Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > Harry Potter > Muggle Studies

Discussion: Deathly Hallows Movie Part One

Old December 1st, 2010, 8:37 pm
Second Year

Re: Deathly Hallows Part 1 - Open Discussion v.2

72. What did you think of the movie? Did it live up to your expectations or were you disappointed the trio didn't stay in five star hotels finding another horcrux every other day and making it home for the holidays?

It was very, very solid. Well acted, faithful to the book, and there was a palpable sense of oppression, uncertainty, and fear. I still harbor a bit of resentment toward Yates - a competent but largely uninteresting director - who has been granted full control of how the latter portion of the film franchise turns out. The transition from HBP to DH1 is so jarring it's laughable, and he's accountable for that. Judging this film on its own merits, however, I was relatively impressed.

73. How many times have you seen the movie so far? Do you plan any more viewings?

One; not until it's released on DVD/Blu-Ray.

74. What did you think of the split-point? How do you feel about the split in general now?

Definitely the most logical juncture of the story, and even though I knew it was coming, the execution felt a bit rushed and haphazard.

75. What was your biggest pet peeve about the film? What did you love most about the movie?

Pettigrew being spared was pathetic. I'm sure they wanted to comfortably stay in PG-13 territory, but putting that scene on screen would've been incredible. As has become the norm, the under-utilization of Mr. and Mrs. Weasley, Lupin, Tonks, etc. is annoying. Just a little more would've sufficed - a scene depicting Molly's trepidation and concern about the trio's plans would've really enhanced the magnitude of the story, for instance. Grimmauld Place was far too short and felt like an obligatory stop. Some of the "humorous" lines weren't funny, and some were wholly out of place.

I did enjoy the genuine dark theme that permeated most of the film. The acting was, across the board, fantastic. In many ways, the film really did justice to the book and that effort should be commended.

76. What did you think of the music in context of the film?

I feel similarly to a lot of my fellow posters - it was unremarkable. I loved his score for Syriana (which was minimalistic but effective), so there's some disappointment that Desplat didn't do much to bolster some important moments. I also loved the absence of music, particularly given how excellent the actors performed.

77. Did you cry at anytime during the movie?

No, Dobby would've had a chance to water the eyes if they hadn't reduced him to a trite monologue.

78. Does the end of this movie make you crave to see part two?

How could it not?

Old December 1st, 2010, 11:54 pm
Third Year

72. What did you think of the movie? Did it live up to your expectations or were you disappointed the trio didn't stay in five star hotels finding another horcrux every other day and making it home for the holidays?
I loved it! It was amazing. It was pretty much everything that I hoped for. Was not dissapointed at all!

73. How many times have you seen the movie so far? Do you plan any more viewings?
I've seen it once, I want to see it again, but my mom won't let me :P

74. What did you think of the split-point? How do you feel about the split in general now?
I thought it was pretty cool. I'm pretty much indifferent to it. I just don't care for it. But I liked it I suppose.

75. What was your biggest pet peeve about the film? What did you love most about the movie?
Biggest pet peeve was probably that Dean wasn't in it. I don't know why, I was just really annoyed for some reason. But I loved everything! The Ministry scene was my favourite.

I didn't take that much notice of the music. It wasn't really there a lot of the time. The movie was kinda quite.

Dobby!

YES, YES, AND YES

Vincent Van Gogh: Hold my hand, Doctor. Try to see what I see. We're so lucky we're still alive to see this beautiful world. Look at the sky. It's not dark and black, without character. The black is in fact deep blue. And over there, lighter blue. And blue and through the blueness and the blackness, the wind swirling through the air. And then shining, burning, bursting through through the stars. And you see how they throw their light. Everywhere we look, complex magic of nature blazes before our eyes.

The Doctor: I've seen many things, my friend, but you're right. Nothing... quite as wonderful as the things you see.
Old December 2nd, 2010, 12:23 am
Third Year

I don't know if this topic can stand on its own so I'll ask it here: when the crew turned into Harrys & were on Privet drive ready to launch into the sky, one of the Harrys on the broomstick looked back at the real Harry. Who do you think that was? Hermione? Ron?

oneinthesandbox.tumblr.com
Old December 2nd, 2010, 1:00 am
First Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linda86 View Post
I don't know if this topic can stand on its own so I'll ask it here: when the crew turned into Harrys & were on Privet drive ready to launch into the sky, one of the Harrys on the broomstick looked back at the real Harry. Who do you think that was? Hermione? Ron?
I think it's Ron as Hermione is on the Thestral with Sharcklebolt.

Old December 2nd, 2010, 2:36 am
Seventh Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterOfDeath View Post
Well, that is disappointing...but it's also their problem and not mine.

I absolutely love Part 1. I loved it on first viewing, and I loved it even more on second viewing. I am very confident that, once Part 2 is out, I'll be able to call Deathly Hallows my favorite film in the series. Part 1 was about as emotionally compelling and satisfying as I'd wanted and expected.

Quote:
Twice. I'll probably see it once more in a theater before I buy the Blu-ray.

Quote:
I think it's a great place to end Part 1, and in general, I've really warmed to the separation of this into a two-parter. I think I was just thinking of it in the wrong way initially, maybe thinking of it as two movies, which is not how it is. Thinking of it as one massive film, being released in two parts to make consumption a little easier and allow for more of this fairly intricate plot and story (no, that's not redundant, plot and story are not quite the same thing) to be retained - as well as allow for more screenings in the course of a day, and sell twice as many tickets, for the two parts - makes it much more palatable. It's a five-hour movie, from a book that is very hard to adapt without totally restructuring it (which would not be a good idea, it's not worthwhile or necessary to do that, in my opinion), we're just not seeing it all at once. That's how I take it, and I'm good with that.

Quote:
I guess my biggest pet peeve - something that's not really significant as a flaw but bothers me nonetheless - is that the aerial chase and battle is basically turned into a car chase, at least in the middle. We didn't get to see that exciting action sequence in the sky that I saw in my mind's eye, and that's kind of a shame. The rest of the (also not too significant) problems I had I mentioned in my initial review. What I love most is probably Emma's performance, which I've said before, but damn, she's fantastic!

Quote:
It's fine. I didn't have any problems with it either time I saw the (first half of the) film, but I can't remember very much of it either; it's the least memorable I've ever found a score to a Harry Potter movie right after seeing it.

Quote:
I've never cried during a movie at all - that's not like macho posturing, I'm just not an easy target - but I actually really want to cry during Part 2, and at this point, I don't care when, I just feel I need the catharsis.

Quote:
Of course, but I can most definitely wait the 7+ months until Part 2; I'm in no rush to see the rest of the final Harry Potter movie.

Old December 2nd, 2010, 2:37 am
Fifth Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohsnapkid View Post

It was very, very solid. Well acted, faithful to the book, and there was a palpable sense of oppression, uncertainty, and fear. I still harbor a bit of resentment toward Yates - a competent but largely uninteresting director - who has been granted full control of how the latter portion of the film franchise turns out. The transition from HBP to DH1 is so jarring it's laughable, and he's accountable for that. Judging this film on its own merits, however, I was relatively impressed.
I think the jarring transition is something Yates did intentionally since OOTP. He often stated how he wants each film to look and feel different to reflect the story in each one and keep the series fresh (and that's why he always hire new cinematographer). We also know DH2 is planned to be very different from this too (Yates said it's going to be more of a colorful traditional fantasy, rather than the gritty realistic film like DH1).

Personally, I feel that the jarring transition from OOTP-HBP-DH1 actually helps, in a way, add more continuity to the series. HP series always has jarring transition from director to director (PS&COS - POA -GOF). The fact that Yates made each of his film different from one another actually creates unity among films of the series IMO. Now when you look at the series as a whole, you have a feeling that each film employs different style to tell its own story, and not just because there's a new director on board who just wants to put his own stamp on the franchise.

Old December 2nd, 2010, 3:37 am
Second Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThaiHPFan View Post
I think the jarring transition is something Yates did intentionally since OOTP. He often stated how he wants each film to look and feel different to reflect the story in each one and keep the series fresh (and that's why he always hire new cinematographer). We also know DH2 is planned to be very different from this too (Yates said it's going to be more of a colorful traditional fantasy, rather than the gritty realistic film like DH1).

Personally, I feel that the jarring transition from OOTP-HBP-DH1 actually helps, in a way, add more continuity to the series. HP series always has jarring transition from director to director (PS&COS - POA -GOF). The fact that Yates made each of his film different from one another actually creates unity among films of the series IMO. Now when you look at the series as a whole, you have a feeling that each film employs different style to tell its own story, and not just because there's a new director on board who just wants to put his own stamp on the franchise.
That's a great point, and I wasn't aware of that, so thanks for sharing.

I admire his effort and do think, if executed correctly, that would serve the series well. It's just that HBP was overly romantic and light. It could've still felt different if that priority had been reduced a bit.

Old December 2nd, 2010, 3:41 am
Seventh Year

Was anyone else disappointed in the Malfoy Manor scene where Ron didn't try and get Bellatrix to take him instead of Hermione?

Old December 2nd, 2010, 4:07 am
Second Year

I thought it was brilliantly done. I haven't felt this satisfied after watching a HP movie in a long time. Though I've enjoyed them all, I just had too many complaints about them. It certainly is a treat for the book fans as there weren't too many changes made from the source material.

Three times and counting actually. Will probably watch it atleast one more time. I just love watching the Potter movies with different sets of people. And given that it'll all be coming to an end soon I just want to take in as much as possible before saying goodbye.

I felt that it was the right place to split the movie, though I do feel that the Malfoy Manor scenes were a bit rushed in order to get there. But Voldemort getting the Elder Wand from Dumbledore's grave certainly had the desired effect.

Pet peeves:
I wouldv'e liked to see Harry finding Lily's letter to Sirius. I was so looking forward to this scene and I feel it should've been included as it wouldn't have taken a lot of screen time.
There shoul've been atleast a small mention of the Weasley's missing Percy during the wedding. Without this scene, Percy's return in the next movie will probably hold no significance.
Pettigrew should have been killed. He just simply should have....
Ron should have been more desperate and helpless in the Malfoy Manor when Hermione was being tortured. I realise that throughout the movie they were trying to portray him being all grown up and strong (and I loved that, this movie did justice to his character, something that has not been done since CoS) but this should have been hard on him and his reaction should have been more like what was described in the book.

Things that I loved:
The dynamics between the trio and their character development was the highlight of this movie IMO. Given that they had to carry a large chunk of the movie on their shoulders, I think they stood up to their task delivered excellent performances.
The Tale of Three Brothers Simply stunning. Kudos to them for coming up with such an inspired idea to present us this story.
Visual effects, the breathtaking locations and the action sequences.
I loved the seven Potters scene. Daniel has done a good job in trying to get everyone's body language right, especially Hermione's...

I don't have any complaints regarding the background score. I thought it captured the emotions in the scenes quite nicely.

Nah, I just never do. For any book or movie.

Well most certainly. July can not get here fast enough for me.

Last edited by Googlie; December 2nd, 2010 at 7:46 am.
Old December 2nd, 2010, 4:48 am
First Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaurentDR View Post
Great for that guy to tell his feelings out loud. I share the same opinion lol. Tell him next time that he isn't the only one and theirs nothing to be shy of . Problem is that i never kissed a girl haha (I guess im only 15 so i got a long way ahead Lol!)
i had my first kiss when i was fifteen and just a freshman in high school. and the guy i was dating was a year older then me.

Old December 2nd, 2010, 6:33 am
Second Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linda86 View Post
I think it's Ron. Credit to Daniel Radcliffe in that I think he pulls off a very 'Ron' facial expression here, which led me to this conclusion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThaiHPFan View Post

This is a very good point, something I'd never really contemplated before and I like the idea that difference actually creates continuity for the series. Very counter-intuitive but very smart! I'm really keen to see this "colourful traditional fantasy" for part 2!

Old December 2nd, 2010, 6:42 am
Second Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by GingerCat1 View Post
Was anyone else disappointed in the Malfoy Manor scene where Ron didn't try and get Bellatrix to take him instead of Hermione?
I have mixed feelings about the whole Malfoy Manor scene. Seriously, if one was in that situation, what would one truly do after being captured by a group of people intent on torture and murder? I like J.K. Rowling's version: Ron immediately steps up for Hermione, gets belted, and once able to speak again, desperately tries to escape so he can rescue her. But somehow, sitting in the theater, watching this scene on a movie screen, it was easier to see how everyone would do their best to survive this incident. Everyone had to make quick decisions: speak up or remain silent; get led to the basement or fight back against that; stay in the basement and wait for torture or death, or quickly figure out a way to escape. While not canon, movie-Ron and movie-Harry remaining calm (but too calm; there was too much light humor) until they could disapparate was believable. Unfortunately, the PG-13 rating restricted the level of violence. I think they should have made an R movie, and included all the grim moments from the book.

Old December 2nd, 2010, 7:11 am
Seventh Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirDobster View Post
I have mixed feelings about the whole Malfoy Manor scene. Seriously, if one was in that situation, what would one truly do after being captured by a group of people intent on torture and murder? I like J.K. Rowling's version: Ron immediately steps up for Hermione, gets belted, and once able to speak again, desperately tries to escape so he can rescue her. But somehow, sitting in the theater, watching this scene on a movie screen, it was easier to see how everyone would do their best to survive this incident. Everyone had to make quick decisions: speak up or remain silent; get led to the basement or fight back against that; stay in the basement and wait for torture or death, or quickly figure out a way to escape. While not canon, movie-Ron and movie-Harry remaining calm (but too calm; there was too much light humor) until they could disapparate was believable. Unfortunately, the PG-13 rating restricted the level of violence. I think they should have made an R movie, and included all the grim moments from the book.
Ron trying to convince Bellatrix to torture him instead of Hermione kind of redeemed him not only to the readers but Hermione as well (especially Hermione) as after what happened at the Malfoy Manor Hermione saw the lengths Ron was prepared to go to to protect her. In the movies this is not in there and in some ways it won't make sense that Hermione forgives Ron after the Malfoy Manor because in the movie he didn't do anything to prove his love for her like he did in the book.

Old December 2nd, 2010, 7:21 am
Pernicious Blood Traitor

Quote:
Ron trying to convince Bellatrix to torture him instead of Hermione kind of redeemed him not only to the readers but Hermione as well (especially Hermione) as after what happened at the Malfoy Manor Hermione saw the lengths Ron was prepared to go to to protect her. In the movies this is not in there and in some ways it won't make sense that Hermione forgives Ron after the Malfoy Manor because in the movie he didn't do anything to prove his love for her like he did in the book.
Yeah, they're probably gonna play it off of "in light of Dobby's death" Hermione'll forgive Ron and they're at least 'friends' again...and soon to be off on another exciting Horcrux adventure with Harry.

I wish there was more of a sense of urgency and panic from Ron in that dungeon sequence, but there just wasn't. Course, I wanted Pettigrew to get choked via that hand too.

What matters is not the length of the wand, but the magic in the stick.

"So that doesn't clear anything up but it elucidates what I believe. But I don't think it's necessarily going to convince people who have a strong feeling, one way or the other, on the matter. You know what, that's been the case with most of "Harry Potter". I gave my explanation and it just fuels more debate." ~ JK Rowling

'Here he took out the stone that had the power to recall the dead, and turned it thrice in his hand.' ~ Thrice...go Team CoCo.
Old December 2nd, 2010, 7:30 am
Ordo Lebes

I absolutely loved the film. As it went on I was increasingly impressed. Very few things I would change, to be honest.

Only once, on the midnight release. I've been so stupidly busy with school. I'm seeing it again in a few days, and after the winter break I'm heading back to the theatre a bunch of times.

Always been a fan of the split. Some people said it dragged at moments, but it's actually quite fast-paced compared to plenty of good films out there. It just wasn't rushed, which was a first. We finally got some proper character development!
The split point was amazing and they couldn't have picked a better spot.

Biggest pet peeve was the unnecessary humour in the Malfoy Manor scene. Emma and Helena were doing an incredible job acting out the torture scene, and it was really powerful, up until... Dobby and Luna cutting the tension. :/ Stupid move, IMO. I know it's PG-13, but they could have just cut to Ron freaking out and Harry planning the escape, instead of lame jokes. It also made no sense for them to be just chit-chatting and all "fancy meeting you here!" while hearing Hermione screaming in agony. Honestly... This still bothers me like crazy.

Loved most? The dance scene, and the Tale of the Three Brothers. Also, Emma's performance; she blew me away. Things I loved that they added: Hedwig's altered death was wonderful, and Hermione wiping her parents' memories. Also, loved the split point. That got my heart pumping.

Good... not great. Didn't stand out, even though I knew all the tracks already. I still enjoy listening to it though.

I was a nostalgic and emotional wreck. :P
- Hermione's parents
- Godric's Hollow, at the grave and the ruined house
- Dobby's death
- the dance scene (I guess bittersweet tears?)
- Hedwig's death

Bloody hell, YES.

Believe me. I never betrayed James and Lily. I would have died before I betrayed them.
Old December 2nd, 2010, 10:19 am
Fifth Year

It was slightly better than I thought it would be, i.e. pretty dull. The middle dragged just like the book and it took a long time before anything important happened.

Once. I may see it one more time.

I think it was probably the only spot they could split it, though it didn't work that well. The escape from Malfoy Manor was a bit of a damp squib, it should have had a terrifying atmosphere with Harry sensing Voldemort coming but it ended up very limp with little edge. The scene of Voldemort getting the wand worked alright if you had read the books, but the wands power was not set-up properly in order for the cliffhanger to really work.

The split in general was a bad idea and didn't really work in the story's favour (though I'm sure it will generate the desired income), the lukewarm general reviews all seem to agree on that. On Metacritic it is rated as the worst since Chamber of Secrets. It only had half a story. I don't like having to pay for two tickets to see one story.

My biggest pet peeve is Dobby. He looked terrible, especially next to Kreacher. His design didn't mesh at all with the post-POA world and I just didn't like what they did with him. He spoke too much during the Manor sequence and that sort of ruined the drama, it was like having a chatty Jar-Jar Binks rescue Luke at the end of Empire Strikes Back.

The best thing about the movie was the cinematography. It looked great.

It was atmospheric and complimented what happened on screen. There was little melody and almost nothing memorable about it but it served it's purpose. It was mood music.

No, though I did like the moment when Harry looks through Umbridge's files on the deceased Order members.

Not really. The more I think about how much incident there is in part 2 the more it seems part 1 was a waste of time.

Old December 2nd, 2010, 10:53 am
Ordo Lebes

Quote:
Originally Posted by yoshi2542 View Post
My biggest pet peeve is Dobby. He looked terrible, especially next to Kreacher. His design didn't mesh at all with the post-POA world and I just didn't like what they did with him. He spoke too much during the Manor sequence and that sort of ruined the drama, it was like having a chatty Jar-Jar Binks rescue Luke at the end of Empire Strikes Back.
I have to agree with this. He really was like Jar-Jar... I just wanted him to stop talking during the Malfoy manor scene, it was a bit embarrassing to watch. Also, having him unscrew the chandelier in a comedic fashion was very incongruous with the rest of the scene. Plus, yeah, he looked out of place, very goofy and cartoonish.

Believe me. I never betrayed James and Lily. I would have died before I betrayed them.
Old December 2nd, 2010, 1:27 pm
Registered Animagus

Quote:
I don't know Ron did say like hell and run at Bellatrix. That was something. I don't disagree though i wanted more panic though after seeing it again i think there was something there at least.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LilyDreamsOn View Post
I have to agree with this. He really was like Jar-Jar... I just wanted him to stop talking during the Malfoy manor scene, it was a bit embarrassing to watch. Also, having him unscrew the chandelier in a comedic fashion was very incongruous with the rest of the scene. Plus, yeah, he looked out of place, very goofy and cartoonish.
I also agree. I think that everything Dobby said in malfoy manor was laughed at. When he entered. The Luna joke. The chandelier. The serious maim or injure. And then the supposedly stirring speech at the end which people also laughed. I don't think there should have been that much laughter in such an intense scene. It sort of made the scene lose it's punch.

Old December 2nd, 2010, 3:08 pm
Fourth Year

Quote:
I'd forgotten about that moment, it is a shame they didn't keep it in but I suppose to keep the pace of it they didn't want to stop and have too many of those moments which is a shame. I think there were enough moments throughout the film to show that Ron cares about Hermione and we see her supporting her once they've escaped from Malfoy Manor which was a nice moment

I didn't mind the humour from Dobby in those scenes, purely because I wanted the audience to love him and care about him so that his death meant something, especially to the general audience who haven't seen him for a while. I

Proud Pottermore and CoS Hufflepuff!
Old December 2nd, 2010, 6:53 pm
Third Year

72.What did you think of the movie? Did it live up to your expectations or were you disappointed the trio didn't stay in five star hotels finding another horcrux every other day and making it home for the holidays?

I thought the movie was brilliant, by far my favourite up to date, I always thought it was going great, but it was so much better than I imagined. I thought that it was starting to drag once or twice (during the camping sequences) but then you would get a great scene like Harry & Ron's fight, Nagini in Godric's Hollow, the Siver Doe etc. etc.

Just the once,

It did its job, theres no better place for it. As far splitting the film, I would rather they were bold enough to give us a 5 hour movie with an intermission (even if I had to pay double), but I think we'd still be waiting for the film, so I'm all in favour at the moment.

This is a bit odd, but I don't like the way the did the title, I much rather they had Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows followed by Part 1, in a similar vain to how they had one the teaser trailer, the addition of part 1 to the title doesn't do anything for me.

I heard the soundtrack (and I love it), but I can't say I payed too much attention to it tbh, I was far too caught up in what was going on

Definately not

So much, thats the one disadvantage of split my Deathly Hallows experience is wholey incomplete I could easily have sat there for another 2-3 hours, roll on July not that I want to wish the months away.

CONSTANT VIGILANCE,If It Has To Come To Force,Then It Will
You Have To Be Prepared For What Your Up Against!!
What Are Your Strengths?
Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > Harry Potter > Muggle Studies