Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > Harry Potter > The Stone

Why was Peter Pettigrew in Gryffindor? v3

Old July 22nd, 2012, 2:28 am
First Year

Re: Why was Peter Pettigrew in Gryffindor? v3

The Sorting Hat doesn't sort people just by their qualities. He considers what the person values. Peter was a coward, but he valued bravery. And that's one of the reasons he was sorted in Gryffindor. And even a coward can grow in to a brave man. Especially if he values the trait. Sadly, Peter remained a coward and took the easy (wrong) route.

Old July 22nd, 2012, 3:32 am
Sixth Year

If Crabbe and Goyle were able to make it to Slytherin despite not demonstrating any ambition or cunning at all, why is it so unbelievable that Pettigrew made it to Gryffindor?

Old July 22nd, 2012, 5:34 am
First Year

Just because Peter turned out to side with Voldemort in his adult life doesn't mean we should doubt why the sorting hat placed him in Gryffindor. First off, he might have actually been a decent person in his Hogwarts days (despite being the "tag along" person of the Marauders). But because we don't really know, why should we wonder why the sorting hat placed him there? Perhaps the sorting hat saw that he had the potential for all the Gryffindor traits.

The thing we all need to remember is that people change. They don't stay the same way forever. I believe this applies to Peter Petigrew. He might have done well as a Gryffindor in his school days, but something changed in him once he betrayed his friends.

Another thing we need to remember is that not all Gryffindors are saints, you know. Some people who were once in Gryffindor even turned over the dark side at some point. It wasn't just people in Slytherin house. I hear people all the time go "Well Peter shouldn't have been in Gryffindor because he betrayed his friends and followed Voldemort." and there's just so much wrong with that statement. The sorting hat isn't a fortune teller. He doesn't sort people based on what they will do later in their lives. He sorts people based on what they value and what house he believes they will succeed the most in.

So overall, Peter might have done well in Gryffindor in his Hogwarts days. But we don't really know much about what he did during that time, but people shouldn't assume he wasn't a good Gryffindor just because in his later life he made a bad choice.

Old October 24th, 2012, 10:59 pm
Third Year

Bravery is usually seen as a good quality because it means the person is able to face their fears. But than even bad people can be brave and I'd say Peter was bad although not exactly evil.
To me, Peter displayed qualities that could be seen as either brave or self-serving or both. I'd say a lot of these things were both: being a spy, cutting off his hand, etc. This could qualify him as either a Slytherin or a Gryffindor and he might have been a hatstall. Maybe he choose to be in Gryffindor, like Harry.
Also, I agree with the concept that the sorting hat could put you in a house, in part, based on what you valued. Peter may have valued bravery because he wanted to be brave.
Finally, the Sorting Hat does sort pretty young. Maybe Peter exhibited the potential to be very brave which is why he was a Gryffindor.

Old October 25th, 2012, 9:00 pm
Second Year

Quote:
Bravery is usually seen as a good quality because it means the person is able to face their fears. But than even bad people can be brave and I'd say Peter was bad although not exactly evil.
To me, Peter displayed qualities that could be seen as either brave or self-serving or both. I'd say a lot of these things were both: being a spy, cutting off his hand, etc. This could qualify him as either a Slytherin or a Gryffindor and he might have been a hatstall. Maybe he choose to be in Gryffindor, like Harry.
Also, I agree with the concept that the sorting hat could put you in a house, in part, based on what you valued. Peter may have valued bravery because he wanted to be brave.
Finally, the Sorting Hat does sort pretty young. Maybe Peter exhibited the potential to be very brave which is why he was a Gryffindor
I do agree with this. Bellatrix was brave too. The trait is generally good but can be seen in negative ways as well. I think Peter was brave to become an animagus too as it was a difficult feat that could have gone terribly wrong . He was not immensly brave though or self sacrificing like some of the brave peopl we know. But he was brave.

Old October 25th, 2012, 11:08 pm
Second Year

Petticrew wasnt brave, but he had the potential to be brave.

Think of Neville - Neville was never brave in the early books, but had the potential to be brave and was certainly one of the stand out character arcs in the books.

Petticrew on the other hand never developed in this way. he shared many similarities with Neville - both were misfits, both relied on "stronger" friends and both had moments of truth (for Petticrew it was the betrayal, for Neville it was when Harry and Ron werent there, he had to lead because it was him or nobody.

Of course, the difference is that we see Nevilles tortured past both first and second hand. Peter however, is relatively one dimensional as we only see him as an antagonist and have little visibilty of his past beyond his time with at hogwarts.

Its an interesting question, but when Petticrew hesitates in killing harry, i saw that as a moment of what could have been for Peter. He had the capacity in him to do what was right but lacked the fortitude (or bravery) throughout the books and indeed, its only an inherent sense of right and wrong that caused him to hesitate in killing harry, not bravery.

Old October 25th, 2012, 11:17 pm
First Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dantedanger View Post
Think of Neville - Neville was never brave in the early books, but had the potential to be brave and was certainly one of the stand out character arcs in the books.
I actually think that Neville was brave since the beginning. Remember that in the end of "Scorcerer's Stone", he tried hopelessly to stop Harry, Ron and Hermione from goint out at night. So his problem in the beginning was simply weakness, not lack of bravery.

As for Peter being on Gryffindor. Maybe we could also consider the simply act of trying to find Voldemort in Albania, an act of bravery. It takes some guts to help a dangerous psychopath into power, who could kill you at any moment. If Pettigrew would have been a total coward, he would just life as a rat in the muggle world for the rest of his life.

Old October 25th, 2012, 11:22 pm
Second Year

Fair point on Neville being brave at the end of Philosophers stone, though this was perhaps more of a foreshaddowing of his potential than a display of genuine bravery. That said, dumbledore does say that you need to be braver to stand up to your friends than your enemies.

Personally I'm not sure i agree with this - i think you have a duty to tell your friends when they are being mental. Neville actually acts out of fear for the damage Harry and co could do to gryfffindor house, rather than it being an actual act of bravery.

its all subjective of course - i guess i just think that Neville had potential to be brave and do brave things (and the example you give may well be a brave action, but for me it was motivated out of fear) and he never really demonstrated genuine bravery in the face of danger until very late on in the series.

ps Bellatrix was brave, without a doubt, in fact, you could take it a step later and say she was fearless and acted without fear for her own well being a she believes wholly in her master.

But you cant deny she is fearless, brave and determined, albeit a horrible person.

ps Bellatrix was brave, without a doubt, in fact, you could take it a step later and say she was fearless and acted without fear for her own well being a she believes wholly in her master.

But you cant deny she is fearless, brave and determined, albeit a horrible person.

Old October 25th, 2012, 11:26 pm
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedy3702 View Post
I actually think that Neville was brave since the beginning. Remember that in the end of "Scorcerer's Stone", he tried hopelessly to stop Harry, Ron and Hermione from goint out at night. So his problem in the beginning was simply weakness, not lack of bravery.
Totally agree about Neville. He was insecure, his grandmother never helped him build his self-confidence. But once he was faced with tough decisions to make, he made them, whatever the cost to himself. He was brave from the beginning, just not assertive and easily cowed.

Quote:
As for Peter being on Gryffindor. Maybe we could also consider the simply act of trying to find Voldemort in Albania, an act of bravery. It takes some guts to help a dangerous psychopath into power, who could kill you at any moment. If Pettigrew would have been a total coward, he would just life as a rat in the muggle world for the rest of his life.
He would have, if he hadn't been found out. Once Dumbledore and the Order knew he was alive, they'd try to find him. He didn't have any other choice than go look for Voldemort, who could protect him. IMO, trying to find V. wasn't an act of bravery, it was an act of necessity in his desperation.

Wormtail betrayed his friends out of cowardice. He cravenly pleaded for his life in the Shrieking Shack. He knew how cruel Voldemort was, but he didn't think he'd kill him. Besides, what choice did he have?

Old October 25th, 2012, 11:39 pm
First Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by LyannaS View Post
He would have, if he hadn't been found out. Once Dumbledore and the Order knew he was alive, they'd try to find him. He didn't have any other choice than go look for Voldemort, who could protect him. IMO, trying to find V. wasn't an act of bravery, it was an act of necessity in his desperation.
He could have simply live as rat in Argentina or somewhere else. I doubt that ayone would find him there. But by helping Voldemort back into power, he just ended up putting himself in danger. Because Voldemort never had any scruples in killing his own followers when he was mad at them. So there is always a big risk to be around him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LyannaS View Post
Wormtail betrayed his friends out of cowardice. He cravenly pleaded for his life in the Shrieking Shack. He knew how cruel Voldemort was, but he didn't think he'd kill him. Besides, what choice did he have?
I don't know for sure if Wormtail betrayed his friends out of cowardice. I think it was more opportunism. He thought that Voldemort represented the winning side on the war and that if he would give him the Potters, he would have something to gain from it. But I totally agree that when he was pleading for his life in the Shrieking Shack it was pure cowardice.

Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > Harry Potter > The Stone