Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > Diagon Alley > Sports

The NFL Football Thread v2

Old February 1st, 2008, 5:50 pm
Curse Breaker

Re: The NFL Football Thread v2

Same here. I have a sentimental attachment to records that Montana and Young set. Particularly, most TDs passes in a Super Bowl, most consecutive completions, most pionts scored, and largest margin of victory. However, I'd grin broadly and enjoy party food if Brady & Co. smashed every one of those on Sunday. Of course, that'll never happen--as stated above. But it's a nice dream. It should be noted that the last time the Giants made the Super Bowl, they had the single worst day offensively in the title game. Their only score was a kickoff return.

No worries. No spoilers here.
Sponsored Links
Old February 3rd, 2008, 8:22 pm
Custodian of Hades Vault

Well, the pregame coverage has already started .

Being a complete fan here: GO PATS!!!

Sadly, I think that this game will be interesting far longer than I would hope for as a fan of one of the teams .

In case I forget: Opinions posted in the US Political Discussion forum are posted as a member and not as a moderator

Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask and he will tell you the truth. - Oscar Wilde

We're all human, aren't we? Every human life is worth the same, and worth saving. - Kingsley

Sustainability should be a part of what we do every day.
Old February 4th, 2008, 12:28 am
Second Year

Time to go. The Giants just scored their first of hopefully several victories tonight by winning the coin toss and will receive the opening kickoff.

Update:
Patriots lead 7-3 at halftime. While the Giants are trailing, I'm quite pleased with the way the game is going so far. The Giants have executed their gameplan where nobody else has been able to do so this season- I can count on one hand the number of plays in which Tom Brady has had enough time to get off a good throw, and the Patriots running game is non-existent. On the other side of the ball, the Giants' pass protection has been very good. With their balanced offense, I expect to see the Giants open up their playbook a bit more in the second half- maybe throw in a few play-action passes.

I'm not a Harry Potter addict. I choose to go to conventions, theme parks, book release parties and movie premiers and to spend hundreds of dollars per year on licensed merchandise. Continuously reading, discussing and analyzing the books is simply a hobby. I can stop any time I want to. No, I really mean it. Seriously. Addicts can't stop. That's the difference between me and an addict.

GalleonSickle4 on Pottermore
Wand- 13" Beech and Dragon Heartstring, unbending
Proud student of House

Last edited by TheLastHorcrux; February 4th, 2008 at 2:07 am.
Old February 4th, 2008, 2:20 am
Third Year

Giants DL is killing the Pats OL

Old February 4th, 2008, 3:12 am
Second Year

Giants defense still smothering Tom Brady and the offense is starting to show some life. Giants lead 10-7 in the 4th.

Update:
One word- Wow.

Giants win!!!
Final score 17-14

I'm not a Harry Potter addict. I choose to go to conventions, theme parks, book release parties and movie premiers and to spend hundreds of dollars per year on licensed merchandise. Continuously reading, discussing and analyzing the books is simply a hobby. I can stop any time I want to. No, I really mean it. Seriously. Addicts can't stop. That's the difference between me and an addict.

Proud student of House

Last edited by TheLastHorcrux; February 4th, 2008 at 4:06 am.
Old February 4th, 2008, 4:23 am
First Year

That game was amazing! What was it, the last minute, when the Giants scored the winning touchdown! Incredible finish, and I don't feel bad for the Patriots' tainted perfect year!

"The world is 63 years old."
Old February 4th, 2008, 4:26 am
Fifth Year

Congrats to the Giants.

I believe in a hill called Mount Calvary.
Old February 4th, 2008, 4:31 am
Second Year

Congrats to the Giants for their Super Bowl championship. I was hoping they would win, but I never actually expected it to happen. Eli Manning is MVP. I think he may finally gain acceptance from the fans in New York. That final drive will be a part of the highlight reels for years. I would have given co-MVP honors to the entire defensive line though. They were awesome for the whole game.

Proud student of House
Old February 4th, 2008, 4:42 am
do you want fries with that?

I was rooting for the Patriot's, but really they didnt play well at all. I think the Giant's definitely deserved the win, as they just played much better than the Patriots. And Eli Manning deserves the MVP recognition, hopefully he'll gain more support and acceptance from it and the entire game.

The Next Mesut Özil

(Although we must ignore the jersey)
Old February 4th, 2008, 4:42 am
Third Year

Wow.

Old February 4th, 2008, 4:47 am
Custodian of Hades Vault

Totally agree with the D-line deserving co-MVP. They totally owned our O-line. And Plax made the one play that was needed. Pats lost fair and square - congrats to the Giants, you earned it .

In case I forget: Opinions posted in the US Political Discussion forum are posted as a member and not as a moderator

Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask and he will tell you the truth. - Oscar Wilde

We're all human, aren't we? Every human life is worth the same, and worth saving. - Kingsley

Sustainability should be a part of what we do every day.
Old February 4th, 2008, 5:55 am
Curse Breaker

Pats lost--and the D-line played the game of their lives--but I wouldn't go so far as fair and square. I saw that offensive pass interference on that 32-yard completion that happened right in front of the official who totally spaced on it.

By the way--the MVP really should have gone to a defensive player or to David Tyree. He made two good plays and one unbeliveable Tyrone Prothro-type catch. Samuel will probably remember that pass hitting him in the hands when he goes on the market for big free agent money and Brandon Merriweather--well, that great catch Tyree made was possible because it bounced off his chest. While I mourn the loss--particularly when the losing quarterback outplayed the winning one--I'm not all that angry. I harbor hope--maybe it's a fool's hope and maybe it isn't--that the Pats will be back next year, better and more motivated than this year. I have to say, that game reminded me so much of the 1990-91 NFC Title game. Congratulations to Spagnulo (or however you spell his name) on a truly masterfully planned game, I think he might have just won the unenviable job of keeping Daniel Snider happy. About the Giants' D-line play--as sad or miffed as I might be that the Patriots lost a game they deserve to win, I'm pleased about Justin Tuck's part in it. He did the Fightin' Irish proud, particularly with that strip in the last two minutes of the first half. If that doesn't happen, it might be a totally different ballgame--at least with initial outlook in the second half.

Old February 4th, 2008, 6:09 am
Second Year

The play on the final drive where Manning somehow escaped being sacked and got the pass off to David Tyree was simply amazing. I still can't figure out how he caught that. Tom Brady looked as uncomfortable in the pocket as I think I've ever seen him in any game. He was sacked several times and rushed countless times more. Teams have known all year that they have to rush Tom Brady if they want to beat the Patriots, but the Giants are the first team that has actually been able to do it. In terms of seeing an exciting game, this was the best Super Bowl in a long time. They usually don't come down to the final drive like that.

As an added bonus, this was the first time in years that I have actually enjoyed the halftime show. I'm glad they finally decided to go with a good musician.

Proud student of House
Old February 4th, 2008, 7:03 am
Second Year

Congrats to the Giants. While I was going for the Patriots, I really had no problem with either team winning. I guess I just wanted to see 19-0.

Anyway, that was an amazing game. One of the best Super Bowls I've watched in a while, and this is saying something considering I'm a Steelers fan.

I agree with everyone, Brady looked uncomfortable all night. I think they put it together when it mattered on their last scoring drive. I just couldn't believe he could take that all night, and then come out and do that. I thought the game was over.

Especially thought it was over when Manning apparantly got sacked. Then what do you know, he gets away, throws a bomb down the field, and the reciever makes an impossible catch. I couldn't believe what I was watching.

I somehow thought that Brady was gonna get them down the field for the tie. I didn't agree with them taking those shots like they did. Randy Moss is good, but come on, the Giants knew that was coming.

I somehow get the feeling that the Patriots coach may have wanted that decision to go for it on 4th down earlier in the 4th back. If they had taken the field goal their, we may have had OT.

Again, congrats to the Giants and all their fans. I'm really happy to see both Peyton and Eli get their rings. Now I'm kind of hoping for a Giants-Patriots rematch next season, or maybe Giants-Colts. Now that would be fun!

Old February 4th, 2008, 2:04 pm
Zonko's Employee

Quote:
Originally Posted by chparadise View Post
Totally agree with the D-line deserving co-MVP. They totally owned our O-line. And Plax made the one play that was needed. Pats lost fair and square - congrats to the Giants, you earned it .

Old February 4th, 2008, 6:05 pm
Registered Animagus

Giants were definitely the best team last night! Tom Brady didn't have a chance most of the times and a lot of the times when he threw the ball, it went nowhere! Especially that last drive. Giants Defense had the best game of their lives last night!

Nail-biting edge-of-your-seat last few minutes of the game! I cheered a LOUD WOOHOO when Plaxico scored that last touchdown. Brilliant plays on that last Giants' offensive drive.

And this game was the Patriots' worst of the game in more than one way. Alot of their game stats were the lowest of the year! Wow...

CONGRATZ GIANTS!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JediMasterSnape View Post
Especially thought it was over when Manning apparantly got sacked. Then what do you know, he gets away, throws a bomb down the field, and the reciever makes an impossible catch. I couldn't believe what I was watching.
I think everybody watching the game thought he was sacked! The announcers thought he was sacked! Amazing play! That is one reason why Eli got MVP right there!

Last edited by Fury; February 4th, 2008 at 6:08 pm.
Old February 4th, 2008, 7:23 pm
Second Year

Interesting trivia fact for all the Patriots fans and anyone else who is interested- 6 of the last 7 teams to lose the Super Bowl failed to make the playoffs the following year. ('00-'01 Giants, '01-'02 Rams, '02-'03 Raiders, '03-'04 Panthers, '04-'05 Eagles, '06-'07 Bears) The exception was the annual one-and-done Seattle Seahawks. I doubt the Patriots will join that group, but its something to think about.

One of the analysts on SportsCenter (can't remember which one) summarized last night's game the best. He said that the Patriots have been the bully on the playground all season, but the Giants decided to fight back by becoming a bigger and meaner bully.

Proud student of House
Old February 5th, 2008, 12:31 am
Second Year

I reckon the reason the Patriots lost is because of the pass rush of New York. They were the only team in the league to have a chance to beat them

Old February 5th, 2008, 7:08 am
Second Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alicks
I reckon the reason the Patriots lost is because of the pass rush of New York. They were the only team in the league to have a chance to beat them
Yeah that was pretty much it. The Giants' D-line dominated the line of scrimmage on nearly every play. I expected the Giants to be able to occasionally penetrate Brady's protection, but I did NOT expect it to happen so consistently.

I wouldn't go so far as to say the Giants were the only team in the NFL with a chance of beating New England, but they were the first that successfully executed a gameplan. The biggest thing was the fact that the Giants refused to be intimidated by the Pats. I think a lot of the teams that the Pats beat earlier in the year had already beaten themselves in their minds even before the opening kickoff. The slogan for this year's Super Bowl was "Who wants it more?" It was clear on Sunday who wanted it more.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JediMasterSnape
I somehow get the feeling that the Patriots coach may have wanted that decision to go for it on 4th down earlier in the 4th back. If they had taken the field goal their, we may have had OT.
I was a bit surprised by that call too, but I think he realized how much trouble his offense was having moving the ball and thought he may not get that close to a touchdown again, so he took the gamble. Obviously it didn't pay off.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JediMasterSnape
Again, congrats to the Giants and all their fans. I'm really happy to see both Peyton and Eli get their rings. Now I'm kind of hoping for a Giants-Patriots rematch next season, or maybe Giants-Colts. Now that would be fun!
Giants-Colts would be fun, and not just because I'm a Colts fan. It would be the Manning Bowl all over again, but unlike the 2006 season opener it would actually mean something.

It's now official that this year's Super Bowl had the highest TV ratings of any sporting event in history, and was 2nd only to the series finale of M.A.S.H. as the highest rated TV broadcast in history.

Proud student of House
Old February 5th, 2008, 5:29 pm
Curse Breaker

If I could just interject here. Eli "avoiding" the sack was impressive, but Tyree's catch was twice as impressive. That pass got tipped and almost picked (twice) and Tyree outfought Harrison for the ball making a one-armed catch. Lynn Swann couldn't do it any better. When Eli let it go, it was a prayer. When Tyree caught it, it was a miracle. Frankly Tyree should have gottten more consideration for offensive MVP. At the very least, Burress and Manning owe him free dinner for the rest of his time in New York (particularly since Burress biffed what would have been an easy putaway touchdown on the previous drive and Manning threw another ball that came within an inch of being a game-sealing pick by Asante Samuel before Tyree's reception).

I think I'd throw up if Giants-Colts happened anywhere but in the regular season.

Now the question will be, how will the Pats come back from this. They came back with a mission and a purpose after blowing a huge lead in the AFC title game in '06. This time, they lost a hard-fought game they should have won, and their concentration wasn't there. Belechik had to scream at them to get them to concentrate in practice during Super Bowl week. I think they relaxed after beating the Chargers, figuring it was in the bag. It looks like they might have one more level of focus in them. If they keep the band together and stay helathy, they might take one last run at shutting Mercury Morris up.

I guarantee you that IF the situation recurs, they'll be out to destroy whoever they end up facing in the Super Bowl. Please note the if in the statement before firing back at me, Colts, Giants, and Steelers fans. I'm not taking the regular season or the playoffs for granted, but it looks like they have enough talent to take another run, if they have the desire. Frankly, I hope they do it. For three reasons

1. It'd be nice to see Mercury Morris have to shut up.
2. It would be the ultimate capper to the Pats dynasty.
3. I've seen and heard interviews given by the Baltimore Colts who lost Super Bowl III and how that haunts them four decades later. I don't want that to be the lasting taste in Seau's mouth. He's a class act--most of the members of that team are class acts, and deserve that summit of accomplishment.

Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > Diagon Alley > Sports