Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > Harry Potter > The Cloak > The Pensieve

Harry Potter and Star Wars only thread about similarities

Old June 2nd, 2009, 1:55 pm
Third Year

Re: Harry Potter and Star Wars only thread about similarities

Quote:
Originally Posted by meesha1971 View Post
Actually, that was in the movie. In the book, Voldemort just tried to kill Harry at that point - but Dumbledore showed up to save him.

That scene from RoTJ actually mirrors the beginning scene of RoTS where Palpatine tells Anakin to kill Count Dooku - which he did.

I was just thinking that actually - the difference is that it is Leia who tells Han that Luke is her brother while it is Harry who tells Ron that he loves Hermione like a sister. And, of course, Han was older and handled it better than Ron did at 18 - being prepared to step aside until Leia set him straight. But the two scenarios were very similar.
If you look at them individually they have similar characterizations.

Leia and Hermione is obviously the brains of the outfit both of them bossy often used as the plot dump.

Ron and Han, both cynics with good hearts and quite emotional, but compared to Han he is brash often looks before he leaps and gets into plenty of trouble with Ron I'm not to sure about that.

Who the Heck Recast?

See my HP music videos at Youtube...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PAAm8ogssSU What is behind the Shell?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WBRqBm52n-8 Is Harry "Good Enough" by Evanescence
Read My Crossover Fanfic: Goblet of Fire
http://www.cosforums.com/showthread.php?t=114176
Sponsored Links
Old July 17th, 2009, 10:21 pm
First Year

It's hard to fathom all the similarities people have come up with. I guess I just don't have an analytical enough mind. I just enjoy the escapism of submerging myself into the fantasy of it.

Old September 23rd, 2009, 2:23 pm
Lycanthrope

Quote:
Actually, that was in the movie. In the book, Voldemort just tried to kill Harry at that point - but Dumbledore showed up to save him.

That scene from RoTJ actually mirrors the beginning scene of RoTS where Palpatine tells Anakin to kill Count Dooku - which he did.
Except of course Dooku wasn't Anakin's father and had no good in him. The ploy was the same from Palpatine's view, but he didn't take the family relationship into account.

Old March 22nd, 2010, 9:36 pm
First Year

I never really thought about this, but what about James Potter, and that random Trevor kid from The Last of the Jedi book series?

Old December 3rd, 2010, 10:18 pm
Secret Chocolate Keeper

There are similarities between Harry Potter and Luke Skywalker as characters, mainly because they both follow the "hero's journey" narrative archetype

Luke lives a mundane life on a moisture farm. Harry lives a mundane life under the stairs.

Luke has a murky family history he's initially unaware of. So does Harry.

Luke must face the Emperor. Harry must face Voldemort.

The Emperor has physically been warped by dark power. So has Voldemort.

Luke has the Force. Harry has Magic.

The Jedi and Sith are Force users. The Order and the Death Eaters are magic users.

Luke has history with Darth Vader. Harry's history is tied to Snape

Vader serves the Emperor. Snape serves Voldemort.

Vader seeks redemption for crimes against the woman he loved. So does Snape.

Han Solo is earnest and a loyal friend. So is Ron.

Leia is a rock of stability. So is Hermione.

Luke is friends with Chewie, a hairy, but friendly giant. Harry is friends with Hagrid, a hairy, but friendly giant.

Luke has a lightsabre. Harry has a wand.

Luke is guided by a old sage who dies of his own will (Obi Wan). Harry is guided by an old sage who dies of his own will (Dumbledore).

Luke discovers he has great power within him. So does Harry.

Luke is raised by an aunt and uncle who conceal his true past from him. So does Harry.

Luke gains knowledge from a small creature (Yoda). Harry gains knowledge from small creatures (Dobby and Kreacher).

The Emperor's Force lightning kills Vader. Voldemort's snake kills Snape.

Luke is with Vader in his dying moments. Harry is with Snape in his dying moments.

Old April 4th, 2011, 3:16 am
Hogwarts Graduate

Cool thread. I just became a fan myself, so I am not knowledgeable like I imagine most of you people are. Yesterday we were discussing with a friend who was creepier and scarier, if Palpatine, Vader or Voldemort.

I personally find creepier and scarier Palpatine. Voldemort I think is a great Villain, but what scares me personally about Palpatine is his ability to brainwash. To find weaknesses in others and sell his ideas so properly he is convincing. I believe if he had tried to turn Harry to the dark side he would have not succeded, Anakin was different , but still , it was not Anakin who fell victim to his double faced plan. All the Jedi, were fooled as well, perhaps because they were focusing too much on the future , whatever the excuse, but they were. I fear above all double faced people ,who appear to be something they are not and stab you in the back . Maybe this is the reason why I find Palpatine more scary than Voldemort. Voldemort on the other hand, is evil and he does not hide it. He did have that ability to convince others to do what he needed them to do , but declared himself a villain sooner than Palpatine did, or at least that is my perception so far. Dont forget I am a newbie to this. I prefer this kind of people who are evil but you know it, and you are aware what to expect, this makes them, not less dangerous but at least you are on guard fearing them to do whatever might hurt you. Vader, I dont even consider him scary , i do feel sorry for him.

I would be thrilled to read other people´s opinion, specially people that are more knowlegeable on the topic

the days may go , the years pass, but Potter will always be in my heart.
Pottermore: Wingdawn148
Wand: sycamore core: Phoenix
surprisingly swishy
Old April 20th, 2011, 7:11 pm
Third Year

One little tidbit...

On the production side of the films...

Both had Warwick Davis in the Cast
and John Williams Composing!

Who the Heck Recast?

See my HP music videos at Youtube...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PAAm8ogssSU What is behind the Shell?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WBRqBm52n-8 Is Harry "Good Enough" by Evanescence
Read My Crossover Fanfic: Goblet of Fire
http://www.cosforums.com/showthread.php?t=114176
Old May 17th, 2011, 1:55 am
First Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by wickedwickedboy View Post
I wonder if Ginny will ultimately be killed by Hugo? . The distinction was Ginny was inadvertently and unknowingly controlled, whereas Mara was a true little die hard minion of her own will. But they were both red heads as was Tenel Ka Djo - but her story rather mimicked Padme's with a better ending and that particular storyline didn't make it into HP.

Yeah wandless magic was kind of like the Force. But it was never shown to take on the dynamic aspects of the Force. We never get anything like Force lighting or light saber duels and the acompanying acrobats - or the Force Death Stare . Although the Pensieve had similarities to Flow Walking - although as shown through Jacen, one actually could change events during Flow Walking (Tahiri got her kiss in) - which wasn't possible in the Pensieve.
I have to disagree with this one. I mean, yeah, we never got real force lightning or anything that legit, but Snape did create the spell he put in the HBP potions book. Also, Priori Incantatem can be analogized to force lightning (of a sort). Magic is most definitely dynamic and changeable, and wands and light sabers are similar. Each has its own wizard/jedi that controls it best, and it is frowned upon to possess the wand/lightsaber of another.

Old July 19th, 2011, 10:54 pm
First Year

awesome, thank you for this, I'm going to use this for my son. He loves Star Wars but I haven't been able to get him to watch or get into HP.

Old July 25th, 2011, 7:51 pm
Second Year

[quote=skullangel;5318136]
Quote:
That of
Ron and Hermione
Han and Leia...

At times I could almost see Ron and Hermione bickering... She called him "Why you stuck-up, half-witted, scruffy-looking nerf herder!"
"Han Solo: Who's scruffy-looking?" Ron would not be out of place to say this.

"Wonderful girl. Either I'm going to kill her or I'm beginning to like her." This can be almost attributed to Ron during their first year.

The bickering couple who later falls in love, but Ron as we have seen wonders if Harry has feelings for Hermione and later after getting the sword tells him, He loves her like a sister... "Sound familiar" This is a counter scene to when Leia and Han towards the end of Return of the Jedi where Leia tells Han, Luke is his Brother... In the end both Ron and Han are thunderstruck!
I couldn't have said it better myself!

In favor of Book 7 being as long as an unabridged dictionary!

You people seriously need to understand me!

Dragon Heartstring Ash 7 inches
Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > Harry Potter > The Cloak > The Pensieve