Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > Harry Potter > The Cloak > The Pensieve

Harry Potter and other Saga Heros

Old August 5th, 2008, 4:02 am
Second Year

Re: Harry Potter and The Matrix

I was struck by the similarities between the character Harry Potter and Neo from The Matrix.

1) Neo is "the one" (his name is an acronym) - Harry is "the chosen one".
2) Both are orphans. Neo doesn't even have parents at all... he is born from a machine.
3) Neo's mentor is Morpheus - Harry's is Dumbledore.
4) Neo's returns from the dead by the power of love - So does Harry.
5) Neo's destiny is revealed by the Oracle - Harry's destiny is revealed by the Prophesy.
6) Both of their destinies is to literally "save the World".
7) Both doubt their ability to fulfill their destinies and resist it.
8) Both must go thru a learning process.
9) Both try to protect their girlfriends from danger.
10) Both are introduced to a new world they didn't know about. Neo is introduced to The Matix - Harry is introduced to the Wizarding World.
11) Both sense they are "different" before they are introduced to the alternate world.

... I'm sure there are more.

We are but the dream of a shadow.
Solo somos el sueño de una sombra.
Wir sind nur der Traum eines Schatten.
http://countwestwest.livejournal.com

Last edited by CountWestwest; August 5th, 2008 at 4:18 am.
Sponsored Links
Old August 5th, 2008, 8:44 pm
I want to believe

Re: Harry Potter and other Saga Heros

Quote:
Originally Posted by CountWestwest View Post
1) Neo is "the one" (his name is an acronym) - Harry is "the chosen one".
2) Both are orphans. Neo doesn't even have parents at all... he is born from a machine.
3) Neo's mentor is Morpheus - Harry's is Dumbledore.
4) Neo's returns from the dead by the power of love - So does Harry.
5) Neo's destiny is revealed by the Oracle - Harry's destiny is revealed by the Prophesy.
6) Both of their destinies is to literally "save the World".
7) Both doubt their ability to fulfill their destinies and resist it.
8) Both must go thru a learning process.
9) Both try to protect their girlfriends from danger.
10) Both are introduced to a new world they didn't know about. Neo is introduced to The Matix - Harry is introduced to the Wizarding World.
11) Both sense they are "different" before they are introduced to the alternate world.
These are all very strong similarities. Another one along the same lines as #4 is that both face death twice: Harry when he is a baby, and in DH in the forest scene; and Neo near the end of the first Matrix, and at the very end. Indeed, love does save both Harry and Neo - the love of another for them. The second time both characters face death, they do so consciously, as Harry sacrifices himself to get rid of Voldemort and Neo sacrifices himself to get rid of Smith. The only difference is that Neo actually dies while Harry lives (though the ending of the Matrix is a bit mysterious).

Of the other heroes that exist in other fandoms, I think Harry also shares similarities with Frodo, who both have a quest to fight against evil. Their quests take different shapes, but both quests are analogous. Both characters also share similar traits, such as selflessness and determination. One difference in these stories is that in the end, the evil Frodo is fighting against dominates him in spite of his pure heart, which is something that doesn't happen to Harry despite the horcrux inside him.

Regarding similarities to Star Wars, I think Harry is more like Luke than Anakin (despite the fact that Anakin is the main hero of the saga) in that he never becomes an anti-hero, and that he is on a mission to confront and eliminate evil. That's not to say there aren't similarities between Harry and Anakin, but I think Harry has more things in common with Luke.

X-Files is the property of Ten Thirteen Productions, 20th Century Fox
WolfCloak30 Pottermore
Old September 11th, 2008, 1:49 am
Qvack...

Hurm. Tough idea here.

I agree with the Harry/Frodo point. They are very similar in a very large amount of ways. Small differences are fine with me, that's what makes the books different, . It's interesting that Frodo's dark side did overtake, and Harry's didn't, but we did see the same harsh instances where it could have, which is a good thing to look over in general about the two.

I also think that Harry shares a great deal with Aragorn, King Elessar. The reluctance to lead, the determination to complete something overtaking that, the intense bravery and yet a few dark moments of anger, fear, guilt etc. The feeling that neither of the two of them could ever be with them. Skills as leaders in a general sense. The idea that they were each idolized for their parts to play (though Harry was quite downtrodden for a while, in the same way the stewards of Gondor downplayed the threat of a new King).

And if we're going to branch to other sags, I can't answer on Neo having not really seen the Matrix films, but it does look great, .

However, talking about The Wheel of Time, by Robert Jordan, does make sense to me. Here, Harry remind me, not of Rand, but of Mat Cauthon. In the romance sense, it's very different, but again there's that slight reluctance, the ability to lead, instinctual survival and detestation of anything that threatens family or friends. Harry is fairly easygoing, he's not too stressed about school or about his looks or anything like that, and in this way they're similar too. They both also have that drive to completion, but have been known to lose the cool every now and again.

This one might be a bit unusual, but I think Lirael (of the Abhorsen trilogy by Garth Nix) is quite like Harry. The idea that they both felt quite out of place in the beginning, that there were some very downtrodden moments in early life, that they both threw themselves into something with fierce determination, and that they each, with limited knowledge, overcame great threat. Lirael knew nothing as such about what she was, and she had limited knowledge of who she was, but she put her all into it to make sure that she could help and take up her role as a leader in the fight.

THE DUCK.

Old September 13th, 2008, 10:10 pm
I want to believe

Quote:
Originally Posted by vampiricduck View Post
I also think that Harry shares a great deal with Aragorn, King Elessar. The reluctance to lead, the determination to complete something overtaking that, the intense bravery and yet a few dark moments of anger, fear, guilt etc.
Good comparison. Though Harry is quite a bit younger than Aragorn and has a different background, there are similarities with Harry’s coming of age and Aragorn’s coming into his inheritance as the King of Gondor. Both make difficult choices that lead them down dangerous roads. The horcrux hunt is sort of analogous to Aragorn’s taking the Paths of the Dead in that both journeys serve to define key moments for them before their final confrontations (Harry’s battle with Voldemort, and Aragorn’s “suicide” battle in front of the gates of Mordor where they’re trying to distract Sauron into emptying the land of orcs so that Frodo and Sam have a clear path to Orodruin). Both Harry and Aragorn confront serious doubts about who they are and what they are capable of, but both come through for their respective worlds in the end.

X-Files is the property of Ten Thirteen Productions, 20th Century Fox
WolfCloak30 Pottermore
Old September 21st, 2008, 3:39 am
Qvack...

Quote:
Originally Posted by RemusLupinFan View Post
Good comparison. Though Harry is quite a bit younger than Aragorn and has a different background, there are similarities with Harry’s coming of age and Aragorn’s coming into his inheritance as the King of Gondor. Both make difficult choices that lead them down dangerous roads. The horcrux hunt is sort of analogous to Aragorn’s taking the Paths of the Dead in that both journeys serve to define key moments for them before their final confrontations (Harry’s battle with Voldemort, and Aragorn’s “suicide” battle in front of the gates of Mordor where they’re trying to distract Sauron into emptying the land of orcs so that Frodo and Sam have a clear path to Orodruin). Both Harry and Aragorn confront serious doubts about who they are and what they are capable of, but both come through for their respective worlds in the end.
You have a way with words, do you know that? It's a gift.

Anyways, I do think everything you said there is entirely correct. Though overall we might ascertain that they are each relieved of the ability to choose and that in fact there is never any doubt about what they will eventually do, their paths to smaller choices are so alike that it's not too hard to see the similarities at all. Each faces death many, many times in the reluctance of their roles and neither wants the power that is granted them at birth. They try to reject it time and time again, but it's, for each of them, the role they were born to play.

Quite frankly, the earthiness, the grounded sense of reason, the "chancing your luck" elements, all make such brilliant characters. There's a reason why they make good leaders, good kings- they never wanted to in the first place.

I actually also tie Snape to this somewhat, but that's not for here. There are serious comparisons between Harry and Aragorn, there's no doubt about it. The more I think it through- even the original failing of the Harry/Ginny and Aragorn/Arwen relationships followed by their ultimate success is a good point to make in light of this.

THE DUCK.

Old July 3rd, 2010, 4:44 pm
Sixth Year

"There is this story about this orphan who grows up with his aunt and uncle and has special powers and a mission..."

This description is applicable to a certain extent to a number of heros, such as Harry Potter, Luke Skywalker (Star Wars), Frodo Baggins (Lord of the Rings), Peter Parker (Spiderman), Eragon...[/quote]
I think you should add Aragorn too, from the Lord of the Rings. He lost his father, brought up by Elves, lived in the Wild for sometime and then returned to reclaim his heritage.

What similarities in Harrys character can we find to other saga heros?
Bravery, a strong sense of justice and a "saving people thing", which Hermione coined.

What makes him different?
Harry's different because he was a hero since he was one, though an unwilling one.

In what point his powers are similar to the powers other heros have?
He has a knack for duelling, fighting evil, like most other heroes. It's nothing you can study in books, it's very practical, something in-born. Sometimes, we even see Harry besting Hermione in a duel, though she is better in charms or spellwork. His Outstanding in Defense Against the Dark Arts isn't there for show, you know.

Is his backstory typical for a fantasy saga hero? (orphan, marked, prophecy)
Yes.

In what his mission/fate is similar or different to other saga heros?
His fate could be similar to two figures whom I admire and love: Aragorn and Frodo.

I'll start off with Aragorn. Harry is much younger than Aragorn, but their stories mostly the same. Both were told of their true heritage only of a certain time, and then spent years training, so they can fight when the day comes. (Harry at Hogwarts and Aragorn with the Rangers.) Both have two loyal buddies to count on: Harry with Ron and Hermione, Aragorn with Legolas and Gimli. That trio used to be part of a bigger group, the HP trio with Neville, Ginny and Luna, and the LOTR trio with the Nine Walkers. Finally, both went back to normal life to build a better world.

Frodo is the same as Harry because the two were reluctant heroes. Frodo didn't want the title of Ring Bearer, while Harry didn't want the title of Boy Who Lived. Also, the locket Horcrux could be alluded to the Ring, because they had a parasitic influence. The Ring and the Horcrux were both destroyed by people other than the hero, the Ring by Gollum and the locket by Ron. There was a rescue involved while they destroyed the objects-Ron saved Harry from drowning, while Sam saved Frodo from Mount Doom. Finally, both get back to life after the wars they were in, Harry succeeded by having his family, and Frodo succeeded by going to the Grey Havens.

Gryffindor

UnicornSeeker8718 (Pottermore)
Old November 12th, 2010, 10:57 pm
Third Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by arithmancer View Post
Actually, Frodo's parents died in a boating accident when he was a young boy, it is why he was raised by Bilbo. I think it does have an effect on his character.
This is what I was going to say.

Quote:
Originally Posted by arithmancer View Post
Frodo is kind of like this, as well. He certainly has no superpowers, unless one counts his ability, for most of the story, to resist the seduction of the Ring. Even that does not make him unique. Both Bilbo and Sam use the ring for a time, and both are sufficiently immune to its evil that they are able to voluntarily pass it on to another.
The ring gets stronger the closer it gets to Mordor and Sauron, which is why Bilbo was relatively immune to its effects. Sam only carries it for a short time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vampiricduck View Post
It's interesting that Frodo's dark side did overtake, and Harry's didn't, but we did see the same harsh instances where it could have, which is a good thing to look over in general about the two.
I'd just like to add that Frodo knew from the very beginning that he would fail, Gandalf tells him in the beginning that he wouldn't be able to destroy the ring...

Lord of the Rings: "Frodo drew the Ring out of his pocket again and looked at it. It now appeared plain and smooth, without mark or device that he could see. The gold looked very fair and pure, and Frodo thought how rich and beautiful was its colour, how perfect was its roundness. It was an admirable thing and altogether precious. When he took it out he had intended to fling it from him into the very hottest part of the fire. But he found now that he could not do so, not without a great struggle. He weighed the Ring in his hand, hesitating, and forcing himself to remember all that Gandalf had told him; and then with an effort of will he made a movement, as if to cast it away - but he found that he had put it back in his pocket.
Gandalf laughed grimly. 'You see? Already you too, Frodo, cannot easily let it go, nor will to damage it. And I could not "make" you - except by force, which would break your mind."

Frodo was doomed to fail from the very beginning, and he still went, on a hopeless mission.

Last edited by daronisgod; November 13th, 2010 at 12:16 am.
Old February 8th, 2011, 7:56 am
MODLY CREW

Quote:
Originally Posted by RemusLupinFan View Post
Of the other heroes that exist in other fandoms, I think Harry also shares similarities with Frodo, who both have a quest to fight against evil. Their quests take different shapes, but both quests are analogous. Both characters also share similar traits, such as selflessness and determination. One difference in these stories is that in the end, the evil Frodo is fighting against dominates him in spite of his pure heart, which is something that doesn't happen to Harry despite the horcrux inside him.
I wrote about it in this thread before but I think that Harry has more similarities with Aragorn than Frodo. Frodo is a very modern hero, as he is unwilling, unprepared and completely ordinary. He fails because he's not equipped to defeat Sauron. But he succeeds because he brings out the good in others, because he believes in them and because he is willing to accept their help. Harry is presented as ordinary but continuously manages to do extraordinary things or has extraordinary things happen to him. Towards the end, he becomes a saviour figure who willingly sacrifices himself for the Greater Good. He relies on his inner strength whereas Frodo has to rely on the strength of others.

Old February 8th, 2011, 10:17 am
First Year

Harry is not a super hero or some thing like that but he is a simple guy who want to take revenge from voldemort because he killed his parents.

Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > Harry Potter > The Cloak > The Pensieve