Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > Harry Potter > The Stone

Most Shocking Moment in the Series

Old March 4th, 2012, 3:49 pm
First Year

Re: Most Shocking Moment in the Series

The whole book was shocking to me, because there was a twist at every turn. If I had to choose the most shocking moments, it would be:
Snape's Tale,
Scabbers being a man,
Dumbledore's death,
and Hororcruxes.

Sponsored Links
Old March 9th, 2012, 2:30 am
First Year

When Fred died. I couldn't believe that JK Rowling would kill one of the twins off. The books just don't seem right not having both of the twins.

Old March 21st, 2012, 7:22 pm
First Year

I will add mine. These gave me the kicked in the gut feeling where I had to stop reading & process what just happened.

Snape giving the AK curse to Dumbledore

The Prince's Tale chapter in DH. This chapter stunned me! I had to put the book down & think it all through (Snape's truth & Harry being a horcrux)

These 2 chapters impressed me so much that I like to reread them every so often.

Old March 22nd, 2012, 9:52 pm
First Year

my most shocking moment was Doby's death (dang that Bella and her knife!) =(

I really wanted to see Doby lead a whole house elf revolution (with Hermine's help of course)

Old April 3rd, 2012, 1:01 pm
First Year

The most shocking death for me was Hedwig.
Right off the bat, completely unexpected, an innocent creature caught in the cross-fire. I was sort of ready for other characters to go, but not poor Hedwig :-(

Old April 3rd, 2012, 7:05 pm
Fifth Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Episkey_147 View Post
The most shocking death for me was Hedwig.
Right off the bat, completely unexpected, an innocent creature caught in the cross-fire. I was sort of ready for other characters to go, but not poor Hedwig :-(
I agree. I feel there was no need for her to die. But it was so sudden and unexpected.

Fan Fic
http://www.cosforums.com/showthread.php?t=114430

Feedback
http://www.cosforums.com/showthread.php?t=114436
Old April 7th, 2012, 5:05 am
First Year

I never be the same after I read Sirius' death, I was shock afterwards but return to read.

Old April 8th, 2012, 4:19 am
First Year

Death seems to be a common pattern. It is always a shock when it happens before it should.

Old April 8th, 2012, 12:34 pm
First Year

When i found out Dubledore is gay. It was a shocker!

Old April 9th, 2012, 12:24 am
Second Year

Clearly the princes tale - its the big reveal of the whole series.

DD

Old April 24th, 2012, 2:30 am
First Year

I remember being totally shocked by the fact that Sirius was actually a good person. I honestly thought he was set out to kill Harry, and when I discovered otherwise.. wow. My eight or nine year old self couldn't take it. Later on, he became one of my favorite characters.

OH MY [staff edit]. Just read some entries on this thread.. totallyforgot about Hedwig and all of her wondrous glory! Her death was the most shocking, actually, even compared to what happened with Sirius! Ah. I guess looking back I understand why JK had her die.. I mean, after everything that goes on in the book, I'd always be wondering what would be going on with Hedwig.. would they take her with them? More than likely, there'd be the opportunity that she'd simply be caught and killed. But when it happened.. yeah. No bueno.

Last edited by Hes; April 24th, 2012 at 8:44 am. Reason: No need to get family unfriendly
Old April 24th, 2012, 6:34 am
First Year

I just remember the shock and terror in The Prisoner of Azkaban when Serious Black appeared in the Shrieking Shack. I remember the day..I was in 3rd grade. It was reading time at school, and I had my Harry Potter book out and even though it was in the middle of the day and pretty warm, I just remember getting crazy goosebumps and a chill going down my spine! I wasn't able to finish the chapter before reading time was over..but I didn't stop reading! Haha! I put my textbook over TPoA and I would slide the book down as I read. I got caught and had to put the book away. Haha. Good times.
Other than that, I'd have to say that the whole arch with Lily and Snape surprised me the most..I always had a hunch that Snape was good. But I never would have thought that he was in love with Lily, nor why he really hated Harry. Genius writing.
Also the deaths of Cedric, Serious and of course Dumbledore. That really hit me pretty hard.

I've been sorted!

Pottermore Name:
WolfFlame206

Winter is coming.
Old April 28th, 2012, 5:40 am
First Year

Re: Most Shocking Moment in the Whole Series?

[quote=xhanax315;5470044]I would definitely agree about Dumbledore's death. I knew that at some point it would occur, but I totally wasn't expecting how it turned out. QUOTE]

For some reason I really couldn't make myself feel much during Dumbledore's death scene - or feel that much about him dying at all.
Then again - my favorite character was murdered by a curtain in the previous book so I guess it's hard to feel sympathy after that

Old April 28th, 2012, 1:26 pm
First Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by chocolatBaysea View Post
I never be the same after I read Sirius' death, I was shock afterwards but return to read.
I was so excited that Harry finally had someone that resembled a "father figure" and that was so close to his real parents. I've questioned since reading about it, if it HAD to happen, but I can't come up with a solid answer.

Old April 28th, 2012, 6:25 pm
First Year

The most shocking moment was the revelation that Harry has in the forest. He realizes that he isn't fetching his parents, Sirius, and Remus, but rather, they were fetching him. This is such a mature moment, and I truly believed Harry was walking toward his death, and that we might lose our hero. Realizing the sacrifice that Harry was about to make made me pause for a second and reflect my own life.

Old April 29th, 2012, 6:42 am
First Year

I can't say that there is a "most" shocking moment...there's only a "more" for me. :P I enjoy reading the Harry Potter books partly because of these twists and turns. Some of the "more" shocking moments for me:

-The Princes Tale. I did vaguely suspect something of the kind prior to reading DH, but it still shocked me quite a bit, and it took me one or two weeks after finishing the book to slowly take it in.

-Harry's realization that he has to "die". I was partly expecting this as well, but I didn't take it as a huge possibility.

-All the deaths. Well...of course.

"Aspectu illo glorior, dum capit nox diem"

' "Then why", asked Snape, "does it have the name 'Roonil Wazlib' written inside the front cover?" '
--HBP Ch.24.

"I solemnly swear that I am a devoted Snape fan"

Proud Pottermore Slythie girl!
Old May 3rd, 2012, 6:51 pm
First Year

I'll give my most shocking moments from each book:

PS/SS: Quirrell revealed that HE was the one who was trying to kill Harry during the Quidditch match (& Snape was the one who was trying to save Harry), followed by Voldyface on the back of Quirrell's head

CoS: Tom Marvolo Riddle revealing "I Am Lord Voldemort"

PoA: Scabbers is Peter Pettigrew

GoF: Cedric Diggory being killed in cold blood, and LV using Harry's blood to resurrect himself (the film didn't make matters any better for me...babyVoldy was ewwww...)

OotP: Sirius Black's death (all the while, I was wondering,'who's gonna die?', and then...)

HBP: Snape killing Dumbledore (complete shocker!!)

DH: Full of shocking moments - from Hedwig dying, to Remus and Tonks , Snape (after reading 'The Prince's Tale', I was like,'WHY?!?'), etc. The whole book was like that.

http://cdn.crushable.com/files/2011/05/alan_rickman_snape-200x200.jpg

“My word, Severus, that I shall never reveal the best of you?”
Old May 5th, 2012, 1:56 am
First Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by narayandivya123 View Post
I'll give my most shocking moments from each book:

PS/SS: Quirrell revealed that HE was the one who was trying to kill Harry during the Quidditch match (& Snape was the one who was trying to save Harry), followed by Voldyface on the back of Quirrell's head

CoS: Tom Marvolo Riddle revealing "I Am Lord Voldemort"

PoA: Scabbers is Peter Pettigrew

GoF: Cedric Diggory being killed in cold blood, and LV using Harry's blood to resurrect himself (the film didn't make matters any better for me...babyVoldy was ewwww...)

OotP: Sirius Black's death (all the while, I was wondering,'who's gonna die?', and then...)

HBP: Snape killing Dumbledore (complete shocker!!)

DH: Full of shocking moments - from Hedwig dying, to Remus and Tonks , Snape (after reading 'The Prince's Tale', I was like,'WHY?!?'), etc. The whole book was like that.
I'm in complete agreement with you on this, but I will have to add that I was shocked when Lupin was a werewolf (then again, I was like, 10 haha), as well as when I found out the reason as to why Snape hated Harry so much.

Old May 5th, 2012, 7:13 am
Sixth Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by leckleck View Post
I remember being totally shocked by the fact that Sirius was actually a good person. I honestly thought he was set out to kill Harry, and when I discovered otherwise.. wow. My eight or nine year old self couldn't take it. Later on, he became one of my favorite characters.

OH MY [staff edit]. Just read some entries on this thread.. totallyforgot about Hedwig and all of her wondrous glory! Her death was the most shocking, actually, even compared to what happened with Sirius! Ah. I guess looking back I understand why JK had her die.. I mean, after everything that goes on in the book, I'd always be wondering what would be going on with Hedwig.. would they take her with them? More than likely, there'd be the opportunity that she'd simply be caught and killed. But when it happened.. yeah. No bueno.

Well she was killed off for symbolic reasons not practical ones. She probably would have done fine living in the campsites.

Old May 5th, 2012, 5:30 pm
Fifth Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajna View Post
Well she was killed off for symbolic reasons not practical ones. She probably would have done fine living in the campsites.
I believe J.K. actually explained that she killed Hedwig to show the devotion she had to Harry, that she was willing to die for him.

Fan Fic
http://www.cosforums.com/showthread.php?t=114430

Feedback
http://www.cosforums.com/showthread.php?t=114436
Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > Harry Potter > The Stone