Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > Diagon Alley > Sports

Cricket

Old July 31st, 2011, 8:29 pm
Oracle Octopus

Re: Cricket

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyrose View Post
Will all captains do the same? Oh, no, of course not! I cannot imagine Ponting doing it, nor Waugh, for instance.
The moment I read that it made me laugh. For Ponting has to come up when it comes to mean spirited cricket.

Quote:
Why didn't Strauss call back Harbhajan when he given out LBW??
Because Broad will go chasing after him with a sickle...for ruining his hat-trick. Getting serious, I think the answer to that is embedded in the excerpt I provided from cricinfo...

cricinfoHarsha Bhogle makes a crucial point. Does this now mean captains can reverse bump balls catches retrospectively? This time, Dhoni had 20 minutes of a break to contemplate his decision. What if that's not the case

They didn't have 20 minutes to think it out, or for that matter have a second look at the replay before the next player was out and the ball bowled. Moreover lets not forget that no player has the right to revert the decision of the umpire. Here in case of Bell the umpires had left it on MSD to decide, which in my opinions shows the incapability of the umpires (but that's a different issue), whilst in case of Harbhajan the umpire had given him out (another horrendous decision in favor of India...cheers!!!) so there wasn't much Strauss could do.

Quote:
The big issue about 'the run out that wasn't' hasn't been mentioned yet. I had already started a cheese sandwich, so it was definitely tea.

Sponsored Links
Old July 31st, 2011, 8:49 pm
Conquering Reading Lists

Quote:
Originally Posted by mysterious View Post
The moment I read that it made me laugh. For Ponting has to come up when it comes to mean spirited cricket.
Exactly my point

Quote:
Here in case of Bell the umpires had left it on MSD to decide, which in my opinions shows the incapability of the umpires (but that's a different issue), whilst in case of Harbhajan the umpire had given him out (another horrendous decision in favor of India...cheers!!!) so there wasn't much Strauss could do.
Yes, that's true. This run out was a bizarre, special incident and I'm glad Dhoni responded to it in a special way. As for Strauss, if I met him I'd tell him that if he likes to experience sportsmanship from the other team, he might do well to remember that the other team and cricket fans would look out to see if he's able to give some in return if there is such a situation.

Quote:
That man is a genius

ETA: Link to an article

Samit Bal has an excellent article on yesterday's The Run-Out. Best part of the article:

Certainly, there is precedence for batsmen being run out in innocent circumstances..... the boot was on the other foot when England, under Paul Collingwood, chose to appeal after Grant Elliot was unable to regain his crease following a mid-pitch collision with Ryan Sidebottom in a one-day match at The Oval in 2008. Guess the identity of the fielder who relayed the ball to Kevin Pietersen, who took off the bails: Ian Bell.

Worth remembering this.

"At the end of the first round, I will award three points to Mr. Kaine for an excellent nonspecific condemnation, plus one bonus point for blaming the previous government and another for successfully mutating the question to promote the party line. Mr. van de Poste gets a point for a firm rebuttal, but only two points for his condemnation, as he tried to inject an impartial and intelligent observation"
- Jasper Fforde, Something Rotten

Avatar credit: RachelDinozzo at Deviantart

Rita Skeeter was here

Last edited by lilyrose; August 1st, 2011 at 4:59 am.
Old March 18th, 2012, 1:08 am
Conquering Reading Lists

Reviving this thread, because it's not every day someone hits a hundred centuries in cricket It's been a long time coming, but we're all so proud and relieved that Sachin Tendulkar is now the first (and may be the only) player to hit a 100 tons 49 ODI (against every test playing nation, unless I'm mistaken) and 51 test centuries, and the majority of these (20) have come against the greatest cricketing team of his times, Australia. What a class act.

Cricinfo has this great chart:

100 100s:    

"At the end of the first round, I will award three points to Mr. Kaine for an excellent nonspecific condemnation, plus one bonus point for blaming the previous government and another for successfully mutating the question to promote the party line. Mr. van de Poste gets a point for a firm rebuttal, but only two points for his condemnation, as he tried to inject an impartial and intelligent observation"
- Jasper Fforde, Something Rotten

Avatar credit: RachelDinozzo at Deviantart

Rita Skeeter was here

Last edited by lilyrose; March 18th, 2012 at 1:20 am.
Old August 29th, 2012, 1:20 pm
Sixth Year

Strauss announces retirement from all forms of cricket. That's the third english captain for Graeme Smith.

Old September 23rd, 2012, 10:36 pm
Third Year

T20 World Cup. Anyone gonna watching?

DO NOT DISTURB: SPIDERMAN DANCE IN PROGRESS!
Old December 14th, 2012, 9:49 am
Fourth Year

No, but I've been glued to the test series between india and England.

I've caught some of the Aussie 20/20 - The big Bash - they have stups and bails that light up when the ball hits them - very cool and you have a much clearer idea of the moment of contact - so it's useful too!

Old February 10th, 2013, 8:35 am
Banned

Hi,

Yes it will be great series. Two great teams of the world putting a fight against each other. Great to sachin in form again scored hundred against rest of india.

[spam removed by staff]

Old February 13th, 2014, 10:22 pm
Sixth Year

Mitchell Johnson seems to be in the form of his life. Some *serious* fast bowling. Its been a while since batsmen have had to fear for their limbs.

I loved watching the England team get dismantled, not so happy about it happening to the SA side. SA tend to start a series sluggish so hopefully things will get better. I do believe they have a better lineup than England and hopefully their bowlers can copy some of Mitchell's aggression. This should be a cracking series.

Old March 5th, 2014, 11:15 pm
Sixth Year

It was a cracking series after all. Congrats to the Aussies for a great series....buggers. Hopefully we play a proper 5 match series the next time.

Also wanted to wish Graeme Smith good luck for all his future endeavors. I'm a huge fan of Biff and am pretty sad at the moment. Thank you for all the memories Biff and I'll miss seeing you out there. #ThankYouBiff

Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > Diagon Alley > Sports