Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > Forum Archives > Harry Potter Archives

Why is an Inferi so feared?

Old January 2nd, 2008, 6:19 pm
Second Year

Re: Why is an Inferi so feared?

Anyway, no-ones adressed my point. WIth the rise of games that feature the walking (or shambling. Or sprinting. Or leaping) undead amongst humans in the last 10 or so years (Half Life 2, Resident Evil, Doom, etc, etc) all fears that muggle-borns and muggles would have about the Inferi would be null and void. As they´re the ones that the Inferi are likely to be used against, it renders them pretty much moot.

Remember, men who see the world a little differently are viewed as insane. The Christians were. They still are.

Every group of people must go through some suffering. Americas is approaching fast.

Wand - Eucaplyptus and Living Steel core, Animagus - Dingo, Patronus - Tasmanian Tiger

Australian, and Damn proud.
Sponsored Links
Old January 2nd, 2008, 7:28 pm
Sixth Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by thewbacca View Post
Anyway, no-ones adressed my point. WIth the rise of games that feature the walking (or shambling. Or sprinting. Or leaping) undead amongst humans in the last 10 or so years (Half Life 2, Resident Evil, Doom, etc, etc) all fears that muggle-borns and muggles would have about the Inferi would be null and void. As they´re the ones that the Inferi are likely to be used against, it renders them pretty much moot.
So, I should not be scared at all if I were attacked by a walking, decaying corpse, because I'd fragged fifty of them the night before in Warcraft? It's not like an average muggle can pull out their shotgun or whatever and blast it away in real life, is it? Thus, I very much doubt that inferi would be useless against muggles or muggleborn. Re-animating the dead isn't exactly common practice in the magical world either.

Society for Protection of Canon Snape
Society of Nutters Obsessed with Ginny
Snape's Not Alan Rickman Club
Admitting I Could Be Wrong Club
Old January 2nd, 2008, 7:51 pm
Beauxbatons Champion

Quote:
I would disagree. A video game or movie cannot represent the true horror of seeing a real life corpse chasing after you, and doing a deadly powerful wizard's bidding. In fact, I think that perhaps having seen these kinds of things in video games and/or films could potentially have widened their imagination about what a Inferi could do to them, and therefore perhaps scare them more.

Writing Contest ~ CoS Graphics Contest ~ LoonyMagic's Icons ~ loonyabby_icons at LiveJournal
Old January 2nd, 2008, 8:14 pm
Defender of Dogs

Yeah, I'm agreeing with vivekgk and loonymagic. When people see horror movies about that, or play video games about that, you know it's not real. You know that when you turn on the lights after the movie, a dead body isn't going to come out and get you. People just aren't prepared for that type of thing to happen. Plus, in movies like that, the zombies are always destroyed and the hero lives. In games, if you die, you just try again. When that happens in real life, a Muggle wouldn't just say "Whatever, I know I'll survive eventually." There is no way, whether in a movie or a video game, to replace the fear that you would get if you really met a dead body. (Not that I'd know from personal experience, of course.)

Old January 2nd, 2008, 10:19 pm
Second Year

yes, but survival unstincts would not be entirely clueless. In such a situation, the traditional picture would be that they freeze, and are easy prey for the Inferi. If we factor what i said in, we can see how the victim in question would have a better idea of what to do. (i.e. shoot it in the joints so it can´t move).

And as for the shotgun, well, i´d assume that, if not every man and his dog, a fair few farmers would. The rest can grab heavy (or sharp) melee weapons.

Remember, men who see the world a little differently are viewed as insane. The Christians were. They still are.

Every group of people must go through some suffering. Americas is approaching fast.

Wand - Eucaplyptus and Living Steel core, Animagus - Dingo, Patronus - Tasmanian Tiger

Last edited by Chris; January 2nd, 2008 at 10:35 pm. Reason: ...
Old January 2nd, 2008, 10:58 pm
Defender of Dogs

But honestly, would shooting it in the joints do anything? These aren't video game creatures, remember. The only thing that can stop them is FIRE. Harry used Sectumsempra on them, and absolutely nothing happened. Muggles would be scared to move, let alone think of the last horror movie they saw. Even if they could, I doubt they would think to use fire on it. No, if a Muggle met an Inferi, they would be history. Sorry.

Old January 3rd, 2008, 12:50 am
Seventh Year

Quote:
yes, but survival unstincts would not be entirely clueless. In such a situation, the traditional picture would be that they freeze, and are easy prey for the Inferi. If we factor what i said in, we can see how the victim in question would have a better idea of what to do. (i.e. shoot it in the joints so it can´t move).

And as for the shotgun, well, i´d assume that, if not every man and his dog, a fair few farmers would. The rest can grab heavy (or sharp) melee weapons.
If video games could simulate true fear and the adrenaline of having to fight for your life, then I'd agree with you. However, no video game does that. The little scare you might get in the creepiest of video games simply doesn't compare to the very real, heart-in-mouth fear of a real life-and-death situation.

It sounds like you've seen and played a lot of video games involving this kind of stuff. Have you ever tried handling a real corpse? Ever seen a picture of a shotgun wound to the head? The number of anatomy students who walk out nauseated after their first human dissection (almost every one of them) tells it all. Now imagine, having to deal with half-rotting corpses that actually move and try to kill you.

The only people who could be relied on to actually fight the threat pro-actively would be well-disciplined infantry soldiers and hostage rescue police. A hand-grenade or several quick blasts with a 12 gauge shotgun might do the trick against one or two Inferi. Until they run out of ammo.

Last edited by Magi; January 3rd, 2008 at 12:52 am.
Old January 3rd, 2008, 12:55 am
WendyPotter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magi View Post
If video games could simulate true fear and the adrenaline of having to fight for your life, then I'd agree with you. However, no video game does that. The little scare you might get in the creepiest of video games simply doesn't compare to the very real, heart-in-mouth fear of a real life-and-death situation.

It sounds like you've seen and played a lot of video games involving this kind of stuff. Have you ever tried handling a real corpse? Ever seen a picture of a shotgun wound to the head? The number of anatomy students who walk out nauseated after their first human dissection (almost every one of them) tells it all. Now imagine, having to deal with half-rotting corpses that actually move and try to kill you.

The only people who could be relied on to actually fight the threat pro-actively would be well-disciplined infantry soldiers and hostage rescue police. A hand-grenade or several quick blasts with a 12 gauge shotgun might do the trick against one or two Inferi. Until they run out of ammo.
*shudders* That was very...descriptive of you. But yes, it is true. And knowing the fact that they are controled by a dark wizard that has made horcrux and in order to hide one...

~WendyPotter

Old January 3rd, 2008, 6:26 am
Eldest Gruff

While I see where you all coming from could we perhaps get the discussion closer to the series? Thanks!

Additionally please respect each other opinions. There's no need to ridiculous other members thoughts.

I don't want to live in a world
where the strong rules and the weak cower.
Harry Dresden.
Old January 3rd, 2008, 7:44 am
Second Year

There's a very big difference between shooting a corpse in a video game and shooting it in real life. As was brought up above me, would shooting it even do anything? When Harry tried to curse the Inferi, nothing happened. I don't think a gun would be of much help.

Personally, I think Inferi are feared because, to be blunt, a supposedly dead, rotting, grotesque corpse of a human body walking towards you in an army would be terrifying, IMO.

The Potter Mermaid. =]
Old January 3rd, 2008, 8:55 am
Second Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by xmermaidx View Post
There's a very big difference between shooting a corpse in a video game and shooting it in real life. As was brought up above me, would shooting it even do anything? When Harry tried to curse the Inferi, nothing happened. I don't think a gun would be of much help.
Yes, but what we have to recognize is that the Inferi do not have superpowers. They are the walking dead. They are corpses. The joints would be destroyed at the same levels that a humans would. If you shot a human in the shoulder socket with a shotgun at point-blank range, aside from the stray pellets going into their brain, their shoulder socket would be completely destroyed. I have no proof that the same would happen to an inferi, but from the way Dumbledore described them, I understood it to mean simply a walking corpse.

And as for the major gore vs. video game gore, out of interest, do Cannibal Corpse album covers count? do online pictures of autopsies count, including a guy who shaved with a piece of glass while high on pcp? Does Faces of Death count?

Old January 3rd, 2008, 9:03 am
Eldest Gruff

The topic still is Why is an Inferi feared, not how to shot it or video games in general. Thank you.

I don't want to live in a world
where the strong rules and the weak cower.
Harry Dresden.
Old January 3rd, 2008, 1:35 pm
Knower of things

I think that the reason the inferi were so feared is multifold

1)People fear death and the unknown (except for Dumbledore who described it as but the next great adventure). Having a dead body spring back to life is surely terrifying?

2)It is disrespectful to the dead to have their bodies "possessed" for want of a better word.

3)The Interi were seen as dark magic so who ever had created this army would be feared as they would have been magically very powerful.

Old January 4th, 2008, 8:12 am
Second Year

It remains that the only thing that would make them scary would be the symbology, which would be slightly unnerving. I can´t see any reason they would inspire such intense terror as they are alluded in the series.

Old January 4th, 2008, 8:42 pm
Fourth Year

I agree with Liselle I think it formost is the fact that there is a dead person coming down the road trying to kill you . There is also the desecration of the dead which makes me want to lose my dinner. For me I think it would be using the body of someone you love as an Inferus, can you imagine your beloved old granny trying to kill you, that I would fear most and I believe thats why LV used them. It is very difficult to attack a loved one even if you have to

No words can describe the beauty of Australia

avatar thanks to m_kelbell on photobucket
Old January 5th, 2008, 12:59 am
Sixth Year

I don't know about the rest of you guys, but I would be TERRIFIED if a corpse came walking toward me! Why are the Inferi feared? Because they are walking dead people! I guess they should be easy to defeat . . . but I would be pretty darn scared!

Old January 5th, 2008, 1:13 am
WendyPotter

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrangerHermione View Post
I don't know about the rest of you guys, but I would be TERRIFIED if a corpse came walking toward me! Why are the Inferi feared? Because they are walking dead people! I guess they should be easy to defeat . . . but I would be pretty darn scared!
Well, not so easy. Remember, it's DEAD, so if you shoot it, or cut it with a knife, it will just keep going and going. You'd have to make it impossible for them to walk, but then they would move with their hands! *shudders* Really, you'd have to break their bodies into pieces. I would be more scared if a thing that's already dead comes to kill me. I would rather it be a living thing. Then I could kill it and move away, screaming. Actually, I'd rather nothing come after me to kill me . I am no brave Gryffindor. I could escape, figure something out, but not fight with it unless it envolves a logical way to escape. You get scare because there is nothing you can do. Nothing hurts it. It's DEAD.

~WendyPotter

Old January 5th, 2008, 1:37 am
Sixth Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by WendyPotter View Post

Well, not so easy. Remember, it's DEAD, so if you shoot it, or cut it with a knife, it will just keep going and going. You'd have to make it impossible for them to walk, but then they would move with their hands! *shudders* Really, you'd have to break their bodies into pieces. I would be more scared if a thing that's already dead comes to kill me. I would rather it be a living thing. Then I could kill it and move away, screaming. Actually, I'd rather nothing come after me to kill me . I am no brave Gryffindor. I could escape, figure something out, but not fight with it unless it envolves a logical way to escape. You get scare because there is nothing you can do. Nothing hurts it. It's DEAD.

~WendyPotter
But can't you defeat it (or at least scare it away or buy time to escape) with fire???

And I agree. I would rather not have something come after me to kill me, too!

Old January 5th, 2008, 5:10 am
Seventh Year

I'm pretty sure that the response cycle for just about everyone would be:
1. "What on Earth is that?!"
2. "What do I do now?"
3. Option A: "Run!"; Option B: "Fight!"

The issue will probably be settled before their response reaches Step 3: ie. poor victim will become another corpse. Unfortunately after many millennia of predatory dominance, the human species' response to danger have become awfully slow. Paralysis by either fear or indecisiveness will seal the victim's fate.

If the person can reach Step 3 and keep a level head, they might be able to survive if they are resourceful enough and have enough will to survive.

Old January 5th, 2008, 3:46 pm
Sixth Year

But still, what about fire? Dumbledore told Harry in HBP to use fire. Harry forgot, but if you could remember, wouldn't it help . . . ?

Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > Forum Archives > Harry Potter Archives