Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > Diagon Alley > Sports

The NFL Football Thread v2

Old February 7th, 2011, 5:06 am
Fifth Year

Re: The NFL Football Thread v2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fury View Post
Packers Win. Aw rats!

It was a pretty good game. Wish the Steelers had a better last drive, but ah well.
I missed the last drive because my satellite lost the channel. Gotta love DirecTV.

I believe in a hill called Mount Calvary.
Sponsored Links
Old February 7th, 2011, 1:30 pm
Curse Breaker

Ben R. air-mailed passes on the last set of downs. Pleased that the Packers won. Owners--Please note the number of serious injuries sustained in that game and drop this stupid 18-game plan. Unless you intend to make the preseason two games long (and even if you are) this is sheer lunacy and greed. We're making 5 billion but we want 10. RIDICULOUS. Nice to see that they won't be coronating "Big Ben" as a sure-fire Hall of Famer and you can't say--it was a terrible stat-line but he was the MVP anyway (what they said after that AFC Championship against the Jets). You have Brady, Peyton, Rogers, Brees and *gag*Rivers*gag* as the elite quarterbacks in this league. Those are the ones folks. Congratulations to the Packers. The Ghost of #4 has been banished to retirement. Now let's get that CBA done. Ridiculous that the reps for both sides spent about a QUARTER the time negotiating as the Hall of Fame voters did in their debates (and Cris Carter, Tim Brown, and Bettis didn't even make the final 10). Seriously, what's the story with Cris Carter? He totally rebuilt himself in Minnesota, built up great stats, was a leader on one great and a couple good teams. He was a good temmate, didn't have off-the-field issues after he got his life back together, didn't have a reputation like Moss or Owens or Watters (or even Irvin). Is that idiotic Buddy Ryan soundbyte really all anyone remembers? They ridiculed that for almost a DECADE every week on NFL Primetime. Doesn't make sense to me. I have personal bias in favor of Bettis and Brown but they're both worthy.

ETA--I'm hearing a small amount of noise that the Black-Eyed Peas underwhelmed as the halftime show. They were shrill, they were tentative, they were off-key in places. They had mike issues. All of those things are manifestly true. And yet, this was still easily the best halftime show in a decade. The Who were shells of themselves. The Stones were terrible. Sir Paul put everyone to sleep. It's been since '02 that there's been a good halftime show and really great halftime shows were RARE! It wasn't until the mid-'90s that the halftime show was an extravaganza that was worth the time. Believe me, I have tapes of Pete Fountain, marching bands, a fake riverboat float and Peanuts characters to prove that as late as 1990 these things were festivals of the clownish and corny. They're judging these things on a standard that never existed.

No worries. No spoilers here.

Last edited by jordmundt6; February 7th, 2011 at 4:28 pm.
Old February 7th, 2011, 7:26 pm
Sixth Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by jordmundt6 View Post
Ben R. air-mailed passes on the last set of downs. Pleased that the Packers won. Owners--Please note the number of serious injuries sustained in that game and drop this stupid 18-game plan. Unless you intend to make the preseason two games long (and even if you are) this is sheer lunacy and greed. We're making 5 billion but we want 10. RIDICULOUS.
Yes, 18 games sound fun - but realistically, it's a horrible idea. Take note of how many players are on the Packers IR. We had about 3 or 4 injuries just in this one game. I can't imagine them tacking on 2 actual real games. And, of course, 4 preseason + 16 regular season games are not the same 2 preseason +18 regular games.

Quote:
ETA--I'm hearing a small amount of noise that the Black-Eyed Peas underwhelmed as the halftime show. They were shrill, they were tentative, they were off-key in places. They had mike issues. All of those things are manifestly true. And yet, this was still easily the best halftime show in a decade. The Who were shells of themselves. The Stones were terrible. Sir Paul put everyone to sleep. It's been since '02 that there's been a good halftime show and really great halftime shows were RARE! It wasn't until the mid-'90s that the halftime show was an extravaganza that was worth the time. Believe me, I have tapes of Pete Fountain, marching bands, a fake riverboat float and Peanuts characters to prove that as late as 1990 these things were festivals of the clownish and corny. They're judging these things on a standard that never existed.
I was too young to witness these older Super Bowl's firsthand, but I've seen video and footage from previous Super Bowls. And I agree - what standard did they expect this half time to meet? It seems that there are few half times that actually have decent shows.

Pottermore: SnidgetCharm86
Old February 8th, 2011, 12:34 am
Zonko's Employee

Quote:
Originally Posted by magic_is_might View Post
YES!

Sloppy football played on both sides, but I think Steelers made more mistake and that's what lost them the game. But I give A LOT of credit to the Steelers - they stepped it up in the 2nd half and had me on the edge of my seat till the last play.

But I'm glad to be on the winning side of it!

I am so happy for you!!!!!!!

Old February 8th, 2011, 1:47 pm
Curse Breaker

Yes, we're pleased for the Packer faithful. Now, on to the CBA. Let's hope common sense can conquer greed on a grand scale (for once).

Old February 9th, 2011, 7:48 am
The Next Great Adventurer

Quote:
ETA--I'm hearing a small amount of noise that the Black-Eyed Peas underwhelmed as the halftime show. They were shrill, they were tentative, they were off-key in places. They had mike issues. All of those things are manifestly true. And yet, this was still easily the best halftime show in a decade.
Have to disagree. The Sptingsteen show was far better, especially considering the amount of material he crammed into 12 minutes (normally he wouldn't get two songs into that window in a normal live performance).

Quote:
Originally Posted by magic_is_might View Post
Yes, 18 games sound fun - but realistically, it's a horrible idea. Take note of how many players are on the Packers IR. We had about 3 or 4 injuries just in this one game. I can't imagine them tacking on 2 actual real games. And, of course, 4 preseason + 16 regular season games are not the same 2 preseason +18 regular games.
Poor babies. 18 matches.

A top level NRL (Australian rugby league) player has a few pre-season matches an All-Stars game, a 24 game season, six week finals, three State of Origins, a mid-year test against NZ and a four-week international series (in non-World Cup years).

The first pre-season matches were last weekend and the last Four Nations will be in November.

And they do it without padding, helmets or time outs.

A patriot is someone who wants the best for his country, including the best laws and the best ideals. It's something other people should call you -- you shouldn't call yourself that. People who call themselves patriots are usually liars. -- Donald Woods

You got what anybody gets . . . You got a lifetime. -- Death of the Endless
Old February 9th, 2011, 3:37 pm
Curse Breaker

And I bet they're not stupid enough to lead with their heads or go for crippling tackles. Sorry I forgot about The Boss. He must have been the exception. Which halftime show was that? Soccer is also a year-round sport without padding, helmets or timeouts. Hits can be vicious (nowhere near so bad as NRL, but still vicious) and the stamina and speed required for top-level competition is truly awe-inspiring.

Old February 9th, 2011, 4:00 pm
The Next Great Adventurer

Quote:
And I bet they're not stupid enough to lead with their heads or go for crippling tackles.
They usually lead with their shoulders. And as for crippling tackles, a few samplers:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=66wK9zAppHc

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WnEk2iAg8Ls

and so on.

Quote:
Sorry I forgot about The Boss. He must have been the exception. Which halftime show was that?
2009 I think

A patriot is someone who wants the best for his country, including the best laws and the best ideals. It's something other people should call you -- you shouldn't call yourself that. People who call themselves patriots are usually liars. -- Donald Woods

You got what anybody gets . . . You got a lifetime. -- Death of the Endless
Old February 10th, 2011, 3:16 am
Sixth Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by flimseycauldron View Post
I am so happy for you!!!!!!!
Thank you - I'm very happy right now

Old February 13th, 2011, 2:40 pm
First Year

Hey, I love football. Favorite team is the Jaguars, but am also a big Packers fan!

Old February 16th, 2011, 7:35 am
Second Year

The Packers are amazing! Born and raised in Wisconsin for these glorious 22 years of my life! Although the entirity of the 3rd quarter in XLV nearly gave me a heart attack and had me aching to run to the fridge for a nice brew...(I will not lie)...they did not disappoint! They are by far, (in my opinion) one of the best young teams in the NFL. Rodger's carried us beautifully all season. He has definitely made all of us Cheese Heads utter the words, "Brett who?". I eagerly anticipate the comings of next season and seeing where we may land! Way to go on bringing home Lombardi my boys! He's home, home at last!

As for all of the political matters in the NFL...let us hope that greed and control do not take over the reason we watch 20 weekends out of the year....for the love of the game!

From beginning to end, I shall say it again. Twas nice to be amongst the most dearest of friends.-Brynn Ashleigh '11
Old February 18th, 2011, 11:31 pm
First Year

PATRIOTS all the way. Although 9ers are pretty aewsome too, Haraubagh will lead them to the super bowl

Old March 11th, 2011, 11:19 pm
Zonko's Employee

Quote:
Originally Posted by dobbydear15 View Post
As for all of the political matters in the NFL...let us hope that greed and control do not take over the reason we watch 20 weekends out of the year....for the love of the game!

Looks like that request was not heard unfortunately.

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/N...-owners-031111

Old March 12th, 2011, 1:03 am
Sixth Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by flimseycauldron View Post
Looks like that request was not heard unfortunately.

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/N...-owners-031111

Disappointing

Old March 16th, 2011, 8:18 pm
First Year

I hope the NFL returns.

Old March 16th, 2011, 8:49 pm
Second Year

I believe it will...at least it better! What else am I going to do on Sundays in the fall?! (Even some saturdays whilst the play-offs are on)

From beginning to end, I shall say it again. Twas nice to be amongst the most dearest of friends.-Brynn Ashleigh '11
Old March 16th, 2011, 10:48 pm
Registered Animagus

Chad Ochocinco To Tryout For Kansas City Soccer Team

http://www.kmbc.com/sports/27214722/detail.html?qs=2

Awesome!!!

Old April 20th, 2011, 4:49 am
Sixth Year

For those who care, the schedule for this coming season was released.

Schedule

Now, all we need is an agreement to be made so we can actually have a season this year.

If we do have a season, the season will kick-off with Saints @ Packers on September 8th.

Last edited by magic_is_might; April 20th, 2011 at 4:52 am.
Old April 20th, 2011, 5:08 am
Registered Animagus

Chiefs have two Monday night games this year! Halloween vs. Chargers will be fun!

I was watching the ESPN special about the schedules, and they brought up how weird it is to have schedules released with it isn't clear whether there will be a season or not.

Old April 20th, 2011, 7:30 am
Sixth Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fury View Post

I was watching the ESPN special about the schedules, and they brought up how weird it is to have schedules released with it isn't clear whether there will be a season or not.
Yeah - I agree. Maybe because they want to be prepared and ready if they do come to an agreement.

But if we didn't have a season, would they just roll the schedule over the next year, if we had a season then...?

Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > Diagon Alley > Sports