Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > Harry Potter > The Stone

JKR's announcement on Ron/Hermione's relationship

Old February 28th, 2014, 6:57 pm
I gave String Theory to my Cat...

Re: JKR's announcement on Ron/Hermione's relationship

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrSleepyHead View Post
I don't think JKR's comments were particularly biased against Ron, but I think that is definitely the direction the debate took. The interview provided more fuel to character analyses rather than to shipping wars, as I see it, and I think that is understandable and the better focus since JKR cited "fundamental incompatibility" between Ron and Hermione. But, from my observation, it seems that Ron's character has taken more of the brunt of the 'blame' for that incompatibility - which is, perhaps, attributable to the positive focus on Hermione during the interview.
I see a lot of people cherry-picking the statement of "fundamental incompatibilities," but ignoring the statement that "they'll probably be fine."

There was a lot of that sort of wishy-washy, non-committal fence-sitting in this interview, which is why I feel that it is more incendiary than informative. When you actually break it down, JKR doesn't actually provide anything of substance other than, perhaps, a comment on her own feelings and motivations.

"The aim of argument, or of discussion, should not be victory, but progress."

"It is better to debate a question without settling it than to settle a question without debating it."
Joseph Joubert

"...He seeks to know himself and his fellow man rather than to know a god. An Atheist believes that a hospital should be built instead of a church. An Atheist believes that a deed must be done instead of a prayer said. An Atheist strives for involvement in life and not escape into death..." -Madalyn Murray
Sponsored Links
Old February 28th, 2014, 10:06 pm
Snidget of Champions

Quote:
Originally Posted by willfitz View Post
I see a lot of people cherry-picking the statement of "fundamental incompatibilities," but ignoring the statement that "they'll probably be fine."

There was a lot of that sort of wishy-washy, non-committal fence-sitting in this interview, which is why I feel that it is more incendiary than informative. When you actually break it down, JKR doesn't actually provide anything of substance other than, perhaps, a comment on her own feelings and motivations.
I agree with this, but I think the general focus of the interview is on the seemingly more committed idea of "fundamental incompatibilities" over the addendum of "they'll probably be fine." In which case, I think the stage is set more for debate on a joint character analysis (fundamental incompatibilities) rather than the logistics of how relationships should work (they'll probably be fine). Both are discussions that have occurred, but I think the interview's emphasis on foundational principles of the characters makes a joint character analysis a more appropriate discussion. And, of course, this reevaluation of characters can be and has been applied to compatibility and what if scenarios, but the marrow of the 'revelation' is just, to me, a fresh reason to look more deeply into Ron and Hermione's base personalities. And that investigation should be nonpartisan!

A Place to Gather Post-Closing: Please check out the unofficial CoS Students LiveJournal page to keep in touch with CoS members after the forums close: http://cos-students.livejournal.com
WalnutFirebolt138
Old March 1st, 2014, 9:08 pm
Sixth Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chelsie View Post
Harry didn't get Hermione tortured... It didnt make sense why after learning of the name jinx the trio didn't just call LV "Tom". Or why they didn't disapperate or stun their would-be-captors.
The trio got so many things wrong in DH that it bordered incompetence.

For example, the trio should never have been in a situation where they had to camp out in different parts of the country. Harry wanted to leave immediately after reaching the Burrow. Where to though? Surely the first thing you think about when planning to be on your own is to think about stay. He had no plans at all.

Food should also never have been a problem given that they could do magic. Even something as simple as figuring out how to open the locket shouldn't have taken so much time. Parseltongue should have been an immediate thought given Voldemort's connection with snakes and their experience with the Chamber of Secrets.

It seems to me that Jo was forced to dumb down the trio in order to setup certain plot devices.

Quote:
Personally, I would have had each of them have partners outside the trio circle.
Agreed though I don't really have an issue with how it worked out.

Quote:
I didn't mind the idea of R/hr until HBP. And although JKR probably didn't mean to, Ron came across as someone with serious problems with female sexuality. I found the R/hr reconciliation in the book unsatisfactory.. rather than poisoning Ron, he should have been trying to fix things, realizing the best way to get her is to treat her better.
I don't know about this. Hermione was the one who reacted badly to Ron and Lavender. I know Ron was cold-shouldering Hermione before that but I think they could have sorted it out if Hermione didn't have an issue with him being with Lavender.

Quote:
I also took issue with the whole 'Ron had to grow up for Hermione' because it just meant that Hermione had to put her love life on hold and not pursue other viable prospects. I like the idea of them dating several other people before coming together.
I took issue the other way. It read to me that Ron had to do things to be worthy of Hermione. I dislike this "reacher-settler" argument.

Quote:
I think if they were brought together more organically instead of the meanspirited, borderline(actual?) abusive trainwreck of HBP the ship would have less opposition, imo.

I guess that I am not a fan of predestined couples in books or films because it doesn't take into account the characters development, interactions with other prospects and eachother. Its like they can treat each other inappropriately, or they can have chemistry with other prospects, but it won't matter because they are destined anyway.
Perhaps they had time to sort out their issues after DH. 19 years later, they had an 11 year old kid. We could assume that they'd been married for 13-14 years which leaves them 5-6 years before marriage to fix stuff.

Its one of the reasons I'm skeptical of them needing marriage counselling. If they had married immediately after DH, I can understand but after 5-6 years more? IMO if they couldn't fix things by then, I don't think their marriage could have worked out.

Quote:
FYI, I don't think Ron is a bad guy, he does have some good qualities and he had potential, but his laziness, jealousy and self-pity wasn't attractive.. he sounded like a chore to be around at times. I mean, his friends shouldn't be made to feel guilty whenever something good happens for them or if they are writing to exes.
I don't think Ron was lazier than the average student. Harry was just as lazy.
I think his jealousy and self-pity would have vanished later in life after he found a career that he was happy with.

Quote:
I suppose despite being really talented and creating an amazing universe, JKR has her weakness: She can't write romance. lol
Yep. Not her strong suit.

Quote:
I know HP ISNT a romance series but thats all HBP seemed to be. Ithink it shoul have been placed firmly in the background.
Yes. I disliked that part of HBP and generally re-read the Harry-Dumbledore scenes.

Old March 3rd, 2014, 3:55 am
Seventh Year

Emma Watson in this interview at the Oscars saying she was disappointed how the interview with JKR was portrayed in the media as it was taken out of context

http://www.mtv.com/videos/movies/100...lanchett.jhtml

Old March 6th, 2014, 7:01 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by GingerCat1 View Post
Emma Watson in this interview at the Oscars saying she was disappointed how the interview with JKR was portrayed in the media as it was taken out of context

http://www.mtv.com/videos/movies/100...lanchett.jhtml
This link is only valid in the US, unfortunately. I found Watson's statements elsewhere, though, and completely agree.

"It is better to debate a question without settling it than to settle a question without debating it."
Joseph Joubert

"...He seeks to know himself and his fellow man rather than to know a god. An Atheist believes that a hospital should be built instead of a church. An Atheist believes that a deed must be done instead of a prayer said. An Atheist strives for involvement in life and not escape into death..." -Madalyn Murray
Old March 7th, 2014, 4:57 am
Sixth Year

It was sort of obvious (to me) that the interview had been taken out of context and once the whole thing was published we'd all be a little wiser for it.

Old March 7th, 2014, 6:18 am
Secret Chocolate Keeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by willfitz View Post
This link is only valid in the US, unfortunately. I found Watson's statements elsewhere, though, and completely agree.
I'm surprised. I'm in Japan and it worked fine for me.

Old March 7th, 2014, 4:55 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSJ_Jup81 View Post
I'm surprised. I'm in Japan and it worked fine for me.
Perhaps it would be more correct to say that the video is unavailable in Canada, barring some kind of nefarious scheme.

Joseph Joubert

Old March 12th, 2014, 1:31 am
The Forums Red Hypergiant Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfbrother View Post
The trio got so many things wrong in DH that it bordered incompetence.
I'm not sure I'd have believed anything else. I'm not usually given to asserting cosmic truths, but we're all morons sometimes, and especially when it matters.

Old January 13th, 2017, 7:23 pm
Fourth Year

More thread necromancy...

Quote:
Originally Posted by canismajoris View Post
I'm not sure I'd have believed anything else. I'm not usually given to asserting cosmic truths, but we're all morons sometimes, and especially when it matters.
I'm not sure exactly what this means, but if you intend to say that the trio making poor choices at various times in DH is believable, then I agree. I didn't find that to stretch credulity at all. They're 17, after all.

Cornets acoustiques et de glace!

Pottermore Beta Tester, First Batch (2011-08-15)
ChaserQuaffle211
Ravenclaw (about what I expected)
14-1/2 inches, redwood with phoenix feather core, brittle
Russian blue cat
Old April 2nd, 2017, 6:51 pm
Curse Breaker

"They'll probably be fine" seems to be the lasting takeaway. One of the big takeaways from Cursed Child (and wasn't that published after this interview?) was the fundamental and essential nature of Ron and Hermione's relationship? I don't buy that 100% and have a hard time seeing the play as canon, but we've agreed to do so, have we not?

No worries. No spoilers here.
Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > Harry Potter > The Stone