Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > Harry Potter > Muggle Studies > The Casting Couch

David Thewlis as Remus Lupin

Old November 1st, 2008, 2:55 pm
I want to believe

Re: David Thewlis as Remus Lupin

Quote:
Originally Posted by DobbyDefender View Post
I think he could make a real impact if he has a death scene.
I'm not holding out hope for that unfortunately, since he doesn't even get one in the books. I think he could still make a big impact if he appears in the Resurrection Stone scene, even if he doesn't get to die onscreen. In any case, I think Thewlis would do wonderfully in any of those scenes.

X-Files is the property of Ten Thirteen Productions, 20th Century Fox
WolfCloak30 Pottermore
Sponsored Links
Old November 1st, 2008, 3:16 pm
First Year

Thewlis is great as Lupin. He's great with Harry, like a favorite Uncle. I just wish we saw more of Lupin in OoTP. Someone mentioned that he was the longest living Marauder. Good point. Considering his connection to Harry's parents, why doesn't he have a larger role in the movies?

Lewlis recently said in an interview that he doesn't have a large part in the last two movies - and he clarfied that he was referring to OoTP and HBP. That's disappointing. I wish he had a bigger part in OoTP. Well, I hope that changes for DH and they don't cut out too many of his scenes.

I agree, it would be great if Lewlis got a death scene - trying to protect Tonks perhaps? Hmmmmmm.

Old November 2nd, 2008, 12:58 am
First Year

He's fantastic.

I think a great way to go about his "death" scene would be to not show it all, but instead..when Harry uses the stone to call upon his Parents and Sirius...have Lupin appear suprisingly..

Harry faulters and stares at him then starts tearing up when he puts two and two together stumbling over words like.....how....this means...that..you...cant...no.."im so sorry"( i think thats what he said)., then Lupin can use his line about no regrets and having a child thanks to him etc and the others can slip right into the conversation

I dunno, i imagined it in my head and it looked fairly powerful.

Its a time saver as well as the movie would have so much to put in and adding a new scene like Tonks/Lupin probably wont happen..but adding an extra 15 seconds or whatever it would take to this scene would be possible.

Old November 2nd, 2008, 1:04 am
Second Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by RemusLupinFan View Post
I'm not holding out hope for that unfortunately, since he doesn't even get one in the books. I think he could still make a big impact if he appears in the Resurrection Stone scene, even if he doesn't get to die onscreen. In any case, I think Thewlis would do wonderfully in any of those scenes.
I actually think they will put something like a death scene because he is such a powerful impact for Harry. The movie fans know him and love him so it would be heartbraking.
He would be amazing in both R.S. scene and death. They may just do it where they are all fighting and Harry looks over and sees him on the floor kind of like the book. I hope so.

Old November 2nd, 2008, 2:15 am
First Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joga_Bonito View Post
He's fantastic.

I think a great way to go about his "death" scene would be to not show it all, but instead..when Harry uses the stone to call upon his Parents and Sirius...have Lupin appear suprisingly..

Harry faulters and stares at him then starts tearing up when he puts two and two together stumbling over words like.....how....this means...that..you...cant...no.."im so sorry"( i think thats what he said)., then Lupin can use his line about no regrets and having a child thanks to him etc and the others can slip right into the conversation

I dunno, i imagined it in my head and it looked fairly powerful.
And there wouldn't be a dry eye in the theatre.

That is actually a very good idea.

Old November 2nd, 2008, 2:18 am
Fifth Year

I second that, Wicked. But doesn't the Resurrection Stone bring back those he knows are dead?

And I believe it depends on how much onscreen acting Thewlis gets in HBP and DH, whether his death would have much of an impact or not on the audience for the non-book audience. Sure, for us book-readers, it will, but perhaps not for movie-only members of the audience. After all, he was in PoA, and only very briefly (and his name not even mentioned! ) in OotP.

A PROUD RAVENCLAW
Old January 5th, 2009, 3:25 pm
Second Year

He's a great Lupin! I just wish he got more acting time... but the death scene thing is a good idea. I also think it would be cool if he could be with everybody in the ressurection stonem or trying to protect Tonks, like others have said

Old March 4th, 2009, 7:57 pm
Fourth Year

i think Thewlis is a great actor! and although he's not the Remus in my head, he definitely delivers onscreen!!

Old July 5th, 2009, 4:58 am
Third Year

I think David is a great Remus. The only problem was that his hair is short, and I imagined Lupin to have long hair. But he's a great Lupin, and really, the best.

Old July 5th, 2009, 3:45 pm
Third Year

1 word: wonderful.

I wish i could be in the DA.
Proud supporter of Dobby, Enemy of Bellatrix

~92% of teens moved on to rap music. If you're part of the 8% that rock out everyday, put this in your sig.~
Old July 5th, 2009, 3:48 pm
Conquering Reading Lists

I love him as Lupin- he's just perfect. He doesn't exactly look like the Lupin I imagined, but now when I read Lupin I have the image of Thewlis in my mind

He's got Lupin's character spot on though. I loved him in Prisoner of Azkaban and whatever little bit we had in OOTP. His DADA classes were brilliant, as was his teaching Harry the patronus charm

I'm most looking forward to how he acts the scene where Lupin and Harry have a major row in DH, hoping they have the scene. That is such an emotional, powerful scene and I'm sure Thewlis will do justice to it.

"At the end of the first round, I will award three points to Mr. Kaine for an excellent nonspecific condemnation, plus one bonus point for blaming the previous government and another for successfully mutating the question to promote the party line. Mr. van de Poste gets a point for a firm rebuttal, but only two points for his condemnation, as he tried to inject an impartial and intelligent observation"
- Jasper Fforde, Something Rotten

Avatar credit: RachelDinozzo at Deviantart

Rita Skeeter was here
Old July 22nd, 2009, 9:03 am
Third Year

David Thewlis is so good as Lupin. He is so great in POA and the connection/relationship that he has with Dan/Harry is really great in that film, I really love the scenes they have with each other. It's funny that the only scene we see him in HBP isn't even a real scene from the books.

Proud member of

-She is the definition of perfect-
Old July 22nd, 2009, 9:39 am
First Year

thewlis isn't the lupin in my head just as broadbent isn't slughorn.BUT BOTH DOES A WONDERFUL JOB!

Old July 22nd, 2009, 9:40 am
Third Year

I love David as Remus, although when I'm reading DH lately, I imagine David with long hair. I dunno, I think the illustrations when it says "The Bribe" just got to me.

Sorry, but I think David is great!

Old July 23rd, 2009, 3:04 am
Second Year

Lupin is my favorite character, so I automatically liked him in the films. I really like the way he portrays Lupin. He has that friendly appeal that I could see myself wanting to get to know him more personally because he seems to be a genuinely nice person.

Old August 18th, 2009, 1:45 pm
First Year

I think Thewlis is the best actor you can have for Lupin, although he really doesn't look like the Lupin in my mind. Especially the grey hair thing, that's so typical voor Lupin, but is not in the movies.
But Thewlis plays very well.

Old August 19th, 2009, 3:44 am
Second Year

He plays the part well but looks nothing like Lupin, Lupin has long graying hair, wrinkles, and does not have a mustache

"Where Dwell The Brave at Heart"
Old August 21st, 2009, 9:23 pm
Fourth Year

I'm probably in a severe minority here, but I think Thewlis was one of the most woefully bad casting jobs in the movie. His cackling "come on, come on! *wildly swings arms*" during the Boggart scene was just horrible, and they just made him so unpleasant in HBP.....ugh! I have even more problems with his phisical appearance; Thewlis looks at least ten years older than the youthful Lupin, and don't even get me started on that awful moustache! :P Also, I always pictured Lupin with fairly dark hair, and the general air of a frail young bookworm rather than a jovial favorite uncle. Just my take.

I cordially dislike Severus Snape.
Old August 21st, 2009, 9:55 pm
First Year

Once again another Potter actor than "Exceeds Expectations"

"To the well-organized mind, death is but the next great adventure. "
—Albus Dumbledore

Follow Me On Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/APGB
Old August 26th, 2009, 1:40 am
Second Year

I'm gonna be honest here. Lupin is one of my all-time favourite book characters, but David Thewlis just isn't him at all. I'm not sure if it is poor acting or just the appearance that is so different from the Lupin I've had in my mind for so long, but I really do not like his portrayal in the movies.

---Severus Snape was the bravest man I ever knew.
Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > Harry Potter > Muggle Studies > The Casting Couch