Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > Harry Potter > Muggle Studies

What do you have to explain to your friends and family who only see the movies?

Old September 27th, 2011, 6:40 am
First Year

Re: What do you have to explain to your friends and family who only see the movies?

Quote:
Originally Posted by decarus View Post
The more i hear about people that thought Snape was Harry's dad the more i realize what an epic failure the film was. It just did not make sense in my opinion.
I think Harry's questioning of Dumbledore in regards to Snape and Lily sharing the form of a doe as their Patronus gave rise to the misnomer of Snape being Harry's father.

Harry Potter: "Professor, my mother's Patronus was a doe, wasn't it? It's the same as Professor Snape's. It's curious, don't you think?"
Dumbledore: "Actually, if I think about it, it doesn't seem curious at all."

Professor Severus Snape - brooding, detached, sarcastic, misanthropic, indomitable, complex, enigmatic. PERFECT. The embodiment of a writer's beautiful but damned dream man. "...a gift of a character" - J.K. Rowling

"The mind is not a book, to be opened at will and examined at leisure...The mind is a complex and many-layered thing."

"Would you like me to do it now? Or would you like a few moments to compose an epitaph?"

"And my soul, Dumbledore? Mine?"
---
Pottermore : StormElm168 - House: Gryffindor
Sponsored Links
Old September 27th, 2011, 11:12 am
First Year

Re: What do you have to explain to your friends and family who only see the movies?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Williwaw View Post
I think Harry's questioning of Dumbledore in regards to Snape and Lily sharing the form of a doe as their Patronus gave rise to the misnomer of Snape being Harry's father.

Harry Potter: "Professor, my mother's Patronus was a doe, wasn't it? It's the same as Professor Snape's. It's curious, don't you think?"
yes this was the scene i was thinking of that lead people to believe that snape was harrys father, i mean although it never lead me to believe this id like to know what people who have read the book thought harry meant when he asked this question to dumbledore?

Old September 27th, 2011, 12:59 pm
Registered Animagus

Quote:

I agree. I think it was this scene in combination with the Prince's Tale that made people think that Snape was Harry's father.

And i have no idea what they meant by that question in the film. I guess they meant that Snape loved her so their patronuses would be the same, but i don't think that stands to reason. I mean Ron and Hermione love each other and their patronuses aren't the same.

Old September 27th, 2011, 1:34 pm
Snidget of Champions

Quote:
Originally Posted by decarus
And i have no idea what they meant by that question in the film. I guess they meant that Snape loved her so their patronuses would be the same, but i don't think that stands to reason. I mean Ron and Hermione love each other and their patronuses aren't the same.
I, too, found that exchange very odd because Harry's, "It's curious, don't you think?" seems, to me, very suggestive of something beyond the obvious. And I think that is where the confusion lies. I think most viewers would have understood Harry's meaning if he just said, "Professor, my mother's Patronus was a doe, wasn't it? It's the same as Professor Snape's." After seeing Snape produce the doe in the Prince's Tale, I think it was fairly clear that Snape loved Lily, and Harry's statement simply links the two Patronuses together. But by adding "it's curious," I think it befuddled viewers into thinking that is must have been more than the one-sided love that it was. They were presented with a one-sided love on Snape's end, but then Harry's "it's curious" remark and Dumbledore's ambiguous answer, I think, likely frazzled the minds of those unfamiliar to the story. It seems like an unnecessary twist when a more blatant question/answer would have been more fitting, in my opinion.

And I also do not see what was supposed to be accomplished with that line. Why be so ambiguous? As rogue_bludger says, what was Harry really asking? As I see it, for Harry it was not "curious." Harry knew the facts; he knew that Snape loved Lily, and that his doe Patronus reflected that. So why did Harry perceive it as "curious" when he knew everything? Perhaps he was looking for confirmation from Dumbledore, or elaboration. Perhaps he was slyly accusing Dumbledore of withholding the information of Snape's love for Lily from him for so long. I am just glad that my friends and family with whom I saw the film had all read the books, so they did not need explanation from me! If they had, I think I would have tried my best (as above), but just dismissed it as a poorly executed exchange by the filmmakers.

A Place to Gather Post-Closing: Please check out the unofficial CoS Students LiveJournal page to keep in touch with CoS members after the forums close: http://cos-students.livejournal.com
WalnutFirebolt138
Old September 27th, 2011, 1:39 pm
First Year

Quote:
I didn't understand why Harry came back to life in the film either because they didn't give a reason why he wasn't just dead.
from what i gathered the reason harry was able to return was because voldermort destroyed the horcrux in harry when he fired the killing curse at him which sent harry into a limbo state because something inside of harry was sent to die, and with harry now separated from the destroyed horcrux harry was free to return to life, thats the impression i got, i think they went for a more simplified version of events not mentioning the blood connection, but also left it for the viewer to put the pieces together as to why he could return, you just have to work them out, like harry being the master of the elder wand

Last edited by rogue_bludger; September 27th, 2011 at 1:51 pm.
Old September 27th, 2011, 4:38 pm
Second Year

I know I've already posted but after watching DH1 with my mum (who still thinks Fawkes is Dumbledore transfigured into an Owl - She didn't know he was a phoenix) I felt like crying. During the Dark Lord Ascending scene she asked "Does Darth Vader know Snape is working for Dumbledore". That pretty much summed up the rest of the viewing...

Twitter - @NiallJAdams
Old September 27th, 2011, 9:39 pm
Second Year

Quote:

That must be it, yeah.

I talked to a girl in one of my classes today, and this issue came up.
She hasn't read the last few books and did indeed think Snape was Harry's dad, or at least, that the movie left room for interpretation. I told her the book left no room for interpretating it that way and she wondered if that didn't bother me. She preferred this sort of open ended way of thinking about Harry's dad. That surprised me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by potter_gleek View Post
I know I've already posted but after watching DH1 with my mum (who still thinks Fawkes is Dumbledore transfigured into an Owl - She didn't know he was a phoenix) I felt like crying. During the Dark Lord Ascending scene she asked "Does Darth Vader know Snape is working for Dumbledore". That pretty much summed up the rest of the viewing...

Hilarious! Probably annoying when you're watching the movie with her though, I guess?

Wand: Larch, Unicorn Core, 10 3/4, Slightly Yielding
Old September 30th, 2011, 4:18 am
First Year

"No, Snape is not Harry's father."
I really wish they wouldn't have left so much out of the last two movies...

Old September 30th, 2011, 6:55 am
First Year

Snape's not Harry's father, but I confess I do rather like fan-fiction that has a decent reason it might have been that way.

Anyway. I can't think of anything super specific at the moment, but my boyfriend has only seen the movies so far and we've talked about the HP universe. He frequently has...conversational points or complaints about how "simple" something seems, and I have to tell him a lot that it really IS explained quite well in the book, but the movie leaves a lot out. Out of necessity, I'm sure, but it does make it difficult to appreciate some of the depth and complexity.

Old September 30th, 2011, 1:02 pm
Registered Animagus

I don't think it is fan fiction that people think Snape is Harry's father. If they thought that then that is how they are going to see the film. To then tell them after the fact that he isn't i am sure is somehow disappointing to people. Because they thought they understood the big revel of the film.

Old October 4th, 2011, 4:47 am
Second Year

No, I think Lillielle means fictional stories fans have written about the HP universe, which can deviate from the books if the author wants. That doesn't mean the author actually thinks it's the truth, just that he or she can imagine a world where it is.

Old October 4th, 2011, 4:54 am
Registered Animagus

I don't. I think they are equating what a significant people thought to fan fiction which i don't see. I am sure it was a disappointment.

Old October 8th, 2011, 1:38 am
Second Year

Quote:
I agree. I think it was this scene in combination with the Prince's Tale that made people think that Snape was Harry's father.

Judging by the book's point of view. A Patronus is produced by a happy memory... Snape had a bad childhood and the only person who was always there for him was Lily (until that day...) so Lily was Snape's only Happy memory that produced that doe for him.

Old October 8th, 2011, 1:44 am
Fourth Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by potter_gleek View Post
I just now read this, and going back through the films, I've gotta say: That is one mighty odd-looking owl.

Cornets acoustiques et de glace!

Pottermore Beta Tester, First Batch (2011-08-15)
ChaserQuaffle211
Ravenclaw (about what I expected)
14-1/2 inches, redwood with phoenix feather core, brittle
Russian blue cat
Old October 9th, 2011, 3:58 am
First Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by featherfish81 View Post
No, I think Lillielle means fictional stories fans have written about the HP universe, which can deviate from the books if the author wants. That doesn't mean the author actually thinks it's the truth, just that he or she can imagine a world where it is.
Yep. I've read many well-written stories where it could have been the case in an alternate universe. Obviously, it wasn't, but I think the fact, too, that so many people who only saw the movies could see it happening makes it more plausible as a fanfiction plot bunny!

Old October 10th, 2011, 12:09 am
Third Year

One thing I had to explain to my mom (who actually did read the books when they were released) was the reason Harry didn't die. She didn't make the connection between the Master of Death (owner of all three hallows) and Harry's "choice" in the train station scene with Dumbledore. I wish they had taken a couple of moments to touch on this during the movie. After having explained all of the hallows, it wouldn't have taken more than a single line to clear it up.

Thank you, COS, for the last 16 years. I’m so happy to see you’re still around.
Old October 17th, 2011, 9:50 pm
Second Year

@potter_gleek: OH MY GOD. I laughed so hard about your movie experiences with your mom. Brilliant. It would have looked exactly like that if I had taken my mom or my sister.

The one questions that you get from almost everyone who hasn't read hte books is: why did Harry live and not die? How did he become a horcrux?
And I also think there is a major lack of hallows explanation in the movie. I mean most movie goers didn't realize that Harry was the Master of Death.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrSleepyHead View Post
As rogue_bludger says, what was Harry really asking? As I see it, for Harry it was not "curious." Harry knew the facts; he knew that Snape loved Lily, and that his doe Patronus reflected that. So why did Harry perceive it as "curious" when he knew everything? Perhaps he was looking for confirmation from Dumbledore, or elaboration.
This is such a good question though and I loved reading your explanation because I always thought that it was more of a request of Harry to have Dumbledore elaborate on the whole patronus thing. Because I think that maybe wanted to know why exactly Snape's patronus is equal to Lily's. As someone else pointed out, Ron and Hermione are in love and their patronus isn't the same and James's patronus wasn't the same as Lily so I think that primarily Harry wanted Dumbledore to explain?! How exactly that happened and all that.

Old October 18th, 2011, 2:23 am
First Year

I went to The Half-Blood Price premire with a friend who OBVIOSLY hadn't read any of the books. When Snape came on screen she whispered to me "who's he?" and She had no idea that harry's parents were dead. She said though that the part with the "Zombies" was cool :3

Old March 13th, 2013, 8:29 pm
Second Year

I had to explain:
Why Harry did not die in the forest.
The Deathly Hallows.
The meaning of Snape’s patronus and why a patronus changes, and so I had to explain also about Tonks in HBP.
Many things about the final of DH Part 2.
The full names of Harry’s children, because my brother in law was disappointed by the fact that Harry named his son after Dumbledore and Snape.

However, when I saw PoA, a friend of mine had to give to me explanations, and in my case it was worse, because in addition to not having yet read the books, I had not even seen the other movies.

Old March 15th, 2013, 9:23 am
Second Year

Having just watched DH2, my thoughts are that Harry was curious about Snape's love for Lilly and how it had lasted until the moment he died.

Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > Harry Potter > Muggle Studies