Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > Harry Potter > Muggle Studies

Discussion: Deathly Hallows Movie Part One

Old December 2nd, 2010, 7:17 pm
Second Year

Re: Deathly Hallows Part 1 - Open Discussion v.2

Although I enjoyed much of the film, especially the acting, the changes in the wizarding world and the camping scenes, I have my reservations about some general aspects of the film, including the amount to which certain parts of the story was used mainly as a set up for part II and how they handled the exposition.

When I read the critical reception this film has had, I cannot help noticing some general trends, which say a lot about how Harry Potter has been and is perceived by reviewers.

Many of the reviewers who find the film to be either boring or just so-so in terms of quality, seem to consider Harry Potter only as a sort of family adventure entertainment and the film as obliged to live up to their expectations for such films (light, happy, whimsical, safe). With some critics it also seems like keeping to this sections of films is the only raison d'Ítre for stories like Harry Potter. They complain that the film lacks charm and enchantment and funny magical effects, in short it betrays the brand of the Harry Potter films and contend that the films should stay true to the feel of the first half of the series.

I should perhaps not be very surprised by this, but I do find it a bit strange, especially considering that Harry Potter already several films ago clearly have left the children in the audience behind: they don't have the life experience to appreciate neither the humour nor many of the emotional troubles, especially the more subtle ones.

Last edited by jan74; December 2nd, 2010 at 7:21 pm.
Sponsored Links
Old December 2nd, 2010, 7:43 pm
Registered Animagus

Quote:
Originally Posted by SopophorousBean View Post
I didn't mind the humour from Dobby in those scenes, purely because I wanted the audience to love him and care about him so that his death meant something, especially to the general audience who haven't seen him for a while. I
I sort of wonder if it is possible for the general audience to feel for Dobby. I guess so. Certainly for the people who have seen all the films, but i don't think the humor was necessary to cause people to care for Dobby during the Malfoy Manor scene. I think there could have been better ways in keeping with the tone of the scene.

Old December 2nd, 2010, 10:14 pm
Fifth Year

My boyfriend recognized Dobby when he appeared. He didnt ask me who that was. (it seems he remembered Kreacher too...) So i think most general audiences who remember the other films remember Dobby in some way.

Pottermore: PatronusBat
Please do not add me on Pottermore without owling me first! Or else my wand will speak for me!
Old December 2nd, 2010, 10:24 pm
Registered Animagus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slartibartfast View Post
My boyfriend recognized Dobby when he appeared. He didnt ask me who that was. (it seems he remembered Kreacher too...) So i think most general audiences who remember the other films remember Dobby in some way.
Yeah and i think that is enough for me. I don't think that the comedy was needed as a way to connect to Dobby. If anything they could have made him heroic or seem badhat dialogue and not have him be funny. I mean i really liked Ron's "like hell". They could have done something like that.

Old December 3rd, 2010, 12:32 pm
Fourth Year

My sister who hasn't read the books recognised Dobby easily enough, but considering CoS is her favourite film I still think missing him out of the previous films meant his death didn't have a great enough meaning, she really couldn't understand how I cried at his death but in the cinema I was in the audience lapped up the Dobby moments, the bits at Grimmauld place and the funny bits in Malfoy Manor so I think it worked, whether it was the best way I don't know but I enjoyed it

Proud Pottermore and CoS Hufflepuff!
Old December 4th, 2010, 6:53 am
First Year

So do you guys expect to see a dvd release just for part 1? When could we expect it?

Old December 4th, 2010, 6:57 am
Sixth Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by ogaboga View Post
So do you guys expect to see a dvd release just for part 1? When could we expect it?
Yes, around March or April, I believe Correct me if I'm wrong

They'll release them as separate DVD's, I'm sure. Then maybe do release of both movies, if that's possible.

Pottermore: SnidgetCharm86
Old December 4th, 2010, 8:56 am
Fourth Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by SopophorousBean View Post
My sister who hasn't read the books recognised Dobby easily enough, but considering CoS is her favourite film I still think missing him out of the previous films meant his death didn't have a great enough meaning, she really couldn't understand how I cried at his death but in the cinema I was in the audience lapped up the Dobby moments, the bits at Grimmauld place and the funny bits in Malfoy Manor so I think it worked, whether it was the best way I don't know but I enjoyed it
The second time I saw this there were a group of 20ish people sitting in front of me who definitely hadn't read the books from what I could tell, and the moment when you see that Dobby has been injured two of them were audibly upset and one yelled out "Not that guy!". I think the movie did a fine enough job getting sympathy for Dobby, but yeah, in order for the audience to get on his side, some comic relief at Malfoy Manor had to be added.

Old December 4th, 2010, 9:53 am
Fifth Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by ParanoidAndroid View Post
I think the movie did a fine enough job getting sympathy for Dobby, but yeah, in order for the audience to get on his side, some comic relief at Malfoy Manor had to be added.
Did it work, though? The whole film had been about distancing itself from the vibe of previous films, more violence, more hopelessness, then we get this chatty elf popping up during the climax and rescuing everyone. It was a bizarre shift in tone that sullied what could have been an exciting scene. Pettigrew doesn't die, you don't get the sense that Voldemort is streaking towards the Manor, you just get Jar-Jar appearing out of nowhere and then getting knifed. Very strangely done sequence.

Old December 4th, 2010, 10:06 am
Sixth Year

72. What did you think of the movie? Did it live up to your expectations or were you disappointed the trio didn't stay in five star hotels finding another horcrux every other day and making it home for the holidays?

I suppose it exceeded them, insomuch as I wasn't expecting much, and I actually ended up enjoying it hugely. The atmosphere and the performances of the three leads were enough to keep me riveted. But putting my objective hat on, I could see a lot of problems with the telling of the story.

73. How many times have you seen the movie so far? Do you plan any more viewings?

Twice. Probably won't see it now until it's out on DVD. Not interested in 3D at all.

74. What did you think of the split-point? How do you feel about the split in general now?

I think it was a good choice, but it was handled badly - the importance of the Elder Wand wasn't built up enough, and Harry didn't have to make that crucial choice of whether to go after the Horcruxes or the Hallows, which is really at the heart of that story. Harry facing -and making - that decision would have given the ending more power.

I still feel they could, and should, have done it in one big 3-hour movie, though.

75. What was your biggest pet peeve about the film? What did you love most about the movie?

Biggest pet peeve - generally they didn't focus enough on the core of the story, and on Harry's choices. The narrative was all there, but not quite the story. And I know they wanted to emphasise the isolation of the trio, but the fan in me wanted to see Snape, Ginny, Neville and Luna at Hogwarts. Also, one of the book's most moving scenes - Harry and Ron after the locket is destroyed - wasn't there, which was a shame.

What did I love most? The atmosphere, the direction, the performances of the trio. The tent stuff never dragged, which was a pleasant surprise, and that was in huge part down to Dan, Rupert and Emma, who were all excellent.

76. What did you think of the music in context of the film?

It was all right. Not particularly memorable, but it served its purpose well. I'm afraid every HP score is destined to pale in comparison to the PoA score for me, though. Still, this one suited the film.

77. Did you cry at anytime during the movie?

A little tear, when Dobby died.

78. Does the end of this movie make you crave to see part two?

I don't know about "crave", but I am still looking forward to it.

Old December 4th, 2010, 10:55 am
First Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by yoshi2542 View Post
Did it work, though? The whole film had been about distancing itself from the vibe of previous films, more violence, more hopelessness, then we get this chatty elf popping up during the climax and rescuing everyone. It was a bizarre shift in tone that sullied what could have been an exciting scene. Pettigrew doesn't die, you don't get the sense that Voldemort is streaking towards the Manor, you just get Jar-Jar appearing out of nowhere and then getting knifed. Very strangely done sequence.
I thought the escape was great until they all stopped to have a little chat at the end. They didn't have the urgency from the books because Voldemort isn't on his way, but I can understand why he wasn't summoned, it would have been more difficult to show that he couldn't apparate straight there because he was so far away. In the book Ron apparates away with Hermione after Harry throws him the wand, but we've never discovered in the movies that you need a wand to apparate. I don't think Ron being able to apparate out tallys with the beginning of the book where Snape and Yaxley apparate outside the manor gates. So for this reason I think it's good that Dobby has to take them all, implying that wizards can't apparate out of the house at all, but they could have kept the urgency and desperation of the scene by having them all grab Dobby in a "let's get the **** out of here moment", and Bellatrix could have thrown the knife as they were grabbing Dobby, which didn't have to be in slow motion either in my opinion.

There were enough funny Dobby moments elsewhere in the film, even seconds before when Dobby answers Harry's question about whether he can apparate out with "of course, I'm an elf", which got a really good laugh out of the theatre I was in.

Old December 4th, 2010, 1:18 pm
Registered Animagus

Quote:
Originally Posted by magic_is_might View Post
Yes, around March or April, I believe Correct me if I'm wrong

They'll release them as separate DVD's, I'm sure. Then maybe do release of both movies, if that's possible.
Do we know if the film is going to be released in dvd or just blu-ray? It almost seems like movies are only being released in blu-ray now which sucks for me because i don't have a blu-ray player.

Old December 4th, 2010, 1:40 pm
Registered Animagus

Quote:
Originally Posted by decarus View Post
Do we know if the film is going to be released in dvd or just blu-ray? It almost seems like movies are only being released in blu-ray now which sucks for me because i don't have a blu-ray player.
It will be on both. WB wouldn't do that. They would lose profit.

Old December 4th, 2010, 2:42 pm
Fourth Year

Quote:
you don't get the sense that Voldemort is streaking towards the Manor,.
This is the bit that annoyed me really, like I say I liked the comedy but I would have preferred them keep the sense of danger from Voldemort, and have Harry know that he was coming. I was disappointed with Godric's Hollow for the same reason, no Voldemort. It just lessened the sense of danger for me

Proud Pottermore and CoS Hufflepuff!
Old December 5th, 2010, 12:56 am
Second Year

I've seen the movie twice now - once with my book fan brother and a friend, and once with my movie fan mom. My mom was very confused by several things, namely the difference between Hallows and Horcruxes and what they all were. The mirror threw her off as well.

I was so impressed with the trio's acting in this one! The only place where I was disappointed with any of them was when Dan mentioned Hedwig so casually at the Burrow, as though he wasn't upset by her death at all. I can't believe I'm saying this, but I actually didn't care for Helena Bonham Carter in this movie! I've loved her as Bellatrix since OotP, but I thought she was a little too over-the-top here. Even for Bellatrix.

Though I thought some of the humor in the movie was inappropriate, there were several moments that I loved. Harry's fire mishap was cute. I wish you all could have heard my mom's reaction to Scrimgeour saying "Ronald Bilius Weasley." She did this giggle-snort thing... I was holding my breath throughout the rest of the scene trying not to laugh at her! Also, when Mrs. Weasley is looking out the window as Harry and Hagrid are approaching, my brother whispered "She's going to be so ****** when they crash into her house and they have to rebuild again." Thought you guys would appreciate that.

Old December 5th, 2010, 1:02 am
Sixth Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by decarus View Post
Like someone else said, it'll be both

Maybe a combo pack too, like for HBP, I got the DVD/Blu-Ray edition so when I actually do get a Blu-Ray player, I'll already have Blu-Ray.

Pottermore: SnidgetCharm86
Old December 5th, 2010, 9:26 am
Malum Veneficus

I noticed something on my second viewing that annoyed me a bit; I didn't like Harry's reaction to Fleur's (as well as Bill's) unexpected appearance and sudden co-operation with the Order. Harry and Fleur greeted each other quite casually for two who have not seen each other in years, and Harry doesn't show the slightest surprise at her return.

Of course I'm glad they stuck to the book, but I'm sure it must seem really wierd for non-readers.

Thanks to my secret sigswitch maker, for the wonderful avatar and signature!

Sig/avatar pictures by Cassandra Austen.
Old December 5th, 2010, 10:20 am
Second Year

While I was watching the movie for the second time, my sister pointed out that the toys they show Harry looking at inside the cupboard under the stairs were in fact the same ones he was shown playing with in PS movie. I thought it was a nice touch...

Old December 5th, 2010, 11:12 am
Fifth Year

Quote:
As much as I like Dobby, I agree that the shift in tone didn't work well. The sequence could have been more exciting if Lucius actually touched the mark and summoned Voldemort and the escape was intercut with Voldemort streaking towards the Manor. The only badly directed scene in the film, IMO.

Old December 5th, 2010, 8:54 pm
Zonko's Employee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Googlie View Post
While I was watching the movie for the second time, my sister pointed out that the toys they show Harry looking at inside the cupboard under the stairs were in fact the same ones he was shown playing with in PS movie. I thought it was a nice touch...
But they weren't...Harry is playing with a man astride a horse toy. I don't see any horse toy in DH...

Hufflepuff through and through! On COS and Pottermore!
Fair, Just, Loyal and unafraid of Toil

Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > Harry Potter > Muggle Studies