Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > Harry Potter > The Cloak > The Pensieve

Harry vs Buffy: A critical analysis.

Old August 24th, 2007, 2:10 pm
The Next Great Adventurer

Re: Harry vs Buffy: A critical analysis.

Campbellian archetypes both.

A patriot is someone who wants the best for his country, including the best laws and the best ideals. It's something other people should call you -- you shouldn't call yourself that. People who call themselves patriots are usually liars. -- Donald Woods

You got what anybody gets . . . You got a lifetime. -- Death of the Endless
Sponsored Links
Old August 30th, 2007, 1:44 am
Second Year

This is amazing... while I always saw the similarities between Ron/Hermione and Xander/Willow, I never really thought about all the other ways the two fandoms are similar. And considering BtVS is my all-time favorite show, this thread is simply wonderful to me. I agree with the Snape/Spike similarities. Snape doesnt REALLY have a direct BtVS equal, but Spike is about as close as it gets.

Old September 4th, 2007, 9:29 pm
Hogwarts Graduate

Is Neville Jonathan--good at spells rather than herbology?

Old September 11th, 2007, 2:16 pm
First Year

I've thought of another possible paralell, both Harry and Buffy eventually become estranged from their respective "gouverning body", the Ministry of Magic in Harry's case and the Watcher's Council in Buffy's case. Both mentors, Dumbledore and Giles, are also taken off their posts at some time.

Old September 11th, 2007, 8:55 pm
MODLY CREW

Quote:
Originally Posted by padfootrules View Post
Spike rides a motorbike like Sirius! One of the reasons I love Sirius so much is because he is hotheaded like Spike and is restless and a true warrior.
And neither of them is perfect and they both have a habit of speaking straight from the heart without thinking. I love them both!

I wonder where Anya fits in. Her death is comparable to Fred's: she was never a major character but her death shocked me just like Fred's and she died bravely in battle. On the other hand, it is evident that Whedon was more merciful to his characters than JKR: most of the good guys survived.

Old September 12th, 2007, 8:09 am
The Next Great Adventurer

Buffy didn't want to come back from the dead which made series 6 a bit of a downer.

A patriot is someone who wants the best for his country, including the best laws and the best ideals. It's something other people should call you -- you shouldn't call yourself that. People who call themselves patriots are usually liars. -- Donald Woods

You got what anybody gets . . . You got a lifetime. -- Death of the Endless
Old September 12th, 2007, 10:04 am
Fifth Year

Where would Ron have been, (in the romantic stakes) if Hermione had met Spike?

Old September 13th, 2007, 10:53 am
First Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shewoman View Post
Is Neville Jonathan--good at spells rather than herbology?
Character-wise, I don't really see that many similarities between Jonathan and Neville. Up to Season 6, Jonathan shows up quite rarely and he is usually concerned with making himself less unimportant than he is (like in Superstar or ultimately in joining the Trio), something which Neville does not do. Although Jonathan is not a bad person, his desire to be important makes him join the bad guys.

Quote:
Buffy didn't want to come back from the dead which made series 6 a bit of a downer.
I have to say I loved Season 6, but then Buffy has never been my favorite character . Season 6 was more about Willow, and I lwas very happy about that.

These wounds won't seem to heal, this pain is just too real
There's just too much that time cannot erase...~*

http://www.cosforums.com/images/img/15853746f6c27ab964d.jpg
Old September 21st, 2007, 1:32 am
First Year

I read this comment about Ron from a JKR interview: "J.K. Rowling: Dumbledore understood Ron’s importance in the trio. He wasn’t the most skilled, or the most intelligent, but he held them together; his humour and his good heart were essential. " My first thought was "oh my god, that's a perfect description of Xander"

Old September 21st, 2007, 9:39 am
First Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wright1771 View Post
Where would Ron have been, (in the romantic stakes) if Hermione had met Spike?
Could you explain a little more what you mean with this question ? AU speculation or something else?

Old October 9th, 2007, 6:49 pm
Second Year

Okay I was a very (very, very!) causal watcher of Buffy so I might be getting this wrong. But I think I remember the episode of Buffy that has Dracula in it; it doesn't Xander get mind controlled by Dracula and end up making a mistake that almost cost Buffy her life? (I've only seen the episode once years ago so I realize I might be completely mistaken.)

But if I am right I think it also sets up a nice Ron/Xander comparison. For Ron's abandonment in DH. Both have faltered; neither has been "unbreakablely" loyal. But they are more complex human characters for their breaks and for doing what needed to be done to fix them. You can also take it a step further and say both faltered when confronted by the effects of true and powerful evil as well. Just the whisp of a thought though.

The absence of flaw in beauty is itself a flaw
Old October 16th, 2007, 12:04 pm
First Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackcatsmeow View Post
Okay I was a very (very, very!) causal watcher of Buffy so I might be getting this wrong. But I think I remember the episode of Buffy that has Dracula in it; it doesn't Xander get mind controlled by Dracula and end up making a mistake that almost cost Buffy her life? (I've only seen the episode once years ago so I realize I might be completely mistaken.)

But if I am right I think it also sets up a nice Ron/Xander comparison. For Ron's abandonment in DH. Both have faltered; neither has been "unbreakablely" loyal. But they are more complex human characters for their breaks and for doing what needed to be done to fix them. You can also take it a step further and say both faltered when confronted by the effects of true and powerful evil as well. Just the whisp of a thought though.
Yes, Xander was mind-controlled by Dracula, but I don't really see the parallel to Ron's abandonment though because Ron was not mind-controlled in the way that Xander was. I would rather draw the parallel to the end of Season 7 when the First Evil temporarily manages to split Buffy and her friends apart.

Old October 16th, 2007, 9:22 pm
Sixth Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by LouisaB View Post
For a Snape equivalent: I would say Principle Snyder. Though I hope that Snape doesn't go the same way he did.
Oddly enough they did go out pretty much the same way. Snape's snake was smaller though.

I really don't think there is a Snape equivlent in Buffy. Snape is pretty central to Harry's story..Snyder could be disposed of in season 3.

As there really isn't, IMO, an Angel/Angelus
equivlent in Harry Potter. Harry and company never really have to deal with someone who was on their side then turned on them so completely. Or plan to torment them so carefully. Bella might torture you if you were in front of her face....I don't think she sat down and planned what would be the cruelest way (look at what Angelus did to Giles vis a vis Jenny Calendar) to accomplish the torture.

Actually, I have just thought of someone who did sit down and plan out a torment on someone for revenge...Sirius Black when he pointed Snape at the werewolf Lupin.
(boy do I know how to win friends )

However I don't see Black as an equivelant for Angelus.

It does however bring up one of the "themes" ..redemption who earns it, who doesn't, who can't. You see that theme in Angel and Spike's stories....and in Harry Potter..that's Snape story...I find that redemption one of those themes you see again and again in fantasy.

Old October 16th, 2007, 9:34 pm
MODLY CREW

Quote:
Originally Posted by lorna View Post
Actually, I have just thought of someone who did sit down and plan out a torment on someone for revenge...Sirius Black when he pointed Snape at the werewolf Lupin.
(boy do I know how to win friends )
Just a reminder that the rules on character bashing are valid in here, too.

Old October 17th, 2007, 4:57 am
Sixth Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moriath View Post
Just a reminder that the rules on character bashing are valid in here, too.

No problem...but Sirius did make a plan and carried some of it out....but as far as a Buffy comparison that's it.

As far evil intent....Angelus is the master here and there is no comparison characterwise.
As I recall, Angelus planted Giles dead girl friend's body in his home, stalked Buffy, threatened her mother, asphixated Willow's fish....and I'm pretty sure that just off the top of my head.

Sirius sent Snape into a tree hoping he'd run into a werewolf.

My point was, there are some characters who just don't have a good equivelants in the other series. IMO, Snape,Angel/ Angelus and really Sirius Black don't really have a "match"
But some of themes they represent certainly exsist in both series.

Old January 9th, 2008, 8:47 am
First Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackcatsmeow View Post

Yes xander is mind-controlled but Buffy willingly goes to Dracula led by Xander thinking she is no longer under the thrall of Dracula. but Ron's abandonment in DH, I think, is similar to Xander leaving when he finds out about Buffy/spike.

Old March 23rd, 2008, 6:18 pm
Hogwarts Graduate

This has probably already been mentioned, as it's quite obvious I think, but I haven't spotted it so here goes. I see Oz and Lupin as interesting parallels, werewolfs, trying to fight the animal within, facing prejudice due to ignorance (i.e. the Initiative come after Oz). Also, both push away someone they love -Tonks/Willow- for reasons linked to their furry little problem. There are differences too, of course, Remus, to our knowledge doesn't succumb to the wolf as Oz does with Verucca, and Tonks fights her case and wins her man whereas Willow moves on in Oz's absence.

Old July 8th, 2008, 9:35 pm
Second Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anhelda View Post
And Bellatrix is Drusilla, right down to the level of insanity! (at first, I thought Glory, but Glory would never fawn over anyone the way dear old Trixie did over Voldemort).
I thought of Bella as more of a mix between Drusilla and Caleb. Caleb was the right hand man of The First and I saw a lot of Bella in Caleb. But true - Bella and Dru have that insanity down pat.

what about Adam as a possible candidate for a Voldemort type character for Buffy? He was made up of multiple beings and was so hard to kill it took the combined power of 3 people plus a slayer to defeat him.

I always thought it was interesting the correlations between Buffy and Harry. Though I compare Dumbledore's Army to that of the Potential Slayers more than to the school sequence in Season 3. Because like the DA, the PS were training to defeat evil (though they were a lot more opiniated than the DA).

Let us endeavor to live so that when we die even the undertaker will be sorry ~ Mark Twain~

"And the last enemy that shall be conquered is death" ~Deathly Hallows~

"You are free to sever the chains of fate that bind you" ~Legend of Dragoon~
Old April 16th, 2009, 12:17 am
First Year

Harry Potter vs. Buffy Summer: They both begin their journeys unaware that they are meant to do something special. They both have a disregard of following the rules and often choose to do things differently. The have little parental presence throughout the series' but have a main character that acts as their mentor/guardian. Both have a core group of friends that stick with them no matter what, even though Harry/Buffy hesitate putting the people they love in danger. They both have a sense of adventure and danger and are presented with an evil at the end of each season/book that they have to face.

Hermione Granger vs. Willow Rosenberg: Both are considered the academically intelligent person of the group. They always have a quench for knowledge that can never be filled and both are able to come up with the toughest of solutions. They have a main source of information that they feel comforted by, as such a security blanket. They're both socially challenged and mocked at by fellow students.

Ron Weasley vs. Xander Harris: The goofy and sarcastic of the group, who is often not taken very seriously. Not much help in finding the answers but always involved in saving the day. Loyal and trustworthy, but sometimes lets their insecurites get the best of them.

Albus Dumbledore vs. Rupert Giles: Both considered mentors to the protagnist and somewhat a mysterious character that much is not known about throughout most of the series.

Old April 16th, 2009, 12:32 am
Fifth Year

Wow! considering I'm a Harry Potter AND a Buffy fanatic, I can't believe I never sat and thought about any parallels between the two series, and the ones that everyone have listed are so true. There are all these aspects that are so parallel to each other, but they're executed in two totally different mediums (TV vs books). And it's a mark to the genius of both Joss and Jo that even though there are a lot of parallels between their respective series, said series are done in such different contexts (Buffy's got monsters, Harry's got other wizards to fight) that there's not any clamor over any 'stealing' or 'copying' or whatever (because there obviously wasn't).
And it would be SO. AWESOME. if Joss directed an HP film.