Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > Harry Potter > Muggle Studies

Best and Worst endings to the Harry Potter films

Old April 2nd, 2012, 9:41 pm
Second Year

Re: Best and Worst endings to the Harry Potter films

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goddess_Clio View Post
That line would have been excellent coming from Dumbledore after Harry trashes his office, it would have been touching and much more fitting in a moment like that. Saying it as the trio et al are walking out to catch the train is such a cold moment for a line that could be very emotional.
Oh yeah, I can totally see DD saying that line with his characteristic somber gravity. It would make a LOT more sense than that lifeless, matter-of-fact line Dan threw out at the end of OOtP. Which, again, makes me annoyed about the absolute lack of angst in Harry after Sirius's death. IMO, they made a huge mistake by not including the scene where he trashes DD's office.

Picture by LaurelSKY from http://laurelsky.deviantart.com/art/...tter-170927604

"Its hooves made no mark on the soft ground as it stared at Harry with its large, silver eyes. Slowly, it bowed its antlered head. And Harry realized..."Prongs..."
- Hermione's Secret, Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban
Sponsored Links
Old April 3rd, 2012, 12:11 am
Seventh Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarryVeil View Post
Oh yeah, I can totally see DD saying that line with his characteristic somber gravity. It would make a LOT more sense than that lifeless, matter-of-fact line Dan threw out at the end of OOtP. Which, again, makes me annoyed about the absolute lack of angst in Harry after Sirius's death. IMO, they made a huge mistake by not including the scene where he trashes DD's office.
I think it would have been a good cinematic way to snap Harry out of his funk after he trashes the office and would give him the resolve he would need in the next films to forge ahead with the quest.

Anyway, getting into what we would have liked to see rather than how the movies actually ended. Bottom line, the ending of OOTP sucked.

Old April 17th, 2012, 8:08 pm
First Year

I don't know...I rather like the ending for "Goblet of Fire," simply because, at least in my case, you're left with a sense of foreboding. You know that Voldemort's back, so needless to say, it wasn't going to be a happy ending. Underneath all of the smiles and the goodbyes to the Durmstrang and Beauxbatons students, you feel that darkness.

Old April 26th, 2012, 11:15 am
Second Year

The Half-Blood Prince had the worst ending. I absolutely hate it. The scene should have been about the trio, but Ron didn't say a word.

In the book he told Harry that he and Hermione would go with him. But Kloves didn't care enough to write that in.

Old April 30th, 2012, 8:41 am
First Year

For me Chamber of Secrets was the worst - and I'm sure the reasons have already been said here.

Stone and Hallows Part 2 were the best, and Prince would've been one of them too if Ron was a lot more involved, like it has already been said.

Ravenclaw on CoS
Hufflepuff on Pottermore
Old April 30th, 2012, 5:38 pm
First Year

I very strongly dislike the ending of PoA.
And I don't appreciate the ending of HBP that much, either, although I think it is somewhat okay to put Ron a bit aside, since he will leave the others for some time in DH... ...but I still don't like that Ron always has to step back to let the movie makers ship Harry&Hermione ~___~

An ending I really liked is the one of GoF, because - as somebody already mentioned - it has a bit darker feeling to it, which I like.

We've got Slytherin pride.
- Draco&the Malfoys; Slytherin Pride -

Last edited by Alfine; April 30th, 2012 at 5:39 pm. Reason: grammar fail
Old May 3rd, 2012, 5:08 am
Second Year

I'd rank the endings: 8, 1, 2, 6, 5, 3, 7, 4.
Explanations:

8: No explanation needed.
1: Great classic ending to an epic first movie, the enemy escapes but is prevented from winning the stone so it hints he will return, Harry says I'm not going home, not really, because Hogwarts is his home, and the classic Hedwig's theme is played.
2: Lockhart gets his memory erased, Harry bucks up and uses physical action to end the threats, and Hagrid gets a very welcoming reception in the end.
6: This fight was really short, and DD's death isn't that bad when rewatching it after DH, it's interesting that the trio won't return to school because of hunting horcruxes from then on, a good ending that left me wanting more.
5: Yeah someone died and the fight was short, but Harry's message that he has friends and he has something worth fighting for is nice.
3: This is when things start getting weird, I felt jipped, like nothing really happened.
7: I guess I didn't expect much going in to this one but it still left me hanging, in a bad way, dobby died and voldy's on an island holding up a stick summoning electricity because he can't pay the bills.
4: My god was this an unsatisfying ending, boy gets killed, bad guy appears in monster mode after 4 films for a few minutes of screen time, it leaves him screaming nooooo, and I thought to myself "you mean to scream the word nose because you don't have one, but say it louder and maybe it will magically appear", then it gets sad when everyone finds out which is drawn out for what seems like hours, stupid maddy moodeye is a fake, [staff edit]

Last edited by SusanBones; May 9th, 2012 at 3:52 am. Reason: non-FF
Old May 8th, 2012, 10:42 pm
First Year

Here's how i'd rank em:
A. 8 - I liked the darkness of the ending plus the epilogue despite voldemort being killed.
B. 6 - The part where dumbledore dies and the emotional music is just epic
C. 4 - Another good ending because Cedric's death scene all the goodbyes to other schools and sunset.
D. 7 - Well the ending didn't have much in this one because it felt incomplete to me since it was a 2 parter but still enjoyable nonetheless.
E. 5 - An ok ending but not as good as the other dark films. Sirius's death wasn't so long and emotional.
F. 2 - Well not bad but not as good as the others.
G. 1 - Pretty boring.
H. 3 - Well i kinda don't have nothing to say for this one because it wasn't so good for me.

Old May 23rd, 2012, 7:52 am
Second Year

The ending of DH1 was dramatic, lightning from the elder wand then black screen, even though I knew there was another part to come, it didn't matter. I remember sitting in the theatre and not moving.

Old July 4th, 2012, 11:23 pm
Second Year

Philosopher's Stone
Can't fault it; the ending on the train platform is perfect with the photo album from Hagrid.

Chamber of Secrets
Not a fan, the final scene is far too long. Too much Hagrid - it makes it appear like he's the hero of the moment, not Harry. The Dumbledore and Lucius scenes are right on the money though.

Prisoner of Azkaban
That closing freeze-frame of Harry on the Firebolt? Makes me feel like eating one of Fred and George's puking pastilles.

Goblet of Fire
The graveyard and the unmasking of Crouch Jr is awesome. I find the return from the graveyard with Cedric's body is one of the hardest scenes to watch in any movie. Incredible stuff from Dan Radcliffe and Jeff Rawle (Amos Diggory).

Order of the Phoenix
Sirius' death and the final duel are immense, but the scene in Dumbledore's office back at Hogwarts seems rushed, could have done with a bit more of the book version and Harry raging. Still good though.

Half Blood Prince
I didn't mind not having the funeral, and the wandlight obliterating the Dark Mark was a nice touch. I didn't like the way Ron was shuffled into the background in the closing scene though.

Deathly Hallows 1
Dobby's demise still gets me every time, and Voldemort taking the Elder Wand from the tomb is just plain creepy.

Deathly Hallows 2
You know what, I love this film all the way up to the procession back from the forest. It's as good as you could possibly hope for from a film adaptation. But it feels like they took a ten-run lead into the bottom of the ninth inning... and then blew it.

[Engage Rant Mode]

Neville's speech? Awkward. Hermione and Ron vs Nagini? Clumsy. Harry and Voldemort flying around the castle? The CGI was unconvincing - added for extra 3D effect but did nothing at all for the flow of the film or the telling of the story. The final duel - should have been in the Great Hall. I can live with the breaking of the Elder Wand, it makes more sense in many ways, but Harry should have used it to repair his own wand first.

All in all, an unfitting and underwhelming end to the series.

[Disengage Rant Mode]

You're the weak one. And you'll never know love, or friendship. And I feel sorry for you.

I'm LightChaser4263 on Pottermore.
Feel free to add me as a friend, but please owl me first on CoS. Thanks!
Proud member of Gryffindor House in the Chamber of Secrets and on Pottermore.

Last edited by Peakes; July 5th, 2012 at 8:50 am.
Old July 8th, 2012, 3:52 am
Third Year

I just watched the 5th movie for the one hundredth time or so. Every time I watch it, the ending grows on me. The scene between Voldemort and Dumbledore is truly epic, and one of my favorite all time scenes.

Two of the oddest men you would ever meet.

Supporter of splitting at shell cottage after Dobby's Heroic death.
Old August 8th, 2012, 9:01 pm
First Year

Mine would be:
1. DHP2 of course ^.^
2. HBP
3. SS
4. COS
5. DHP1
6. POA
7. OOTP
8. GOF

Old August 8th, 2012, 11:00 pm
First Year

I think I'm a lone voice here but I am going to have to give a bit of love to the firebolt freeze frame ending of PoA, which is my favorite.

The film whooshes by on a tide of mad ecstatic energy, takes flight, and then just literally just stops in mid air. Then you have have the familiar quidditch fanfare music from the earlier films come in on the soundtrack and I am left feeling mightily satisfied, whist simultaneously wanting more. It just ends on a moment of joy for Harry, doing what he loves best - flying at high speed. Perfect

Old August 9th, 2012, 2:29 pm
Third Year

My favorite ending is SS/PS because its the first/only time Harry goes on the train.
Then DH2 because it ended the series like how I imagined it should
OotP because it was nice to see all the DA behind the Trio,heading off to the trains
CoS, I thought it was cute and heart-warming type ending.
DH1 because of the suspense/cliffhanger ending
GoF because the schools leaving looked pretty cool
PoA it was a little too sudden for me but otherwise I didn't mind it too much
HBP the ending, to me, had a depressing note to it which is why I like it least

Old August 9th, 2012, 8:41 pm
First Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by chinofjim View Post
The film whooshes by on a tide of mad ecstatic energy, takes flight, and then just literally just stops in mid air. Then you have have the familiar quidditch fanfare music from the earlier films come in on the soundtrack and I am left feeling mightily satisfied, whist simultaneously wanting more. It just ends on a moment of joy for Harry, doing what he loves best - flying at high speed. Perfect
You're not alone! I too love that ending. There's something fabulously old-fashioned about it. It seems to say 'look, we know this isn't really classy, but it makes you feel good, and that's what Hogwarts ought to be about!'

However, I must admit that in CoS when all of the students stand up to applaud Hagrid, I get some serious leakage and have to sneakily pull out a hanky
I love the idea that a whole school can come together in appreciation for a really good person. It sends a beautiful message.

Old August 9th, 2012, 9:02 pm
Sixth Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by asdfasdf17 View Post
GoF because the schools leaving looked pretty cool
(...)
HBP the ending, to me, had a depressing note to it which is why I like it least
Harry's mentor and the students' headmaster has just died, Harry has to carry this burden that is the horcrux hunt on his own shoulders and you expect a happy ending? Except...there was a note of hope mixed with the sadness there. At least far more appropriate of a tone than Goblet's ending despite looking cool. What should I read out of that? What does "cool" mean in this context? Perhaps shallowness is more accurate.

Old August 9th, 2012, 10:39 pm
Fourth Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zaffyra View Post
You're not alone! I too love that ending. There's something fabulously old-fashioned about it. It seems to say 'look, we know this isn't really classy, but it makes you feel good, and that's what Hogwarts ought to be about!'

However, I must admit that in CoS when all of the students stand up to applaud Hagrid, I get some serious leakage and have to sneakily pull out a hanky
I love the idea that a whole school can come together in appreciation for a really good person. It sends a beautiful message.
I agree. When I watch the end of PoA I'm not criticizing the classiness, I'm watching the end to a movie that leaves a nice bubble of happiness in me. I think the ending to PoA is perfect because it leaves Harry happy and smiling, where throughout the movie he was more angry and sad. It's a satisfying ending.

Agreed.

Gryffindor on Pottermore & CoS.
Wand: 12 1/2 in, Apple, Dragon, Pliant
Old August 9th, 2012, 11:43 pm
First Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zaffyra View Post
that ending isn't for me, its just a little too far on the cheesy side, but I do like the little "shall we hug? nah its too awkward" moment between Hermione and Ron. Anyway, there's no way the Slytherins would be cheering with everyone else...

Old August 10th, 2012, 1:05 am
Fourth Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by chinofjim View Post
that ending isn't for me, its just a little too far on the cheesy side, but I do like the little "shall we hug? nah its too awkward" moment between Hermione and Ron. Anyway, there's no way the Slytherins would be cheering with everyone else...
I didn't find it cheesy at all. It's a PG rated movie that had a nice warm and happy ending. It's hard to explain, but I think the ending was perfect for that movie.

That depends on the Slytherin, I suspect.

Gryffindor on Pottermore & CoS.
Wand: 12 1/2 in, Apple, Dragon, Pliant
Old August 10th, 2012, 9:10 am
First Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by RikuStark View Post
I didn't find it cheesy at all. It's a PG rated movie that had a nice warm and happy ending. It's hard to explain, but I think the ending was perfect for that movie.

That depends on the Slytherin, I suspect.
I see what you mean, I guess the the ending did suit the movie (which is why I love the PoA ending so much, it being such a manic kooky off kilter film), but I still find it way cheesy. I wouldn't say I dislike it exactly, its just not my cup of tea.

Yes - it would depend on the individual Slytherin. I shouldn't jump to conclusions about that much maligned House. Although when I think about it, I'm not really sure I could see the other Houses cheering like that either...

Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > Harry Potter > Muggle Studies