Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > Harry Potter > The Stone

JKR's announcement on Ron/Hermione's relationship

Old February 7th, 2014, 10:46 am
Seventh Year

Re: JKR's announcement on Ron/Hermione's relationship

Here it is

Watson: I thought we should discuss Hermione… I’m sure you’ve heard this a million times but now that you have written the books, do you have a new perspective on how you relate to Hermione and the relationship you have with her or had with her?

Rowling: I know that Hermione is incredibly recognizable to a lot of readers and yet you don’t see a lot of Hermiones in film or on TV except to be laughed at. I mean that the intense, clever, in some ways not terribly self-aware, girl is rarely the heroine and I really wanted her to be the heroine. She is part of me, although she is not wholly me. I think that is how I might have appeared to people when I was younger, but that is not really how I was inside.

What I will say is that I wrote the Hermione/Ron relationship as a form of wish fulfillment. That’s how it was conceived, really. For reasons that have very little to do with literature and far more to do with me clinging to the plot as I first imagined it, Hermione with Ron.

Watson: Ah.

Rowling: I know, I’m sorry, I can hear the rage and fury it might cause some fans, but if I’m absolutely honest, distance has given me perspective on that. It was a choice I made for very personal reasons, not for reasons of credibility. Am I breaking people’s hearts by saying this? I hope not.

Watson: I don’t know. I think there are fans out there who know that too and who wonder whether Ron would have really been able to make her happy.

Rowling: Yes exactly.

Watson: And vice versa.

Rowling: It was a young relationship. I think the attraction itself is plausible but the combative side of it… I’m not sure you could have got over that in an adult relationship, there was too much fundamental incompatibility. I can’t believe we are saying all of this – this is Potter heresy!

In some ways Hermione and Harry are a better fit, and I’ll tell you something very strange. When I wrote Hallows, I felt this quite strongly when I had Hermione and Harry together in the tent! I hadn’t told [Steven] Kloves that and when he wrote the script he felt exactly the same thing at exactly the same point.

Watson: This is just so interesting because when I was doing the scene, I said to David [Heyman]: “This isn’t in the book, she didn’t write this.” I’m not sure I am comfortable insinuating something however subtle it is!

Rowling: Yes, but David and Steve – they felt what I felt when writing it.

Watson: That is so strange.

Rowling: And actually I liked that scene in the film, because it was articulating something I hadn’t said but I had felt. I really liked it and I thought that it was right. I think you do feel the ghost of what could have been in that scene.

Watson: It’s a really haunting scene. It is funny because it really divided people. Some people loved that scene and some people really didn’t.

Rowling:
Yes, some people utterly hated it. But that is true of so many really good scenes in books and films; they evoke that strong positive/negative feeling. I was fine with it, I liked it.

Watson: I remember really loving shooting those scenes that don’t have any dialogue, where you are just kind of trying to express a moment in time and a feeling without saying anything. It was just Dan and I spontaneously sort of trying to convey an idea and it was really fun.

Rowling: And you got it perfectly, you got perfectly the sort of mixture of awkwardness and genuine emotion, because it teeters on the edge of “What are we doing? Oh come on let’s do it anyway,” which I thought was just right for that time.

Watson: I think it was just the sense that in the moment they needed to be together and be kids and raise each others morale.

Rowling: That is just it, you are so right. All this says something very powerful about the character of Hermione as well. Hermione was the one that stuck with Harry all the way through that last installment, that very last part of the adventure. It wasn’t Ron, which also says something very powerful about Ron. He was injured in a way, in his self-esteem, from the start of the series. He always knew he came second to fourth best, and then he had to make friends with the hero of it all and that’s a hell of a position to be in, eternally overshadowed. So Ron had to act out in that way at some point.

But Hermione’s always there for Harry. I remember you sent me a note after you read Hallows and before you starting shooting, and said something about that, because it was Hermione’s journey as much as Harry’s at the end.

Watson: I completely agree and the fact that they were true equals and the fact that she really said goodbye to her family makes it her sacrifice too.

Rowling: Yes, her sacrifice was massive, completely. A very calculated act of bravery. That is not an “in the moment” act of bravery where emotion carries you through, that is a deliberate choice.

Watson: Exactly.

Rowling: I love Hermione.

Watson: I love her too.

Rowling: Oh, maybe she and Ron will be alright with a bit of counseling, you know. I wonder what happens at wizard marriage counseling? They’ll probably be fine. He needs to works on his self-esteem issues and she needs to work on being a little less critical.

Watson: I think it makes sense to me that Ron would make friends with the most famous wizard in the school because I think life presents to you over and over again your biggest and most painful fear – until you conquer it. It just keeps coming up.

Rowling: This is so true, it has happened in my own life. The issue keeps coming up because you are drawn to it and you are putting yourself in front of it all the time. At a certain point you have to choose what to do about it and sometimes conquering it is choosing to say: I don’t want that anymore, I’m going to stop walking up to you because there is nothing there for me. But yes, you’re so right, that’s very insightful. Ron’s used to playing second fiddle. I think that’s a comfortable role for him, but at a certain point he has to be his own man, doesn’t he?

Watson: Yes, and until he does it is unresolved. It is unfinished business. So maybe life presented this to him enough times until he had to make a choice and become the man that Hermione needs.

Rowling: Just like her creator, she has a real weakness for a funny man. These uptight girls, they do like them funny.

Watson: They do like them funny, they need them funny.

Elsewhere in their interview in Wonderland Magazine, Rowling touches on the Fantastic Beasts movie amongst other things about her life and career.

http://www.hypable.com/2014/02/07/jk...one-interview/

Last edited by GingerCat1; February 7th, 2014 at 10:57 am.
Sponsored Links
Old February 7th, 2014, 10:55 am
Zonko's Employee

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackKnight86 View Post
Apparently, the author does not agree with you.
What of it? This wouldn't be the first time I have disagreed with JKR on something.

I think she's wrong about this. I think that Ron/Hermione was completely the way to go, from a literary POV, and whatever she says now, I think she made the correct creative decision at the time.

Why? Because Ron's big Achilles heel is jealousy. If JKR had put Harry and Hermione together, this would have made Ron the third wheel ... yet again. And this would have seriously affected the dynamics of the series, it would have unbalanced the Trio in a way I would have found truly tedious. As things stand, Harry is mainly unencumbered with romantic baggage in DH (Ginny is still at school and therefore shunted to the side-lines) and I think that was right. Harry has a quest, he has Horcruxes to destroy: there are far more important things plot-wise than Harry's love life. As it is, JKR uses Ron's jealousy in a fantastic plot-relevant way in DH: the Horcrux plays on his inner demons and Ron finally has the courage to confront and defeat them. Nicely done, JKR!

An author's opinion on her own work isn't canon. Neither is it set in stone. JKR is entitled to a re-thinking on her own creation ... all that proves is that she, like anyone else, has opinions that change and fluctuate. Well, don't we all.

Old February 7th, 2014, 10:56 am
Seventh Year

Well it isn't as bad as I was fearing but it still isn't great. JKR is in some ways very dismissive of Ron though at least she implies that Hermione is definitely attracted to Ron. She didn't imply that with Harry and Hermione.

I also thought JKR did show in the epilogue that Ron was now comfortable in his own skin and that he was confident so what she is saying doesn't make a lot of sense to me.

The one positive for Ron is that in the interview both Emma and JKR mention that Hermione needs to be with someone who is funny and while Harry might be many things he is not funny.

Last edited by GingerCat1; February 7th, 2014 at 11:01 am.
Old February 7th, 2014, 11:05 am
The Next Great Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackKnight86 View Post
Apparently, the author does not agree with you.
From what I've seen of the quote, JKR didn't rule out Hermione and Ron going out together, just not being married.

A patriot is someone who wants the best for his country, including the best laws and the best ideals. It's something other people should call you -- you shouldn't call yourself that. People who call themselves patriots are usually liars. -- Donald Woods

You got what anybody gets . . . You got a lifetime. -- Death of the Endless
Old February 7th, 2014, 11:22 am
Sixth Year

Nice to see the full context. So it's gone from "Ron and Hermione are wrong!!!" in the headlines to "Harry and Hermione is how it could have gone, but Ron and Hermione will probably be fine in the end".

Old February 7th, 2014, 2:19 pm
Master of the Magical Arts

Quote:
Originally Posted by GingerCat1 View Post
Well it isn't as bad as I was fearing but it still isn't great. JKR is in some ways very dismissive of Ron though at least she implies that Hermione is definitely attracted to Ron. She didn't imply that with Harry and Hermione.

I also thought JKR did show in the epilogue that Ron was now comfortable in his own skin and that he was confident so what she is saying doesn't make a lot of sense to me.

The one positive for Ron is that in the interview both Emma and JKR mention that Hermione needs to be with someone who is funny and while Harry might be many things he is not funny.
Now that I've seen the actual interview, I don't think Jo was being dismissive of Ron or saying that his and Hermione's relationship would never work. She certainly was not saying she had regrets or considered it badly written. I'm wondering if Rita Skeeter had a hand in writing that article from the Sunday Times.

I like that Jo acknowledged that both Ron and Hermione had issues that could potentially cause problems in their relationship - past interviews focused more on Ron's issues so it's nice to see Hermione's issues discussed for a change even if it was brief. Ron tends to have low self esteem and Hermione can be overly critical. More significantly, I am thrilled that the comment about marriage counseling was taken completely out of context in that article. Jo was actually saying that marriage counseling would help them and they would probably be fine.

I don't think that contradicts anything from the books. Ron and Hermione did have issues. That's what made them so realistic as a couple. Real relationships are hard work - and nothing worth having ever comes easy. Both have to be willing to work at it - and even fight for the relationship at times. I think Jo showed that with Ron and Hermione in the books. They had their spats and arguments like all couples do - and they both were willing to work at it and resolve those issues. Communication was often an issue for them - both of them being insecure and afraid to reveal their feelings only added to that. But that is something I think they did work out and were much better at by the end. I can see where that could crop up again over the years, but I also see where they would both continue to work on it because it mattered. That was their true strength as a couple.

And I have to admit, I am now curious what wizard marriage counseling would be like and would love for Jo to write a short story or blurb about Ron and Hermione going through counseling. I doubt she ever would, but it could be interesting.

All in all, I don't think Jo really said anything here that she hasn't said before. She has talked about having that moment while writing DH where she felt that it could have gone either way. I've never felt that she was talking about Harry and Hermione making a good couple though. It was certainly possible for Harry and Hermione to turn to each other during that time that they were alone and isolated because they had no one else, but however comforting that might have been in the short term, it wouldn't have worked in the long run. I've always been glad Jo chose not to include something like that in DH because I feel that would have ultimately ruined Harry and Hermione's friendship.

To answer the questions - I think Jo absolutely has a right to discuss any aspect of the books and her feelings about them. People ask her questions because they want to know and she obviously loves talking about this series because it was such a huge part of her life for so many years. While it can be tricky to separate her subjective opinion from her clarifying information in the books - or providing additional information from the back story or "behind the scenes" moments - I don't think it's too difficult to do so. We can agree or disagree with her subjective opinions and assimilate the additional information or clarification easily enough. I don't think any such discussion changes the books themselves. Personally, I like having that additional insight - and I love getting more information about the back story and "behind the scenes" moments.

Reform must come from within, not from without. ~ James Cardinal Gibbons

"So, if people want information on my characters, then they have to accept that I'm going to give them the information on the characters. And if they don't like it, that's the nature of fiction. You have to accept someone else's world because they made that world, so they probably know a little better than you do what goes on there." ~ J.K. Rowling

All posts are my opinions and interpretations based on reading the Harry Potter books and interviews with J.K. Rowling.

Old February 7th, 2014, 2:27 pm
Seventh Year

I hated the talk of Harry and Hermione being equals though and implying Ron is less than them. I mean that is a horrible thing to say especially since it is not true.

I also have no idea what JKR is talking about with Ron's self esteem issues is the whole point of the locket scene was to show Ron getting over those issues.

Old February 7th, 2014, 2:44 pm
Zonko's Employee

Quote:
I hated the talk of Harry and Hermione being equals though and implying Ron is less than them. I mean that is a horrible thing to say especially since it is not true.
But where does she say that? I can't see anything like that.

Quote:
I also have no idea what JKR is talking about with Ron's self esteem issues is the whole point of the locket scene was to show Ron getting over those issues.
It usually takes a very long time to get over certain issues. Ron confronting the delusions of the Horcrux Locket is a great scene and obviously that dramatic incident helped him achieve a significant emotional breakthrough - that doesn't mean he never struggled with self-esteem ever again. JKR has a realistic grasp on personality and characterisation. Do we suppose that Hermione was never overly critical and bossy ever again?

Old February 7th, 2014, 2:48 pm
Seventh Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pearl_Took View Post
It is definitely implied in the language as they talk of Harry and Hermione being equals which is supposedly why they might be good together and that implies that Ron and Hermione are not equals which I think is wrong.

They make it sound like Ron is not as good as Hermione and less deserving somehow.

Also JKR really has turned Harry into a Gary Stu in some ways. He was always a bit of a Gary Stu but even more so with more recent interviews JKR has given. I mean just look at the wand wood and wand core descriptions JKR has given Harry's wand in Pottermore. It is classic Gary Stu. Now JKR sort of wants Gary Stu to be with the leading female making Harry into an even bigger Gary Stu.

In 2007 JKR said that Ron becomes an Auror after the final book. I suspect though that if she was asked now JKR would say that Ron becomes a dish washer at a fast food restaurant.

Old February 7th, 2014, 3:05 pm

Quote:

That was Emma's opinion though. Jo didn't really comment on that so much as shift it to discussing that it was brave for Hermione to make that choice. Emma's opinion is likely influenced by the films to a large extent. Jo likes Ron and one of the reasons she tried to end the "shipping wars" after HBP came out was that she was very disturbed by all the Ron hate. She's also discussed how the trio was stronger together and how Ron was the glue that held them together. So I don't think she was dismissing Ron at all.

I get what she was saying about Ron because people never really get over self esteem issues. Not completely. Ron spent his entire childhood feeling overlooked and undervalued. Destroying the locket was a huge step in being able to overcome those feelings, but not a cure. Ron always responded to his low self esteem by not really trying - if you don't try, you can't fail. In some ways that did put him at a disadvantage because he didn't learn certain things or didn't practice as he should have. That was a shame because, when you consider that Ron's grades overall were the same as Harry's and just one level under Hermione with so little effort on his part, it's clear that he was capable of a lot more than he believed.

The other thing with the locket scene is that Ron told Harry that he already knew that the things the locket was saying to him and showing him were not true - in his head. He knew he was projecting his own fears and, without the locket, he was able to deal with that for the most part. It was his fear that made him doubt himself. Destroying the locket was a way to confront some of those specific fears, but it wouldn't prevent other fears from cropping up at other times - particularly if/when he is criticized. I think that is something Ron would have to deal with from time to time - reminding himself of his own worth and making an effort not to compare himself to others. His tendency to compare himself to others was part of the problem there - and that's something he'll have to work at I think. But I don't think Ron would have the same self esteem issues as an adult because of that experience. I think it would be easier for him to stop and remind himself that he has his own talents and skills.

Quote:
It was a comment Emma made rather than Jo.

Quote:
It usually takes a very long time to get over certain issues. Ron confronting the delusions of the Horcrux Locket is a great scene and obviously that dramatic incident helped him achieve a significant emotional breakthrough - that doesn't mean he never struggled with self-esteem ever again. JKR has a realistic grasp on personality and characterisation. Do we suppose that Hermione was never overly critical and bossy ever again?
Exactly. I'm really glad Jo discussed Hermione's flaws here. It always bothered me that Hermione's flaws always seemed to get glossed over or ignored. Being overly critical and bossy was a huge part of Hermione's personality - and that tied into her own issues with low self esteem because she was often overly critical of herself as well. Only Hermione would be upset and disappointed in herself for getting one E and nine 0's. She tends to hold herself - and others - to impossibly high standards at times.

"So, if people want information on my characters, then they have to accept that I'm going to give them the information on the characters. And if they don't like it, that's the nature of fiction. You have to accept someone else's world because they made that world, so they probably know a little better than you do what goes on there." ~ J.K. Rowling

All posts are my opinions and interpretations based on reading the Harry Potter books and interviews with J.K. Rowling.

Old February 7th, 2014, 3:48 pm
Seventh Year

Also what I thought was weird was Emma's and JKR's belief that Hermione's sacrifice was greater than Ron's. Sure Hermione's parents had their memories altered so they did not remember her but they were never in any danger of dying because of it. However when Ron left on the Horcrux hunt he had to live with the very real fear that his entire family would be captured by Death Eaters and publicly executed.

Old February 7th, 2014, 4:08 pm

Quote:
Also what I thought was weird was Emma's and JKR's belief that Hermione's sacrifice was greater than Ron's. Sure Hermione's parents had their memories altered so they did not remember her but they were never in any danger of dying because of it. However when Ron left on the Horcrux hunt he had to live with the very real fear that his entire family would be captured by Death Eaters and publicly executed.
I didn't see either of them say Hermione's sacrifice was greater than Ron's. Acknowledging that Hermione did make a huge sacrifice doesn't take away from Ron doing the same. Just as acknowledging that Ron needed to work out his own issues when he left doesn't take away from the fact that he did come back - and tried to immediately.

I don't think you really can compare Hermione and Ron in that context because they were both important to Harry in different ways and for different reasons. I don't think Jo is trying to compare them in that context either. We can point out that Hermione really didn't have anywhere else to go where she would be as safe, but does that really take away from her choice to stay when Ron left? I don't think it does. Just as I don't think Ron being influenced by the locket and leaving when Harry ordered him to diminishes the fact that he immediately realized it was a mistake and tried to get back to them. Circumstances were as much a part of that as their own tempers and flaws were. But it does all come together in furthering their development as characters. They all made mistakes and they all learned from those mistakes. For me, that is what counts in the end.

There is more focus on Hermione in this interview, but I think that is natural due to Emma playing Hermione in the films and Jo putting so much of herself into Hermione. They both love the character and that's what Emma focused on with her questions. I don't think that takes away from the other characters because I think you would see similar results if Jo were interviewed by Rupert Grint or Daniel Radcliffe. The discussion would naturally lean towards the characters they played in the films because they all spent so much time in their character's heads.

Old February 7th, 2014, 4:20 pm
MODLY CREW

Quote:
In 2007 JKR said that Ron becomes an Auror after the final book.
And that was fairly unbelievable in my view. It's supposed to be a really tough job to get into, a job that requires top marks in a lot of subjects Ron just didn't excel at. I think Ron working with his brother at the joke shop seems much more credible.

Old February 7th, 2014, 4:37 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moriath View Post
And that was fairly unbelievable in my view. It's supposed to be a really tough job to get into, a job that requires top marks in a lot of subjects Ron just didn't excel at. I think Ron working with his brother at the joke shop seems much more credible.
I have to say that I never really understood that argument. Ron got the same grades as Harry and the same results on his OWLs - with the exception of Harry getting an O in DADA where Ron got an E. We know they both at least got E's in all the required subjects for the Auror career because that was the minimum requirement. Ron was lazy about doing school work, but he was not stupid and actually did fairly well in school in spite of not putting much effort into it. The adventures he had with Harry also went a long way towards preparing both of them for being Aurors. In a lot of ways, Harry and Ron were probably better trained for being Aurors after their 6 years at Hogwarts than many who were actually in Auror training who didn't have an evil dark Wizard trying to kill them almost every school year.

Jo later clarified that Ron worked full time as an Auror and helped George at the joke shop in his spare time - she said George needed the companionship and Ron needed the extra money. I actually think Ron was better suited to be an Auror. The joke shop involved inventing magical objects and spells - which none of the trio ever even attempted. But I can see Ron helping out in his spare time as a clerk or maybe doing inventory. I just don't see Ron being a full partner and inventing objects or spells for that inventory. Ron was much more suited to investigative work than inventing things.

Old February 7th, 2014, 4:41 pm
MODLY CREW

Quote:
Originally Posted by meesha1971 View Post
Jo later clarified that Ron worked full time as an Auror and helped George at the joke shop in his spare time - she said George needed the companionship and Ron needed the extra money.
I never read the second part before. Ron needed the money? Aurors are that badly paid? The elite fighters of the wizarding world need a second job to support their families, who'd have thought. I'm surprised by this.

Old February 7th, 2014, 4:48 pm
Fifth Year

Quote:
Why? Because Ron's big Achilles heel is jealousy. If JKR had put Harry and Hermione together, this would have made Ron the third wheel ... yet again. And this would have seriously affected the dynamics of the series, it would have unbalanced the Trio in a way I would have found truly tedious.
I think that if JKR did decide to go the Harry/Hermione route, she wouldn't have had Ron interested in Hermione at that point. If Ron wasn't attracted in Hermione in that way then there wouldn't be an issue of jealousy and the dynamic of the trio wouldn't be so messed up. JKR likes her happy endings!

I don't like the idea that Ron needs Hermione to get over his insecurities... he shouldn't need to get together with the heroine in order to have better self esteem! He's stronger than that!

Old February 7th, 2014, 5:14 pm
Fifth Year

Well all I can say from my point of view that this is a natural outcome of the author putting her own personality of a major character in a book. I always felt JKR hid Hermione's character flaws much more than any other character. I also felt that after the second book she started knocking Ron's character down. She had said she had considered killing off Ron when she was in a "bad place" in her life. It's my humble opinion that she grew jealous of Ron's popularity as compared to her own personality avatar...Hermione.

I will repeat that I think Hermione is a great character and worthy of praise, but...JKR keeps Hermione's failures to a minimum or out of sight. And after giving Ron such a huge inferiority complex and having the basic instability of a triangle of friends as her main support for her antagonist the natural competition for who is most popular or "better" leaves Ron as the third wheel. That was pretty obvious to me reading DH and I said so at the time. What really surprised me was how JKR let Hermione eclipse even Harry alot of the time in DH. But showing a little egotism in successful self-made persons is natural and to be expected.

Look, JKR is only human and she has her right to her jealousies as anyone; I just wish Ron wasn't the focus of so many in her stories. She seems to love the character but has a need to inflict continuous embarrasment(sp?) or semi-ridicule on him in an almost cruel way. Or looking at it another way, elevating Hermione and leaving Ron as an "also ran".

"People can sleep peacefully in their beds at night because there are strong men willing to do violence on their behalf."--George Orwell

"The urge to save humanity is often a false-face for the urge to rule it."--H.L. Mencken

"You can trust the Americans to do the right thing...after they have tried everything else."--Winston Churchill

"All's fair in love and war, and this is a little bit of both."--Ron Weasley
Old February 7th, 2014, 5:16 pm
Seventh Year

Quote:
I never read the second part before. Ron needed the money? Aurors are that badly paid? The elite fighters of the wizarding world need a second job to support their families, who'd have thought. I'm surprised by this.
Probably during Auror training when Ron probably wasn't getting a great wage.

Quote:
Originally Posted by darklordspal View Post
Well all I can say from my point of view that this is a natural outcome of the author putting her own personality of a major character in a book. I always felt JKR hid Hermione's character flaws much more than any other character. I also felt that after the second book she started knocking Ron's character down. She had said she had considered killing off Ron when she was in a "bad place" in her life. It's my humble opinion that she grew jealous of Ron's popularity as compared to her own personality avatar...Hermione.

I will repeat that I think Hermione is a great character and worthy of praise, but...JKR keeps Hermione's failures to a minimum or out of sight. And after giving Ron such a huge inferiority complex and having the basic instability of a triangle of friends as her main support for her antagonist the natural competition for who is most popular or "better" leaves Ron as the third wheel. That was pretty obvious to me reading DH and I said so at the time. What really surprised me was how JKR let Hermione eclipse even Harry alot of the time in DH. But showing a little egotism in successful self-made persons is natural and to be expected.

Look, JKR is only human and she has her right to her jealousies as anyone; I just wish Ron wasn't the focus of so many in her stories. She seems to love the character but has a need to inflict continuous embarrasment(sp?) or semi-ridicule on him in an almost cruel way. Or looking at it another way, elevating Hermione and leaving Ron as an "also ran".
Very well said. I completely agree with it. Not that it is likely but since this is the main Harry Potter forum on the internet I hope JKR herself reads what you just wrote and she thinks about it.

Old February 7th, 2014, 5:23 pm

Quote:
This came from one of the Q&A sessions after one of those readings she did back in 2007. She told the audience that after Ron became an Auror he moonlighted in George's joke shop because "Ron needed the money and George needed the companionship". Sounds to me like that would have been during his Auror training or immediately after that was completed so he would have been an entry level at that point. Probably before he and Hermione got married. That's why I like to think he was saving up to get Hermione a ring.

I doubt his salary was much of an issue after they got married since they both had jobs with the Ministry. But I can see him continuing to moonlight with George for the companionship. However, I can't say that I would be surprised by law enforcement being underpaid if that was the case. I don't really see cops bringing home the big bucks. At least they don't here in the US.

Old February 7th, 2014, 6:13 pm
Second Year

In complete agreement with what darklordspal said. JKR has a massive case of author bleed, which is but natural, since she seems to have been with the characters for decades now. What really really bothered me (and impressed me, you'll see why) was her admission that she thought the H/Hr potential while writing DH. I thought she wrote the evolution of R/Hr so beautifully in the last book, that to now think that she was actually having second thoughts about it then, not only bothers me a little, but also makes me think -- "Whoa, well done for not letting that show in the writing". Because, never ever had the H/Hr friendship and platonic love been more clear as in DH.

Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > Harry Potter > The Stone