Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > Harry Potter > Muggle Studies

J.K. Rowling on the Harry Potter movies

Old July 20th, 2009, 7:45 pm
First Year

J.K. Rowling on the Harry Potter movies

Hi, I've seen some folks post that J.K. Rowling loves all the Harry Potter movies, I also recently heard that Half-Blood Prince is her favorite movie yet.

However, I've never actually seen the interviews or articles where these J.K. quotes come from. I'd really like to read what she has to say about the movies, anyone know where to find this?

Also, any good J.K. Rowling interviews in general?

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Old July 20th, 2009, 8:04 pm
Animaga terpsichore

Re: J.K. Rowling on the Harry Potter movies, and interviews in general?

Well I'm not sure where you could find the exact quotes, but I'm sure there are some interviews posted on YouTube.

Keep On Dancing Til The World Ends
Old July 20th, 2009, 8:09 pm
Second Year

The thing I find odd about Rowling liking the movies is that all of them have moved away from the novels. While it's obvious that everything in a book can't be included in a movie, and never is, I find it odd that she allowed them to include/disclude some of the things she did. For example, Harry being right underneath Dumbledore when he died.

I'm sure she wouldn't have let them put anything in the films that she didn't approve up without putting up a fight first.

I think the easiest way to get to interviews would be through Youtube videos, as suggested by lil_snuffles.

Old July 20th, 2009, 8:25 pm
Third Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
The thing I find odd about Rowling liking the movies is that all of them have moved away from the novels.
Perhaps she is able to divorce herself from the books and enjoys the movies for what they are? When she sold the rights, she must have known that they would have to change things.

Quote:
While it's obvious that everything in a book can't be included in a movie, and never is, I find it odd that she allowed them to include/disclude some of the things she did. For example, Harry being right underneath Dumbledore when he died.
I seem to recall that she signed over the rights to the movie maker and no longer has a say in the matter. So, I don't think that she gets the final say on what is in or not. It appears that they do consult her (both she and the moviemakers have said this), but I don't think they legally have to do it. I think they do it as a courtesy and because it helps if she says she agrees with the change (helps calm the potential storms). Also, before the series was finished, she could let them know if a change would potentiallly cause them issues in later films.

Old July 20th, 2009, 8:27 pm
First Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yorick View Post
She can't really say she hates them, can she?
She could, she's pretty candid from what I can tell. I mean, it doesn't stop guys like Alan Moore from publicly hating on movie adaptations of their work.

Anyone know where she's mentioned the movies though? I've only heard about it secondhand.

Old July 20th, 2009, 8:31 pm
First Year

Just watch the interview with Cuaron and Her on the PoA DVD. She really likes the movies.

Old July 20th, 2009, 8:32 pm
Animaga terpsichore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dumbledores_Hat View Post
She could, she's pretty candid from what I can tell. I mean, it doesn't stop guys like Alan Moore from publicly hating on movie adaptations of their work.

Anyone know where she's mentioned the movies though? I've only heard about it secondhand.
The only thing I can think of is YouTube or if there are any special features with her doing an interview on the Harry Potter DVDs, like PoA.

Keep On Dancing Til The World Ends
Old July 20th, 2009, 8:42 pm
First Year

Awesome idea! It's funny, I actually have the blu-ray boxset right here, and I've never watched the extras.

I'm popping that PoA special feature on right now.

Old July 20th, 2009, 8:47 pm
Zonko's Employee

I find it significant that JKR loved Alfonso Cuaron's adaptation of A Little Princess and chose to sell the film rights (or at least her publishers did, with her permission, obviously) to Warner Brothers for that very reason.

That says a lot to me about her attitude to the films of her books: realistic and mature.

If I were in her position, a world-famous author, I would be absolutely thrilled that somebody wanted to make my stories into multi-million dollar blockbusters that people all over the world wanted to see!

When an author sells film rights, they know perfectly well what they are doing. They don't have to like the end result, but they know they are giving up a lot of creative control.

For a lot of dosh. I would do the same in their position, if I were so lucky.

JKR is very lucky to have had as much creative control as she has done. I personally have enjoyed all the films of her books, and I find her attitude to the films gracious and refreshing.

Old July 20th, 2009, 8:50 pm
First Year

Quote:
Right.... I'm sure that the contract she signed when she gave the rights to WB to do the film stipulated that she needed to "support" the film, just like any actor does. I'm sure she can not say: I hated it....

Old July 20th, 2009, 9:11 pm
First Year

I haven't seen or read any complete interviews, but I have read snippits and quotes.

One that really stands out to me is when she advised the filmmakers not to cut Kreature out of OotP, as they planned to. That was before the DH book came out and Rowling, of course, knew that Kreature would play a bigger role later in the series and would need an introduction in OotP. So that leads me to believe that she can make an impact if she makes it known that it is important.

I also recall reading something about Rowling (or maybe it was Yates or Kloves? Can't remember...) seeing the movies as a separate entity from the books. BASED on the books, shall we say, and therefore apt to be a bit different.

I agree that Rowling would have had to know that small things would be changed after she sold her rights, but I also think it says a lot about the filmmakers that they respect her opinion so much even though they own the rights.

Proud member of
Old July 20th, 2009, 9:18 pm
First Year

Re: J.K. Rowling on the Harry Potter movies

I am fairly certain she has said something to the effect of "as long as the movies are entertaining I am pleased", it seems she doesn't care that they stick to the books as long as they are entertaining.

Old July 20th, 2009, 9:23 pm
Zonko's Employee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fulton View Post
I am fairly certain she has said something to the effect of "as long as the movies are entertaining I am pleased", it seems she doesn't care that they stick to the books as long as they are entertaining.
Oh, I'm sure she does care. I think the quote is "as long as they stick to the spirit of the books and are entertaining".

And I completely agree with her.

These films are very faithful to their British origins and their source material -- far more so than many other adaptations I could name, not least a certain famous other fantasy franchise that won 11 Oscars.

Old July 20th, 2009, 9:43 pm
Curse Breaker

Quote:
The thing I find odd about Rowling liking the movies is that all of them have moved away from the novels. While it's obvious that everything in a book can't be included in a movie, and never is, I find it odd that she allowed them to include/disclude some of the things she did. For example, Harry being right underneath Dumbledore when he died.
Rowling's primary concern is, I think, for the story rather than for the narrative details. She explicitly said that Prisoner, for example, did the best job of capturing the "truth" of the story. That was a nice turn of phrase, as Prisoner is a story about right/hard vs. easy/wrong choices in what we accept as true.

I would be interested to learn what she thinks of Prince: this is the first time where I think that an HP film that told a story told a different story from the book: the book tells a story about right/hard vs. easy/wrong choices in personal politics, whereas the movie limits to story to right/hard vs. easy/wrong choices in personal relationships. Yes, personal relationships are part of personal politics: but issues about who to accept as mentor/ally, who to villify/promote, etc., were left out of the film.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pearl_Took View Post
These films are very faithful to their British origins and their source material -- far more so than many other adaptations I could name, not least a certain famous other fantasy franchise that won 11 Oscars.
Name them not! Breaking a thing to see how it works leaves you only with a broken thing, right?

“If in the first act you have hung a pistol on the wall, then in the following one it should be fired. Otherwise don't put it there.” - A. P. Chekhov, Gurlyand's Reminiscences, and who knew why the Dog was long before the Shack!

Last edited by Wimsey; July 20th, 2009 at 9:45 pm.
Old July 20th, 2009, 9:44 pm
First Year

I haven't seen anything on Jo Rowling, but I do remember that the actress that plays Tonks said in an interview that she did not like HBP because she found that too much was taken out and that the "made up" scenes were not very good.

Then she said that DH is much more faithfull to the books and she liked those scripts... I'm crossing my fingers.

Old July 20th, 2009, 9:48 pm
Curse Breaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdurneGranger View Post
Then she said that DH is much more faithfull to the books and she liked those scripts... I'm crossing my fingers.
Be careful for what you wish! There has been a strong inverse correlation between how faithful the films are to the narrative how they are received by both the public and the critics! Some would argue that there has been an inverse correlation between faithfulness to the narrative and faithfulness to the story, too. Rowling herself certainly has suggested so!

“If in the first act you have hung a pistol on the wall, then in the following one it should be fired. Otherwise don't put it there.” - A. P. Chekhov, Gurlyand's Reminiscences, and who knew why the Dog was long before the Shack!
Old July 20th, 2009, 9:50 pm
Winning Teamster

Quote:

Well, plenty of authors do.
I seem to recall that Philip Pullman was less than complimentary of the adaptation of 'the Golden Compass'.

Thing is, one the rights are sold, it's out of the author's hands - very few insist in the right to be involved (and very few would get that right anyway), and once the rights are sold they can't usually stop anything that's happening with the adaptations.

I would assume that the film rights for HP were sold fairly early (lots of rights are sold and never made into movies, so film companies don't necessarily wait till something is a huge hit and the rights become really expensive and the author gets the clout to stipulate conditions!!), and they would probably be sold as a package with an option for future volumes (so they wouldn't necessarily have been re-negotiated in the author's favour once the series really took off).

As far as I understood the details, JKR doesn't officially have any creative control - but the movie people chose to ask her opinions. Partly this was because the film series started before the end of the story was known and they had to make sure not to paint themselves into any corners which they couldn't yet understand, and partly because (unlike most authors) JKR had become a celebrity in her own right.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdurneGranger View Post
Right.... I'm sure that the contract she signed when she gave the rights to WB to do the film stipulated that she needed to "support" the film, just like any actor does. I'm sure she can not say: I hated it....
I'd be very surprised. I don't think that's usually included in a movie-rights deal. The behaviour of many authors would suggest this.

If JKR says she likes the films it's because she wants to say so. If she didn't want to be critical she could still simply not say anything (also something authors often do).

All in all, we have to assume that she really does enjoy the films.

haiku by Silwe Elessan

Proud to be in Ravenclaw
I served on the campaign which got Hermione and Neville elected as co-ministers of Magic

Last edited by Klio; July 20th, 2009 at 9:55 pm.
Old July 20th, 2009, 9:54 pm
First Year

I've always heard her say that she liked the movies, and since HBP is the best one so far, according to a huge chunk of people, I can't see her disliking it. I doubt she'd be able to dislike any of the movies, really. When you think about it, she was lucky enough to have her books turned into movies, and really well made movies at that. As long as they're close to the books in some ways, she probably wouldn't dislike them just because of a few differences. That and, she knew going in that movies are never exactly like the books.

"... Teaching."
"Teach- Is that a student..?!"

"Well, technically it's a ferret."

The Marauders > You.
Old July 21st, 2009, 10:55 am
Zonko's Employee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wimsey View Post
Name them not! Breaking a thing to see how it works leaves you only with a broken thing, right?
That's right, Wimsey, it leaves you with a big cinematic flop. Obviously.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klio View Post
Well, plenty of authors do.
I seem to recall that Philip Pullman was less than complimentary of the adaptation of 'the Golden Compass'.
I'm not surprised, since the film adaptation completely eviscerated the point of his story. Something the HP films have never done. They all, in their own way, 'get' Rowling's vision. Not perfectly, but they get it. I do love how British the films are.

Quote:
If JKR says she likes the films it's because she wants to say so. If she didn't want to be critical she could still simply not say anything (also something authors often do).
That is my impression also. I find her attitude towards the films completely genuine. I'm glad for her that she enjoys them.

Quote:
All in all, we have to assume that she really does enjoy the films.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdGreyEyes View Post
... When you think about it, she was lucky enough to have her books turned into movies, and really well made movies at that. As long as they're close to the books in some ways, she probably wouldn't dislike them just because of a few differences. That and, she knew going in that movies are never exactly like the books.
Exactly. She is a very sensible lady.

Old July 21st, 2009, 3:12 pm
Sixth Year

Quote:
If she really cared about the films' quality, I bet she would.

“These are dark times, there is no denying. Our world has perhaps faced no greater threat than it does today. But I say this, to our citizenry: WE, ever your servants, will continue to defend your liberty and repel the forces that seek to take it from you! Your Ministry, remains, strong!”
Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > Harry Potter > Muggle Studies