Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > Harry Potter > The Stone > Legilimency Studies

Lord Voldemort aka Tom Marvolo Riddle: Character Analysis

Old June 7th, 2012, 3:14 pm
Sixth Year

Re: Lord Voldemort aka Tom Marvolo Riddle: Character Analysis

I think ultimately he would have wanted to become dictator of the universe. I don't think he was the type to sit idly. If he had conquered Britain, IMO he would have attempted to take over other countries.

Sponsored Links
Old June 7th, 2012, 5:05 pm
Second Year

He had set himself on a course (the quest for immortality) and all he did was motivated by that quest, which in itself is motivated by fear - of the unknown, of betrayal, of death. As a consequence of that quest, he had put himself in a very difficult position of having legions at his command, and many powerful witches and wizards aligned with him who we would never be able to trust - being a trait that he could not risk, nor even comprehend fully.

I dare say he'd continue his campaign for blood purity, eliminating the muggle-borns and blood traitors, establishing wizarding rule over the muggles. But as for what he would do with this power, I cannot imagine. Because I do not think he would know himself if and where it all ended. He was on a journey without map or rudder.

You're the weak one. And you'll never know love, or friendship. And I feel sorry for you.

I'm LightChaser4263 on Pottermore.
Feel free to add me as a friend, but please owl me first on CoS. Thanks!
Proud member of Gryffindor House in the Chamber of Secrets and on Pottermore.
Old June 7th, 2012, 9:31 pm
Hogwarts Graduate

That is true. He reminded me of the oldest Peverall brother, the one who first had the Elder Wand. that brother was cruel and insisted on total domination and Voldemort was the same. Eventually, the eldest brother was killed. If Harry didn't kill Voldemort, someone else probably would have killed him.

Old June 7th, 2012, 10:19 pm
Second Year

Ah, but herein lies the problem, he can't be killed unless someone takes out the horcruxes first; if not for the prophecy causing a diversion to attack the Potters, his next step would have been to eradicate all evidence of what he had done - Dumbledore, Slughorn and in due course, even Lucius and Bellatrix who were complicit in concealing the horcruxes. Even if they didn't know exactly what they were, they knew that they were valuable artifacts and precious to Voldemort.

Not sure what he'd do about the ghost of Helena Ravenclaw though.

You're the weak one. And you'll never know love, or friendship. And I feel sorry for you.

I'm LightChaser4263 on Pottermore.
Feel free to add me as a friend, but please owl me first on CoS. Thanks!
Proud member of Gryffindor House in the Chamber of Secrets and on Pottermore.
Old June 8th, 2012, 3:35 pm
Hogwarts Graduate

Fall in love with her? lol!

Old July 5th, 2012, 1:57 am
First Year

I remember Hagrid said that he couldn't believe he'd live to see the Tri Wizard Cup be hosted in Hogwarts again... And Hagrid was a 3rd year when Tom Riddle was in his 5th or sixth year? So do you think Hogwarts had the Triwizard tournament when Tom's time era, OR Lily and James time era, while Hagrid was gamekeeper?
Because if it was hosted during Tom's time, would you think Tom would have put his name in the goblet?

Old July 5th, 2012, 2:02 pm
Sixth Year

I believe it was a few hundred years back that the previous tournament was held. If it had happened during Tom's time, I'm pretty sure he'd have put his name and won it (unless he was in his first couple of years at hogwarts).

Old July 5th, 2012, 3:17 pm
Second Year

I don't think the Triwizard tournament was held in Toms time at Hogwarts. Wasn't it cancelled in the 1700's because the judges were killed or something like that? Maybe Hagrid just meant he never thought he'd live to see it revived.

If a tournament did take place whilst Tom Riddle was at Hogwarts, I think he would definitely have entered and likely won. The chance for 'eternal glory' sounds like something he'd want.

Twitter - @NiallJAdams
Old July 6th, 2012, 7:18 am
Second Year

Quote:
What was Voldemort's eventual goal? If he hadn't been blown to smithereens in 1981 and continued his rise to power, what would he have done with it once he had it? Did he intend to make himself Perpetual Minister of Magic? Did he want to rule Britain as a dictator? Did he want to just kill all muggleborns and then kick back on his porch with a fruity drink?
Ultimately, his wrath would have turned from Muggle-borns to Muggles themselves. I think he was a little like Magneto in X-Men: he had heard the history of witch-hunts and suspected wizards and witches being burned, and believed that that prejudice never goes away, and that the only way peace could be achieved is if wizards were to enslave or eradicate Muggles and dominate the world as a whole.

Conservatives want to be your daddy, telling you what to do and what not to do. Liberals want to be your mommy, feeding you, tucking you in, and wiping your nose. Libertarians want to treat you as an adult
Old July 6th, 2012, 4:26 pm
Seventh Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halcipher View Post
I remember Hagrid said that he couldn't believe he'd live to see the Tri Wizard Cup be hosted in Hogwarts again... And Hagrid was a 3rd year when Tom Riddle was in his 5th or sixth year? So do you think Hogwarts had the Triwizard tournament when Tom's time era, OR Lily and James time era, while Hagrid was gamekeeper?
It's not that Hagrid had seen the Triwizard tounament before, his excitement, and everyone else's excitement, was due to this legendary tournament being revived after centuries. It would have been like someone in 1896 saying "I never thought I'd live to see the day the Olympics were being held again!" because they hadn't taken place for something like 1,500 years.

Old December 13th, 2012, 5:07 pm
Assistant to Professor Snape

Carried over from the general "what if" thread in The Cloak...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MerryLore View Post
They way I see it, Voldemort wanted to punish Lucius and was using Draco to do it. He never thought Draco could kill Dumbledore, but either way, Voldemort had nothing to lose and something to gain: he'd either get to punish Lucius or DD would be dead. I don't think Voldy respected Draco any more than he did Lucius, and had no intentions of making Draco a DE.
The Death Eaters certainly considered the Dark Mark a great honor and themselves Voldemort's inner circle. (We can see this in, for example, how Bella speaks to the Snatchers in "Malfoy Manor", DH).

However, my own understanding of Voldemort's character suggests that he thinks of people and things as interchangeable, and only in terms of their utility to him and how he will use them. Thus, I think he would "bestow the honor" of a Dark Mark on anyone he decided he wanted to be able to summon to him at will. For this reason, I suppose that he would have made Draco a Death Eater, the better to get updates in the plan when he wanted them, and the better to issue threats with which to add to his (and his family's) distress.

We know of other characters who were marked quite young and have no known notable accomplishments, like Regulus Black and Severus Snape (I suppose it is possible the latter only received his mark after delivering the Prophecy...but Regulus is not known to have done anything and is described to us as having "cold feet" which suggests to me that like Draco, he proved not a very useful tool for Voldemort.)

“Death is the only pure, beautiful conclusion of a great passion.”-D. H. Lawrence

All was well.

Avatar by nerwende, signature art by sigune, used with permission.
Old June 5th, 2013, 12:58 pm
Sixth Year

From the Snape thread:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sereena
It occurs to me that even if Snape had been the master of the Elder wand, his death was still pointless. It's enough to disarm someone to gain ownership of the wand so it made me wonder why Voldemort would decide to kill Snape. It's not like he didn't have any use for him or suspected him of being a traitor.
I think the reason that Voldemort wanted to kill past owners of the Elder Wand was simply that he did not want to share power, and the wand was a symbol of power. I think Voldemort wanted to be on the stage alone, assured that he was the only living soul who commanded or had ever commanded the Wand of Destiny.

I think Voldemort was well aware that he did not need to kill to get mastery-- although I think a case could be made that he was not sure of that fact. When he had the Elder Wand, it did not work for him as if he had mastery over it in a way that allowed him to do extraordinary magic, but it still worked for him in a way that allowed him to do normal magic. From that, I think Voldemort could assume that just because those other wizards had had the Wand and used it, that did not mean they had mastery over it when they were using it, because apparently it works like a perfectly fine ordinary wand without mastery.

Voldemort had known Dumbledore from age eleven through his Hogwarts years, and I think his opinion about Dumbledore and Dumbledore's power formed then-- which would have been prior to Dumbledore acquiring the Wand. Voldemort might have been wondering why Dumbledore, who was a powerful wizard before acquiring the Wand, had never managed to vanquish him when he had it. This might have raised the question about whether the Wand had only worked partially for Dumbledore, just like it was only working partially for him, and Voldemort decided to just go kill anyone who had ever owned it, as it was passed down in the legends in that manner.

So I think Voldemort decided to simply murder his way to a solution, to be absolutely certain he got mastery. That included murdering someone he thought was loyal, because to Voldemort gaining power always trumped valuing loyalty. Ironically, Snape's murder was pointless because he was never master of the Wand-- or even ever possessed it, mastered or not.

"UNTIL THE VERY END"
-- JK Rowling to Harry Potter fans at the beginning of Deathly Hallows, and James Potter to his son at the end of Deathly Hallows.
Old June 5th, 2013, 5:03 pm
Curse Breaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldMotherCrow View Post
I think Voldemort was well aware that he did not need to kill to get mastery-- although I think a case could be made that he was not sure of that fact. When he had the Elder Wand, it did not work for him as if he had mastery over it in a way that allowed him to do extraordinary magic, but it still worked for him in a way that allowed him to do normal magic. From that, I think Voldemort could assume that just because those other wizards had had the Wand and used it, that did not mean they had mastery over it when they were using it, because apparently it works like a perfectly fine ordinary wand without mastery.
I'm not sure that Voldemort did know killing Snape wasn't necessary for mastery of the Elder Wand. Every indication, I think, shows he did think it necessary...both from a personal perspective (when Voldemort bothered to go after someone, he didn't leave them alive), and his own ignorance of the Deathly Hallows. He had one of them in his possession from age 16 and didn't know it. Dumbledore was right that Voldemort would not have sought the cloak if he knew about it, nor the stone because he feared death, as he told Harry at King's Cross. The Elder Wand held a strong story on its own, regardless of its beginnings in the legend, and I believe that's all Voldemort knew. It had a bloody history of possession, and his own preference that enemies be ultimately killed would have led him to think that death of the previous owner was the only way to get complete power.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldMotherCrow
Voldemort had known Dumbledore from age eleven through his Hogwarts years, and I think his opinion about Dumbledore and Dumbledore's power formed then-- which would have been prior to Dumbledore acquiring the Wand. Voldemort might have been wondering why Dumbledore, who was a powerful wizard before acquiring the Wand, had never managed to vanquish him when he had it. This might have raised the question about whether the Wand had only worked partially for Dumbledore, just like it was only working partially for him, and Voldemort decided to just go kill anyone who had ever owned it, as it was passed down in the legends in that manner.
I think that Voldemort probably thought that Dumbledore left Grindelwald live out of weakness in Dumbledore's character (love, empathy, compassion). While you make an interesting point, we all know that Voldy is a bit dense in some areas because his huge ego blinds him, so I don't think he would have entertained that fine a thought. I think the reason Voldemort killed Grindelwald was so no one else -- particularly Harry -- would be able to get information to acquire the wand.

....I miss David Tennant....
Old June 5th, 2013, 7:51 pm
Fourth Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldMotherCrow View Post
I guess it's possible that he didn't know those wizards were the wand's masters but I wouldn't say the books imply this at all. He personally interrogated them and used Legilimency on Gregorovitch, so he must have known the whole truth, IMO. It would also be strange to assume that someone owns and uses a wand for several years but without being its master Why would anyone not try to become the master of the Elder wand and use its full potential if they already own it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by HedwigOwl View Post
I'm not sure that Voldemort did know killing Snape wasn't necessary for mastery of the Elder Wand.
But why not, though? He had met previous wand owners and knew they were alive but no longer had the wand. Grindelwald had been defeated by Dumbledore, and Voldemort knew this as well. He could have at least tried to Disarm Snape and see if it worked before just killing him.

Old June 6th, 2013, 6:15 am
Curse Breaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sereena View Post
But why not, though? He had met previous wand owners and knew they were alive but no longer had the wand. Grindelwald had been defeated by Dumbledore, and Voldemort knew this as well. He could have at least tried to Disarm Snape and see if it worked before just killing him.
I think that Voldemort would have had to gone through a severe personality change in order to do something like that. He acknowledged Snape's loyalty before killing him, but likely only in the sense of regret that he could no longer use Snape to his own purposes.

....I miss David Tennant....
Old June 6th, 2013, 7:00 am
Sixth Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by HedwigOwl View Post
I think that Voldemort would have had to gone through a severe personality change in order to do something like that. He acknowledged Snape's loyalty before killing him, but likely only in the sense of regret that he could no longer use Snape to his own purposes.
Agreed. I also think that Voldemort had absolutely no qualms about killing Snape off because he'd already done everything that Voldemort needed him to do. In his mind, he probably figured he didn't need a spy anymore because he was routing the resistance openly, and he knew Harry would give himself up so he wouldn't have any worthy challengers left to defend himself against. Killing Snape not only killed off the threat to his mastery of the Elder Wand--it would also serve to strike fear and fealty into the hearts of his Death Eaters by showing that no one, not even his right-hand man, was safe from him.

"No trial, no error, no ability to conceptualize. Perfection would make us obsolete. Many magnificent things have been, and will continue to come into existence. And yet every last one of them will fall short of perfection's finish. Our function as men of science relies on their many shortcomings. Then, and only then, can we apply the fruits of our labor."--Mayuri Kurotsuchi, Bleach
Old April 28th, 2014, 2:53 pm
Zonko's Employee

I think one word to describe Voldemort is capricious. Knowledge of the Elder Wand's existence was fairly new to Voldemort. While he is cunning and calculating he had moments throughout the series of rashness and over-estimating his own abilities. He just does what feels right is the moment. He feels like killing someone. He does it. He feels like toying with someone. He does it. He feels like testing someone. He does that, too. He feels like torturing some. Ditto. Loyalty is a fleeting thing to him. It can inspire anger, contemptuousness, or even move him to take pity (as he did try to spare Lily for Snape.) He never has a moments doubt about his decisions even after they blow up in his face. In other words, he didn't need a reason to kill Snape, nor to spare him. He simply felt like killing him and that's all the justification he needed. Questions about the Elder Wand would never have occurred to him. He believed he could conquer anything. And if he didn't it was some other person's fault. Never his own.

Old May 2nd, 2014, 6:19 pm
Hogwarts Graduate

Quote:
Originally Posted by flimseycauldron View Post
I think one word to describe Voldemort is capricious. Knowledge of the Elder Wand's existence was fairly new to Voldemort. While he is cunning and calculating he had moments throughout the series of rashness and over-estimating his own abilities. He just does what feels right is the moment. He feels like killing someone. He does it. He feels like toying with someone. He does it. He feels like testing someone. He does that, too. He feels like torturing some. Ditto.
I agree, and that led to Harry's escape in GoF - Voldemort decided to toy with Harry by duelling him, and that backfired spectacularly. It also led to his first fall - he toyed with the idea of moving Lily aside, then basically decided "hmm, probably better to kill them all, anyway".

On the other hand, he is also obsessive - he was obsessed, ever since being told of the prophecy, with killing the boy who could vanquish him; he was obsessed with immortality; he became obsessed with the Elder wand. He also had the patience to wait a year to capture Harry in a way that would keep his comeback quiet, rather than use another wizard, rather than just have Crouch grab Harry on a Hogsmeade weekend and apparate him away.

Quote:
Loyalty is a fleeting thing to him. It can inspire anger, contemptuousness, or even move him to take pity (as he did try to spare Lily for Snape.) He never has a moments doubt about his decisions even after they blow up in his face.
He does claim to appreciate loyalty, he promises to reward the DEs who were loyal to him, those who tried to find him and who went to Azkaban rather than plead Imperius. However, I agree that it is fleeting. He quickly lost interest in Bella's fanatical devotion to him and didn't have much appreciation for her loyalty after the mess-up at the Ministry.

Quote:
In other words, he didn't need a reason to kill Snape, nor to spare him. He simply felt like killing him and that's all the justification he needed.
It wasn't just because he felt like killing Snape. It was because he believed that was the way to gain mastery of the Elder wand. Like you said, he never thought to question the workings of the Elder Wand in depth.

Quote:
He believed he could conquer anything. And if he didn't it was some other person's fault. Never his own.
Unless that person's actions made him look bad in his own eyes - he stated in DH that Harry's continuing survival was due to his own decisions/mistakes, not any of Harry's skills. He couldn't admit that someone had beaten him in any way, better to admit to a minor mistake than to being weaker than another. (Yes, he was magically much more powerful than Harry, but the Priori Incantatem effect in the graveyard showed that Harry had more determination and willpower, IMO.)

Pic by julvett at deviantart http://julvett.deviantart.com/gallery/2984632
"Relationships are like glass; sometimes it's better to leave them broken than to hurt yourself trying to put them back together." Anonymous
"Like this one time I sort of ran over this girl on her bike. It was the most traumatising event of my life and she’s trying to make it about her leg. Like my pain meant nothing." - Cordelia; Buffy the Vampire Slayer S1Ep11.

Last edited by FurryDice; May 2nd, 2014 at 6:21 pm.
Old May 10th, 2014, 12:59 pm
First Year

Bringing this over from the Lily thread:

Quote:
I could see the characteristics that Voldemort claims to like in James. But Lily? Her blood status alone would rule her out...we are told that she was very powerful and smart. But there were other smart, powerful wizards that he didn't attempt to convert. Was it something in her make up or personality that led Voldemort to believe she would step aside to let him murder her child? Did he think he could sway her because she was young? Or simply because he thought that she would selfishly choose her own life? Perhaps he never really had any intention of sparing her at all. Like Hermione did with Neville, Voldemort could have frozen her, or jinxed her in some other way, so that she would be unable to go for Harry. Thus he would have spared her life and killed Harry to boot..
I don't think Voldemort was a true believer in pure-blood supremacy, only in wizard supremacy, (he seemed to just care about power and seemed to know that blood status didn't really matter in terms of magical power, since he seemed to think himself the most powerful wizard of all, rivaling Dumbledore, and both he and Dumbledore were half-blood), IMO, so I think he was willing to make an exception for Lily and tell the true believers amongst his followers that rare exceptions could be made. Having said that, I think that if Lily had joined Voldemort, he probably would not have given her the Dark Mark and made her an official DE. I suspect that if she joined, she might have had a similar status to Greyback, and been allowed to be an ally and work with the DEs, but not be given the Dark Mark nor attend high level meetings such as the one at the beginning of DH.

I think Lily being so young was probably a factor in why she was targeted for conversion, since Voldemort may have thought that would make her more malleable.

And Voldemort had to have had intention of sparing her, if she stood aside, or her sacrifice wouldn't have triggered that ancient blood protection magic for Harry. (JKR talks about that here: http://www.accio-quote.org/articles/...t-anelli-1.htm) Voldemort just wasn't going to spare her unconditionally. And I don't think even her being pure-blood would have saved her, since James got the ax with not even an offer to be spared if he stood aside. I think it was "three strikes and you're out" for Voldemort with regards to people he wanted to convert who defied him, barring the special circumstance of being willing to spare Lily if she moved aside, as a reward for Snape for bringing him the Prophecy.

I prefer Severus/Lily in an AU, in a world where Snape makes better choices before it's too late, and they stay together forever. I support canon, I just want this parallel AU with Lily not losing her childhood friend and being hurt by that, and with Snape not screwing up his most important relationship and just generally wrecking his life, and with the friendship "upgrade" that certainly could have happened had Snape dialed down the awful choicemaking.
Old May 10th, 2014, 1:54 pm
Hogwarts Graduate

Quote:
Was it something in her make up or personality that led Voldemort to believe she would step aside to let him murder her child? Did he think he could sway her because she was young? Or simply because he thought that she would selfishly choose her own life?
I think he got an enjoyment out of toying with her. Voldemort shows that le likes to toy with his victims - he gave Harry the opportunity to duel him, fully expecting Harry to have no chance whatsoever.
I think he also may have seen this as proving his point about love being meaningless, and he may also have seen it as similar to his offer to Lily to join him - would she choose her life or her love?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorlum View Post
I don't think Voldemort was a true believer in pure-blood supremacy, only in wizard supremacy, (he seemed to just care about power and seemed to know that blood status didn't really matter in terms of magical power, since he seemed to think himself the most powerful wizard of all, rivaling Dumbledore, and both he and Dumbledore were half-blood), IMO, so I think he was willing to make an exception for Lily and tell the true believers amongst his followers that rare exceptions could be made.
I think that he did believe in pureblood supremacy, to an extent. But I'm not sure to what extent. I think he resented the fact that his father was not a wizard, but he probably felt that his Slytherin ancestry compensated for his father. I think he went to such extremes to find and prove his ancestry because it may have been a matter of shame for him to not be pureblood.
However, I agree that he saw power as more important, and I imagine he saw the pureblood supremacists as a group he could use to gain power, as they already had the means and motives to kill and oppress, he just needed to give them the opportunity. He took advantage of a dangerous prejudice that was already there. Hence, his willingness to make an exception for Lily - power was more important to him than blood.

I think he was willing to make that exception because of Lily's talent. And also, as I said on the Lily thread, because she would make a very useful follower, if she were to join. Nobody would suspect her, the vehemently anti-Voldemort Muggleborn, as a spy. And, from Voldemort's perspective, she would know that she was there on sufferance, as a Muggleborn, so she would be very eager to impress and to be a successful, dedicated DE/unbranded follower.

Quote:
Having said that, I think that if Lily had joined Voldemort, he probably would not have given her the Dark Mark and made her an official DE. I suspect that if she joined, she might have had a similar status to Greyback, and been allowed to be an ally and work with the DEs, but not be given the Dark Mark nor attend high level meetings such as the one at the beginning of DH.
Perhaps. I'm undecided on this one, personally.

Quote:
I think Lily being so young was probably a factor in why she was targeted for conversion, since Voldemort may have thought that would make her more malleable.
Possibly. She was young, talented and someone he may have imagined would be loyal and hardworking out of gratitude.

Quote:
Voldemort just wasn't going to spare her unconditionally.
On the other hand, he did consider moving her aside, before then deciding it was more "prudent" to kill them all. I don't know if that was unconditional, unless he intended to just leave her there after killing her son.

Pic by julvett at deviantart http://julvett.deviantart.com/gallery/2984632
"Relationships are like glass; sometimes it's better to leave them broken than to hurt yourself trying to put them back together." Anonymous
"Like this one time I sort of ran over this girl on her bike. It was the most traumatising event of my life and she’s trying to make it about her leg. Like my pain meant nothing." - Cordelia; Buffy the Vampire Slayer S1Ep11.
Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > Harry Potter > The Stone > Legilimency Studies