Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > Harry Potter > Muggle Studies

Discussion: Deathly Hallows Movie Part One

Old November 30th, 2010, 7:49 pm
Fifth Year

Re: Deathly Hallows Part 1 - Open Discussion v.2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wimsey View Post
However, in the end, it was just the sum of its parts: no story (which really is the part of the sum greater than the sum of its parts) ever emerges.
It did tell a story about three friends giving up everything they have to go on this journey for the Greater Good, a journey threatening to tear them apart. It's a film about friendship, sacrifice & loss of innocence among others things which is resolved by Dobby's death. However messy or bad told, how can a film or novel not tell a story?

While Kloves could have done a better job communicating that story, he did add a scene of Hermione wiping out her parents' memories which is important to the overall theme of the film, and it is brought up again later. The hallows/horcruxes dilemma is a loss, but it wouldn't work anyway the way the film was structured. I believe it needed to be introduced an hour or so into it to have any impact on the narrative. I was a little disappointed, though, that they neglected so much of Dumbledore's backstory (which was nicely set up at the wedding but later forgotten about) and put so little emphasis on the crisis of faith theme.

Last edited by Noldus; November 30th, 2010 at 8:01 pm.
Sponsored Links
Old November 30th, 2010, 8:06 pm
Curse Breaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noldus View Post
However messy or bad told, how can a film or novel not tell a story?
Lots of films and books fail to tell stories: the Columbus film were widely panned for failing to do that. My favorite review of Attack of the Clones opened with a simple line: if you do not understand the difference between plot and story, then watch this film; it is all plot and no story. A story is the thing that transcends the particular details and that emerges only from their concatenation. It is what makes this art: "story" is the abstraction that does not exist on its own, but only from the presentation.

A good analogy is music. Music is to notes what story is to narrative: the abstraction that comes from some "gestalt" aspect of the combination of the particulars. If you take the same notes and change the presentation, then you can effectively change the song. (A gazillion popular tunes work on a G-A-D sequence, for example.) Moreover, if you do not organize the notes properly, then you don't have music. A virtuoso violinist playing scales is playing beautifully: but she's not playing the potential building blocks of music, not music. In a sense, this film was like watching the gifted instrumentalist play scales and arpeggios rather than a proper piece!

This film didn't tell a story about friends giving up everything: that was just something that happened early on. Now, it could have done so if it had shown Harry continuing to wrestle with how much more he has to give up, whether he should be giving up anything, etc. But it didn't do that any more than it showed Harry dealing with the issue of isolation.

Quote:
While Kloves could have done a better job communicating that story
The fault almost certainly lies with Yates. The script sets up telling the story, but story is like the control sentence of a paragraph: all the scenes (or at least most of them) have to be linked by the concept. That comes down to the director. Just having the control line there isn't even enough: it's a question of emphasis.

Until the script is leaked on line, we won't know exactly where the blame lies. However, with Stone and Chamber, Kloves did leave the building blocks for the story there. I'd bet that it was there here, too: but that because they did not have a clear sense of how they were ending part 1, they didn't have the control concept in their mind while filming it, and thus did not leave any unifying overprint on what was filmed.
Quote:
I was a little disappointed, though, that they neglected so much of Dumbledore's backstory (which was nicely set up at the wedding but later forgotten about) and put so little emphasis on the crisis of faith theme.
That was key for Rowling's communication of Hard vs. Wrong choices concerning the Greater Good. A key lesson that Harry had to learn is that good intentions can lead to very bad deeds (or at least the consideration of them), and that there are many pathways towards becoming a good person other than "I was just born good." Harry's doubts about Dumbledore's actual ethics spill over into doubts about what he (Harry) should be doing and if he even is serving any good by hunting Horcruxes. The Hallows get mixed up in this: Dumbledore seemingly left Harry out to dry with little clue about the remaining Horcruxes and not even instructions as to how to destroy them. In Harry's mind, the Hallows become a possible "shortcut" to his goal, even if he has no clearly formed idea about how Hallows would defeat Horcruxes.

Now, if the film had managed to work that onto the screen, coupled with the opening that it had, then wrestling with one's place in the greater good would have been the commonality emerging the narrative. And then having the film end with Harry ceding the Hallows (or one of them, anyway) to Voldemort while deciding to pursue another Horcrux would have been an "act-level" ending.

ďIf in the first act you have hung a pistol on the wall, then in the following one it should be fired. Otherwise don't put it there.Ē - A. P. Chekhov, Gurlyand's Reminiscences, and who knew why the Dog was long before the Shack!

Last edited by Wimsey; November 30th, 2010 at 8:13 pm.
Old November 30th, 2010, 8:07 pm
Third Year

72. What did you think of the movie? Did it live up to your expectations or were you disappointed the trio didn't stay in five star hotels finding another horcrux every other day and making it home for the holidays?

I LOVED the film! I've seen it three times in theaters and that is definitely saying something. It lived up to my expectations and the only thing I was disappointed with was with Malfoy Manor.

73. How many times have you seen the movie so far? Do you plan any more viewings?

Three! Once by myself at midnight, opening weekend with a friend, Thanksgiving with my brother. As I said, I can't recall ever seeing a movie three times in theaters (especially not in the first two weeks!) so that's definitely saying something.

74. What did you think of the split-point? How do you feel about the split in general now?

I never minded splitting it into two movies. I do not see how anyone could complain about more Harry Potter! Trying to put the whole book into one movie would have meant extensive cuts and an enraged fan base at some of the content that gets left out (GoF anyone?). I also like where they split it. I think leaving the viewer with our trio in seemingly desperate straights - narrowly escaping imprisonment and torture, losing a friend and ally - and Voldemort with this great triumph definitely leaves the viewer anxious for the 2nd part and wondering how our trio will ever triumph.

75. What was your biggest pet peeve about the film? What did you love most about the movie?

I loved the focus on the characters. I loved seeing our three young actors rise to the occassion. Looking back at how far these actors have come is truly awesome.

My biggest pet peeve is the depiction of Malfoy Manor. As one of my favorite chapters in the book, just because I love the sense of hopelesness and desperation, I was really looking forward to seeing this on film. I thought the scenes felt rushed - Harry and Ron were imprisoned for about 10 seconds before Dobby appears, they barely talked to Ollivander and Luna, you hardly notice there's a goblin down there with them. More importantly, I thought there was not the same sense of hopelesness you have in the books. A large part of that I think has to do with the fact that they took away Ron's desperation (offering them to take him, half-sobbing, pounding the walls and screaming for Hermione while she was being tortured) while everyone else is trying to get out of there. And don't even get me started on the ill-timed comic relief...

Oh yeah, and Dumbledore's tomb...what was up with that thing?

76. What did you think of the music in context of the film?

Aside from the Obliviate music and Snape to Malfoy Manor I cannot remember much about the soundtrack so I guess it didn't stand out much to me. Those two tracks are exceptional though and beautifully done. I look forward to hearing the music in the Battle of Hogwarts and on Harry's walk into the forest, as well as a possible Ron/Hermione theme.

77. Did you cry at anytime during the movie?

My eyes tear up every time Hedwig gets hit with the green jet of light and you hear her screech and watch her tumble to the earth. This was one of the changes to the book I really didn't mind and actually enjoyed. I loved that the music is soaring triumphantly as she flies back to Harry and then it just ends so abruptly and she's just gone...poor loyal Hedwig...

78. Does the end of this movie make you crave to see part two?

Most definitely! I am very glad that I knew where it ended though otherwise I would have been left wanting even more.

"We spent time here, we made friends here. Thatís a part of us.
Because Hogwarts is bigger than any of us, itís bigger than any of its Founders.
And it's gonna be around here long after weíre gone. Maybe weíll see our kids go here.
Thatís the thing about Hogwarts: no matter how long youíre away from it, thereís always a way back."
Old November 30th, 2010, 8:46 pm
Clumsy Interrupting Cheese Toupeť & Scrambled Eggs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hes View Post
So, you've seen the movie, what do you think? Were all the bits in there that you wanted? Was the "end" what you expected/wanted? Use this thread for open discussion amongst one another for the movie.

Remember the Forum Rules are in place. Anyone who decides to be too opinionated in their views and cause problems won't last long.
I liked it ok.

But I did have some issues:

I really didn't like how the Patronuses looked this time around. Too dim looking for some reason. I liked how they looked better in POA and OOTP (iirc). They were nice, solid and bright there. Now they were rather dim and blue colored. I had to squint at times just to see them.

And as for both the chase scene and the flash backs: Both of those parts of the movie were WAY too fast and in your face. I couldn't even enjoy them or even try to keep up with them. -- This for the most part, was my biggest issue with the overall movie.

I like to see regular chase scenes... ones that you can keep up with and not feel like you're being taken outside a movie and/or having it shoved in your face.

On a side note, saw a nice one (chase scene wise) in The French Connection -- it lets you the audience member experience the chase at a distance and has the camera stay still.

Didn't like the whole shaky camera thing during the chase. It annoyed me to no end .

72. What did you think of the movie? Did it live up to your expectations or were you disappointed the trio didn't stay in five star hotels finding another horcrux every other day and making it home for the holidays?

I thought that they did a good job in terms of the acting and stuff. Yea it did, I figured that had to end things somewhere.

73. How many times have you seen the movie so far? Do you plan any more viewings?

Once. I might watch it again on DVD though.

74. What did you think of the split-point? How do you feel about the split in general now?

I thought it was an ok point to end the film.

75. What was your biggest pet peeve about the film? What did you love most about the movie?

*mentioned my peeves earlier on in the post*

The part with Nagini coming out of Bathilda Bagshot. That scared the baloney out of me. Very well done there.

As for the fake Harry/Hermione... the only thing I was in shock about scene wise there was that they were both nude. I know you can't really see much, but it still threw me for a loop . I pictured that scene as the two of them kissing -- wearing clothes. The effects weren't the best there. But I did love Ron's reaction, so human and real.

The overall creepyness. I thought they did a good job with the whole 1984-like vibe in the ministry and such.

I thought it was ok. Didn't notice that much of it though to be honest.

When Dobby died, I almost cried. It was really sad.

Yep, for the most part.

RIP Uncle Bob . 1933-2016 Thanks for everything and thanks for the memories. We love you and miss you.

RIP my older cat. I'll miss you, my wonderful furry friend. RIP Anthony Bourdain.

RIP Harry Anderson, aka: Judge Stone (Night Court). Thanks for the memories.

Sad about the upcoming closing of the forums, but I won't forget you guys, thanks for the memories!

Proud fan of the TV show, The X Files and proud shipper of Mulder and Scully!!

RIP Toys R' Us. Once a Toys R' Us Kid, always one.

Last edited by Fawkesfan1; December 2nd, 2010 at 11:55 pm. Reason: they're patronuses, not animagi =p
Old November 30th, 2010, 9:43 pm
Fifth Year

It was pretty fantastic. I think it captured the mood of the book brilliantly. The despair everyone was feeling was everywhere.

Ive only seen it once. I may not see it again in the theater. I plan to own the DVD and watch the bleeding hell out of it though.

I was always for the split due to the idea that more detail can be added so my opinion on that hasnt changed. The split point was perfect for me. It made the most sense to split the film when the Trio got to the cottage and when Voldy takes the wand. It adds to the suspense.

Some of the Harry/Hermione situations were a little too...filled with tension. That sort of tension isnt really supposed to be going on between those two so it kind of annoyed a bit.
Voldy/Harry visions felt disjointed. Id imagine non-readers would find that confusing.
Grindelwald basically telling Voldy where the wand is. :/
Bathida and Harry speaking in Parseltongue. I wasnt pleased. I figured they would have then conversing in English in an eerie manner but the Parseltongue was just...odd.

I cant really recall the score but i do remember it fitting well and didnt have any gripes about it. The Nick Cave song was epic though.

Not outright. The very beginning with Hermione Obliviating her parents was just heartwrenching. I teared up a bit there. Dobby's death made me tear up a little too.

Oh god yes!

Pottermore: PatronusBat
Please do not add me on Pottermore without owling me first! Or else my wand will speak for me!
Old November 30th, 2010, 9:49 pm
Sixth Year

[quote=MasterOfDeath;5660801]

Yes, it exceeded my expectations. I went into the movie, not expecting much after I was disappointed with HBP. I never expected to come out of the theater with DH beating out PoA on my list.

I've seen it twice. I would love to see it at least 1 more time, but since I live about an hour from any decent theaters, I think I'm going to have to wait for the DVD for further viewings

I'm perfectly fine with the split. I knew where it was going to happen so it wasn't a big surprise.

My biggest pet peeve for this film was the misplaced humor. Such as Dobby and Luna in Malfoy Manor. I know it was to lighten the mood and stuff, but it bugged me that people were laughing at Dobby and Luna's lines while Hermione is screaming as she's being tortured

My favorite thing about this was how well it did in terms of being true to the book. Sure, things were cut out and some plots may be confusing since the films didn't do well to explain them, but I felt this one did well.

Also, people say it was boring because of the camping. I loved it and I think it's because of the character development we got to see on screen, which is something I find interesting and fun to watch, even more so than scene after scene of action.

The music was okay. I wish there was more of "Hedwig's Theme". The only song that stood out for me was 'Obliviate' in the very beginning. It really added to the sad moment of Hermione erasing her parent's memories

Also, 'O Children' is a great find and fits perfectly in context of that scene

Not cry, but I certainly teared up. When Hermione is erasing her parent's memories and we see her disappear from her photos I didn't think I'd be tearing up in the first few minutes. Also when Hermione's being tortured simply because it was heart-wrenching and horrible to listen to.

Definitely I have expectations for Part 2, hopefully I am not disappointed.

Pottermore: SnidgetCharm86
Old November 30th, 2010, 11:19 pm
First Year

Back to 79% on Rotten Tomatoes!

Old November 30th, 2010, 11:39 pm
Third Year

I was wondering where the questions came from, lol. I wanna play!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterOfDeath View Post
DH1 has finally come out and we're at the end of the month. Time for new questions!

MoD's Silly Questions, YOUR Amazing Answers; Series Two: DH1, Question List 11
Beginning of the End

I LOVED, LOVED the movie. It surpassed my expectations because I was pleased at how close to the book I overall found it to be. Nope, no complaints about the trio not staying in five star hotels, lol. I've heard complaints that the camping scenes were too long and that they dragged--Which in my opinion means the film did a great job of recreating the book's camping scenes.
And imo, the scenes did not drag. I loved the character development it permitted.

Sadly, only once. But it has stayed in my mind since. I hope I do get to see it at least one more time in the theater before I am left waiting anxiously for the DVD.

I thought the split-point was perfect. I do wish it would have included one last shot of Harry though, with a look of terror commenting that Voldemort had the elder want. (Stole this insight from Mugglecast, lol). I would have really drove the point home.

Uh-oh. I have a list of pet peeves, lol.
1). Lack of development of Ginny Weasley, though this has been the case throughout the films, imo. She should have really been brought more to the forefront starting in OOTP. I feel like her relationship with Harry is no more significant than Harry's past relationship with Cho. The films just have not done a good job with her character, which is unfortunate because in the books, I really cared for Harry & Ginny's relationship. I don't in the movies though.

2). It really would have been nice to see Harry & Lupin's fight. In the book, Lupin is one of my favorite characters, and I think he is great in the films as well, but he doesn't get enough screen-time. I do hope Part 2 somehow manages to squeeze in Lupin making Harry his son's godfather, because I think this is one of the most touching moments in the series.

3). I think the film audience should have been made aware that Snape damaged George's ear.

4). Harry should have taken Moody's eyeball, lol.

5). I wished they would have included Dobby's headstone, "Here lies Dobby, a free elf."

What I loved most about the movie--Everything else, lol. The tone of it was just so much more mature, which is exactly how I found the book to be. I loved the trio--I think their acting was really great. And there were so many scenes that I just really enjoyed--Hermione's obliverate scene, the 7 Potters, Ron & the locket horcrux, Harry & Hermione dance, Harry & Ron's scene after the locket horcrux, the Malfoy Manner, the graveyard scene, Bathilda Bagshot...

I think it was fine. I admit, I don't often pay much attention to the music. The only music that stands out to me was the song in the Harry/Hermione dance scene, which I loved.

Well, I would have cried at Hedwig's death had I watched it, lol. That part actually made me cry in the book, so when I saw Hedwig on the screen and knew what was coming, I chickened out and looked away, lol. But I am now aware that in the film, Hedwig died protecting Harry. She took a curse for him, which is such a beautiful and noble way for her to go out. Next time I see the film, I will watch.
Dobby's death too was sad. It made me cry in the book, but not in the movie because I also felt Dobby was allowed to go out in a more peaceful way. In the book, I remember his last words were simply "Harry Potter." In the films, he got to give a nice little speech, showing that he was happy with how his life had turned out and he had no regrets. I think this made his death a little easier to take, though it was still extraordinarily sad.

YES!

Last edited by PotterGurl08; November 30th, 2010 at 11:42 pm.
Old November 30th, 2010, 11:44 pm
Second Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by bellatrix93 View Post
From the previous version:

This seems to be the case with all Yates' HP movies, I haven't seen the four first movies in a long while, but I'm almost sure they aren't that dark. By the end of DH my eyes hurt so much, and I was grateful for any scene with some normal light in it.

Harry tends to use horrible curses when he is in a 'stormy' mood when he isn't exactly in control of himself, as he did multiple times in HBP and DH. But in that case (at the Malfoys') it wouldn't have helped him much. Even if he used that curse on Bellatrix, there's still Narcissa, Draco, Lucius and the Snatchers to deal with. It might've caused Bellatrix to immediately kill Hermione, which isn't what they wanted obviously.

Hmm well if Harry had landed the curse on Bella, wouldn't she be out for a bit? Also, what about during the 7 Harry's? Surely he would of shot the spell at one of the De's who was chasing him.

Btw- This is my friends question, not mine although i can see where he's coming from lol. It's just the type of thing we moviegoer's think about .

-I have NOT read the Potter books, only watched the movies...sadly.
Old November 30th, 2010, 11:53 pm
Pernicious Blood Traitor

Quote:
Originally Posted by LupinTheGreat View Post
Hmm well if Harry had landed the curse on Bella, wouldn't she be out for a bit? Also, what about during the 7 Harry's? Surely he would of shot the spell at one of the De's who was chasing him.

Btw- This is my friends question, not mine although i can see where he's coming from lol. It's just the type of thing we moviegoer's think about .
Well, Jo says Harry's not a saint.

However, when applying Crucio it needs certain amount of focus on a single individual. Which really isn't a smart idea to do while battling multiple opponents - devote time to only one, leaving yourself open to all the others - as Harry/Hagrid were doing in the escape from Privet Drive. Better to do what was done in the books, indiscriminately tossing spells at his various targets, in a quick-fire succession.

What matters is not the length of the wand, but the magic in the stick.

"So that doesn't clear anything up but it elucidates what I believe. But I don't think it's necessarily going to convince people who have a strong feeling, one way or the other, on the matter. You know what, that's been the case with most of "Harry Potter". I gave my explanation and it just fuels more debate." ~ JK Rowling

'Here he took out the stone that had the power to recall the dead, and turned it thrice in his hand.' ~ Thrice...go Team CoCo.
Old November 30th, 2010, 11:58 pm
Second Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kat_Suki View Post
Well, Jo says Harry's not a saint.

However, when applying Crucio it needs certain amount of focus on a single individual. Which really isn't a smart idea to do while battling multiple opponents - devote time to only one, leaving yourself open to all the others - as Harry/Hagrid were doing in the escape from Privet Drive. Better to do what was done in the books, indiscriminately tossing spells at his various targets, in a quick-fire succession.
Hmm, well based on how fast Sectum Sempra was done in HBP, couldn't he have used that on the DE's?

-I have NOT read the Potter books, only watched the movies...sadly.
Old December 1st, 2010, 12:26 am
Pernicious Blood Traitor

Quote:
Hmm, well based on how fast Sectum Sempra was done in HBP, couldn't he have used that on the DE's?
Sure he could, but he wasn't thinking to toss out Dark Magic, IMO.

Nearly always, except when filled with righteous anger, Harry is seen not attempting Dark Curses but rather using 'the right type of magic' - if that makes any sense.

He used that curse once on Malfoy not knowing what it did, he wouldn't have if he'd known. He wasn't aiming to maim/kill, just like in Deathly Hallows book/film - he wasn't aiming to kill or maim, just to keep them off him/Hagrid. Yes, it was sad when Hedwig got hit, but I don't think Harry had time to give in to righteous anger over it. With Snape, later in the book/film, he is filled with rage over the death of Dumbledore, so naturally boosted by righteous anger, he tosses Sectumsempra at the fleeing Potions Master.

What matters is not the length of the wand, but the magic in the stick.

"So that doesn't clear anything up but it elucidates what I believe. But I don't think it's necessarily going to convince people who have a strong feeling, one way or the other, on the matter. You know what, that's been the case with most of "Harry Potter". I gave my explanation and it just fuels more debate." ~ JK Rowling

'Here he took out the stone that had the power to recall the dead, and turned it thrice in his hand.' ~ Thrice...go Team CoCo.
Old December 1st, 2010, 3:03 am
First Year

Quote:
Hes, would you mind also posting a link to the previous thread so that people know where they left off?

I know i had a question to Weasley9 in the previous thread but don't remember exactly what i had written lol!
i have to agree. i hate having to go to my profile just to see where i last left. there are a bunch of harry potter flairs from the first movie to the one thats out now on facebook. i probably got like 30 of them

I loved seeing our three young actors rise to the occassion. Looking back at how far these actors have come is truly awesome.

MsBinns, these guys aint so young anymore. miss watson is my age, daniel is a year older and rupurt is two years older.

I loved seeing our three young actors rise to the occassion. Looking back at how far these actors have come is truly awesome.

MsBinns, these guys aint so young anymore. miss watson is my age, daniel is a year older and rupurt is two years older.

Old December 1st, 2010, 3:37 am
Third Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by princesseliza46 View Post
Oh, I'm well aware of how old they are. Twenty-two still seems young to me! (especially when I still see them as 13 and 14 year olds haha)

I just wanted to share the reaction of a couple of my 10 graders who couldn't wait to tell me they'd seen the film over break when I saw them yesterday morning.

One young man, who has only seen the movies, told me he really loved it "except there was this scene where Harry and Hermione kiss...that was weird. I didn't like that." I asked him if the only reason he didn't like it was because *he* wanted to be the one kissing Emma Watson and he turned all red and left. I'm such a mean teacher! Three of my other tenth graders, who all have only seen the films, also loved it. I know I'm always curious how people who haven't read the books enjoy them so I just thought it was interesting.

"We spent time here, we made friends here. Thatís a part of us.
Because Hogwarts is bigger than any of us, itís bigger than any of its Founders.
And it's gonna be around here long after weíre gone. Maybe weíll see our kids go here.
Thatís the thing about Hogwarts: no matter how long youíre away from it, thereís always a way back."
Old December 1st, 2010, 4:35 am
First Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsBinns View Post
One young man, who has only seen the movies, told me he really loved it "except there was this scene where Harry and Hermione kiss...that was weird. I didn't like that." I asked him if the only reason he didn't like it was because *he* wanted to be the one kissing Emma Watson and he turned all red and left. I'm such a mean teacher!
Great for that guy to tell his feelings out loud. I share the same opinion lol. Tell him next time that he isn't the only one and theirs nothing to be shy of . Problem is that i never kissed a girl haha (I guess im only 15 so i got a long way ahead Lol!)

Hufflepuff
Old December 1st, 2010, 4:41 am
Second Year

Beginning of the End

Absolutely loved it! Can't really say I had any expectations. I was probably expecting to react to this movie as I have done the past few and find it entertaining and satisfying but not necessarily expecting something I could objectively say with certainty was good. In that respect, it has surpassed my expectations I suppose. I feel like, even stepping out of my "fan shoes", I can say this movie was a standout!

Three times within five days. I would like to see it more times on the big screen but that all depends on whether I can find friends who don't already know how many times I've seen it and haven't already seen it themselves!

I think the split was perfect. I can't really see how they could've done it any other way. Some ways that have been suggested would sure leave us with a cliffhanger but would also leave us with little resolution. So, I think the cut was made at the most appropriate place. Always been on board with the split. But even more so now. There was so much character development in DH1, which I just know would've been cut if the movie hadn't been split.

Biggest peeve: not explaining how Harry got the mirror shard. Loved the character development, the acting and the realisation of some epic scenes!

Was only aware of the music in the opening 40 minutes or so. After that it seeped into the background. I'm still not sure if this is a good thing or a bad thing. I did notice the lack of music in the chase scene though. I think this made it more intense and raw. I liked it!

No, but I find it hard to cry and public. I know I will cry in DH2 though.

Oh boy, yeah!

Quote:

I just wanted to share the reaction of a couple of my 10 graders who couldn't wait to tell me they'd seen the film over break when I saw them yesterday morning.

One young man, who has only seen the movies, told me he really loved it "except there was this scene where Harry and Hermione kiss...that was weird. I didn't like that." I asked him if the only reason he didn't like it was because *he* wanted to be the one kissing Emma Watson and he turned all red and left. I'm such a mean teacher! Three of my other tenth graders, who all have only seen the films, also loved it. I know I'm always curious how people who haven't read the books enjoy them so I just thought it was interesting.

It really is great to hear about the reactions of people who aren't as well-versed in the HP universe. Thanks MsBinns!

Also the bold is gold!

Old December 1st, 2010, 4:50 am
Sixth Year

Quote:

Oh my

Pottermore: SnidgetCharm86
Old December 1st, 2010, 1:36 pm
Second Year

Vince, I love when you post "MoD's Silly Questions". I hope you always can create such intriguing questions for us all who yearn to talk about this wonderful world we love.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterOfDeath View Post
DH1 has finally come out and we're at the end of the month. Time for new questions!

Beginning of the End

Well, seeing as I am no Ron, I must say that it definitely lived up to my expectations. The wonderful continuity Yates has brought to these films combined with screenplay that strongly adheres to canon, I was pleased as punch for the most part. However, emotionally, I am still feeling quite unsure, but as of late I am blaming that on Pre-End-Of-Deathly-Hallows-Paranoia/Depression.

I have viewed DH1 twice in the cinema so far. I'd love to attend more viewings, however, it's doubtful considering my wife didn't enjoy the movie and would likely disapprove of me indulging my Potter cravings.

One thing to say on this note: SHELL COTTAGE SPLIT SUPPORTERS UNITE!!!!!!!

I thought that the humor in this film, although brilliant in substance, was absolutely terribly placed! Seriously, so many scenes were ruined emotionally for me. And, sadly that really turned me off from loving this films to the squee point.

I really loved the acting in this film. Oh, if only this caliber of acting could have been present throughout the characterization of the last four films!

I thought the music flowed well contextually and emotionally; however, I thought the score remained too subtle in a few scenes.

My eyes burned when Dobby turned to Harry on the beach, the second time I watched since I was alone

YES! I don't know if this can be accurately attributed to the quality of the film though, seeing as how I have been CRAVING to see part two for nearly three and half years!

What an experience this has been for
us all.
Old December 1st, 2010, 5:06 pm
Fourth Year

Beginning of the End

This question made me laugh I had mixed feeling throughout the film, but once I'd left the cinema I realised how brilliant it was, I think I need a second viewing to give my final opinion on it but it was awesome, and lived up to my expectations just about considering they were so high

Only once so far but I plan more! I can't wait for it to be out on dvd to watch it over and over and over.

The split point worked for me, it was emotional and left it at a very good point to pick up I'm so glad they split it, always have been, they were able to keep in so much and I'm very happy about that. And they have a lot of time to work on part 2 so I fully expect it to be amazing.

The things that have been bugging me most since seeing it are the lack of the Lupin/Harry fight and the absence of any solid mention of Tonks being pregnant, and the fact Voldemort didn't turn up at Godric's Hollow and Malfoy Manor. I just think we needed to see how close they were coming to being within Voldemort's grasp.

The beginning was great but the music got lost in the second half of the film. I'm hoping I'll spot it more second time round and that it was just the fact I was so in to the film that meant I didn't notice it. Obliviate and Snape to Malfoy Manor were absolutely perfect though.

I welled up and Hermione wiping her parents memories and Hedwig's death but the one moment where I had full on tears was Dobby's death, I wasn't prepared for his dying speech and it flawed me!

Absolutely! I need July to come sooner

Love these questions by the way, great work!

Proud Pottermore and CoS Hufflepuff!
Old December 1st, 2010, 6:56 pm
Second Year

I loved the movie. It went beyond my expectations.

So far, only once. I'm thinking about going once more before it leaves the theaters.

It's a good point to split the movie, especially for those who haven't read the book. They may wonder if Voldy is going to win the battle.

Pet peeve: I really wanted to see the death of Peter Pettigrew by his own hand. Why did they leave this out?
Loved: 1. Ron caressing Hermione in the cafe. and 2. That hair falling through the air and Hermione watching it, knowing she might be able to use it to her advantage in the future.

The music fit in well. I hardly noticed it.

I thought I might be crying at some point, but did not; just sat there with my mouth open like a little kid.

Of course!

Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > Harry Potter > Muggle Studies