Login  
 
 
Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > Harry Potter > The Stone

JKR's announcement on Ron/Hermione's relationship



Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #241  
Old February 19th, 2014, 3:09 pm
Pearl_Took's Avatar
Pearl_Took  Female.gif Pearl_Took is offline
Zonko's Employee
 
Joined: 3648 days
Location: The Shire
Posts: 3,634
Re: JKR's announcement on Ron/Hermione's relationship

Quote:
Originally Posted by GingerCat1 View Post
The weird thing is that despite having years to think about it JKR hasn't really considered how Hermione being a self insert affected the trios dynamic and how because Hermione couldn't do anything wrong it did affect things negatively. It is really really hard to find quotes from JKR where she properly criticises either Hermione or Harry but you can find a tonne where she criticises Ron since Ron was not the hero that JKR wanted everyone to love and he wasn't a self insert either.
And I think all of that is balanced out by Hermione being a strong female character in a male-dominated series.

It's also, IMO, balanced out by the fact that we know more about Ron's emotional background than we ever do about Hermione's.

And, honestly, what does it matter if Ron is not the main guy that JKR 'wanted everyone to love'? Yes, her opinions on her own characters are interesting, but why should they influence you that much? It is your interaction with Ron as a character that shapes your reading experience.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSJ_Jup81 View Post
I couldn't imagine the Godric's Hollow stuff without her.
Absolutely.


__________________

Last edited by Pearl_Took; February 19th, 2014 at 3:12 pm.
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
  #242  
Old February 19th, 2014, 3:33 pm
MrSleepyHead's Avatar
MrSleepyHead  Male.gif MrSleepyHead is offline
Snidget of Champions
 
Joined: 4533 days
Location: Hoggy Warty Hogwarts
Posts: 3,145
Re: JKR's announcement on Ron/Hermione's relationship

I've never quite understood the premise behind discussing the logic of the relationships in the books. Before the relationships were revealed, I could understand: users debated about examples from the text that supported certain couples - much like users debated the Snape: Good or Evil subject. But now that the relationships are cemented in the canon, it seems unproductive to consider the 'natural fit' or realism of them. To me, relationships are so much more complex than logic: just because two people seem to be built for each other (or appear to be polar opposites and unhealthy together) does not make it unrealistic. Rather, the relationships seem more lifelike. Thus, JKR's and others' comments purely state opinions on that person's interpretation of the relationship. But it seems more akin to gossip than to scholarly discussion, to me: much like if my friends were talking amongst themselves about how 'good' my relationship is. Each person is entitled to his/her opinion, but at the end of the day it is an opinion: there is no progress in the discussion because the relationship either works or doesn't work in the eyes of the two individuals involved, whether logical, natural, unhealthy, or otherwise.

Now, I certainly agree that we can discuss the health and success of the relationships in the stories, but I think it is important to realize that there is minimal objectivity involved and what one person sees as unhealthy, another may perceive as areas to grow. But these analyses do not change the canon, and I think the resurgence of the 'shipping wars' has been created largely out of hype and wishful thinking.


__________________


A Place to Gather Post-Closing: Please check out the unofficial CoS Students LiveJournal page to keep in touch with CoS members after the forums close: http://cos-students.livejournal.com
WalnutFirebolt138
Reply With Quote
  #243  
Old February 19th, 2014, 4:25 pm
Chelsie  Undisclosed.gif Chelsie is offline
First Year
 
Joined: 2278 days
Posts: 44
Re: JKR's announcement on Ron/Hermione's relationship

I think that the relationship was read its last rites in HBP and was dead and buried in DH. After hearing of the Krum kiss, Ron treated her hideously and his showboating with Lavender was a ploy to crush Hermione - and he practically did.
I mean this is one of his close friends and he is treating her like that? Keep in mind her crime was kissing Krum and nothing else.

The problem is Ron never actually learns to treat her properly, instead he resorts to stealing lines and tips from a book. In DH, he is still possessive, inconsiderate as ever and expects her to chose between him and Harry.

I understand that he was worried about his family, but his family wasn't the only one in danger, and he wasn't the only one worried for their safety. Sure, Hermione's family were in Australia but she made a huge and painful sacrifice and for him to throw that at her just showed the type of character Ron was.

I think the abandonment and the ultimatum would kill development of the relationship dead if the antics of HBP hadn't.

R/hr could have been cute had she sped things along but the antics in HBP put the kaboosh on that, imo. It was a mistake for JKR to stubbornly cling onto her original ideas.


Reply With Quote
  #244  
Old February 19th, 2014, 5:32 pm
ShadowSonic  Male.gif ShadowSonic is offline
Sixth Year
 
Joined: 2374 days
Location: Regina, SK, Canada
Posts: 1,224
Re: JKR's announcement on Ron/Hermione's relationship

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chelsie View Post
I think that the relationship was read its last rites in HBP and was dead and buried in DH. After hearing of the Krum kiss, Ron treated her hideously and his showboating with Lavender was a ploy to crush Hermione - and he practically did.
You're just accepting that as in-character behavior. It really wasn't.

Quote:
The problem is Ron never actually learns to treat her properly, instead he resorts to stealing lines and tips from a book. In DH, he is still possessive, inconsiderate as ever and expects her to chose between him and Harry.
Again, inconsistent characterization. Mainly because if he DID act as mature as he should've been by then, he couldn't be used as a source of internal conflict anymore.

Quote:
I understand that he was worried about his family, but his family wasn't the only one in danger, and he wasn't the only one worried for their safety.
They were in more danger than the Grangers'.

Quote:
R/hr could have been cute had she sped things along but the antics in HBP put the kaboosh on that, imo. It was a mistake for JKR to stubbornly cling onto her original ideas.
It would have worked better if Rowling had given Ron more to do than just be Harry's unappreciated friend.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pearl_Took View Post
And I think all of that is balanced out by Hermione being a strong female character in a male-dominated series.
Actually, I think having only ONE major female character in a mostly male series is never a good idea.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pearl_Took
I wouldn't put either Harry or Hermione in that category ...
Actually, I do think Harry was asking for it by then.


Reply With Quote
  #245  
Old February 19th, 2014, 7:15 pm
GingerCat1  Undisclosed.gif GingerCat1 is offline
Seventh Year
 
Joined: 2811 days
Posts: 1,656
Re: JKR's announcement on Ron/Hermione's relationship

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chelsie View Post
I think that the relationship was read its last rites in HBP and was dead and buried in DH. After hearing of the Krum kiss, Ron treated her hideously and his showboating with Lavender was a ploy to crush Hermione - and he practically did.
I mean this is one of his close friends and he is treating her like that? Keep in mind her crime was kissing Krum and nothing else.
Ron wasn't trying to crush Hermione and if you remember when Ron kissed someone else Hermione actually attacked him. Ron never ever hurt Hermione physically. In fact in some ways Ron's reaction to learning of Hermione's kiss with Krum was more mature than Hermione when she learnt Ron kissed Lavender. At least Ron didn't physically assault anyone.


Reply With Quote
  #246  
Old February 19th, 2014, 8:46 pm
Sereena's Avatar
Sereena  Female.gif Sereena is offline
Fourth Year
 
Joined: 2104 days
Age: 31
Posts: 597
Re: JKR's announcement on Ron/Hermione's relationship

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrSleepyHead View Post
I've never quite understood the premise behind discussing the logic of the relationships in the books. Before the relationships were revealed, I could understand: users debated about examples from the text that supported certain couples - much like users debated the Snape: Good or Evil subject. But now that the relationships are cemented in the canon, it seems unproductive to consider the 'natural fit' or realism of them. To me, relationships are so much more complex than logic: just because two people seem to be built for each other (or appear to be polar opposites and unhealthy together) does not make it unrealistic. Rather, the relationships seem more lifelike. Thus, JKR's and others' comments purely state opinions on that person's interpretation of the relationship. But it seems more akin to gossip than to scholarly discussion, to me: much like if my friends were talking amongst themselves about how 'good' my relationship is. Each person is entitled to his/her opinion, but at the end of the day it is an opinion: there is no progress in the discussion because the relationship either works or doesn't work in the eyes of the two individuals involved, whether logical, natural, unhealthy, or otherwise.
I would agree that what makes a good relationship or a good couple is very subjective but I don't necessarily agree that we cannot judge how a relationship is written or whether or not the two people are compatible. You know that saying, "real life doesn't have to make sense but fiction does"? In real life, your nemesis might get sick and die before you confront them but in a literary text that's hardly satisfying. I agree that in real life many seemingly "bad" couples actually make it and have lasting relationships, but in books the author has to convice the readers that two characters are a good fit and that there isn't some other character in the book that might be a better fit. So to many people, H/G and Hr/R are not convincing, for whatever reason, or maybe they think these ships are badly written even if the couples could work in theory. Others might feel Hr/H is unconvincing. So yeah, the standards you're applying will be very subjective but that doesn't mean you can't discuss how well an author has gotten across her/his vision of the relationships.

Quote:
But these analyses do not change the canon, and I think the resurgence of the 'shipping wars' has been created largely out of hype and wishful thinking.
Well, no analysis will actually change canon itself but they might change how people view canon. If someone manages to convince someone else that a ship is badly written or well written for that matter, then that changes that person's perspective. I'm not sure what you mean by it being created by wishful thinking- on whose part?


Reply With Quote
  #247  
Old February 20th, 2014, 2:59 am
willfitz's Avatar
willfitz  Male.gif willfitz is offline
I gave String Theory to my Cat...
 
Joined: 3208 days
Location: Victoria, BC
Age: 26
Posts: 3,476
Re: JKR's announcement on Ron/Hermione's relationship

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sereena View Post
I would agree that what makes a good relationship or a good couple is very subjective but I don't necessarily agree that we cannot judge how a relationship is written or whether or not the two people are compatible. You know that saying, "real life doesn't have to make sense but fiction does"? In real life, your nemesis might get sick and die before you confront them but in a literary text that's hardly satisfying. I agree that in real life many seemingly "bad" couples actually make it and have lasting relationships, but in books the author has to convice the readers that two characters are a good fit and that there isn't some other character in the book that might be a better fit. So to many people, H/G and Hr/R are not convincing, for whatever reason, or maybe they think these ships are badly written even if the couples could work in theory. Others might feel Hr/H is unconvincing. So yeah, the standards you're applying will be very subjective but that doesn't mean you can't discuss how well an author has gotten across her/his vision of the relationships.
Even then, you can't escape the fact that putting down a sort of rubric for 'good writing,' such as in your case writing which is satisfying for you as a reader, is inherently subjective. Not all writing is meant to be satisfying, and not everyone is satisfied by the same writing. It seems like once this is recognized, statements of "it was bad writing because..." ought to be changed to "I didn't like it because..." and once that happens, convincing someone of something carries very little meaning at all.


__________________


"The aim of argument, or of discussion, should not be victory, but progress."

"It is better to debate a question without settling it than to settle a question without debating it."
Joseph Joubert

"...He seeks to know himself and his fellow man rather than to know a god. An Atheist believes that a hospital should be built instead of a church. An Atheist believes that a deed must be done instead of a prayer said. An Atheist strives for involvement in life and not escape into death..." -Madalyn Murray
Reply With Quote
  #248  
Old February 20th, 2014, 3:07 am
Sereena's Avatar
Sereena  Female.gif Sereena is offline
Fourth Year
 
Joined: 2104 days
Age: 31
Posts: 597
Re: JKR's announcement on Ron/Hermione's relationship

Quote:
Originally Posted by willfitz View Post
Even then, you can't escape the fact that putting down a sort of rubric for 'good writing,' such as in your case writing which is satisfying for you as a reader, is inherently subjective. Not all writing is meant to be satisfying, and not everyone is satisfied by the same writing. It seems like once this is recognized, statements of "it was bad writing because..." ought to be changed to "I didn't like it because..." and once that happens, convincing someone of something carries very little meaning at all.
Well yeah, everything we discuss here is pretty much subjective, but the point is that it doesn't mean we cannot assess how relationships were written just because in real life love is illogical. That was my point. Discussing ships is not more subjective than discussing any other aspect of these books.

I'm not sure what you mean by "not all writing is meant to be satisfying". I think authors do hope that as many readers as possible see their writing as satisfying. It's not like any author is aiming for their books to be disliked.


Reply With Quote
  #249  
Old February 20th, 2014, 3:12 am
DeliciousMoon's Avatar
DeliciousMoon  Female.gif DeliciousMoon is offline
Fifth Year
 
Joined: 3568 days
Location: Canada
Posts: 928
Re: JKR's announcement on Ron/Hermione's relationship

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrSleepyHead View Post
I've never quite understood the premise behind discussing the logic of the relationships in the books. Before the relationships were revealed, I could understand: users debated about examples from the text that supported certain couples - much like users debated the Snape: Good or Evil subject. But now that the relationships are cemented in the canon, it seems unproductive to consider the 'natural fit' or realism of them.
Well, even the author put in her new input, so why on earth not? It's fun! Sure it may not be productive, but you can argue that for any literary analysis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadowSonic View Post
You're just accepting that as in-character behavior. It really wasn't.
Ron tends to get nasty when he's jealous. He did it before with Krum and then after with Harry (locket enhanced, but still).

Quote:
Originally Posted by GingerCat1 View Post
Ron wasn't trying to crush Hermione and if you remember when Ron kissed someone else Hermione actually attacked him. Ron never ever hurt Hermione physically. In fact in some ways Ron's reaction to learning of Hermione's kiss with Krum was more mature than Hermione when she learnt Ron kissed Lavender. At least Ron didn't physically assault anyone.
Yeah, Hermione was awful at times too. I wish JKR had condoned her behaviour for this before she got together with Ron. Physical assault in a relationship is no joke and it's dangerous to brush it off as if it was nothing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sereena View Post
I would agree that what makes a good relationship or a good couple is very subjective but I don't necessarily agree that we cannot judge how a relationship is written or whether or not the two people are compatible. You know that saying, "real life doesn't have to make sense but fiction does"? In real life, your nemesis might get sick and die before you confront them but in a literary text that's hardly satisfying. I agree that in real life many seemingly "bad" couples actually make it and have lasting relationships, but in books the author has to convice the readers that two characters are a good fit and that there isn't some other character in the book that might be a better fit. So to many people, H/G and Hr/R are not convincing, for whatever reason, or maybe they think these ships are badly written even if the couples could work in theory. Others might feel Hr/H is unconvincing. So yeah, the standards you're applying will be very subjective but that doesn't mean you can't discuss how well an author has gotten across her/his vision of the relationships.
I'm still honestly wondering where all of these "couples that don't make sense" are in real life, but anyways, yeah, if you're going to write a couple in a book, how you want it to come across is important, which means you have to think about things like how convincing it is, is it supposed to be portrayed as healthy/toxic, do you want the readers to like it/hate it, etc.


__________________
Reply With Quote
  #250  
Old February 20th, 2014, 5:06 am
willfitz's Avatar
willfitz  Male.gif willfitz is offline
I gave String Theory to my Cat...
 
Joined: 3208 days
Location: Victoria, BC
Age: 26
Posts: 3,476
Re: JKR's announcement on Ron/Hermione's relationship

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sereena View Post
Well yeah, everything we discuss here is pretty much subjective, but the point is that it doesn't mean we cannot assess how relationships were written just because in real life love is illogical. That was my point. Discussing ships is not more subjective than discussing any other aspect of these books.
Some people want realism. Is there anything more realistic than unpredictability?

Quote:
I'm not sure what you mean by "not all writing is meant to be satisfying". I think authors do hope that as many readers as possible see their writing as satisfying. It's not like any author is aiming for their books to be disliked.
Ah, well perhaps I used the wrong word here. What I meant to get at is that not all writing is meant to be comfortable. Everyone does endeavour to be satisfied, of course, by a book they are reading, but not everyone will be satisfied by the same type of writing.


__________________


"The aim of argument, or of discussion, should not be victory, but progress."

"It is better to debate a question without settling it than to settle a question without debating it."
Joseph Joubert

"...He seeks to know himself and his fellow man rather than to know a god. An Atheist believes that a hospital should be built instead of a church. An Atheist believes that a deed must be done instead of a prayer said. An Atheist strives for involvement in life and not escape into death..." -Madalyn Murray
Reply With Quote
  #251  
Old February 20th, 2014, 5:07 am
ShadowSonic  Male.gif ShadowSonic is offline
Sixth Year
 
Joined: 2374 days
Location: Regina, SK, Canada
Posts: 1,224
Re: JKR's announcement on Ron/Hermione's relationship

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeliciousMoon View Post
Ron tends to get nasty when he's jealous. He did it before with Krum and then after with Harry (locket enhanced, but still).
Well, his behavior in GOF didn't really match up with his prior characterization either.

Quote:
Yeah, Hermione was awful at times too. I wish JKR had condoned her behaviour for this before she got together with Ron. Physical assault in a relationship is no joke and it's dangerous to brush it off as if it was nothing.
Hermione showed she was a way more abusive person than Ron, IMO.


Reply With Quote
  #252  
Old February 20th, 2014, 5:24 am
Sereena's Avatar
Sereena  Female.gif Sereena is offline
Fourth Year
 
Joined: 2104 days
Age: 31
Posts: 597
Re: JKR's announcement on Ron/Hermione's relationship

Quote:
Originally Posted by willfitz View Post
Some people want realism. Is there anything more realistic than unpredictability?
I don't think that many people want excessive realism in fiction. Sure, you wouldn't want something to be completely disconnected from reality but as in my previous example, I don't think too many readers would have been happy if Harry had just happened to be run over by a car before he had a chance to confront Voldemort.

And besides, some people's desire for realism does not mean that realism is always the best idea for fiction or that others can't argue that something doesn't make sense. Yes, love in real life is completely irrational (well not completely but let's say sort of) but that doesn't mean that authors don't have to put any work into creating convincing pairings. I'm not saying these pairings aren't convincing, just that some people might see issues in some of the relationships and those issues cannot be explained away by saying, "well in real life such a couple might work".


Reply With Quote
  #253  
Old February 20th, 2014, 7:32 am
willfitz's Avatar
willfitz  Male.gif willfitz is offline
I gave String Theory to my Cat...
 
Joined: 3208 days
Location: Victoria, BC
Age: 26
Posts: 3,476
Re: JKR's announcement on Ron/Hermione's relationship

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sereena View Post
I don't think that many people want excessive realism in fiction. Sure, you wouldn't want something to be completely disconnected from reality but as in my previous example, I don't think too many readers would have been happy if Harry had just happened to be run over by a car before he had a chance to confront Voldemort.

And besides, some people's desire for realism does not mean that realism is always the best idea for fiction or that others can't argue that something doesn't make sense. Yes, love in real life is completely irrational (well not completely but let's say sort of) but that doesn't mean that authors don't have to put any work into creating convincing pairings. I'm not saying these pairings aren't convincing, just that some people might see issues in some of the relationships and those issues cannot be explained away by saying, "well in real life such a couple might work".
If your argument for a relationship "making sense" is not from realism, then I don't know what it could be from! I don't think it's justified to say that love in life is totally unpredictable as a general statement. To the two people involved, it often seems like the most natural and inevitable outcome possible. The reason why we scratch our heads looking around at people who get together around us is because, well, we are all so markedly different.

And just as we are different on that level, we are different as readers. My understanding is that you don't believe that the Hermione/Ron relationship made sense, which means that you didn't find the motivations and reactions of the characters to be believable. Correct me if I'm wrong. This really boils down to the fact that those actions were not relatable to you. However, this is exactly where the subjectivity comes in, because if people view others so differently in a romantic sense in real life, why would we expect it to be different in reading books? It seems that you're suggesting that despite the remarkable differences in the way we view others in the real world, when we read a character in a book, we should all have the exact same idea of what is and isn't attractive, and what is the right and wrong way to treat a person.

My point here is that the fact that everyone sees romance so differently means that while you may not be able to relate to the interactions which led to the Hermione/Ron couple, it is entirely reasonable (in fact, it is basically assured) that a good portion of readers will.


__________________


"The aim of argument, or of discussion, should not be victory, but progress."

"It is better to debate a question without settling it than to settle a question without debating it."
Joseph Joubert

"...He seeks to know himself and his fellow man rather than to know a god. An Atheist believes that a hospital should be built instead of a church. An Atheist believes that a deed must be done instead of a prayer said. An Atheist strives for involvement in life and not escape into death..." -Madalyn Murray

Last edited by willfitz; February 20th, 2014 at 7:35 am.
Reply With Quote
  #254  
Old February 20th, 2014, 10:29 am
Yoana's Avatar
Yoana  Female.gif Yoana is offline
Assistant to Minister Granger
 
Joined: 4317 days
Location: Bulgaria
Age: 35
Posts: 6,428
Re: JKR's announcement on Ron/Hermione's relationship

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeliciousMoon View Post
I would also find it very hard to deal with a partner doing something like that. I get the development JKR was trying to do with Ron there, but getting over an abandonment like that takes a very very strong person. And it's completely fair to give up on a relationship where that has happened as well. To me, the relationship felt pretty forced after this moment.
He couldn't take the pressure of hiding from a homicidal maniac amidst a war while not knowing whether his family were dead or alive. It's not like he decided he didn't want to be bothered with his friends in the ordinary course of life. I really don't think this is grounds for ending a friendship, especially when he came back and owned it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadowSonic View Post
Well, his behavior in GOF didn't really match up with his prior characterization either.
Yeah, I remember his storyline in GoF bothered me even when I was first reading the book and hadn't so much as set eyes on an internet discussion yet (I'm really old in internet years). It rang so false to me. But that's probably better suited to the Ron's character analysis thread, if you want to talk about it some more.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sereena View Post
I don't think that many people want excessive realism in fiction. Sure, you wouldn't want something to be completely disconnected from reality but as in my previous example, I don't think too many readers would have been happy if Harry had just happened to be run over by a car before he had a chance to confront Voldemort.
I would have loved that. Then again, my most favourite literary genre is absurdism, so...



Last edited by Yoana; February 20th, 2014 at 10:42 am.
Reply With Quote
  #255  
Old February 20th, 2014, 12:06 pm
GingerCat1  Undisclosed.gif GingerCat1 is offline
Seventh Year
 
Joined: 2811 days
Posts: 1,656
Re: JKR's announcement on Ron/Hermione's relationship

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeliciousMoon View Post
Yeah, Hermione was awful at times too. I wish JKR had condoned her behaviour for this before she got together with Ron. Physical assault in a relationship is no joke and it's dangerous to brush it off as if it was nothing.
It isn't just that. Hermione sometimes does do the wrong thing but it is either glossed over or painted as a good thing. Take her capturing and holding Rita Skeeter prisoner. Now Skeeter was a horrible woman but what Hermione did to her was actually worse and yet it is still painted as a good thing in the books.

Also look at Harry. He cops no criticism for using a torture curse and enjoying it even though there is something very disturbing about it. Or the fact that because he thought he knew better he didn't listen to Dumbledore about blocking Voldemort from him and as a result Voldemort was able to manipulate Harry and get Sirius killed. Or the fact that it was Harry's stupidity that got Hermione tortured. Can you imagine how the fan base would have reacted if it was Ron that got Hermione tortured?

In the books when Ron makes a mistake his mistakes are fully punished by the author and the readers but Harry's and Hermione's mistakes are essentially ignored.


Reply With Quote
  #256  
Old February 20th, 2014, 12:49 pm
Chelsie  Undisclosed.gif Chelsie is offline
First Year
 
Joined: 2278 days
Posts: 44
Re: JKR's announcement on Ron/Hermione's relationship

I can't condone Hemione siccing animals on to Ron but she doesn't do it because he kissed someone else, but because of his behavior towards her.

Quote:
Ron for the real one, who was not only cold-shouldering Ginny and Dean, but also treating a hurt and bewildered Hermione with an icy, sneering indifference
She was humiliated later in the common room by Ron but removes herself from the situation. It was the last straw when he followed her and Harry into the empty room. I think he showed her a shocking lack of respect. Even Harry was mortified.

In HBP JKR did a severe disservice to Hermione's character tbh. Her behaviour did not seem to go anywhere.. her storyline was Ron. I'm really d

I don't think Hermione should be with someone with such low esteem and jealousy issues, and Ron shouldn't be with someone who makes him feel inadequate and siccs animals onto him. What happens when Hermione gets close to or compliments another guy? Or when Ron angers Hermione again?

JKR never showed WHY they like each other.. in fact, it seems to be based on physical appearance. HBP showed they shouldn't even have been friends let alone LI.

Look at how Hermione reacts when she sees Krum, then look at her reactions to Krum.

Hermione was injured because of Rita Skeeters lies, so Rita got her just deserts there. I think JKR should have had Hermione keep Rita in for waaaay longer.


Reply With Quote
  #257  
Old February 20th, 2014, 1:04 pm
GingerCat1  Undisclosed.gif GingerCat1 is offline
Seventh Year
 
Joined: 2811 days
Posts: 1,656
Re: JKR's announcement on Ron/Hermione's relationship

You do know you are victim blaming don't you? It doesn't matter what you think Ron did. He was the victim in Hermione's attack. I wonder if you would defend Ron if the roles were reversed. I suspect not.

Also would you rather have someone lie about you or lock you up in their basement for days or weeks on end? What Hermione did was way worse than what Rita did.


Reply With Quote
  #258  
Old February 20th, 2014, 2:03 pm
Chelsie  Undisclosed.gif Chelsie is offline
First Year
 
Joined: 2278 days
Posts: 44
Re: JKR's announcement on Ron/Hermione's relationship

Also, H/Hr's victims tend to be external, whereas Ron's victims are his friends and his siblings. And, in the book Ron's indiscretions are brushed aside with convenient incidences: poisoned and Harry drowning. Harry is far too grateful to be alive to be angry, and Hermione is far too guilt tripped to remain angry. Both incidents are not only forgotten, but it doesn't change the dynamic in the trio as both trust him. Both Harry and Hermione should be wary after Ron's behaviour in HBP and DH.

Like I've said I don't condone Hermione's physical attacks in HBP or DH, but it does not negate the fact that Ron was so remarkably jealous of a 2 year old Krum kiss treated Hermione hideously. They simply bring out the worst in each other
Then there was Lavender who was treated appallingly as well.


Reply With Quote
  #259  
Old February 20th, 2014, 3:29 pm
ShadowSonic  Male.gif ShadowSonic is offline
Sixth Year
 
Joined: 2374 days
Location: Regina, SK, Canada
Posts: 1,224
Re: JKR's announcement on Ron/Hermione's relationship

And like I said, Ron's behavior in both GOF and HBP didn't really make a lot of sense to begin with. It wasn't normal character growth, it was more like character derailment for sake of plot.


Reply With Quote
  #260  
Old February 20th, 2014, 3:40 pm
purplehawk's Avatar
purplehawk  Female.gif purplehawk is offline
Renegade
 
Joined: 5236 days
Location: Buckeye Country
Age: 68
Posts: 28,438
Re: JKR's announcement on Ron/Hermione's relationship

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadowSonic View Post
And like I said, Ron's behavior in both GOF and HBP didn't really make a lot of sense to begin with. It wasn't normal character growth, it was more like character derailment for sake of plot.
Oh, I think it was perfectly normal. And that's the beauty of Ron, IMO, the fact that he's the most normal of the three.


__________________



"A great democracy does not make it harder to vote than to buy an assault weapon."

~ President Bill Clinton ~
August 28, 2013
50th Anniversary of "I Have a Dream"


All opinions expressed are my own and do not reflect those of any political or government body.
Reply With Quote
Reply
Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > Harry Potter > The Stone

Bookmarks


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 2:53 am.


Powered by: vBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Original content is Copyright MMII - MMVIII, CoSForums.com. All Rights Reserved.
Other content (posts, images, etc) is Copyright its respective owners.