Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > The Writing on the Wall > Writer's Corner

New idea for a novel that I want your critique on

Old December 24th, 2012, 11:15 am
First Year

New idea for a novel that I want your critique on

Hello fellow Potterheads, my name is Connor. I'm new here.

So I have this vague idea for a novel in the fantasy genre and also for children. It is very vague and underdeveloped.

The novel is based around a 'crack' that is rarely ever mentioned in fantasy novels. The crack is between sorcerers and humans like ourselves and how they would react if the two worlds were ever binded. Basically the novel focuses around a group of sorcerers who must stop the humans from causing the long awaited apocalypse of the magic world. They do this by fighting back and aparating themselves to and from the magical world and real life Earth.

What do you think? Any improvements?

Sponsored Links
Old December 25th, 2012, 3:41 am
Seventh Year

Re: New idea for a novel that I want your critique on

Personally, I'd want to hear more before I gave a critique. I think there are two different ideas here: the first is the first two sentences of your description that reads like "harry potter if there was no statute of secrecy" Then you have an idea about how humans would bring about an apocalypse. I think the second idea is more interesting, personally.

What I would want to know more about would be:

Sorcerers apparate between their world and the human world, are they in alternate realities like Zion and the Matrix? Are they on, like, different planets or something?

If they're not living in the same place at the same time, why would the sorcerers care what the humans do to their own world? Why do they care if the humans cause an apocalypse? Seems more interesting if they all live in the same place and the one groups actions directly affect the others.

Are the humans purposefully bringing about this apocalypse or is it accidental? If its purposeful, what is their rationale? Are they trying to exterminate the sorcerers? How would they ensure their own survival?

It's an interesting idea, I just have a lot of questions. Do you have a character or more of a plot fleshed out?

Old December 25th, 2012, 12:49 pm
Registered Animagus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goddess_Clio View Post
Personally, I'd want to hear more before I gave a critique. I think there are two different ideas here: the first is the first two sentences of your description that reads like "harry potter if there was no statute of secrecy" Then you have an idea about how humans would bring about an apocalypse. I think the second idea is more interesting, personally.

What I would want to know more about would be:

Sorcerers apparate between their world and the human world, are they in alternate realities like Zion and the Matrix? Are they on, like, different planets or something?

If they're not living in the same place at the same time, why would the sorcerers care what the humans do to their own world? Why do they care if the humans cause an apocalypse? Seems more interesting if they all live in the same place and the one groups actions directly affect the others.

Are the humans purposefully bringing about this apocalypse or is it accidental? If its purposeful, what is their rationale? Are they trying to exterminate the sorcerers? How would they ensure their own survival?

It's an interesting idea, I just have a lot of questions. Do you have a character or more of a plot fleshed out?
I think it's very clear that the humans are going to cause an apocalypse in the wizard world. If the humans are unaware of the magical world, and it seems to me that they are, they don't know that they are causing the end of the magical world.

Old December 26th, 2012, 2:35 am
Seventh Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desraelda View Post
I think it's very clear that the humans are going to cause an apocalypse in the wizard world. If the humans are unaware of the magical world, and it seems to me that they are, they don't know that they are causing the end of the magical world.
I don't think it's that clear and I actually find interest in both ideas to some degree.

1) The humans don't know about the magical world and are inadvertently causing an apocalypse in that world
OR
2) The humans DO know about the magical world and are knowingly causing a genocidal apocalypse (of sort) hoping to just get the magical folk and that enough humans will survive the magical apocalypse that they can reclaim the earth in the name of the non-magical.

ToMAYto, toMAHto, it's all in the way you look at it.

Old December 26th, 2012, 3:19 pm
First Year

Hi you two,

The idea I intended was for the human world to cause the apocalypse by causing significant events involving wizards etc. such as wars or natural disasters.

In answer to your question Goddess, they are both in alternate realities but a special force that is unbeknown to both is forcing them ever closer. This is why the humans want to cause the apocalypse so that they will not be drowned out if you will by the wizards.

Old December 27th, 2012, 2:57 am
Seventh Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by ConnorFarley View Post
Hi you two,

The idea I intended was for the human world to cause the apocalypse by causing significant events involving wizards etc. such as wars or natural disasters.

In answer to your question Goddess, they are both in alternate realities but a special force that is unbeknown to both is forcing them ever closer. This is why the humans want to cause the apocalypse so that they will not be drowned out if you will by the wizards.
So the humans are knowingly causing the apocalypse in order to sort of save themselves from being annihilated by the magical world? Okay, that's kind of a cool idea...

Old December 27th, 2012, 3:28 am
Registered Animagus

I like it, too. Now get busy writing.

Old December 27th, 2012, 10:00 am
First Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goddess_Clio View Post
So the humans are knowingly causing the apocalypse in order to sort of save themselves from being annihilated by the magical world? Okay, that's kind of a cool idea...
Yes spot on Goddess

Old February 23rd, 2013, 1:12 am
Registered Animagus

Quote:
Originally Posted by ConnorFarley View Post
Yes spot on Goddess

How is this coming along?

Old February 26th, 2013, 5:50 pm
Member of the Order

Not enough details.

Stuff I would think that you'd know:

First, bear in mind that fantasy can be a difficult genre. And mixing the "real world" with fantasy elements demand answers to a lot of questions that a "real-life" character is going to have. And unless you want to show how much better/worse one world is over the other you're going to have to scale the worlds in a similar fashion in some ways.

Second, how much more original is your story compared to others that have written something similar? The mixing of fantasy and the contemporary world isn't uncommon. (eg. Joel Rosenberg's Guardians of the Flame series) Although Having an apocalypse seems a bit permanent. If the story is written well, people are going to want more.

All fighters are pig-headed some way or another: some part of them always thinks they know better than you about something. Truth is: even if they're wrong, even if that one thing is going to be the ruin of them, if you can beat that last bad out of them... they ain't fighters at all.

---Eddie Scrap-Iron Dupris (Million Dollar Baby)
Old February 27th, 2013, 6:05 am
First Year

Did Rowling coin the term "apparate" with regards to magical teleportation? I know it has its roots in latin and can refer to other things, but it's generally associated with Harry Potter. You might want to use a different word.

The only thing that felt really awesome to me in your post was this bit: Basically the novel focuses around a group of sorcerers who must stop the humans from causing the long awaited apocalypse of the magic world.

Loads of potential there. Cheers

Old February 27th, 2013, 7:17 am
Master of the Magical Arts

Quote:
Originally Posted by CheddarTrek View Post
Did Rowling coin the term "apparate" with regards to magical teleportation?
No. It's a back-formation from apparition.

http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/apparate

A patriot is someone who wants the best for his country, including the best laws and the best ideals. It's something other people should call you -- you shouldn't call yourself that. People who call themselves patriots are usually liars. -- Donald Woods

You got what anybody gets . . . You got a lifetime. -- Death of the Endless
Old February 27th, 2013, 1:38 pm
Member of the Order

Still, taking terms that some readers will see as associated with another author's material is generally bad form and lets be honest, it shows a lack of imagination. The word is already associated with Rowlings' series. If a wizard "apparates" the reader/s' mind will always return to the world of Hogwarts.
Another thing that seems to ring a warning bell, this difference between humans and sorcerers. Humans are the antagonists? Really? This really needs to be thought out.

All fighters are pig-headed some way or another: some part of them always thinks they know better than you about something. Truth is: even if they're wrong, even if that one thing is going to be the ruin of them, if you can beat that last bad out of them... they ain't fighters at all.

---Eddie Scrap-Iron Dupris (Million Dollar Baby)
Old March 3rd, 2013, 2:47 am
First Year

I haven't read all of these replies, but I like your idea...have you begun writing? Do you have anything more planned out? You've perked my interest!

Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > The Writing on the Wall > Writer's Corner