Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > Harry Potter > Muggle Studies

Movie mistakes

Old February 19th, 2010, 11:44 pm
Assistant to Professor Snape

Re: Movie mistakes

I'm not sure if this has been mentioned before, but in the HBP film, the spelling of the spell "Sectumsempra" in the Half-Blood Prince's potions book has an extra "p" in the middle, but it is not spelt like that in the book. I can't think why they would add a "p".

Spoiler: show

I have just checked and the second time we see the name of the spell written in the potions book, it is spelt as it is in the books, minus the extra "p".

Last edited by TreacleTartlet; February 20th, 2010 at 12:06 am.
Sponsored Links
Old February 20th, 2010, 2:15 am
Second Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by TreacleTartlet View Post
I'm not sure if this has been mentioned before, but in the HBP film, the spelling of the spell "Sectumsempra" in the Half-Blood Prince's potions book has an extra "p" in the middle, but it is not spelt like that in the book. I can't think why they would add a "p".

I have just checked and the second time we see the name of the spell written in the potions book, it is spelt as it is in the books, minus the extra "p".

Hmm, interesting how it is in two different places and with very different handwriting as well.

Old February 20th, 2010, 6:21 pm
Zonko's Employee

The Sectumsempra scribbles are both in different places in the book so perhaps this was Snape's process of correcting and perfecting the spell?

Good looking though! I have seen HBP more times than one could imagine and I can swear to you now I would never ever have spotted that!

Hufflepuff through and through! On COS and Pottermore!
Fair, Just, Loyal and unafraid of Toil

Old February 20th, 2010, 11:16 pm
Second Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterOfDeath View Post
The Sectumsempra scribbles are both in different places in the book so perhaps this was Snape's process of correcting and perfecting the spell?

Good looking though! I have seen HBP more times than one could imagine and I can swear to you now I would never ever have spotted that!
Guess it's been awhile since I read the book. Makes sense in that respect, a little detail from the book.

Old February 20th, 2010, 11:41 pm
Assistant to Professor Snape

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterOfDeath View Post
That's the only answer I could come up with too. Although,I think it would have made more sense and been clearer if they had it crossed out as Harry mentions "crossing outs and revisions" of the Prince's spells.

Old February 21st, 2010, 12:56 am
Hogwarts Graduate

Quote:
Originally Posted by TreacleTartlet View Post
That's the only answer I could come up with too. Although,I think it would have made more sense and been clearer if they had it crossed out as Harry mentions "crossing outs and revisions" of the Prince's spells.
As Harry mentions no 'crossing outs and revisions' for Sectumsempra, only the notation 'for enemies', IMO the two handwritings, etc., are clearly movie mistakes.

SEVERUS SNAPE
HEADMASTER
HOGWARTS SCHOOL OF WITCHCRAFT AND WIZARDRY
1997-98

REQUIESCAT IN PACE
9 JANUARY, 1960 - 2 MAY, 1998

Last edited by snapes_witch; February 21st, 2010 at 8:23 pm.
Old April 9th, 2010, 9:49 pm
First Year

IN Ss when harry and the dursleys are being showered with letters look at harry's hand. He already holding one.

Old April 16th, 2010, 1:04 am
First Year

I think the obvious one is that if you look closely in alot of the scenes in the movies Dan's eyes are blue not green.

Music is my aeroplane
Old April 16th, 2010, 1:49 am
First Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by BurrowGhoul View Post
In PS/SS when they are doing "Wingardium Leviosa," Hermione corrects Ron as it is in the script, but not as he actually says it. He says something like "Wingardrium Leviosa," and she says "Leviosa, not Leviosar."
Yeah, I rememeber in the book she says something like,"Make the "r" nice and long." Also, This might just be the fact that I've read the series over 15 times, but I always get annoyed when the lines aren't like they're supposed to be.
In HBP, did anyone else get mad after Dumbledore dies that they all raise their wands and stop to acknowledge his death? I mean come on! There was a serious battle going on, and half the people didn't know he was gone until the next few hours or even days!
There are SO many mistakes that if I tried to count them all, my post would be 5 pages long...

Above all
Those who live without love.

- Albus Percival Wulfric Brian Dumbledore

Last edited by WhySoSirius237; April 16th, 2010 at 1:50 am. Reason: Wrong punctuation
Old April 16th, 2010, 2:02 am
Fourth Year

^ yes but the battle didnt really happen in the movies. i thought the wand raising was quite nice. they took out the funeral and such so that kind of replaced it. its a small change that doesnt really affect much in my opinion.

Old April 16th, 2010, 2:29 am
Second Year

What about the part when Ginny was in the Room of Requirement with Harry and she asked Harry to close his eyes and she hid the book.

If Harry didn't hide the Potion book himself, how is he going to find the diadem of Ravenclaw in DH? That's suppose to be the hint.

Winky45

Old April 16th, 2010, 2:46 am
Professor Snape's Most Favored House Elf

The whole Harry/Ginny thing in the Room of Requirement was silly. It was so forced and so wrong, as far as the story. Did anyone involved with writing the script, directing, or editing the movie actually read the book????

The burning of the Burrow, leaving out the whole huge Battle of the Astronomy Tower, running through the swamp at the Burrow, no funeral for Dumbledore, no phoenix song....I could go on and on, and on.....

The first two movies at least made an attempt to follow the books, except cutting Peeves out completely. They also left out the logic puzzle that Snape used to guard the SS. Peeves I missed. The puzzle would have just been confusing, so I can see why it was dropped. PoA, they cut out all of parts where Crookshanks helps Sirius, and how he's the one who actually steals the password for Sirius. In GoF they put the Weasleys up in the nosebleed section instead of the Ministry's Box, and they completely left Winky out. Dobby completely disappears after CoS. No mention of S.P.E.W. at all.

I don't guess these are really "mistakes" as they were intentional, but, I don't think, as popular as the HP series is, they should just re-write the stories like that.

I held you in my arms, although I knew that death
Had already taken you. I held you close, hoping for a faint heartbeat or breath
To prove me wrong.
But, you were still, and could not hear or see
My grief, my tears, my heartbreak knowing that the rest of my life would be
Spent without you.
Old April 16th, 2010, 2:55 am
Fourth Year

what you're naming is movie changes made by the directors and such. not really mistakes

Old April 16th, 2010, 4:25 am
I want to believe

We actually have a movie pet peeves thread for discussing things you didn't like about the movies.

X-Files is the property of Ten Thirteen Productions, 20th Century Fox
WolfCloak30 Pottermore
Old April 16th, 2010, 4:35 am
Hogwarts Graduate

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALX2112 View Post
I think the obvious one is that if you look closely in alot of the scenes in the movies Dan's eyes are blue not green.
That's not really a mistake; Dan has blue eyes so in the movies Harry has blue eyes! It's not necessary for Harry's eyes to be green, just that they're the same as Lily's.

SEVERUS SNAPE
HEADMASTER
HOGWARTS SCHOOL OF WITCHCRAFT AND WIZARDRY
1997-98

REQUIESCAT IN PACE
9 JANUARY, 1960 - 2 MAY, 1998
Old April 16th, 2010, 5:26 am
First Year

Bellatrix's wand is different in the Order of the phoenix and the HBP. in the OOTP when she raises her wand at Neville in the Department of Mystery its a completely straight wand...in the HBP when she accompanies Snape and Narcissa in the Unbreakable and we see her wand its completely bent...

Unbreakable Vow*

Unbreakable Vow*

Old April 16th, 2010, 6:12 pm
Fifth Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhySoSirius237 View Post
In HBP, did anyone else get mad after Dumbledore dies that they all raise their wands and stop to acknowledge his death? I mean come on! There was a serious battle going on, and half the people didn't know he was gone until the next few hours or even days!
No: I thought it was very well done. Better than the long-winded book version (the funeral), in fact.

I would hardly call the skirmish in HBP a "battle". Anyway, it was long over by the time the castle inhabitants found out about and responded to DD's death.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MinervasCat View Post
The whole Harry/Ginny thing in the Room of Requirement was silly. It was so forced and so wrong, as far as the story.
I thought it was well scripted, but rather too low key, due to the tepid acting of the youngsters.

Old April 17th, 2010, 5:40 am
Fifth Year

As I recall, they didn't actually show the Ravenclaw Diadem in the movie HBP, so the audience wouldn't know it is there unless they read the book. We'll see in DH how Harry supposedly finds out where the diadem he has been looking for all along turns out to be.

Old April 17th, 2010, 5:43 am
Too... Much... Fangirling...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmyPotter View Post
As I recall, they didn't actually show the Ravenclaw Diadem in the movie HBP, so the audience wouldn't know it is there unless they read the book. We'll see in DH how Harry supposedly finds out where the diadem he has been looking for all along turns out to be.
This isn't a mistake as we have no idea how this will be handled in DH2, since afterall it won't be released for another year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhySoSirius237 View Post
My that time, in the film, all the Death Eaters had left Hogwarts. And this isn't a mistake either.

(this was written way before Fantastic Beasts was a thing... )

A true - CoS and Pottermore!

Last edited by ArryGrotter; April 17th, 2010 at 5:45 am.
Old April 18th, 2010, 3:55 pm
Fourth Year

In OotP, during one of the DA sessions when Nigel/Colin practises one of the spells on Harry and he gets lifted into the air, if you watch the left of the screen you can see something that looks like the wires to pull Harry up.

Images taken from http://dft.ba/-2M6r
Do not anger the kitty!Avengers.

Learning to Live Again One shots
Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > Harry Potter > Muggle Studies