Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > Harry Potter > The Stone

Did Voldemort eat and sleep?

Old May 4th, 2012, 3:32 am
Second Year

Re: Did Voldemort eat and sleep?

Voldemort: Wormtail!
Wormtail: Y-y-yes, my lord?
Voldemort: Wormtail, we are out of Cap'n Crunch, go and get some more, immediately!
Wormtail: Yes, my lord, right away my lord!
Voldemort: And get the kind with Crunch Berries! And pick up a box of Froot Loops while you're at it!

I guess he'd have to take in nourishment and rest, because he does have a human [though altered] body, and would have to obey the laws governing that body.

I'm a Hufflepuff in a Slytherin World!

snape lives imho
Sponsored Links
Old May 6th, 2012, 3:39 am
First Year

Does having Professor Quirell drink unicorn blood for him to sustain his life count? Other than that I don't think that Voldemort ate or slept, he wasn't human enough to such things. He probably would have saw them as a weaknesses, and we all know how he felt about being weak.

Old May 6th, 2012, 4:45 am
First Year

My theories would be:
PS/SS : When Lord Voldemort was attached to the back of Prof. Quirrell's head, I think Prof. Quirrell would be sleepless too. Imagine a monstrous face attached to your head, how do you think would be your sleeping position?
CoS : In the form of Tom Riddle, I think he is not really using much energy. Imagine being trapped in a book for decades?
Finally, when Lord Voldemort become human in GoF, he would be too energized. You can't sleep when you are too hyperactive.
In the OoP, he's scheming and planning on how to become the most powerful wizard, I'm actually thinking of politicians trying to win the Presidency. Too much stress won't help you sleep.
In HBP, little migraines can be annoying, especially someone is actually in your head.
And once again, when the curse rebounded trying to kill Harry Potter in DH, too much pain can't help you sleep either, he will need a serious dose of sleeping pills.

Old May 6th, 2012, 11:18 am
First Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverMidnight View Post
PS/SS : When Lord Voldemort was attached to the back of Prof. Quirrell's head, I think Prof. Quirrell would be sleepless too. Imagine a monstrous face attached to your head, how do you think would be your sleeping position?
Why did that suddenly remind me of A Very Potter Musical?

Ravenclaw on CoS
Hufflepuff on Pottermore
Old May 7th, 2012, 2:03 am
First Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by narayandivya123 View Post
Oh man, this question is really making me

Let me see - a typical day in the life of the Dark Lord...

Sorry, but whatever I imagine him to be doing, it's just making me laugh!!!

I wonder if the Death Eaters ever threw him a party!!
Well, he had his rebirthday party at the end of Goblet of Fire...Although that really doesn't sound like fun. Especially not for Harry. Or Cedric. Poor them.

But, then again, what do I know about parties for evil Dark wizards?

Like canon pairings, especially Harry and Ginny? This is the website for you!

Hufflepuff and Proud Pottermore Sorted!
Old June 1st, 2012, 1:46 am
First Year

Yes. I think he did eat and sleep. In Stone, he was drinking unicorn blood and in goblet wasnt he drinking naginni's milk.

yeah i think he does eat and sleep.

Accessed Pottermore: 8/1/2011

Pottermore Username: JinxOwl126
Old June 4th, 2012, 5:44 am
First Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liez View Post
Why did that suddenly remind me of A Very Potter Musical?
This came to my mind as well!

Maple with unicorn core, 11 and a quarter inches, slightly springy!
Old October 24th, 2012, 9:49 pm
Third Year

I think that Voldemort would have eaten and slept when he was still Tom Riddle and hadn't divided his soul so much. But I think once he had a lot of Horcruxes and was immortal, he might not have needed to do that. Being immortal meant he couldn't be killed so I figured he wouldn't die if he didn't eat or sleep.
Personally, I can't really imagine him sleeping, he'd be too paranoid or too busy for that. We don't ever see him eat but he did drink Unicorn blood when he was weak in PS/SS. He might have eaten stuff out of habit but I don't think it was necessary for his survival anymore.

Old November 22nd, 2012, 3:18 pm
Second Year

Yes, he ate and slept any time he was off screen. A baddie's gotta eat you know. Being the evil wizard junkie, he'd stock up on junk food like pizza, cookies, mountain dew. If he's going to eat, it might as well taste good. He won't care about clogging arteries since he has no heart. He won't care about the gasses emitting because he'll blame it on nearby death eaters.

Sleeping is another issue. Here is a scenario:

Voldy: Okay guys I'm taking a nap. *closes eyes, snores after a few seconds*
Death Eater 1: Give me the nightshift, eh? *takes his wallet*
Death Eater 2: What a douche. Dumbledore still pwns him.
Voldy: TO THE DUNGEON THE BOTH OF YOU! *transports them*.

As you can see, he can rest, but never fully sleep due to trust issues with his employees.

Old November 22nd, 2012, 5:44 pm
First Year

I can imagine the 11 year old Tom Riddle enjoying the Hogwarts feast after finally having a break from the orphan food. I can imagine the teenage Tom Riddle eating at a dinner table/death eater meeting, with great manners, although uninterested. I can imagine the adult Tom Riddle, eating only to sustain himself.

But remember he did have that glass of wine with Dumbledore, right? That's the only time he drank/ate in the book, from what I remember, not counting the Nagini Venom, cause they never really showed that. I think he still needs to eat when he split his soul the first few times but later on, he was so inhuman, he didn't need to anymore unless he wanted to.

I do wonder, too, if his death eater pals ever threw him a birthday party, and what his "surprise reaction" would be. I imagine he would act very flustered, but in the back of his head he's cursing everyone off because he probably wouldn't be able to do his studying that night.

I'm starting to get a little off topic here, there should be a board called "Out of Character", or OOC (imho, something you commonly find in horrible fanfiction) where we discuss the things you couldn't imagine a certain character to do. Unless there already is one, please link me to it!

I wonder what his first word was as a baby...

Old November 23rd, 2012, 4:43 am
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by asdfasdf17 View Post
I think that Voldemort would have eaten and slept when he was still Tom Riddle and hadn't divided his soul so much. But I think once he had a lot of Horcruxes and was immortal, he might not have needed to do that. Being immortal meant he couldn't be killed so I figured he wouldn't die if he didn't eat or sleep.
He must definitely have eaten and slept when he was Tom Riddle. We know he needed unicorn blood when he was "inhabiting" Quirrell. We also know that Wormtail fed him when he was still Vapormort. Wasn't Wormtail milking Nagini to feed him then?

I don't remember clearly, but weren't they having tea or something when Charity Burbank was hanging from the ceiling? Or were they just having a meeting? Maybe Voldemort would sit down at the dinner table with his DEs but just nibbled or sipped something?

Quote:
Personally, I can't really imagine him sleeping, he'd be too paranoid or too busy for that. We don't ever see him eat but he did drink Unicorn blood when he was weak in PS/SS. He might have eaten stuff out of habit but I don't think it was necessary for his survival anymore.
You're probably right.

Old November 24th, 2012, 9:25 am
Hogwarts Graduate

Quote:
Originally Posted by asdfasdf17 View Post
I think he would still have needed food and sleep. The horcruxes made him immortal, yes, but they did not render him invulnerable. As shown the first time he tried to murder Harry - the horcruxes meant he did not die, but they did not protect his body from harm. IMO, while he had a body, he would still need to tend to its needs. IMO, he would have needed food and sleep. He would not die without food and sleep, because of the Horcruxes, but I think he would have become weaker. And, like any body, his body might have ceased to function if he went too long without food or sleep, leaving him back in a VapourMort state. The horcruxes kept his soul tethered to the mortal world, they did nothing to protect his body.

I think he would have taken a lot of precautions before sleeping, though, and slept very little. Perhaps Nagini on guard? And very strong security spells.
And I imagine he would have had a house-elf testing his food first, as Slughorn did after the poisoning attempt.

Pic by julvett at deviantart http://julvett.deviantart.com/gallery/2984632
"Relationships are like glass; sometimes it's better to leave them broken than to hurt yourself trying to put them back together." Anonymous
"Like this one time I sort of ran over this girl on her bike. It was the most traumatising event of my life and she’s trying to make it about her leg. Like my pain meant nothing." - Cordelia; Buffy the Vampire Slayer S1Ep11.
Old November 28th, 2012, 2:09 am
First Year

Hmm, this is interesting. I assume that the body that came out of the cauldron in GoF was human, despite his horcruxes? Perhaps because of these horcruxes, he was able to eat and sleep less than the average human but IMO would still need it in order for his body to survive. I can't imagine him being a very deep sleeper though, perhaps a couple of hours a night. In my mind Voldy's always a work.

"Always."
Old November 28th, 2012, 3:54 am
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Hedwig_ View Post
Hmm, this is interesting. I assume that the body that came out of the cauldron in GoF was human, despite his horcruxes? Perhaps because of these horcruxes, he was able to eat and sleep less than the average human but IMO would still need it in order for his body to survive. I can't imagine him being a very deep sleeper though, perhaps a couple of hours a night. In my mind Voldy's always a work.
Yes he was still human - sort of, I guess. His body was human, horcruxes or no.

He was also older, wasn't he? People need less sleep when they get older, I'm told. Combine that with his paranoia, he'd be ever watchful, and would sleep very lightly.

I suppose he had to eat to maintain his body. I wonder if he enjoyed his food at all, or just ate because he had to?

Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > Harry Potter > The Stone