Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > The Writing on the Wall > Writer's Corner

There's an Idea, a Pen, and Paper. What next?

Old January 4th, 2012, 2:26 am
Second Year

Re: There's an Idea, a Pen, and Paper. What next?

What works and what doesn't really depends on writing style; personally, I'm so afraid of falling into Purple Prose Mode that I'll go too far in the other direction and end up with a Perfectly Beige World.

The advice I was given from various teachers of Written English is that it's just like with every other artistic talent. You just have to work at it every day. If you've ever tried National Novel Writing Month, pulling 2000 words a day out from various parts of one's anatomy can be a daunting task - unless you've been building up to that point by writing a fair bit each day. It can be sheer crack, pure dialogue - it doesn't matter as long as it's practice. And who knows? Maybe you'll end up using some of your practice writings as starting points for other stories.

Last Update: Episode 4.2 - Dying in the Past (9/21/2011)
When lives are at stake, there is no such thing as a fair fight.

Sponsored Links
Old February 10th, 2012, 8:24 am
Registered Animagus

I write it down, even if it makes no sense. Eventually something coherent will come of it.

Old February 10th, 2012, 6:24 pm
Master of the Magical Arts

Although there is a school of thought which argues that if an idea is a good one it will survive without being written down.

A patriot is someone who wants the best for his country, including the best laws and the best ideals. It's something other people should call you -- you shouldn't call yourself that. People who call themselves patriots are usually liars. -- Donald Woods

You got what anybody gets . . . You got a lifetime. -- Death of the Endless
Old February 11th, 2012, 4:30 am
Second Year

While that is certainly true, the longer you wait between having an idea and writing it down, the harder it is to write the idea down. Procrastination is addictive.

Last Update: Episode 4.2 - Dying in the Past (9/21/2011)
When lives are at stake, there is no such thing as a fair fight.

Old February 14th, 2012, 5:51 pm
Seventh Year

My writing style is dependant on what kind of idea I get at the moment. Mostly it's scenes of characters interacting so it's quick bouts of mostly dialogue between two to four characters. This can be as short as one character asking a question and the other offering a one-liner joke in return or several pages of dialogue and/or prose vergin on a whole scene.

Sometimes it's a general idea for a part of a story or a scene that I jot down in a couple quick sentances simply so I don't forget the idea later.

For plots I write where the character begins, where the character ends and a couple important scenes in the middle that help get that character from point A to point Z (the end of the story). After that I try and fill in the blanks with scenes that get the character from A to B, then B to C, then C to D or however many intervening 'big scenes' I've included in the sketch. I don't tend to distinguish between which is more important, character or plot, because if one isn't interesting chances are readers won't stick around for the other. The one informs the other, they can't be separated to me. If the main character fundamentally changes, so does the plot.

I tend to write a lot at work since I'm already sitting at a computer and my ideas come to me in tiny little bursts so I don't feel too bad about typing them out quickly. I keep an idea notebook with long hand scenes written in them but I generally bounce between writing long hand and typing.

Old April 19th, 2012, 4:53 am
First Year

An idea, a pen, and some paper is the perfect combination to start brainstorming. I'll write down some completely insane ideas, but then I'll narrow them down to the ones I actually like. It's pretty much the same process that you use when you do research papers or papers of any other sort.

Old April 20th, 2012, 3:56 am
Master of the Magical Arts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pokota View Post
While that is certainly true, the longer you wait between having an idea and writing it down, the harder it is to write the idea down. Procrastination is addictive.
Which is the opposite of what I was saying. If an idea is good enough it won't need to be written down, it will stick in your brain until you write the story.

As Stephen King said: "I never write ideas down. Because all you do when you write ideas down is kind of immortalize something that should go away. If they're bad ideas, they go away on their own...If you can't remember it, it was a terrible idea."

A patriot is someone who wants the best for his country, including the best laws and the best ideals. It's something other people should call you -- you shouldn't call yourself that. People who call themselves patriots are usually liars. -- Donald Woods

You got what anybody gets . . . You got a lifetime. -- Death of the Endless
Old April 21st, 2012, 4:54 am
Registered Animagus

If I write down a bad idea, it's no problem, I always end up ditching it anyway.

Old April 27th, 2012, 3:15 am
Second Year

I have in my mind a beginning and an ending to each chapter. This is what I want to accomplish. I don't write down any elements of how I'm going to do that. I get a cup of coffee, sit down at the computer, and just start writing. Usually, if the ideas are flowing well, plot points occur to me as I'm in the process of writing. I write to please myself. I usually edit some things as I go. Change a word here...a phrase there.

By the time I finish a chapter, usually things that have happened in that chapter touch off other ideas for future chapters. Only after finishing a chapter do I go back and do any real editing on it, because I don't want to stop the flow of writing by doing that in mid-stream of thought. I don't like to make outlines on paper, because it feels too restrictive to me.

This is just my style of writing. I'm sure everyone who writes has their own.

Old May 9th, 2012, 4:37 pm
Seventh Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by AldeberanBlack View Post
If I write down a bad idea, it's no problem, I always end up ditching it anyway.
Sometimes it's the bad ideas that end up leading to good ones anyway. It's like photography in that way: for every 100 photos you might get one really great one but that doesn't mean the other 99 weren't worth taking.

And sometimes a bad idea can turn into a good one with a little tweaking. Or a bad idea for one story can be a great one for another story, it just didn't fit into the one you were writing at the moment.

Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > The Writing on the Wall > Writer's Corner