Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > The Burrow: Mrs Weasley's Hobbies & Crafts > Cooking & Recipe Exchange

Cooking accidents!

Old November 3rd, 2008, 1:47 am
Zonko's Employee

Re: Cooking accidents!

When I was living in halls somebody put some sausages in the oven, but then the fire alarm went off so they turned the oven off at the wall. When they came back they'd forgotten about the sausages so just went to their room, only somebody else turned the oven on at the wall. Long and short of it is the fire alarm went off again, but for a real fire this time!

Episode 18: Ned is sad to hear CoS is closing

My book blog
Sponsored Links
Old November 4th, 2008, 1:50 am
Fourth Year

... The boyfriend turned a potato into charcoal.. He put a potato in a microwave for 10 minutes, without realizing that the instructions said 4 potatoes cook for 10 minutes... The potato burst into flames on the inside. The potato skin was fully intact, but the inside had turned to ash.

When injustice becomes law, Rebellion becomes duty.
Old November 6th, 2008, 10:20 pm
Sixth Year

A month ago my thumb stumbled on a very hot pan (I was boiling spaghetti). Ups! Half my fingerprint gone. Finger skin regenerates soon and well, but it still looks odd.

I remember once, my mum was cooking a stew in a large clay pan. When she removed it from the stove, the pan basis stayed on the stove as the rest got on my mum's hands...

Old December 1st, 2008, 11:42 pm
Jessica and lanifiel's Lackey

I have this habit of forgetting to check on rice when I make it, resulting in ruining my expensive cookwear. I've burned rice on the bottom of at least three pots so far...

Let's play nice, my pets. ~ Why I can't rub things in. ~ Search Engine - You're Doing It Right! ~ Questions? Ask here, but remember: Search Engine!

Old December 2nd, 2008, 10:32 am
Too MAGENTA for a UT

Quote:
Originally Posted by mexicant View Post
I have this habit of forgetting to check on rice when I make it, resulting in ruining my expensive cookwear. I've burned rice on the bottom of at least three pots so far...
I hate the smell of burnt rice .

My Mum burnt the rice more than once when we were kids

Old December 5th, 2008, 6:47 am
Formerly Known as 82

Thats not as bad as the time my mom decided to make rice in an old fashion pressure cooker about 10 years ago. It exploded! She is still finding bits of rice in the kitchen to this day

Just here to mess with your brain, it's all very innocent I swear *Pokes*
Old March 3rd, 2009, 2:22 pm
First Year

There was this time during my 15s when i prepared myself with all the contents to bake a vanilla cake. I wanted to keep it all simple. No nuts, raisins, or any fruits... depriving myself of all those sweetness that normally delight me. I was really flustered then to make it taste good with my third try. I got the ingredients in as desired. I set it in the aluminum pan adjusted to the appropriate time. I was startled how fresh and mellow it looked. The insides were as pleasing. I let my relative gorge on a piece of it. It tasted funny and spongy. I didn't attempt to make a sponge cake! Then, we realized i used semolina instead of flour! Well, it's a minor mishap, with no large amount of people to feed.

"Only Muggles talk of 'mind-reading'. The mind is not a book, to be opened at will and examined at leisure. Thoughts are not etched on the inside of skulls, to be perused by any invader. The mind is a complex and many-layered thing, Potter - or at least, most minds are." - Severus Snape
Old March 14th, 2009, 4:11 am
Second Year

one time, i was baking cookies. long story short, whatever was in the microwave burnt. i was using that as a timer since i had to use the ladies room, and i can hear that. then i smelt burning. ruined a plate and ''food''

another time, i think i making cake or cookies, and i set a tea towel on fire. i didnt realize it until after i was done checking what i was baking and was folding it up. i never knew those things could burn so fast. we have a gas oven, so i didnt realize when i was checking it, that it went on. i am so much more used to electric ovens it is not funny.

one time, my mom burnt the other tea towel that went with the one i burnt.

another time, my stepfather turned on dinner (baked ziti) to help mother out. about ten minutes later, he realized he had left the plastic wrap on it.

then there was the time i nuked (microwaved) a hotdog. i left it on for a minute or so, and BOOM! the meat inside came out, leaving the casing behind. so i did it again, and again, until the smell of hot dogs engulfed the house. lets just say we dont have hotdogs anymore.

And they can try their hardest, cos they dont frighten me-Behind the Lines- Genesis
I'm sorry, I don't believe that Toilet Paper should have words on it.- me on Twilight
May the forces of evil become confused on the way to your house.-George Carlin
There are nights when the wolves are silent and only the moon howls.- George Carlin
I'd rather be a fan of Peter Pettigrew than a fan of Edward Cullen.-me, again on Twilight
"Live Long and Prosper."- Spock
Keep behind me. There's no sense in getting killed by a plant.- The Day of the Triffids
Old April 16th, 2009, 3:43 pm
Suteki da ne

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucybird View Post
When I was living in halls somebody put some sausages in the oven, but then the fire alarm went off so they turned the oven off at the wall. When they came back they'd forgotten about the sausages so just went to their room, only somebody else turned the oven on at the wall. Long and short of it is the fire alarm went off again, but for a real fire this time!
Ahh Uni Halls...the amount of times Dan and I were sat in Paddy's or Rascals and saw the fire engine going up towards there...

I once set the smoke alarm off at home at 6am making pancakes

We asked ourselves, "Can we really fight 24 hours?" And the answer was, "We will fight 8,760 hours!"
- Nobuo Uematsu

Old April 16th, 2009, 7:05 pm
Zonko's Employee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schlubalybub View Post
Ahh Uni Halls...the amount of times Dan and I were sat in Paddy's or Rascals and saw the fire engine going up towards there...

I once set the smoke alarm off at home at 6am making pancakes
yes it happened far too often and half the time it was at stupid o'clock in the morning when people had come back drunk, once got back from a night out to find everyone standing outside

Episode 18: Ned is sad to hear CoS is closing

My book blog
Old August 5th, 2009, 5:32 pm
First Year

My my, I cannot compete with thise stories. But best is when I was 8-9 years old and my friend wanted to cook at cake togheter with me at my house. My friend had thrown me the story that she could bake a cake and was alowed to at home. So I decided to suprise my mum isntead of asking permission.
We left out the baking powder and a few other essential ingredients like flower. But it was eddible.
But soon after that my mum tought me how to bake cakes and I did it regulary to great succes the rest of my childhood.

Last edited by Ilysia; August 5th, 2009 at 5:41 pm.
Old August 6th, 2009, 11:51 am
First Year

Well, not exactly my cooking accident, but it involved me.

When I was younger I had a helper/maid who helped cook meals. My dad took my sister and I out for ice cream, but the place was closed so we went back home. The helper had finished cooking and had a pan full of hot oil, and she put it under the sink. So, once the water touched the oil, it exploded into flames and started burning the sink and the ceiling started turning black and everything. The helper just balled up in a little corner and started screaming like insane. I was only around seven or eight then, but I was smart enough to get to the fire extinguisher (except both my sister and I didn't know how to use it). The fire was put out when my dad finally filled this huge bucket full of water in the nearest bathroom and poured it on the pan. It was kind of scary. :S

Makes me think that if that ice cream shop weren't closed, my house would've burnt down.

Old June 15th, 2010, 3:55 am
Third Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by kellyhcwong View Post
The helper had finished cooking and had a pan full of hot oil, and she put it under the sink. So, once the water touched the oil, it exploded into flames and started burning the sink and the ceiling started turning black and everything.
Lol! This happened to me too but not as bad I was in high school & got into an argument with my mom right before dinner, so being the little brat I was, I decided not to eat her cooking & make my own dinner. I was making pancakes (yes, pancakes for dinner ) & I needed to put more oil in the pan. I ended up putting too much oil, so I took it over to the sink to pour some out. While I was pouring, an itsy drop of water fell into the pan & a big fire erupted! I dropped the pan & the first word that screamed out of my mouth was "MOM!!!!!!!!!" HAHA!

Old October 10th, 2010, 8:47 pm
First Year

I hope it's ok i post on this thread but as a person who cooks a lot i have had weird accidents!

Right then once when i was 7 my dad and i were making burgers and he was going to use a frying pan instead, so when i put the burger meat in i dropped it in the pan...with lots of sizzling oil in it...and i got a bit in my right eye.I had to go to a hospital, get dye in my eye making me look like half a Voldemort-look-a-like (according to my sister) and had to wear an eyepatch for two days!

Also this one is not directly a ''cooking accident'' but it is related the subject of baking.
I was making cookies and it was really warm in the kitchen ,i went outside in the back garden while they were in the oven and started to walk across the low stone wall.It was early 2010 so it was very wet, i heard the timer go off all of a sudden and fell over of top of the stone wall and got odd looking bruised deep scratches a few inches below my knee, now because of how it healed with me holding off getting a bandage thinking it wasn't so bad and finishing the cookies.Before it fully healed i noticed the shape of the developing scar was so ironic and similar for the type of fan i was i burst out laughing...i have a small lightning-shaped scar on my leg Believe it or not... O.O

Something tells me that Cooking accidents and Harry Potter don't mix with me but on the plus side i have an Unintentionally awesome and oddly shaped souvenir of the Harry Potter era!!

I'm in GRYFFINDOR!!!......AND I LIKE PIE!
~92% of teens moved on to rap music. If you're part of the 8% that rock out everyday, put this in your sig.~
Old February 21st, 2012, 10:43 am
Second Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheree View Post
Ony of my roomies was making lamb with a tomato-based sauce and didn't put a cookie tin or anything under it when she put it in the oven. So, of course, it spilled over. Now, any time the oven is turned on, you smell it burning, and it leaves your food tasting nasty.
The cure for that is to clean the oven.

Quote:
The item I burn the most is carrots. But I have stainless steel pans, so they don't get ruined. I just clean it off. There are ways to clean off even the worst burnt on grime - if you have good pots.

Old October 21st, 2012, 1:35 pm
Second Year

A couple of times I blew up the coffee maker

Old October 29th, 2012, 5:52 am
Assistant to Minister Longbottom

When I was 16, I found out that if you have a 1/4 inch of hot melted butter in a frying pan ,that you should be very careful when you flip french toast . I flipped a slice of french toast and the butter splashed on my thumb , it took more than a week for the burn to heal.

YOU'RE THE STATUE!

Sorted
Old November 24th, 2012, 8:48 am
Banned

Quote:
You should buy a rice cooker. It turns on and off automatically, the rice is never burned.

My worst cooking accident is handing the salt instead of the sugar to my girlfriend when she was making pastries.

Old March 25th, 2013, 12:37 pm
Suteki da ne

Chorizo microwaved for two minutes doesn't just burn, it catches fire and makes the house stink for three days. Luckily this happened while Dan was on holiday, so he never knew. Mwahahaha

We asked ourselves, "Can we really fight 24 hours?" And the answer was, "We will fight 8,760 hours!"
- Nobuo Uematsu

Old March 30th, 2013, 10:59 pm
Second Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zachary1998 View Post
I am not allowed to cook either without supervision your niece must be my age (10), which is one of the reasons we thought we should use the microwave. Our dad told us if this ever happened again to close the microwave and let the fire die out because without oxygen the fire can't burn. Also I think your niece did the right thing and tried to out the fire out with water. Only it was out of control. If she had done it sooner she would have been fine. Flour works too and so does baking soda and covering the pan with another lid.
Actually, she did the wrong thing for one simple reason. Oil floats on water, which is why you don't use water to to put out burning oil. You have to smother it with a lid or something else that won't burn. That is why dumping a lot of flour on it put it out (once the burner was shut off).

Last edited by Quickquill; March 30th, 2013 at 11:03 pm.
Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > The Burrow: Mrs Weasley's Hobbies & Crafts > Cooking & Recipe Exchange