Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > Harry Potter > Muggle Studies

Creating movie accurate costumes

Old September 1st, 2008, 5:22 pm
Second Year

Creating a movie accurate costume

Hi Guys,

This is actually my first proper post here so please.... be gentle with me! lol (and I hope this is the right section to post in - Mods, feel free to send me a howler if it's not!)

Myself and a friend are planning to put together a couple of Death Eater outfits but we need to make them "movie accurate" (so not just fancy dress / cosplay). It's because we're actually part of a costuming club and one of the things which the club prides itself on is being as movie accurate as possible (which is providing "interesting" in this case to say the least - still, I love a challange! lol)

We've been surfing the web for a while now to get as much info and many reference pics as possible but seem to have got about all we can (which sadly isn't enough) .... so we could really do with a helping hand.

There are a couple of costumes we're aiming for, but primarily we want to do:
a) Lucius Malfoy's Death Eater outfit from Order of the Phoenix (specifically, from the Battle for the Prophecy scene)
b) Another (male) Death Eater (from the same scene) - I love Bellatrix's mask but sadly because of the need to stay "movie accurate" I can't use it
c) Voldemort (again, from the same film)

Does anyone have either:
a) some really good reference pics (behind the scenes pics would also be cool as we're struggling to find any pics showing the boots, Lucius' ring (which is different to his "Formal wear" ring, or the pattern on the arm of his battle outfit.

b) *any* information about *any* parts of the costume? what fabrics were used, any pattern info, what kind of boots were used, etc - anything would be really helpful but again, it needs to be as "movie accurate" as possible. If you coud cite your source that might also be really helpful - for example, I recently saw in an interview with Jason Isaacs & Ralph Fiennes that for Voldemort's robe they use over 50m of Silk (shame they didn't mention which colour number and supplier! lol)

c) information about useful links where we might be able to get custom stuff made if necessary (Mods - sorry, newbie question - is it OK to post that here? If not, feel free to remove that bit)

Thanks all
Kessa

Last edited by Kessa; November 13th, 2008 at 3:48 pm.
Sponsored Links
Old September 2nd, 2008, 1:44 am
Second Year

Re: Creating a movie accurate costume

I'm wondering what I should do for a non-azkaban rag Sirius costume. Any ideas?

Hissy Hissy Little Snakey
Pottermore:WolfsbaneMarauder33
Wand: Dragon Black Walnut 11 1/2 in. unyielding
Old September 2nd, 2008, 2:17 am
Qvack...

I know that this may sound silly, but never underestimate the power of black sheets. Normally King Size, and sometimes you can get nice cheap ones made of satin, which would look great for Lucius' robes. This will require huge patience though, its actually a really tricky costume.

Lucius Malfoy Order of the Phoenix
Pretty good picture here of the costume's upper part up close. Perhaps you could use a pair of black tights to recreate the elastics on the hands. Cut a hole around the middle of the tights, without chopping off the legs, and you can actually fit your head through there, putting your hands into the legs, per se. From there, you'll have to try to make the crossover work. I imagine that would require thread and patience!

The sleeves of the costume, I'm not sure you'll be able to get that kind of material unless you find a jacket made of it that you can use. They are quite common, but I've not seen one in a while.

I also think, that the end of that costume, with the boots, Lucius wears medieval type spurs. Those are so beyond impossible to find. Trust me, I work in a theatre company. They are impossible to find! Maybe you could order a pair from somewhere. In short, I think, without buying a replica, Lucius' costume will be very very tricky.

Lucius Malfoy replica walking stick
The sheer price of the walking stick should show you how tricky it will be to remain movie accurate.

Voldemort at the Ministry
This shows the front of Voldemort's costume, and I reckon you could use a black karate suit or ninja suit to recreate the effect of that. Again, I'd go with a heavy cotton sheet and some careful sewing for the robe part. You really would want to be good with sewing! If you could find black dressing gowns, you could do that too, but I don't see them very often.

Incidentally, for the two of you, this is a great site to look around. It's well worth checking out, because it gives pictures, prices and ideas for making the costumes yourself. You both might find what you're looking for.

Malkin's Robes- Costume Ideas

I really hope this helps in some small way.

THE DUCK.

Old September 2nd, 2008, 11:02 am
Second Year

Hi vampiricduck,

Firstly, thanks - that's a crackin' shot of Lucius and definately the best one we've got of his ring and sleeves so that's a huge help.

I was interested to hear that you thought he had some kind of spur on his boots - I've got a *fairly* good shot of the boot and hadn't spotted anything like that, but having said that it's quite a dark shot so if the spur is also dark (which I suspect it would be) then maybe I just can't see it. Have you got any reference shots of that?

With regards to the cost of the cane, believe it or not - the one you linked to is actually pretty cheap - it's $95 (so about, 45).... whereas in the UK they go for about 95! [yikes]

Don't worry too much about the costs (not that I'm loaded! (I wish!) I'm just used to movie accurate costumes costing more to replicate than cosplay type outfits (I'm not knocking cosplay outfits - many are awesome it's just if it's not movie accurate it won't get "cleared" by our club.)

Thanks for the ideas & suggestions for the costume too - very ingenious

However, I really do need to try and keep things as true to the screen used costumes as possible as the one things that our costuming club prides itself on is being as movie accurate as possible.

To give you an example, one of my existing costumes is movie accurate StormTrooper armour - right down to the colour of the paint used to do the ab-plate buttons (one of the guys actually spoke to a guy at Elstree (I think) to try and find out that paints were used.... long story short - they actually found out not only the paint type.... but even the actual number!)

It doesn't stop at the costume either - once the costume is all sorted we also have to behave like the character too.

As a result, when people see the Garrison, they see us as being "actual" StormTroopers, as opposed to someone dressed up as a StormTrooper - hope that makes sense?

We even get asked for autographs

Anyway, back to the subject in hand - if we can get a good enough shot of the ring, we can get that custom made. (the shot you provided is probably the best we have so far so thanks again for that)

The original jacket / tunic, and cloaks were also custom made by the costume dept I think so I suspect we'd need to also get them custom made simply because nowhere seems to have any accurate replica's (or anything which we could adapt to make accurate)

The boots might be the main thing which we could source, but I guess we still need to clearer shots of those.

It's a challange - but well worth it in the long run

Old September 2nd, 2008, 5:09 pm
Qvack...

Kessa, I have to hand it to you. I admire your dedication. I'm sure I have seen the spurs, but it might not have been in that particular shot or scene, so if we did find a better picture, we could tell for sure. I'll keep looking for one, and if I source them, I'll tell you straightaway.

As long as you have the Lucius picture I posted above, a dressmaker would be well able to remake that costume as closely as possible- it's not too difficult, because the materials are basic looking enough. It's the same with Voldemort's outift, the fon of the cossack would be the hardest bit, and even with eprsonal patience you could replicate it. it looks like cotton to me, but I can't be absolutely one hundred percent positive.

Are the Death eaters wearing masks in those shots? because those masks are very easy to find, I've seen them in Cork City, which is a fairly small place.

I'll keep an eye out for you, and any replica shots I find or see or any info I source, I'll send it your way. I'm not doing much else anyway, so I'll try to help you.
And now that I see the depth of your accuracies, I see where we're going with this!

'Cos I'm nice!

THE DUCK.

Old September 2nd, 2008, 5:46 pm
Second Year

Quote:
Kessa, I have to hand it to you. I admire your dedication
Thanks - sometimes I just think I'm either nuts or a glutton for punishment!

Quote:
I'm sure I have seen the spurs, but it might not have been in that particular shot or scene, so if we did find a better picture, we could tell for sure. I'll keep looking for one, and if I source them, I'll tell you straightaway.
Awesome - I'll take another look too.

Quote:
It's the same with Voldemort's outift, the fon of the cossack would be the hardest bit
OK, time to show my complete lack of fabric type knowledge - what's a "fon"?

Quote:
it looks like cotton to me, but I can't be absolutely one hundred percent positive.
Not sure about the fon bit, but apparently they used over 50m of silk in the voldemort costume

Quote:
Are the Death eaters wearing masks in those shots?
Yep - it's not the skeleton type half mask which they used in GoF but they're actually full face masks.

There seem to be 2 main ones which are publically available - 1 is a low end (but very good) one with a Voice changer (the voice changer is actually a bit pants so that would have to go / be mod'd), but the mask itself is OK for the price. I picked one up for 5 from play.com.... and the next day it lept up to 29.99! [yikes] - if you can get one for a fiver, I'd say go for it... but I certainly don't think it's worth 30!

The other main option is the collectors one available from Nobel - it's much more accurate, but also more expensive. Even that would need some mod'ing to make it more accurate (a bit of weathing, etc). Hopefully I'm going to get hands on with one at the weekend so I'll have a better idea of which to use as the base.

Quote:
I'll keep an eye out for you, and any replica shots I find or see or any info I source, I'll send it your way. I'm not doing much else anyway, so I'll try to help you.
And now that I see the depth of your accuracies, I see where we're going with this!

'Cos I'm nice
You're a star!

Old September 2nd, 2008, 6:24 pm
Seventh Year

Just out of interest how much do you plan to spend? It sounds like you have found a really expensive hobby.

Old September 2nd, 2008, 9:19 pm
Second Year

Probably best not to ask! lol

Seriously though, my StormTrooper outfit wasn't cheap so I'm realistic about the costs, but yes you're right, it can definately be quite an expensive hobby if you get too carried away so many of us just focus on doing 1 or 2 costumes really well.

We all get a buzz out of it too as all of the "troops" we attend raise money for charity, and people tend to get a buzz from seing us. When we go out to events people can't help grinning from ear to ear (in a nice way) and go away feeling like they've met an "actual" StormTrooper, so it makes it all worth it.

I actually feel quite privalidged as there are not many hobbies where you not only get to enjoy your hobby, but others get pleasure from it too, and you raise money for charity as well.

Old September 3rd, 2008, 12:58 am
Qvack...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kessa View Post
OK, time to show my complete lack of fabric type knowledge - what's a "fon"?
I am so very sorry my dear. That should have said "front", but I was typing too fast, as usual, I imagine. I do apologise for the confusion I caused you!

Quote:
Not sure about the fon bit, but apparently they used over 50m of silk in the voldemort costume
You might want to check for that specific scene. The outside of it does look silk, but the inside looks a bit rougher. You could check by watching the movie, and when you get that far, pause it as the cloth falls around his frame and see how it falls. Silk falls faster than cotton. I know that sounds ridiculous, but you just might get lucky!! Equally, if they say 50m, its likely all silk. Hurm. Depends on confidence and time, I suppose! Don't go by me, you know more about it than I do! I'm just a humble servant in this area, the only experience I have is theatre dressmaking!

THE DUCK.

Old September 3rd, 2008, 10:39 am
Second Year

Quote:
I am so very sorry my dear. That should have said "front", but I was typing too fast, as usual, I imagine. I do apologise for the confusion I caused you!

No worries, although I must admit that you did have me Googling for a few minutes just in case.

Quote:
I'm just a humble servant in this area, the only experience I have is theatre dressmaking
That makes you fair more qualified than me - the only stiches I have experience of is when I go running (and I rarely go running )

Yep, you're right though - I definately need to do a load more research for both costumes but especially Voldemort's.

On a side issue, I've also just started doing some research into prothetics as obviously to look anything like him I'm going to need to work on this beautifully chiselled face of mine

It's another area I know nothing about (and blimey there's a lot to learn - hmmm, which to use....silicon, gelatine, foam latex? decisions, decisions!) - so it's definately going to be a tough costume with a very steep learning curve - but awesome and extremely rewarding to pull off!

Old September 3rd, 2008, 6:16 pm
Qvack...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kessa View Post
No worries, although I must admit that you did have me Googling for a few minutes just in case.
All I can say to that is this: Also, sorry!

Quote:
On a side issue, I've also just started doing some research into prothetics as obviously to look anything like him I'm going to need to work on this beautifully chiselled face of mine
Prosthetics... Oh dear me. All I can give you on that front is that latex is the best way to go for face attachments. I made one at one stage for a werewolf type thing, and it does work quite well, but it requires infinite patience. I was still topping it up the day before we got off stage... Ahem! I would suggest starting out with a basic white mask (like a Phantom of the Opera mask, without the side cut off), they're very cheap and easy to get in large amounts. Build onto that from what you want, taking it from Jason Isaacs face with his wig on. I'm stressing with the wig on, because it causes tension around his hairline that might not otherwise look correct.

Good picture of his face; looking directly at the camera

I hope that helps in some small way.

This is a great site. Some of the pictures won't help you at all, but the page I've linked to should show you a bit more of his face, and there's also some discussion about the actual costume he wears in the scene you're interested in too. It might be useful to you to see how material falls, and also, I notice that his shoes (or boots) are completely invisible in this scene, leading me to believe they may be theatre boots (soft, supple leather, completely nondescript, very useful for action scenes, and always, always black!)

Isaacs/Malfoy Costume Drama

I really hope this stuff is helping you, and that I'm not just wasting your time!

THE DUCK.

Old September 4th, 2008, 2:46 pm
Second Year

Quote:
Isaacs/Malfoy Costume Drama [link]
You beat me too it - I found that yesterday but didn't have a chance to post it up last night.

It's an awesome site with some crackin shots - if anyone else is following this thread then I'd definately say head over to http://www.jasonisaacsphotoalbumsonl...ews_update.htm first - it'll get you off to a flying start.

3 really interesting pics:    

- this seems to show that the arms are in fact seperate to the main tunic top, and are actually part of a non elaberate under top. (hope that makes sense)

- shows the costume in "normal" light. The leather looks almost more of a brownish colour, than the silvery / charcoal grey or blank (dependent on the lighting) it looks in the film. (unless that's just me! lol )

- a shot of the boots - yeay!

OK, so it's not a great shot, but it's definately the best I have so far. Again, it also shows how his top has a very plain body section, but with the intricate arms.

Quote:
I really hope this stuff is helping you, and that I'm not just wasting your time
It's absolutely helping, and very, very much appreciated!

I've posted on a couple of HP forums now, and so far have only had 2 responses, and yours has been the only one which I've been able to follow anything up on (the other person was also helpful, but was just able to say they couldn't really help - nice to have taken the time to respond all the same though)

..... so pleaseeeeeee don't go anywhere!

Old September 5th, 2008, 1:08 am
Qvack...

I'm still here and still looking, and I'm only too happy to help. I mean, what else would a girl be doing at, oh... 1am? Tch! No problem!

Definitely the dark brown shows through on the leather, it looks excellent under that light. I doubt you'll find so much information elsewhere. That was definitely a good catch.

Pictures for the Death Eater costumes are so much harder to find, and i thought the Lucius ones were proving difficult! Aah! But I did find this...

Death Eater and Luna

Other than that, I can only find pictures of action figures, like this:

Action Figure

It does show, though, that it's your basic pants, jumper, tunic and boots thing. At least it means you have a general gist.. Hurm.

Tattoo

That's a great picture of the Dark Mark, which I assume will also be used as part of the costumes? It's never too clear in the films, so that's the exact copy, as far as I can see. In case you need it.

That's all I have for the moment, but I'm still looking!

THE DUCK.

Old September 5th, 2008, 10:53 am
Second Year

Great minds think alike I've also got those pics of the tattoo and Model so it's great to see were pretty much getting all that's available.

(I guess I need to try and sort somewhere out eventually where I can share all of the stuff we find with everyone else)

I did find a couple of nice shots of the other Death Eater outfits but sadly some of the best ones were on www.gryffindorgazette.com but now seem to be unavailable.

However, if you do a google image search for "death+eater+exhibit" (without the quotes) it currently brings up thumbnails of them on the 2nd page of results.

I did grab a copy (just in case they vanished, which given they now have seems to have been a good move ) so if I get find out who took the pics and get their permission I'll pop them up somewhere some everyone else can see them.

Also, found this which is quite a nice shot:

The Tattoo's are something you can get from Whimsically.

Old September 5th, 2008, 11:04 am
Hogwarts Graduate

Since this thread deals with movie costumes, I'm moving it to Muggle Studies .

Old September 5th, 2008, 11:26 am
Second Year

Thanks Drusilla (sorry, being a newbie I wasn't sure of the best place for it )

---------------------------------------------------------------------

A couple of intesting facts whcih I've got so far:

Apparently there were over 40 Death Eater costumes made. Each one was hand embroidered.

Apparently they had to make about 6 for each Death Eater because the costumes were so delicate that they couldn't be washed so they had to rotate the costumes. That's really interesting (and quite crutial info from our perspective) as we'd need to be able to wash our outfits so that's something I need to be mindful of.

I guess the other possibility would be to wear some kind of hidden undersuit to help absorb any sweat but that's a double edged sword as with an extra layer (in what I suspect will already be a very walm costume) it's going to make you sweat more, so will need to try and find a balance.

JACKPOT!!!

Might have just found the perfect set of boots (albiet with a very slight bit of modding)

http://kingdomofstyle.typepad.co.uk/...-to-my-bi.html

(2nd pair from the left in the first pic)

Just trying to find out what they are called, and whether I can get hold of them in the UK

Definately the closest I've got so far though, and as an added bonus they already look weathered!

Old September 5th, 2008, 12:36 pm
Hogwarts Graduate

You visited Kingdom of Style? That's one of my favourite sites of all time - it's written by two Glasgow-based women - and Topshop will most definitely be available in the UK, just check for the style though. A good secondhand or vintage shop might also be worth looking at, those flat boots were very popular a while ago.

Old September 5th, 2008, 1:12 pm
Second Year

Yeah, it's amazing what you find on Google! Stumbled across them whilst doing an image search.

Just heard back from Michelle - lovely lass - very helpful.

Just trying to find out what that style is called, but apparently TopShop don't have them in stock - just trying to find out if I can get the suppliers details.

Also, I managed to find another site which had the Death Eater Exhibit pics which I mentioned above - they're available on the Leaky Cauldrons Gallery (http://gallery.the-leaky-cauldron.org/album/3147?page=2) along with some of the other costumes.

Old September 5th, 2008, 4:36 pm
Qvack...

You really have got some fantastic stuff to work with now!

Also, those pair of boots are very in keeping with theatre boots that I've seen. The soft leather makes it really easy to walk in them, and they look fantastic with pretty much every costume.

Does this mean that the Voldemort costume is actually quite green? Hurm. Will you keep it as green, even though the muted lights on set during filming turned it kind of a nblack colour?

The Leaky Galleries have some great costume pictures, wow! So the next time you need a costume at all, you'll have an idea of where to start.

Incidentally, and this is only a tiny suggestion, but did you check the DVD extras on the film? Sometimes they run through costuming on those things. They might not, I haven't got a two disc edition to check, but it might be worth a shot.

THE DUCK.

Old September 5th, 2008, 6:19 pm
Hogwarts Graduate

Ah yes, Queen Michelle's lovely (I often comment on their site under my CoS username, and she and Queen Marie know their fashion). I think the boots look a little like riding boots, too- I'm just shooting into the dark with this one, but a shop that specialises in leather goods might be a good place to look.

Do show us pictures of your costume when you're finally finished .

Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > Harry Potter > Muggle Studies