Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > Diagon Alley > Television

30 Rock

Old October 15th, 2010, 3:33 am
Second Year

Re: 30 Rock

Did you guys watch the live episode tonight? It seemed a bit strange at first...I think the laughter threw me off. I had Vietnam war flashbacks of the days when I watched shows like Full House. I ended up enjoying the live aspect of it, though. Very gutsy, but if anyone could've pulled it off, it's Tina Fey.

Sponsored Links
Old October 15th, 2010, 3:41 am
Seventh Year

It was odd, the timing was different, but then, of course it was. It didn't take long to get used to, though - that probably has a great deal to do with the fact that most of these people are old pros at live TV - and I ended up really loving the episode. I loved the way they satirized live TV, and the sometimes-funny-but-always-somewhat-corny crack-ups/breaking-character moments. Smart and hilarious episode.

Old October 15th, 2010, 4:08 am
Second Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by IenjoyAcidPops View Post
I loved the way they satirized live TV, and the sometimes-funny-but-always-somewhat-corny crack-ups/breaking-character moments.
Haha, Tracy's idea of character-breaking was probably one of my favorite parts of the episode.

Old October 15th, 2010, 4:10 am
Seventh Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by theboywholived8 View Post
Haha, Tracy's idea of character-breaking was probably one of my favorite parts of the episode.
Yeah; I've watched a lot of The Carol Burnett Show in my time, and I can't say I've ever seen Harvey Korman or Tim Conway go, "I'm doing something called breaking! Ha ha ha ha! This is live!"

Old October 15th, 2010, 4:29 am
Assistant to Minister Longbottom

Quote:
It was odd, the timing was different, but then, of course it was. It didn't take long to get used to, though - that probably has a great deal to do with the fact that most of these people are old pros at live TV - and I ended up really loving the episode. I loved the way they satirized live TV, and the sometimes-funny-but-always-somewhat-corny crack-ups/breaking-character moments. Smart and hilarious episode.
Once I realized it was more like an SNL show I started enjoying it more. I generally don't love the live show thing, but I think they did a great job tonight. Tina Fey is great, and I loved Julia Louis-Dreyfus' impersonation of her.

Old October 15th, 2010, 5:25 am
Second Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by HMN View Post
Once I realized it was more like an SNL show I started enjoying it more. I generally don't love the live show thing, but I think they did a great job tonight. Tina Fey is great, and I loved Julia Louis-Dreyfus' impersonation of her.
Oh yeah, Julia was great. She's just so darn likeable.

Old October 15th, 2010, 5:29 am
Seventh Year

When Tina Fey won her acting Emmy in 2008, she thanked Julia Louis-Dreyfus and made a remark about ripping off her every move, and the next time Julia appeared on Late Night with Conan O'Brien, she brought that up and ended up dragging Conan along to steal Tina's Emmy. Knowing and remembering those things just made Julia's cameo here even funnier.

Old October 15th, 2010, 4:14 pm

Quote:
When Tina Fey won her acting Emmy in 2008, she thanked Julia Louis-Dreyfus and made a remark about ripping off her every move, and the next time Julia appeared on Late Night with Conan O'Brien, she brought that up and ended up dragging Conan along to steal Tina's Emmy. Knowing and remembering those things just made Julia's cameo here even funnier.
Even better! I wish I had known that before watching, thanks for sharing! I also have to say that I loved the line about having 'Seinfeld money' just brilliant.

Old October 15th, 2010, 4:54 pm
Banned

I couldn't finish the episode; I got about six minutes in. I hope the next episode doesn't carry any plot points over from this one.

Old October 16th, 2010, 2:02 am
Registered Animagus

I'll watch anything with Tina Fey in it.

I even endured "Baby Mama"

Old October 16th, 2010, 3:12 am
Second Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by HMN View Post
Even better! I wish I had known that before watching, thanks for sharing! I also have to say that I loved the line about having 'Seinfeld money' just brilliant.
Oh man, I didn't realize that either. That makes it so much better.

Old October 19th, 2010, 8:15 pm
Banned

I've been re-watching the series in HD on Netflix and it is still awesome. I'm currently on the third episode of season four. Also, I'm going to attempt to watch "Live Show" again. I think this show works better when you watch it without having to wait a week between episodes.

Old October 20th, 2010, 2:55 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by NumberEight View Post
I've been re-watching the series in HD on Netflix and it is still awesome. I'm currently on the third episode of season four. Also, I'm going to attempt to watch "Live Show" again. I think this show works better when you watch it without having to wait a week between episodes.
Such a good idea! I don't think I ever saw the first season, but I bet it's really good. I find that I hear and get more of the jokes when I watch it a second time.

Old May 6th, 2012, 8:45 pm
Second Year

Anyone watch the Live Episodes?

"When I was about twelve, I used to think I must be a genius, but nobody's noticed. Either I'm a genius or I'm mad, which is it? 'No,' I said, 'I can't be mad because nobody's put me away; therefore I'm a genius.' Genius is a form of madness and we're all that way. But I used to be coy about it, like me guitar playing. But if there's such a thing as genius - I am one. And if there isn't, I don't care." - John Lennon
Old May 25th, 2012, 1:40 pm

I always cringe at Live Episodes but 30 Rock did a great job. I saw both feeds - one live one on Hulu - and I have to say I enjoyed Paul McCartney's cameo much better than the Kardashian one.

I think I may rewatch the first season during the summer since there isn't anything good on TV then.

Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > Diagon Alley > Television