Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > Harry Potter > Muggle Studies > The Casting Couch

David Thewlis as Remus Lupin

Old August 26th, 2009, 2:44 am
Seventh Year

Re: David Thewlis as Remus Lupin

I was actually quite surprised at how much David looked like how I imagined Lupin. Couldn't have picked anyone better

Old December 13th, 2009, 4:16 am
Seventh Year

I'd say that his acting is fine. He isn't what I'd pictured, but I won't hold that against him. My picture of Lupin was slightly peculiar.

Can you find the frog? Click here for an enlarged image.

“Whether you come back by page or by the big screen, Hogwarts will always be there to welcome you home.”
― J.K. Rowling

"She boiled her brain."- Karl Pilkington
Old December 13th, 2009, 6:51 am
Fourth Year

He was't exactly as I've imagined him while reading PoA, but the similarity is still amazing. O_o

Old December 13th, 2009, 7:13 am
Second Year

My only problem witth David was... his mustache. I nearly screamed when I saw it. Other than that one thing, he was amazing.

Brought to you with help from the eternally awesome DarkLord7.

Future Ruler of the ENTIRE TRI-STATE AREA!!!! *Dramatic lightning*

I lost The Game.
Old December 13th, 2009, 10:06 am
Hogwarts Graduate

Quote:
Originally Posted by CowsRSkary View Post
My only problem witth David was... his mustache. I nearly screamed when I saw it. Other than that one thing, he was amazing.
Yeah, the mustache. Did I detect a bit of beard in HBP?

Other than the mustache and the 1920's suit, he's a fine Lupin.

David is a very good actor and I like him in the other movies I've seen him in.

SEVERUS SNAPE
HEADMASTER
HOGWARTS SCHOOL OF WITCHCRAFT AND WIZARDRY
1997-98

REQUIESCAT IN PACE
9 JANUARY, 1960 - 2 MAY, 1998
Old December 13th, 2009, 10:28 am
Fourth Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by snapes_witch View Post
Yeah, the mustache. Did I detect a bit of beard in HBP?

Other than the mustache and the 1920's suit, he's a fine Lupin.

David is a very good actor and I like him in the other movies I've seen him in.
Agree with all of these!

Old December 13th, 2009, 12:01 pm
First Year

Looks nothing like I imagined Lupin, but a beautiful performance and as much as he looks nothing like my character, his performance was exactly how I imagined it would be.

I always imagined Lupin as slightly ill-shaven, but never with a mustache.

Old December 13th, 2009, 2:07 pm
First Year

bout the mustache. I sort of somehow imagined him with longer hair. Performance is great but in third year Lupin is this really really fun guy and a teacher. He was serious but you could somehow see how he was a marauder. Here he just seemed extra serious. JMO though

Old December 13th, 2009, 2:56 pm
Seventh Year

I wouldn't say that he seemed extra serious. In the movie, he was particularly amusing during the class with the boggarts, especially when he turned on the music.

Old December 13th, 2009, 5:47 pm
Second Year

I've seen David Thewlis is other movies and I think he is a good actor, and that he portrays Remus Lupid quite well.

I confess myself... disappointed.
Not one of you tried to find me..." -Lord Voldemort
Old December 13th, 2009, 5:52 pm
Fourth Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by SwedishSkinJer View Post
I wouldn't say that he seemed extra serious. In the movie, he was particularly amusing during the class with the boggarts, especially when he turned on the music.
That was a bit weird. I mean, really, music in class?

Old January 21st, 2010, 2:40 am
Fourth Year

I dislike David as Lupin, but I think it's just an issue of him being miscast rather than any problems with his acting abilities; he was really good on other films I've seen. Cuaron translated the character fairly well in PoA (he still had some pretty uncharacteristic mannerisms and lines ... oh well), but in subsequent films I think the Lupin from the books has been completely discarded in favor of some person nothing at all like the character JK wrote. He always seems grumpy and on edge; in the books Lupin is the peacemaker and mediating element in any gathering, and is always the person left to calm people down when they get upset- he's the voice of reason and the shoulder to cry on. In the films, however, it is Lupin himself who always seems annoyed and upset and has to be apologized for; the scene at the Burrow in Half-blood Prince was especially botched, in my opinion. In the book he was completely quiet and not angry at all, even when Harry was being bullheaded about Snape; indeed, he took the time to try to explain to Harry why he's grateful to Snape for his help with the Wolfsbane potion and carries no grudge against him. Harry's the one coming across as obstinate and angry through the conversation. In the film, however, Lupin raises his voice, interrupts Harry ("I'm not--" "Yes. You. ARE!"), gesticulates, and finally gets up and leaves in a huff, leading both Tonks and Arthur to make halfhearted excuses for him.

Apart from that, I just plain don't like the way he looks. The entire Marauder generation was cast a good twenty years older than they were in the books, but I think the change is especially glaring with Lupin. He should have been barely thirty in PoA, and JK makes several references to his youthful face. However, Thewlis's Lupin looks, in my opinion at least, like a scruffy, world-weary fifty-year-old. I always had an image of a very sweet and innocent looking young man, but I didn't get that from the film's version at all. Marta over at ArtDungeon.com does a much better job representing my idea of him: http://www.artdungeon.net/ootp/werewolf3

I cordially dislike Severus Snape.

Last edited by LoonyForMoony; February 28th, 2010 at 2:30 am.
Old January 21st, 2010, 2:51 am
Hogwarts Graduate

Lupin was supposed to look older. He was shabby and scruffy looking because he was out of work. Even Rita Skeeter looked unkempt when she was out of work.

Old January 21st, 2010, 2:57 am
Seventh Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoonyForMoony View Post
Apart from that, I just plain don't like the way he looks. The entire Marauder generation was cast a good twenty years older than they were in the books, but I think the change is especially glaring with Lupin. He should have been barely thirty in PoA, and JK makes several references to his youthful face. However, Thewlis's Lupin looks, in my opinion at least, like a scruffy, world-weary fifty-year-old. I always had an image of a very sweet and innocent looking young man, but I didn't get that from the film's version at all. Marta over at ArtDungeon.com does a much better job representing my idea of him: http://www.artdungeon.net/ootp/werewolf3
That looks like a picture of teenage Lupin. David Thewlis is not playing teenage Lupin, he is playing adult Lupin.

Moreover, as merrymarge said, he is supposed to look older than he is because of his condition. Jo spent more time talking about his prematurely graying hair than his youthful looks IMO.

Can you find the frog? Click here for an enlarged image.

“Whether you come back by page or by the big screen, Hogwarts will always be there to welcome you home.”
― J.K. Rowling

"She boiled her brain."- Karl Pilkington
Old January 21st, 2010, 2:57 am
Fourth Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by merrymarge View Post
Lupin was supposed to look older. He was shabby and scruffy looking because he was out of work. Even Rita Skeeter looked unkempt when she was out of work.
We have sufficient evidence from the books to conclude that Lupin lacked either the ability or the inclination to provide himself with new robes by magical means, but I never saw anything JK wrote to make me think that Lupin was ill-shaven or otherwise lacking in personal hygiene, which was how Thewlis looked in my opinion. I also got a very youthful, innocent vibe from the Lupin in the books, and I think that contributed to my picturing him as a young man- aside from JK's descriptions to that effect. Thewlis' Lupin, as I said, comes across as a lot older, more scarred, both physically and emotionally. And since I had quite fallen in love with JK's Lupin by the time I saw the films, the way he was represented on the big screen was a bit jarring to me.

Quote:
That looks like a picture of teenage Lupin. David Thewlis is not playing teenage Lupin, he is playing adult Lupin.
I honestly don't picture him having changed all that much. The books only say his face was lined, not that he looked old; and I've seen quite young and attractive men with lined faces, and yes, graying hair. However, perhaps Lupin's lovable character forced me to construct a mental image of him which I found attractive; I definitely don't expect everyone to share my views.

I cordially dislike Severus Snape.

Last edited by LoonyForMoony; January 21st, 2010 at 3:15 am.
Old January 21st, 2010, 7:09 am
Fifth Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoonyForMoony View Post
We have sufficient evidence from the books to conclude that Lupin lacked either the ability or the inclination to provide himself with new robes by magical means, but I never saw anything JK wrote to make me think that Lupin was ill-shaven or otherwise lacking in personal hygiene, which was how Thewlis looked in my opinion. I also got a very youthful, innocent vibe from the Lupin in the books, and I think that contributed to my picturing him as a young man- aside from JK's descriptions to that effect. Thewlis' Lupin, as I said, comes across as a lot older, more scarred, both physically and emotionally. And since I had quite fallen in love with JK's Lupin by the time I saw the films, the way he was represented on the big screen was a bit jarring to me.

I honestly don't picture him having changed all that much. The books only say his face was lined, not that he looked old; and I've seen quite young and attractive men with lined faces, and yes, graying hair. However, perhaps Lupin's lovable character forced me to construct a mental image of him which I found attractive; I definitely don't expect everyone to share my views.
I think with all the child-actors they wanted to go for experienced good actors and most of those are at least 40.My problems with the movies having nothing to do with the actors but more the scripts.
I think David was fine in PoA and did not have enough screen time in OoPh to judge him as good or bad in it.

Old January 21st, 2010, 7:30 am
Fourth Year

A girl in school said she would like Lupin's character to have been performed by Patrick Dempsey. Pretty weird idea if you want my opinion O.o Who do you think should have performed him? I really dunno, it's just that any of the currently popular actors remind me of this particular character(except from DavidT in a way...)

Old January 21st, 2010, 7:52 am
Fifth Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonks_Animagus View Post
A girl in school said she would like Lupin's character to have been performed by Patrick Dempsey. Pretty weird idea if you want my opinion O.o Who do you think should have performed him? I really dunno, it's just that any of the currently popular actors remind me of this particular character(except from DavidT in a way...)
As Hogwarts is on the British Isles we should expect at least the teachers to be British too unless decribed otherwise which they weren't.A Texan Robin Hood was bad enough even though the movie was ok.
If you want someone else perhaps Richard Armitage? He is not a blond but neither is Patrick Dempsey.

Old January 21st, 2010, 7:58 am
Second Year

I think that David played the part of Remus really well, only he didn't look how I would have expected. :/

"You're joking, Perce! You actually are joking.... I don’t think I’ve heard you joke since you were –" The air exploded.

"And Percy was shaking his brother, and Ron was kneeling beside them, and Fred's eyes stared without seeing, the ghost of his last laugh still etched upon his face."

Proud Gryffindor
Old January 27th, 2010, 7:01 pm
Sixth Year

One scene I really found Lupinlike, was his leaving the school in PoA. He really gave this scene the necessary emotion, without apparently "acting" (And I loved the self-packing trunk, too ).

Otherwise, I don't like him much. I mean, this is not as I see Lupin, at all.

There is nothing wrong in being ambitious.
Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > Harry Potter > Muggle Studies > The Casting Couch