Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > Harry Potter > Muggle Studies

Creating movie accurate costumes

Old November 13th, 2008, 5:08 pm
First Year

Re: Creating a movie accurate costume - Death Eaters

I have quite alot of images and photos to reference.

Also my own sources I use to have bits and pieces made etc etc.

But yes, cost will most likely be the biggest obstacle people face.

My mask alone cost £700/$1400 so...pretty expensive.

Add that to the cost of having a linen robe made, a tunic made with embroidery details, custom leather belt and gloves, linen trousers, and yet to sort out boots.

Costume = rather pricey I'd say, lol.

Halloween death-eater costume 2009.
Image ©2009 A.M.

Last edited by MrAsh; November 14th, 2008 at 10:51 am.
Sponsored Links
Old November 19th, 2008, 5:17 pm
Second Year

Hi All,

Well, I finally managed to find a few minutes to get these put up on flickr so I hope you find them helpful.

Please note, all of the pics were found in the public domain but the copyright remains with the original holder so please respect that (I've asked for permission wherever possible to use these pics)

http://www.flickr.com/photos/3201275...507790/detail/

Old November 19th, 2008, 11:55 pm
Second Year

Re: Creating a movie accurate costume - Voldemort

-----
Update:

Hi All,

Well, I finally managed to find a few minutes to get these put up on flickr so I hope you find them helpful.

Please note, all of the pics were found in the public domain but the copyright remains with the original holder so please respect that (I've asked for permission wherever possible to use these pics)

http://www.flickr.com/photos/3201275...102211/detail/

Old November 20th, 2008, 2:28 am
Qvack...

Kessa, those look wonderful of Flikr! I like the idea of this thread- and I can definitely see how it would be of use to those seeking to make new costumes- or even to attempt to make their first one.

THE DUCK.

Old November 20th, 2008, 12:36 pm
Second Year

And if that wasn't enough.... here's a load more

Video Footage:
By far, this is the best place to start if you want an insight into the various costumes.
ITV - Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix - The Costume Drama. (made by "Kindle")
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NjKKbxv8iMI part 1
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j3nO1Lmt7fw part 2 (check this part of our for the Death Eaters and Voldemort)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zdSrkFNLzrE part 3

TV - Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix - Behind the Magic. (Granada Television / Kindle)
- This is quite useful for a bit of general background research and also shows snippets of the costumes so is also a useful starting point but doesn't have as much in depth info as the ones above.
http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=o62grs3mQ44 part 1
http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=RgP4pUDY21M part 2.1
http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=rBHl_v0Zl7I part 2.2
http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=8VSLk1YCdg8 part 3
http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=RJKvDeIdFsc part 4

Harry Potter - Voldemort Interview/Featurette
This is a brilliant bit of video with a nice mix of info, behind the scenes footage, and interviews. Definately worth a look (the only shame is the sound quality - I've not been able to find a better version yet but if anyone else can, let me know and I'll update the link)
http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=Hi4BjmcwMv0

The Hidden Secrets of Harry Potter (New Wave Entertainment)
- I can't remember but I think this might be on the DVD?

On Demand (excellent bit of behind the scenes footage of the outfit moving):
http://video.the-leaky-cauldron.org/video/969

and
http://www.imdb.com/video/screenplay...0414361/player

Interesting (voldemort) quotes:
From the costume drama (part 2) mentioned above:
Quote:
Voldemort's costume contains 50 meteres of silk
- Voldemort's costume was designed by "Jany Temime"

Seen on: http://primetime.unrealitytv.co.uk/h...costume-drama/

Quote:
In this film Lord Voldemort returns to battle Harry for the prophecy, and his costume is every bit as spectacular as imagined, made of over 50m of silk - the length of half a football pitch.

Ralph Fiennes who plays Voldemort says: “Jany designed four or five versions for me to decide on. She’s fantastic. She knows I’m quite particular about feeling right and it’s important for me to feel right in a costume as an actor.”

Seen on: http://entertainment.howstuffworks.c...r-phoenix4.htm
Quote:
All prosthetic makeup fell under Dudman's purview, as well as "organic props" including Death Eater masks and a moving potted plant. Also we do Voldemort. Although Ralph Fiennes' nose is removed digitally, everything else on him is real so we do prosthetic pieces for his forehead, take out his eyebrows, cover all visible skin with a network of transferred veins, which are done on a temporary tattoo system. It's printed out on a computer so we can line them all up identically every day."

That process took four hours, while the Mad-Eye prosthetic was a two-and-a-half-hour job. "If an actor is well known, his contract usually stipulates the hours he can work and that limits the time in makeup," Dudman points out. "So at the beginning I spend time thinking about how we can get that time down. We could have airbrushed the veins on Voldemort every day but it would have taken a long time. Instead, we airbrushed them onto a model, photographed the veins and scanned them into a computer where we could map them, have them printed out with codes on them and then we could put these temporary tattoos on every day and match them up. It knocked two hours off the makeup."

Seen on: http://the-pensieve.org/forums/index...=ST&f=13&t=951
(which in turn I think is a transcript from an interview)
Quote:
Creature effects supervisor Nick Dudman and his team created the key concepts for Voldemort’s makeup, in which minimal prosthetics and transfers were used to cast a sickly, transluscent pallor to Fiennes’ skin and suggest a snarl of veins running down his skull, arms and hands.

“The makeup is quite simple and strong in its design,” notes Fiennes, whose head, arms and chest were shaved as part of the process. “I wanted to wear as little makeup as possible, to be free to move. The idea is that Voldemort has just gotten this new skin. He’s new in this body, so he’s testing it, relishing the power of it.”

A light silk fabric was used to create Voldemort’s black flowing shroud, giving him the appearance of a “floating reptile,” as Fiennes describes his wardrobe. “When you see Voldemort in full figure, it’s as if he’s wearing this black, floating skin. And no shoes. It didn’t feel right that he would have shoes on. He’s just come out of a cauldron.”

“We wanted a costume that had a simplicity about it, something that isn’t as heavy as those worn by the professors,” adds Heyman. “It’s quite spare, not overly ornate, because he is anti-aesthetic. The Death Eaters may enjoy the jewels and finery, but not Voldemort.”

In post-production, the visual effects team digitally re-shaped Fiennes’ nose, flattening it and adding slits to evoke a serpentine look that underscores Voldemort’s Slytherin origins. “It’s really creepy,” Heyman says of Fiennes’ digital transformation, “but in a very subtle, disquieting way.”

Last edited by Kessa; November 27th, 2008 at 3:12 pm.
Old November 21st, 2008, 7:48 am
Banned

Those pictures were fantastic! I liked seeing Michal and Ralph talking out of character. My favorite look for Voldemort in the movies was in Goblet of fire. I think that was very creepy looking how it was just this light flowing black cloth, almost looking like a mist as he moved about.

Old November 21st, 2008, 11:02 am
Second Year

Yeah, that'll be the silk at work

I think the "mist" impression was further enhanced by the CGI for the few seconds where he first comes back to life and it gathers from out of no where. It does look black, but it's actually green

Old November 21st, 2008, 4:51 pm
First Year

and here is my collection.

I had a few pics that Kessa had as well so I did not include those, but you will find a few more in mine also that might help.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/32622800@N02/?saved=1

Image ©2009 A.M.
Old November 21st, 2008, 5:07 pm
Second Year

Wow, some nice pics in there

- does anyone know who those guys are?
I'm assuming that their costumers (and therefore their own costumes) as opposed to the actual movie costumes? If they're the *actual* costumes then there's some crackin' reference pics there

Old November 21st, 2008, 5:20 pm
First Year

They are the movie costumes, as they are photos taken at the OOTP premiere in London

In fact there is a video doc on the net, think it could be on youtube and it's of the death eaters comming out from behind the screen/ministry setup to do photos for the press etc.

Image ©2009 A.M.
Old November 22nd, 2008, 1:43 am
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kessa View Post
Yeah, that'll be the silk at work

I think the "mist" impression was further enhanced by the CGI for the few seconds where he first comes back to life and it gathers from out of no where. It does look black, but it's actually green
Really?? Wow, that's a dark green

Yes, the transformation has plenty CGI around him but, even as he moved about as Ralph, it looked like a mist almost

Old November 24th, 2008, 10:29 am
Second Year

Quote:
Really?? Wow, that's a dark green
Yeah you would have thought so, but here's the costume itself in a "normal" light and it's surprisingly green (more so that I would have guessed)

One of the ladies interviewed in the costume Drama (linked to above) also mentioned that they made it green even though they knew that most of the scenes would be lit so darkly it would appear black.

I always find it really interesting to see how (not just in HP) the costume, props, special effects depts have to take 1 approach in order to make something look completely different in the shot. A good example is the Lara Croft films..... I was fortunate to be on Pinewood a few years back when they were setting up the set ready one a scene in a cave. The "rock" walls were actually just made from painted polystyrene supported by a wood battening frame.... and in the flesh it looked really really fake.... but when you see it in the film you just can't spot it! Very clever.

Old November 27th, 2008, 12:43 pm
Second Year

Update:
New video added to list above:
http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=Hi4BjmcwMv0

Old November 27th, 2008, 10:08 pm
First Year

Oh yeah, I have that in my favourites from ages ago, lol.
Should have mentioned it.

Also if you watch the making off the dumbledore vs voldemort duel you can see the outfit fairly well.

Image ©2009 A.M.
Old January 8th, 2009, 1:03 am
Third Year

Costume thoughts?

Sorry I wasn't sure where to put this, so I made a wild guess.

I'm considering doing a Molly Weasley from the Hogwarts era costume for Dragon*Con this year and wondered what everyone's thoughts were on what the difference between what they would have worn then compared to what they wear now.

If this is in the wrong place mods, please let me know.

Fan Fic: The Face in the Mirror Always happy to have Feedback
Old January 13th, 2009, 4:35 pm
Second Year

Re: Creating a movie accurate costume

Quote:
I'm considering doing a Molly Weasley from the Hogwarts era costume for Dragon*Con this year and wondered what everyone's thoughts were on what the difference between what they would have worn then compared to what they wear now.

If this is in the wrong place mods, please let me know
I'm not a mod so can't help with moving it but it probably does deserve a post in its own right (not sure if there's a cosplay costum area? I'll have a look to see if I can find one)

Edit:
Might be worth trying this one - I've not read the whole thread but at a quick glance it might be a good place to take a look at:
http://www.cosforums.com/showthread....splay+costumes

Nice idea by the way :-)

Mods - if possible would it be cool to move this as if possible I'd like to keep this thread for "movie accurate" costume discussions - not knocking cosplay, but that probably warrants a thread in its own right :-)

Old January 13th, 2009, 7:43 pm
Third Year

I didn't put it here originally because it wasn't movie specific, but apparently someone felt it was. Thanks tho.

Fan Fic: The Face in the Mirror Always happy to have Feedback
Old January 13th, 2009, 8:58 pm
First Year

Kessa,

I just stumbled in and am impressed with the work you put into everything...I just wanted to let you know.

If at first you donít succeed, destroy all the evidence that you tried.
Old January 15th, 2009, 4:58 pm
Second Year

Quote:
I just stumbled in and am impressed with the work you put into everything...I just wanted to let you know.
Awww, thanks - that's very kind of you.

It's just a shame that as far as Voldemort is concerned it looks like it's never going to turn into anything more than research a - would have been nice, but sadly I just can't get the last (crucial) bits of info I need to make it movie accurate and as it was going to cost in the region of £1,400 to do it right close just isn't good enough. (The wife would kill me!)

Still, I think I have enough info for a movie accurate Lucius so he might see daylight sooner than planned

Old August 3rd, 2009, 1:22 pm
Second Year

Hi Folk,

It's been a while so I thought it was about time for an update.... and also I've got a question which I hope someone may be able to help me with?

Firstly the question...

Whilst I was searching for some more "behind the scenes" (BtS) reference pics the other day I came across a site which had 2 BtS pics which had been cropped and I wondered if anyone may know where I could find the full size pics?

Here's what the cropped pics look like (I've contacted the site owner to see if they can point me in the right direction but no word yet - it could be because it was a Portuguese site and my Portuguese is more than a little rusty! )

(Plus does anyone have any other Behind the Scenes' pics for Voldemort which aren't already in my Flickr album? If so, I'd love to see them )

Right, onto the update:

I cant / won't go into details (as it wouldn't be fair), but I recently heard back from HP films and sadly my request for some info got turned down which was a big blow.

As a result, it means I'm really going to struggle to ensure I get the whole outfit 100% movie accurate. Still, the powers that be have spoken and I've got to respect that and move on.... so looking on the positive side, I love a challange!!!

My biggest problem remains the shoes as you just don't see them in the film and only get to see about 2 frames worth in some of the behind the scenes footage (see my Flickr Album)

- does anyone have any info on these, or maybe some BtS shots?

Also, I got my teeth cast the other day so hopefully picking those up later this week so I'll be able to make a start on creating Voldemort's rather lovely nashers

Still looking for the perfect contact lenses. So far I've managed to find some which are pretty close, but their either too blue or too purple.... so the hunt continues.

Finally, still saving up money for the prosthetics - will have to redo the lifecast as the first one seems to have come out slightly wonky, but I'm going to wait until I've got the teeth done as that will effect the cast anyway.

So there you have it - will let you all know when I've got the teeth sorted as I'll finally have something tangible to show for 18 months of research!

Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > Harry Potter > Muggle Studies