Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > Diagon Alley > Anime

Worst Anime Dubs

Old August 1st, 2010, 7:13 am
First Year

Re: Worst Anime Dubs

Personally, I think that all dubs in general are horrid. The sound and overacted voices annoy me. I much prefer the subbed videos.

Slytherin
Why yes! We do have plenty of hotties available
Sponsored Links
Old August 1st, 2010, 1:59 pm
Registered Animagus

^ Some are done quite well though. Like Hellsing IMO.

Old August 1st, 2010, 8:12 pm
Jessica and lanifiel's Lackey

Personally, I adore the dub for Cowboy Bebop. I thought it was perfect.

Still, for many, I agree that the dubs detract from the anime.

Let's play nice, my pets. ~ Why I can't rub things in. ~ Search Engine - You're Doing It Right! ~ Questions? Ask here, but remember: Search Engine!

Old August 1st, 2010, 8:16 pm
First Year

Kind of surprised no ones said the 4Kids edition of One Piece.

Old September 17th, 2010, 5:37 am
First Year

I think death note was the worst dub that I had ever seen.

Old December 2nd, 2010, 4:25 pm
Second Year

Re: Worst Anime Dubs!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by marvelite View Post
As for Hellsing... don't start me. All I'll say is that those English accents were dangerously close to hate crime territory...
THANK YOU! I am so glad there is someone else out there who doesn't like the english dub of Hellsing! The voice acting was completely flat and unemotional! I agree with you about those so-called [/i]English accents[/i]

Apart from Hellsing, Bleach and Naruto Shipuuden are the worst dubs for me. Again they are flat and unemotional. The original Naruto was ok for me, I think most of the voices fit the characters more than the Japanese voices do but they're just so bad at giving a decent performance.

But the absolute worst English dub in my opinion is Inuyasha! I just can't see how many people prefer it over the superb original Japanese version! It was butchered and gutted with a knife and then forced to eat it's own insides. No emotion portrayed tn the dub at all! Kagome and Kikyo are aged fifteen and eighteen and they both sound like fifty year old who smoke! Similar thing with Shippo! And Inuyasha himself has the most annoying and terrible voice of all anime dubs in my opinion! And I did watch the dub first.

*pant* *pant* ok rant over!

Last edited by StaceysChain; December 2nd, 2010 at 4:28 pm.
Old January 8th, 2011, 6:44 am
First Year

I'd say the most worst anime dub is One Piece.....

Old May 26th, 2011, 2:17 am
Second Year

I won't even get started on Naruto because everyone here seems to be fully aware of how depressing that dub was.

Besides that, the one dub that grinded my gears is actually ind of silly. When I was a little kid, I loved a cute little girly series called Tokyo Mew Mew. It was my first manga, so I still hold it close to my heart. I'd always watch the original anime, but when they dubbed it they called it Mew Mew Power & pretty much destroyed the whole thing. Not only were the voices terrible, but they changed a lot of the key points/character names in the show. The whole thing was just awful, it upset 8 years ago & it upsets me now. I'm actually glad it got cancelled. It made my inner child cry.

Old June 10th, 2011, 3:31 am
Second Year

Anything that Funimation does is terrible! It seems to me like Chris Sabat does just about every voice, and most of the voices sound like the character is constipated. DBZ had a great dub with the Ocean Group, then it was an ok dub when funi first began, but when the redubbed it they ruined it.

For the most part I dont like any dub, I prefer to watch with sub titles.

Severus Snape ~ The Boy Who Loved
Old August 27th, 2011, 2:48 am
First Year

I don't subsribe to the Japanese Are Our Superiors generalization a lot of my fellow anime and manga fans do.

I watch dubs and enjoy them just fine because Americans are just as talented as the Japanese.

That being said...the Angel Sanctuary OVA was godawful. I don't even know what happened there. They had Crispin Freeman and hey even ruined him somehow.

Old August 27th, 2011, 5:02 pm
Second Year

I've seen the hate for the Sailor Moon dub (which, for me, was tolerable in an "I can't believe it's as bad as you say it is" way) and the Naruto dub (don't watch Naruto anyway, so...) and I sympathize with disliking the One Piece dub. Someone already mentioned Cardcaptors (*vomit*), but what about Tokyo Mew Mew? Yeah, the original series wasn't that great to begin with, but the Americanization of the dub...

Part of me is kind of glad that HCR never got officially brought stateside, it might have ended up being a worse travesty than Cardcaptors was.

Last Update: Episode 4.2 - Dying in the Past (9/21/2011)
When lives are at stake, there is no such thing as a fair fight.

Old August 28th, 2011, 2:51 am
Registered Animagus

I'm not sure if this fits as the worst dub but certaintly the weirdest... Willem Dafoe voicing a woman in Earth Sea.

Old October 16th, 2011, 5:43 pm
Second Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by potions_mistres View Post
Anything that Funimation does is terrible! It seems to me like Chris Sabat does just about every voice, and most of the voices sound like the character is constipated. DBZ had a great dub with the Ocean Group, then it was an ok dub when funi first began, but when the redubbed it they ruined it.
I know that this is an older post by now, but I completely disagree. I also like the Ocean Group dub, but I have no problem at all with the Funimation dub. Yes, Chris Sabat does a lot of the characters, but he makes each one sound unique and different from the others. Vegeta in no way sounds like Piccolo, who in no way sounds like Yamcha, who in no way sounds like Kami.

I also liked the Funimation dub's soundtrack as well. Bruce Faulconer is a genius. I was very disappointed that they couldn't continue using his themes for Kai. Many of the big moments (Frieza's death, Vegeta/Goku going SSJ for the first time, etc.) didn't feel nearly as epic as they used to.

And I'm not sure I understand all the hate for the Naruto dub in here either. I never really paid much attention to that particular show, but I did get to see some of the earlier episodes. Yes, Naruto's english voice IS downright terrible, but the voices for the other characters (Sasuke, Neji, Kakashi, etc.) were done quite well I thought.

For the most part, I actually prefer dubbed anime. Most of it actually is done rather well, and in my opinion, having to constantly read the subtitles takes away from the viewing experience. I don't enjoy having to fixate my eyes on the words characters are saying, rather than what they are actually doing on screen. And anyway, isn't reading supposed to be what manga's for? lol

Member of Ravenclaw on CoS & Member of Slytherin on Pottermore!

Wand: 13 inches, Blackthorn, Dragon Heartstring, Hard.

Go Falcons & Go Dolphins!
Old December 2nd, 2011, 12:23 pm
First Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by AliceLiddell View Post
Kind of surprised no ones said the 4Kids edition of One Piece.
Pretty much everything 4kids dubs ends up awful.

Some Funimation dubs are okay, the Strike Witches one was pretty good (Although Trudi's voice actor was a bit of a let-down for me, as was Shirley's).

But some of the Disney-made dubs are shockingly bad.

Old December 4th, 2011, 10:07 am
First Year

I'll just leave this here.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nWNx4p6FVRA

*plooka plooka*

世界は美しくなんかない。そしてそれ故に美しい。
Old April 17th, 2012, 6:36 am
First Year

I think the worst dub I've ever seen has been Nelvana's dub of Cardcaptors. They completely butchered that series beyond recongition. Although they aired all the episodes in other English speaking countries, the Kid's WB in the U.S. skipped and combined almost half of the episodes and reduced the series from 70 episodes down to 39. They completely changed everyone's personalities and made everyone really rude and they turned Tomoyo into a valleygirl. I also hated that they cut out everything that was cute and funny and removed all the romance into the show to turn it into a Pokemon rip off. It was also incredibly sexist that they rewrote the plot to have it focus on Syaoran instead of Sakura because they didn't think enough of a market for girls' animation.

Old July 23rd, 2012, 5:23 am
First Year

Sandy Frank's production of Gatchaman, AKA "Battle of the Planets", with the inane little robot (7-Zark-7) patched in to provide... uh... I'm not sure what he was supposed to provide... narrative continuity perhaps...

― Roald Dahl
Old February 3rd, 2013, 3:23 pm
First Year

I've only seen a few anime in English (and also just a few episodes), but if there's one series that is absolutely horrible in English, than it's Digimon Adventure and Digimon Adventure 02. I've loved the German(!) version as a child and, to be honest, still love it. But when I saw the English version, it just felt like watching a cheap knock-off. No digivolution theme songs (we had translated versions of the Japanese ones), different opening songs (German version had translated ones for that, too) and weird BGM. I really missed "Bokura no Digital World" and "Sun Goes Down" in 02 and "Seven" in Adventure. Not to mention how they changed the characters.

Old February 3rd, 2013, 5:11 pm
She Who Walks Behind

I watched Naruto in German today for the first time and that was horrible. I'm used to Japanese voices and those seem to fit the characters really well. But the German ones are so OOC sometimes. I'm glad that they at least kept the Japanese openings.

But then it's all about what you are used to. I watched DB and DBZ in German first and got used to the voices. When I watch it in Japanese, then it sounds so odd, especially Son Goku.

The End of the Dream.
Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > Diagon Alley > Anime