First Year

Re: The NFL Football Thread v2

Colts 21
Jaguars 9

Sponsored Links
Old November 9th, 2012, 6:22 pm
Curse Breaker

At this point, the Jags would have taken something that close. And hey look, a Chad Henne sighting. Man, he has to be wondering what happened, at this point doesn't he?

No worries. No spoilers here.
Old November 9th, 2012, 11:27 pm
First Year

My picks:

Last Week:11-3! man have I been good the past three weeks.
Season Record:87-45

Giants over Bengals 27-24. Giants can't cover Green but get enough pressure on Dalton for win.
Patriots over Bills 45-21. No contest
Broncos over Panthers 31-10. Miller, Dumervil pound Cam.
Dolphins over Titans 28-10.
Lions over Vikings 17-10. Ponder is now horrible.
Ravens over Raiders 30-20. Rice runs all over Oakland.
Bucs over Chargers 34-27. Buc's offense has been unstoppable. Especially Martin.
Falcons over Saints 42-31. Saint's can stop Vick, not Ryan.
Sehawks over Jets 20-6. CenturyLink field. Nuf said.
Niners over Rams 28-0. If the Patriots gosh-awful defense can hold the Rams to seven, imagine what the Niner's D can do.
Cowboys over Eagles. 20-17. Romo less mistake prone then Vick.
Bears over Texans 17-14. Bears D is one of the best D's I've ever seen.
Steelers over Chiefs 31-3.

Old November 11th, 2012, 8:41 pm
Curse Breaker

The Pats defense is absolutely infuriating. Talented, but stupid, sloppy penalties. Brady seems to have been better than his stat line, and the Pats have moved the ball and cashed in, but the defense is just... (Except, of course for the 3 and out on their own 1 after that desperate fumble recovery).

I have absolutely no idea what went on for three quarters plus in Cincy. Wow.

Old November 12th, 2012, 3:06 am
First Year

Not to mention a tie???????????????????????????????????? Wow. The Patriot's D is atrocious

Old November 12th, 2012, 3:43 am
Curse Breaker

Physically talented, but sometimes vacant between the ears. A bunch of encroachment penalties. Roughing the passer, unnecessary roughness, PI, all sorts of undisciplined overagressive stuff. That tie was really a showstopper. The Rams got an early lead, the Niners slugged their way back. The Rams got the lead late, the Niners drove down for a tying field goal. The Rams got a game-clinching catch and run from Amendola, they got called for an idiotic penalty (that the officials were so confused on, they called it very late and penalized them for the wrong thing!). To say nothing of the clock mismanagement BY THE OFFICIALS in both halves and during overtime. Awful.

This was also the week of the concussion. Alex Smith, Michael Vick, and Jay Cutler all went down with concussions in the same week. Yikes.

And luck finally caught up with the Bears. The condition of the field made for an exceptionally ugly game. Remember all that progress folks thought Jason Campbell was making in the first half of last season with the Raiders? All of that appears to be gone. He was relying solely on checkdowns.

Last edited by jordmundt6; November 12th, 2012 at 3:10 pm.
Old November 15th, 2012, 12:13 am
Sixth Year

This week's picks:

Miami vs Buffalo (bounceback for Tannehil against the awful Bills)
Arizona vs Atlanta- can't see Cards pulling an upset
Tampa Bay vs Carolina- Cam just eases it past TB
Cleveland vs Dallas- First upset, the Browns manhandle awful Dallas front 7 and just rush and play defence.
Green Bay vs Detroit- Sorry Lions
Jacksonville vs Houston- This isn't really a contest
Cincinnati vs Kansas City- perhaps?
NYJ vs St Louis- defensive battle, but ultimately Rams manhandle the jets
Philadelphia vs Washington- a solid performance turns away the shaken Eagles
New Orleans vs Oakland- Joe Flacco lit up the Raiders last week so Brees should be able to bring some fireworks.
San Diego vs Denver- There'll be interceptions on both sides, but mainly against the Chargers
Indianapolis vs New England- Porous team vs complete team.
Baltimore vs Pittsburgh- No Big Ben, no victory. Plus y'know, biased.
Chicago vs San Francisco- toughie, but picking Chicago to pull the wool over SFs eyes

i'm in slytherin!
Old November 15th, 2012, 2:08 am
Curse Breaker

My picks:

Miami over Buffalo. Buffalo's defense is just too porous.

Atlanta over Arizona. I can't see the Cardinals generating enough offense, even if their defense plays well.

Dallas over Cleveland. Look, I know Cleveland uset the Chargers and the Cowboys are mediocre right now with bad mindset, but the talent gap is just too large.

Tampa Bay over Carolina. The Tampa defense is better than the Panthers' defense, and the Bucs' O is clicking right now.

Green Bay over Detroit. I think the Lions could make this interesting by roughing up AR, but I don't think they'll win.

Houston over Jacksonville. Overdose is right. This isn't a contest.

Cincy over KC. Kansas City just doesn't have any rhythm at all right now.

St. Louis over New York Jets--Ugliest game of the week, but the Rams are unified, angry, with something to prove. The Jets are just ripping each other apart.

Washington over Philly--More a statement of the Eagles' disarray and Vick's status than an endorsement of the Redskins' recent play.

New Orleans over Oakland--Stat-stuffing day for Brees.

Denver over San Diego--So long Chargers. See ya next year with a new coach (finally).

New England over Indy--This will be a shootout and the intangibles favor the young Colts, but I think Brady can get out to enough of a lead that even the Pats' defense won't blow it.

Baltimore over Pittsburgh. I agree with Overdose, but things might be different if the Steelers had even the competence of Charlie Batch. Both defenses are beat up and vulnerable.

San Fran over Chicago--without Cutler, that's a wasteland of an offense.

Old November 16th, 2012, 12:15 am
First Year

Jordmunt, I agree with every pick except tonight. I think Buffalo has so much more momentum from nearly beating Houston,New England and Dolphins got destroyed at home by the Titans?!? Besides, CJ Spiller is amazing.

Last Week: 8-5-1
Season Record: 95-50-1

Knew the Bills would win

Last edited by LightningScar97; November 16th, 2012 at 4:41 am.
Old November 16th, 2012, 3:16 pm
Curse Breaker

The two almost wins said more about Houston looking past Buffalo and being flat, and New England having an AWFUL secondary than they did about the Bills having momentum. You are right about Spiller, though. He was a gamebreaker at Clemson, and he's figured out how to follow his blocks. Any idea whether he has a chance to challenge Feathers' YPC record that's stood for nearly 80 years? He's at about 6.9 and the record is 8.44.

Frankly, I thought the all-around disorganized mess of the Buffalo defense would give the Dolphins a chance to get back on track, and it turned out to be more of a game no one wanted to win, not a game one team dominated. It was a one possession game, and the Dolphins had the ball. Frankly, as bad as they played that first half, it should have been an old-school Bills blowout. The fact that it wasn't really indicates that both teams are mediocre at this moment and neither has killer instinct. The entire AFC Eastern DIVISION lacks killer instinct at this moment.

Old November 19th, 2012, 2:07 am
First Year

Unbelievable about the following: Patriots dominating the Colts like they did, Jaguars almost beat Houston and Tampa Bay's comeback.

Old November 19th, 2012, 2:14 am
Curse Breaker

Zona blowing a lead, the Browns blowing a lead, the JAGS squandering a HUGE chance against the Texans in Houston. The only Sunday afternoon game I was wrong about was the Jets, but I'd have been happy to be wrong about some of those upsets. Tampa never should have had to go to overtime, Martin broke the plane of the goal line before the ball was forced out. That was a touchdown.

Old November 19th, 2012, 2:54 am
First Year

UGH, Gronk broke his arm

Old November 19th, 2012, 3:28 am
Curse Breaker

Yup, and the hits keep coming. Important to note that sme players play with mild breaks or sprains with a clublike brace on their arms, but Gronk won't be able to do that and the scrub tight ends they have are just...adequate. Daniel Graham looks quite good next to them.

Old November 19th, 2012, 4:54 am
First Year

Jordmunt, what do you think of the patriots whupping of the Colts

Old November 19th, 2012, 4:44 pm
Curse Breaker

Pyrrhic victory. Gronk out at least three weeks, perhaps as long as thru the end of the regular season, and that's if he progresses with prognostications. Hernandez still isn't back and early projections were he was supposed to be back two weeks ago. I liked how opportunistic the defense was, but they still gave up a lot of yards. Now that the running game is cooling off and they only have replacement level tight ends unfamiliar with the system, the onus will be on Welker and Lloyd to pick up the slack. They may have to resign Branch (again) if they're gonna go into trips to compensate for the lack of tight end production. I think they can get by the Jets even on short rest, but the Texans are coming up in a couple weeks. They need to be near their peak for that, and that looks well nigh impossible. Ashame about Gronk. If he'd been healthy, it looked like he had a real shot to set the record for receiving touchdowns in first three seasons. If he has two games at the end of the year, he might have a chance to equal Rice, but Moss's mark is out of the picture now. Frankly, I just want him back healthy as soon as possible, so the Pats have an outside shot at a bye. Odd that they could go 13-3 and not get a bye out of it.

Old November 21st, 2012, 5:46 pm
First Year

Thanksgiving Picks:

Texans over Lions 41-31. Lion's secondary is horrible.
Cowboys over Redskins 17-13. Cowboy's is getting better.
Patriots over Jets 30-24 OT. Gronk's absence will hurt but not cost the Patriots.

Old November 21st, 2012, 6:14 pm
Curse Breaker

Thanksgiving

Texans over Lions (your score might be accurate for the Texans, but I'm not sure the Lions will generate that many points).

Redskins over Cowboys. Redskins have a better unifying team concept and a more consistent quarterback. The secondary is weak, but the Cowboys o-line is TERRIBLE. Plus, for whatever reason, the Cowboys tend to struggle at home.

Pats over Jets--no overtime. More like 31-17. Gronk's absence will hurt a lot, but not this game.

Old November 23rd, 2012, 5:11 am
First Year

Mega domination by the Patriots, It was so fun to watch.

Old November 23rd, 2012, 2:19 pm
Curse Breaker

Right up to the part where Edelman got concussed on an end-around and they might have to sit him down for awhile. Hopefully, he will recover in time for the next game and the long week might help. That second quarter was a trip! Consider this, Gostowski missed a field goal, and Brady missed a wide open home run shot to Lloyd. A score matching last week's might actually have been on the table, and the Jets didn't play as well as the Colts (not a huge surprise). By the way, if Tebow had two fractured ribs and just couldn't go under any circumstances, why not at least dress McElroy? What would they have done if Sanchez had gotten hurt from one of the hits he'd taken? Line Greene up in single wing?

Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > Diagon Alley > Sports