those series! That I can quote my favorite episodes. Or that I still know many of the songs. In Japanese and English.

You've got to make the effort, and love every moment of it
Old June 6th, 2011, 10:43 pm
Hogwarts Graduate

My favourites are mainly shoujo - I probably wouldn't go around shouting from the rooftops about being a fan of Vampire Knight or La Corda d'Oro, but I love them to bits and obsessively followed updates on new chapters for years.

Old August 7th, 2011, 5:16 am
First Year

Quote:
What else... ah, Sailor Moon and Tenchi Muyo. My first loves! Some friends and newer anime fans will never get my love for the two, but I'll never feel embarrassed about loving those series!
Ha, with you on that! An embarrassing one would probably be Yu-Gi-Oh! When I tell people I like it, I preface with "The manga is MUCH better" V_V I like the different games the characters come up with. /myexcuse

on CoS | on PM
THIS IS A SLYTHERDORE.
Old December 4th, 2011, 10:13 am
First Year

Princess Tutu. Seriously. I'm not sure if I have to say much more.

*plooka plooka*

世界は美しくなんかない。そしてそれ故に美しい。
Old December 4th, 2011, 7:54 pm
Sixth Year

Heh, well in some ways all anime is a guilty pleasure when I'm with non-anime fans! I'm not sure I have many animes that I would consider guilty pleasures but I do with manga as I just love highschool romance shoujo - not so keen on it in anime for some reason (apart from a few exceptions like Fruits Basket) but I love it with manga, my shelves are lined with big sparkly eyes and handsome men with big hair

Old December 15th, 2011, 3:05 am
First Year

It is fairly common around anime fans, but I consider this a guilty pleasure because it is PURE fanservice. Ouran High School. But it is too funny not to watch!

I also love the Alice in the Country of Hearts manga; beautiful art style, also very fanservicey. Gotta love it #^^#

Old December 15th, 2011, 3:13 am
Second Year

Ouran's got romance, too, so it's not all fanservice. Though the Hitachiin twins don't make that any easier to say...

Last Update: Episode 4.2 - Dying in the Past (9/21/2011)
When lives are at stake, there is no such thing as a fair fight.

Old December 15th, 2011, 1:11 pm
First Year

Madoka definitely qualifies, as it looks saccharine to get away with being mistaken for a kiddie show, but has enough violence and teen angst to get some in trouble with their parents for watching a show aimed at adults.

Also, I do enjoy some seinens, as long as they have plot.

Also anything in the Fate/Stay Night series.

Old April 17th, 2012, 6:58 am
First Year

My guilty pleasure is Pokemon. I know it's repetitive and predictable but I still enjoy watching Ash's adventures with Pikachu.

Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > Diagon Alley > Anime