Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > Diagon Alley > In Cinemas & General Movie discussion

The Avengers

Old May 7th, 2012, 5:13 am
Secret Keeper

Re: The Avengers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midnightsfire View Post
*shrugs*
If you want to disregard 3dsales, then toss what percentage of 3d sales of the Potter finale as well.
But money is money. It doesn't matter much where it's coming from.
Naturally, but I'm wondering if the difference in the proportion of 3D sales times the extra 5 bucks or so for 3D makes a difference or if it still would have eclipsed Potter's record. Money is money, but when we're talking records 3D spikes & inflation make comparison very hard.

I've been wrongly sorted into Gryffindor!
Sponsored Links
Old May 7th, 2012, 5:51 am
Seventh Year

That was AWESOME. I mean, I kind of overuse the word awesome, but that actually inspired awe.

This could have just (as ridiculous as the word "just" is here) been a really fun adventure movie, a popcorn thrill ride, and it would've been a great example of that. But no, we saw character development for all of our principles. We saw a ton of great small character moments, a ton of great comic moments, and overall it had a lot more depth than a cynic would expect. Marvel's been building to this for a while, and on occasion these links have felt more like studio synergy than creative decisions, but now we have The Avengers, and it's a real movie, with real characters, not just a product. I'm beyond thrilled with how well this turned out.

Last edited by IenjoyAcidPops; May 7th, 2012 at 11:47 pm.
Old May 7th, 2012, 7:11 am
Master of the Magical Arts

Quote:
Originally Posted by lcbaseball22 View Post
I just read a report that said over half the ticket sales were for 3D...

How does that compare to the Potter finale? In other words should we take the new record with a grain of salt?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Midnightsfire View Post
*shrugs*
If you want to disregard 3dsales, then toss what percentage of 3d sales of the Potter finale as well.
But money is money. It doesn't matter much where it's coming from.
Hmm. Anecdotal evidence from my local comics shop was that most people who mentioned the movie were opting to see the 2D version. But that's just fen.

Kings ComicsIn Australia though, Avengers was shown quite widely in 2D abd 3D and most of the comic book fans at KINGS only wanted to see the film in 2D, as they felt that the 3D was a distraction.

http://www.kingscomics.com/

A patriot is someone who wants the best for his country, including the best laws and the best ideals. It's something other people should call you -- you shouldn't call yourself that. People who call themselves patriots are usually liars. -- Donald Woods

You got what anybody gets . . . You got a lifetime. -- Death of the Endless
Old May 7th, 2012, 8:17 am
Secret Keeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wab View Post
Hmm. Anecdotal evidence from my local comics shop was that most people who mentioned the movie were opting to see the 2D version. But that's just fen.

Kings ComicsIn Australia though, Avengers was shown quite widely in 2D abd 3D and most of the comic book fans at KINGS only wanted to see the film in 2D, as they felt that the 3D was a distraction.

http://www.kingscomics.com/
Well hurray for Aussies at least. I join them in that sentiment. I find 3D to be nauseating and a gimmick with very little artistic merit.

I've been wrongly sorted into Gryffindor!
Old May 7th, 2012, 4:35 pm
Second Year

I saw it yesterday and put a review on the "Rate the last movie you saw" thread.

It was incredible. I usually don't like movies, but this one inspired fanboy awe in me and I would go back to watch that film with any number of my friends, any number of times.
As a geek who has followed Marvel since the age of 1 (I think, I was 1 at the time), this film was what I have been waiting for.

It had so many good moments. A big thumbs up.

MCA, 1964-2012.
Do visit my My Immortal analysis: http://cwbpresentsmyimmortalanalysis.webs.com/
Old May 7th, 2012, 5:02 pm
First Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by lcbaseball22 View Post
Naturally, but I'm wondering if the difference in the proportion of 3D sales times the extra 5 bucks or so for 3D makes a difference or if it still would have eclipsed Potter's record. Money is money, but when we're talking records 3D spikes & inflation make comparison very hard.
At this point it probably doesn't matter. The latest OW figure (207m) means TA just surpassed TDK and SM3's attendance records while accounting for inflation and 3d boost.

Old May 8th, 2012, 10:25 pm
Nitwit! Blubber! Oddment! Tweak!

I saw it in 3D on an IMAX screen today. I don't usually have a problem with this technology, but I thought it made The Avengers look fakey/plastic in parts.

I'd like to see it on a regular 2D screen before I give a final assessment of the film. I enjoyed it well enough, but I think I might've enjoyed it a lot more in 2D.

Hogsmeade Awards 2013: Voted #1 - Biggest Cat Lover | Voted #2 - Most Creative Member |
Voted #2 - Most Likely to Make a Doctor Who Reference

VIVA LA GLITTELUTION!
Old May 9th, 2012, 1:01 am
BANNED... No really they are...

One word: AMAZING.

ALL HAIL THE PIXIE QUEEN TINKIE!!
Mave, RN.
Winner of Happiest Hoggie Award (2011).
Old May 9th, 2012, 1:48 am
Curse Breaker

Really, really solid effort. I hope JW has found a profitable and inspiring home for a couple of follow-up projects.

Each of the members of the initiative had their moments and Widow and Hawkeye had considerably larger parts than I would have suspected. Renner's recent career path leads me to this question--how many film franchises is too many?

Ruffalo was actually a good Bruce Banner and fit well with the rest of the cast. They might finally have landed on a Hulk for both character and presentation.

No worries. No spoilers here.
Old May 9th, 2012, 5:30 am
Second Year

My best friend and I saw it three times in first four days it was out in the US. We went to the midnight showing and then saw it again Friday night. Then went Monday night for the third time. Twice in 2d and once in 3d. I have to say, I really though they did a good job with the 3d. Normally I hate 3d movies, but this one was well done.

We write for a couple review sites, so you could read our full reviews :here/ and here.

Old May 11th, 2012, 10:15 pm
Member of the Order

Over $800 million worldwide...so far.

We'll see how well it does with the competition that comes out. (Dark Shadows)

All fighters are pig-headed some way or another: some part of them always thinks they know better than you about something. Truth is: even if they're wrong, even if that one thing is going to be the ruin of them, if you can beat that last bad out of them... they ain't fighters at all.

---Eddie Scrap-Iron Dupris (Million Dollar Baby)
Old May 13th, 2012, 4:31 am
Curse Breaker

I'm going to see this tomorrow, but I thought that I'd post this link here, as it is both Avengers and HP related! In the spirit of the film, TOR decided to come up with the Fantasy Avenger squad, with analogs for the different avenger characters. Although they acknowledge that including Harry Potter is a stretch for epic fantasy, they had to include Hermione Granger. The rest of the list is pretty impressive:
  1. King Arthur
  2. Legolas
  3. Falkor
  4. Rand al'Thor
  5. Vin
  6. Kvothe
  7. Syrio Forel
  8. Fezzik
I'll try to post my thoughts on the film tomorrow. I'm worried that I'll be disappointed given that everyone I know raves about how awesome it is. Still, Robert Downey Jr. delivering Joss Whedon lines? I mean, why do anything other than that?

EDIT: OK, we saw it. That was as much fun as I've had watching a film in a while. A movie cannot get by on witty banter alone, but with Whedon, Downey Jr. and any competent actress, it can get 90% of the way there. Seriously, the story as about as old as the first time some priest got the idea to beef up one of his morality tales by having not one, but two gods team up against some evil! Yes, it's the "United We Stand/Divided We Fall" story. But, you know, it's a darn good telling of said story.

Of course, one has to get past the absurdity of the whole Marvel Universe. For some reason, that is tougher on screen than in the comic books: but, really, having all of these mega-powerful people around should lead to pure chaos.

The performances were quite good and the script remarkably snappy despite the length of the film. Having to introduce approximately 28 protagonists had a major potential to make things drag; however, they did a good job of "tag-teaming" the intros to develop 2 people at once. I would particularly single out Scarlett Johanson's Black Widow. (OK, I was totally hot for Black Widow when I was 14....) Of course, the kick-*** slightly fey heroine is Joss Whedon's greatest strength: and I wouldn't be at all surprised of BW was a bit more prominent in the film than she was in the original scripts.

And, of course, Iron Man rocks (as always.)

Finally, the box office demands attention. This thing is blasting away at a rate we have not seen in a while. It has totally left Deathly Hallows 2 in the dust: after 10 days, it's 2 million tickets short of DH2's N. American mark, and it just flew past $1B internationally. I had thought that Hunger Games would be the first film to sell 50M tickets in N. America since Avatar: but Avengers just might beat it! (Both should cross the mark at the end of this week.)

On a side note, this could be a huge box office year. Avengers is the first film to cross $1B globally, but do not be surprised to see more: Batman and the Hobbit also have good shots at this mark, too. Within the US, do not be surprised if those two films also cross 50M N. American tickets. It's been a long time since we've had 4 films do that.

If in the first act you have hung a pistol on the wall, then in the following one it should be fired. Otherwise don't put it there.” - A. P. Chekhov, Gurlyand's Reminiscences, and who knew why the Dog was long before the Shack!

Last edited by Wimsey; May 14th, 2012 at 1:05 am.
Old May 14th, 2012, 2:15 am
Member of the Order

The Avengers keeps breaking records

Through Sunday, The Avengers is estimated to have earned $373.2 million, which ranks 18th on the all-time domestic chart. It's now inevitable that the movie will finish above $500 million, and it should also claim third place on the all-time chart ahead of The Dark Knight ($533.3 million).

Around-the-World Roundup: 'Avengers' Reaches $1 Billion Worldwide

I have some doubts that either of the next superhero movies will be as big.

All fighters are pig-headed some way or another: some part of them always thinks they know better than you about something. Truth is: even if they're wrong, even if that one thing is going to be the ruin of them, if you can beat that last bad out of them... they ain't fighters at all.

---Eddie Scrap-Iron Dupris (Million Dollar Baby)
Old May 14th, 2012, 2:32 pm
Sixth Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wimsey View Post
Yes, it's the "United We Stand/Divided We Fall" story. But, you know, it's a darn good telling of said story.
Yes, it told a story, it was fun at times, THoRoughly spectacular, but ultimately it was a predictable and cliched telling of said story with little to no subtlety. The plot was weak, the characters too perfect and not well-developed enough to fear for their lives and the universe had no "rules"; everything seemed possible and coupled with the predictable plot and seemingly immortal heroes the action lacked suspense. You heard me right: The action was not suspenseful at all. Overall it wasn't bad, but it wasn't good either.

Last edited by Noldus; May 14th, 2012 at 2:39 pm.
Old May 17th, 2012, 2:18 am
Master of the Magical Arts

For those who need to know, there's a timeline listing the events of all the recent Marvel movies in chronological order, from the invasion of Midgard by the Frost Giants to Loki making his way to Earth at the beginning of the 'Avengers' flick.

http://tdwgeeks.files.wordpress.com/...cuniverse.jpeg

Quote:
Originally Posted by HedwigOwl View Post
Yes, it does look promising; lets hope so. I'm guessing that Robert Downey Jr. wouldn't have signed on if it was going to be lame.
The deal he signed with Disney after the first Iron Man would have been fair incentive:

Quote:
His deal with the studio was negotiated to include him being paid a percentage, reportedly five per cent or higher, of the box office take for any future movie in which he played the character.

http://www.smh.com.au/entertainment/...#ixzz1v9CQI67D
So far, that's more than $50 million.

A patriot is someone who wants the best for his country, including the best laws and the best ideals. It's something other people should call you -- you shouldn't call yourself that. People who call themselves patriots are usually liars. -- Donald Woods

You got what anybody gets . . . You got a lifetime. -- Death of the Endless
Old May 21st, 2012, 6:30 pm
Curse Breaker

So his deal is the 21st Century version of Jack Nicholson's deal for Batman ('89) with more restrictions?

No worries. No spoilers here.
Old May 29th, 2012, 1:22 am
First Year

I was not at all disappointed in The Avengers. I absolutely LOVED it! I wish it didn't take to long to come out on DVD. I have all the patience of a rock pile.

Old May 29th, 2012, 2:23 am
I want to believe

I loved the Avengers too. Saw it twice (in 3D, no less, which says something since I hardly ever see movies in 3D). I'm into action movies, so this one didn't disappoint. I've seen all the superhero movies prior to watching the Avengers, which made it all the more enjoyable to watch how the characters interact with one another. I especially enjoyed the Hulk's reaction to Loki near the end.

X-Files is the property of Ten Thirteen Productions, 20th Century Fox
WolfCloak30 Pottermore
Old June 12th, 2012, 7:28 pm
First Year

Joss Whedon Talks Marvel Future projects, Loki & Avengers #2!

Star Pulse Magazine recently had a quick sit-down interview with the golden director himself, Mr. Joss Whedon over the weekend, where he shed some light on the current state of Marvel Studio’s right now & what could be in the pipeline for Avengers #2!

Read more:
http://cinemaroll.com/adventure/the-...#ixzz1xYfNG5fA

Old July 2nd, 2012, 11:20 am
First Year

I loved The Avengers! Saw it twice in theatres (in 2D...I just flat-out don't see films in 3D anymore. Not worth it).

And though I've always meant to start reading comics, it wasn't until I saw this movie where I said okay THIS is the year I start really reading comics and I buckled down and looked up some information on where to start and now I'm hooked on those too!

Totally raised the bar for "fun" superhero movies.

"It is important to fight, and fight again, and keep fighting,
for only then can evil be kept at bay, though never quite eradicated."

Pottermore: OakPhoenix68

Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > Diagon Alley > In Cinemas & General Movie discussion