Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > Forum Archives > Harry Potter Archives

Why did JKR feel it was necessary for us to know the Prime Minister of Britain?

Old June 23rd, 2007, 7:01 pm
Purveyor of Prophesy

Re: Why did JKR feel it was necessary for us to know the Prime Minister of Britain?

I admit it could have been to demonstrate to the readers that although the Magical World is supposed to be secret from Muggle society, occasionally even magic cannot stop accidents or those bent on mayhem.

What I find odd is that the MoM seems to have a great deal of influence not only in Wizarding UK but also much of Europe. So, do all the Muggle Prime Ministers and Presidents have contact with wizard delegates?

When faced with a choice between two evils, I always choose the one I have never tried before.
Sponsored Links
Old June 30th, 2007, 2:17 am
Purveyor of Prophesy

Re: Why did JKR feel it was necessary for us to know the Prime Minister of Britain?

A thought has occurred to me. Perhaps the reason JKR wanted to introduce the Prime Minister of Britain is to set us up for uniting of the Muggle and Wizarding Worlds in an effort to thwart a mutual threat.

When faced with a choice between two evils, I always choose the one I have never tried before.
Old June 30th, 2007, 2:23 am
Second Year

Yes, muggles will definitly come into play in the seventh book but I don't think we will see that.

This sounds crazy but I think wizards would rather be ruled by voldemort than let muggles in on their secret. However we know there will be muggle attacks and stuff so it will be interesting to see what role the muggle world will play. Just all of the events happening from a muggle perspective would be very interesting. Maybe they think that the apocalypse is coming or something crazy like that.

this is baby E signing off
Old June 30th, 2007, 2:24 am
Curse Breaker

World Book Day Chat, March 2004Calliope: Are the Muggle and Magical worlds ever going to be rejoined?

JK Rowling replies -> No, the breach was final, although as book six shows, the Muggles are noticing more and more odd happenings now that Voldemort's back.

It's time for some football!

J.K. Rowling's Official Website FAQs
Old June 30th, 2007, 3:24 am
First Year

Hmmm.... I have no idea. ^.^ Good ideas, all.

Starbucks.
It's like a dream...
Old July 4th, 2007, 3:47 pm
Second Year

um, I think it is to show that the wizarding world are still connected to the muggle world, and muggle events.

Jo

'I am a wizard, not a baboon brandishing a stick'
Old July 5th, 2007, 7:22 am
First Year

I don't believe Jo wanted to introduce us to the character (whose presence was so insignificant that I don't recall whether he was even given a name) of the other minister. I think she was merely trying to demonstrate that the lines between the magic and muggle worlds were becoming very blurred.

Old July 5th, 2007, 2:00 pm
Fourth Year

Quote:
um, I think it is to show that the wizarding world are still connected to the muggle world, and muggle events.
Agreed.

Old July 5th, 2007, 8:29 pm
Second Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by chelle27 View Post
I don't believe Jo wanted to introduce us to the character (whose presence was so insignificant that I don't recall whether he was even given a name) of the other minister. I think she was merely trying to demonstrate that the lines between the magic and muggle worlds were becoming very blurred.
i think this is the reason i dont think he has any other ties to the story.

i love it!
Old July 6th, 2007, 4:01 am
Fourth Year

show the interface of parlement and the mom (given how old the mom
shouldnt ome link to the crown exist ?)and recap what happened from book three uptill the start of hbp

Old July 6th, 2007, 4:17 am
First Year

I agree it was to connect the muggle and wizard worlds, but it was also to show that what was going on effected everyone, not just wizards. Kind of a reminder that Harry is not happening in a far off world, but in our own, and the results are drastic all around.

Old July 6th, 2007, 4:26 pm
Sixth Year

I agree with SeventhSecret--when we read the books, it is often hard for us to remember "the other world" (except through the Dursleys) and how Voldemort's rise affects it as well. J.K., I think, wanted us to remember that.

"No trial, no error, no ability to conceptualize. Perfection would make us obsolete. Many magnificent things have been, and will continue to come into existence. And yet every last one of them will fall short of perfection's finish. Our function as men of science relies on their many shortcomings. Then, and only then, can we apply the fruits of our labor."--Mayuri Kurotsuchi, Bleach
Old July 6th, 2007, 4:50 pm
Third Year

Because it adds flavor and comic relief to the book. Personally I don't see why they should notify the Minister at all. He can't do anything about anything magical anyway except to undermine the Statute of Secrecy.

I wouldn't mind seeing Tony Blair play himself in a couple years for the movie. It would be better than being the lap- oops envoy to whatever.

Old July 6th, 2007, 8:06 pm
Purveyor of Prophesy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicole View Post
World Book Day Chat, March 2004Calliope: Are the Muggle and Magical worlds ever going to be rejoined?

JK Rowling replies -> No, the breach was final, although as book six shows, the Muggles are noticing more and more odd happenings now that Voldemort's back.
That only says that they won't be rejoined as a culture, not united against a common threat.

It is similar to France, the USA, and the UK joining with the USSR in WWII. The West remained rather aloof of the innerworkings of the USSR. We knew they existed, but because of isolationism we rarely saw what it was reality. Heck, some of the Russians (even today) think that the whole of the USA is just like 1920's/1930's Chicago; with mobsters mowing each other down with Tommyguns.

The uniting may be very loose, and the opposite sides may fight the cause in their own ways, while remaining very ignorant of one another.

Old July 7th, 2007, 12:13 am
First Year

I believe it was simply a literary convention of surprising the reader.

With the exception of the fourth book all the other books begin in the same way, thus leading the reader to believe that the sixth will too. I believe that the chapter was overall unnecessary to the plot, it was simply put in by Rowling to start us off with something a little bit different.

Or, maybe she thought it would be funny to keep us all waiting that little bit longer...

Old July 7th, 2007, 12:25 am
First Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wizard_Pupil View Post
Yes
Because wizards war in harming muggle world too.
Yea, I totally agree with that statement.

Old July 8th, 2007, 2:04 am
First Year

I think she added in that bit to bring to attention to the connection between both Muggles and wizards, and that although both worlds are very different, occurences (specifically large scale) affect not only the wizarding world, but also the muggle world.

Old July 8th, 2007, 2:26 am
Sixth Year

I think with any story, one still has to follow a certain logic and here the logic might be.....how on earth wouldn't muggles notice what's going on. They inhabit the same space as wizards, don't they.
Voldemort killed muggles as well as wizards. Death eaters collapsed a bridge did they not. Climate is changing as the dementor breeding continues. ANd somehow the muggles just blunder along oblivious??? Even in the first novel, Vernon noticed a lot...he just made a choice to ignore it.
So I think the introduction of the "other minister" was Rowling acknowledging that it's pretty hard to really hide the magical world....and dealing with it by having wizards talk with and protect the muggle prime minister.

Old July 8th, 2007, 2:44 am
Fourth Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by rigdoctorbri View Post
That was, of course, my first thought on the subject, but she really did not need to enforce that thought using the Prime Minister. We know it simply because the Dursleys are Muggles who...ahem...raised Harry with full knowledge of the existence of Wizards and that world.

I am of the mindset that her introduction of the Prime Minister, a man of huge influence in the Muggle World, foreshadows...pardon me for saying this...All Hell Breaking Loose in the Wizarding World, and it spilling uncontrollably over to the Muggle World.
Total agreement here.

When I first read it, I thought well, gee, this obviously parallels nicely the past few years, but I knew Rowling wasn't going straight political on us. It was her tone that made me know she wasn't just speaking from a soapbox.

But yeah, I follow that playwriting rule that says not to put a gun in a play if you don't plan to use it. Rowling doesn't introduce heavy plot factors without a reason for their being influential. I don't think Rowling introduced the Muggle PM just to introduce the Muggle PM and address other small factors that easily could have been inserted in dialogue at later times. Scrimgeour could easily make his way into the plot when Hermione shows Harry the newspaper with Scrimgeour in it. Many people have said they think the films will go that route if they don't show the first chapter in the film.

Point being, I think there is another purpose for the first chapter. I think Rowling was prepping us for what would become an all-out issue for all of England, both wizards and Muggles alike, in the final book. HBP showed us only a few limited actions like taking down a bridge and what seemed like a hurricane, but if Rowling really plans to show us Voldemort at his worst, there will be more and there will be weirdness for Muggles too. I can see a situation in which the end of the book will have the Muggle world more aware of wizarding activities than ever. I could even see Rowling having a situation in which the wizarding world announces itself. But who knows?

So yeah, I'm thinking there will be a lot more destruction going on. I mean, if everyone remembers, the dementors were breeding in HBP so that created the mist with lower temps, which I had to remind myself all the time was occurring throughout the book which contributes a certain mood. I can imagine more and more increasing reports of attacks on Muggles and wizards in DH because the mood in that book needs to emphasize that the world could fall into desolation if Voldemort is not stopped, and so I think there needs to be werewolf attacks, giant attacks, dementor attacks, Death Eater attacks, major attacks on certain things such as Hogsmeade, major wizard-populated locations, all of Azkaban emptied, and St. Mungo's and the Ministry of Magic partially destroyed. If such things happen, the right mood will be reached. Only with those certain events would I actually feel like Rowling has hit the do-or-die spot for Harry and the Order. And I think Rowling introducing the Muggle PM will be part of this because that way both the Muggle world and wizard world will be on the verge of collapse.

Didn't I tell you all Severus was good and that he and Lily were friends???!!!
Alan Rickman is my God.
http://www.analyzing-the-evidence.blogspot.com/
Old July 9th, 2007, 1:44 pm
Second Year

There could be another really good reason for showing us the muggle Prime Minister and everything else that happened in that chapter. I actually think it is going to play an important part of DH - strategically.

Think about it this way - if Voldemort doesn't have enough "troops" to take on the Ministry by sheer force, how else will he take over? If he wants to take a particularly well-guarded target, how does he breech the defenses?

Simple, remove them. Voldemort may be attacking muggles and muggle targets because, in terms of war, they are 'soft' targets, easy to attack but hard to defend - and an attack on them takes up HUGE amounts of resources to clean up the mess.

While the MoM has the Aurors spread all over the country trying to catch the random attackers and protect the muggle government and the Obliviators scrambling like mad to erase the muggle's memories and who knows what other Ministry employees out trying to deal with this, Voldemort has a cleaner shot at that things he really wants.

It's a diversionary tactic on Voldemort's part, I think. Perhaps THIS is where we see Ron figure things out. It's so much like a chess game.

Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > Forum Archives > Harry Potter Archives