Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > Harry Potter > The Cloak > The Pensieve

Similarity of HP and Smallville

Old October 2nd, 2007, 5:39 am
First Year

Similarity of HP and Smallville

Does anyone watch the show....? me and my friend were talking, and found some great similarities between the show smallville and HP..

looking at the characters:
HARRY AND CLARK:
They are the HEROES.

GINNY AND LOIS:
The girls that heroes are supposed to be with. That's how the story ends.

CHO AND LANA: Theyre the popular girls the heroes want. Their first infatuation. Young Love. But not destined to be. Cho is harry's first crush, and lana is clark's. but none of them are supposed to be together

THEIR FRIENDS AND SIDEKICKS:
HERMIONE&RON, CHLOE&PETE: They're the heroes' best friends, and always help them solve problems and are the best sidekicks. also, they end up together in the end.

THE PERFECT MEN:
CEDRIC AND WHITNEY:
they're the popular handsome boys, that start the jealousy of the heroes for their young infatuation. However, death does them apart. Cedric is with Cho, much to harry's dismay, but dies at the end. Whitney is with lana, but dies in the war.

???
sorry if posted in the wrong place. aack.

Sponsored Links
Old November 29th, 2007, 1:10 pm
First Year

Re: Similarity of HP and Smallville

I might be way off the mark but isnt Smallville 'younger' than HP, not in terms of production and release dates but JKR's writing?

You make a nice comparison anyway

'The time will come when we must choose between what is right, and what is easy'
Old December 6th, 2007, 6:25 pm
Fourth Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by martypalin View Post
I might be way off the mark but isnt Smallville 'younger' than HP, not in terms of production and release dates but JKR's writing?

You make a nice comparison anyway
I'm not sure what you mean.

If you mean Smallville was developed for TV after she began writing Harry Potter, then yes, I think you're right. I don't remember if Smallville came out before any of the HP books were published. Of course, Superman comics were first published in 1938 and I believe the first Superboy/Smallville stories came out in the 1950s.

Or were you referring to the target audience?

There's a big parallel between the two that rapidly becomes a point of divergence.

Both are orphans, raised as children in the normal human world, both from different worlds (one literally from a different planet, the other from a secret portion of our own world), both develop powers and abilities far beyond those of etc...

The difference is Clark is mostly cut off from his world of origin and must learn to use his power and live in the human world, while Harry can leave the human world behind and live freely in the world of his heritage.

Old January 11th, 2008, 7:53 pm
First Year

Yea the TV show for smallville was BEFORE the movies, but after the HP books. I don't know why that would matter, really, but yeah.

And yes, we know the superman series go wayyyy back. Older than HP. Of course.

It's funny how similar the show is to HP series though... very cool to notice, if you know what i mean.

Old November 12th, 2010, 2:27 pm
Third Year

Smallville cast is better looking (by miles) than Harry Potter cast.

E: Yes, that is all I think about (most of the time!)

DO NOT DISTURB: SPIDERMAN DANCE IN PROGRESS!
Old July 27th, 2011, 4:02 am
Second Year

I absolutely love Smallville. Almost as much as I love Harry Potter.

I never thought about drawing parallels between them... But they both draw heavily on good vs. evil aspects. Of course, many different things center around that. But your character conclusions are really interesting. I never thought about them that way. I'm not sure it would really matter which one came first since their base topic is so common. But I really think the thing that strikes me as the most interesting similarity is Cedric and Whitney. It happens a lot with both Clark and Harry. Cho is taken by Cedric when he likes her, Ginny is taken by Dean Thomas when Harry wants to date her as well... Lana is taken by Whitney, and Lois is taken by first Aquaman and then the Green Arrow before Clark gets his turn..

Proud Gryffindor
GoldScale60 POTTERMORE. FOREVERMORE.
Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > Harry Potter > The Cloak > The Pensieve