Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > Forum Archives > Harry Potter Archives > Divination Studies

Can the films help us determine what's important for future books? v2

Old December 18th, 2004, 4:57 pm
Third Year

a clue to what exactly?
snape protecting the trio??

Sponsored Links
Old December 18th, 2004, 5:15 pm
Second Year

My newest thought is when Harry gets hit by a stone on his head and his other self could feel it also. I think in Godric Hollow there was a mix-up with time too, Dumbledore was paying close attention to his funny watch till Hagrid's arrival. Harry's connection with Voldemort could come from a mishap?

Old December 18th, 2004, 5:15 pm
Second Year

I was watching once again the PoA DVD yesterday, and found something that was rather interesting. In the last scene with Lupin, when he is packing away his belongings, and says to Harry "Since I am no longer your teacher, I don't feel guilty about giving you this" (not an accurate quote), and then says 'Mischief managed' and we get a close-up of the Maurauders Map fading. If you play back, or freeze the frame as it fades, we notice that the names:

'Progs, Padfoot, Wormtail and Moony'

fade in this order.
Perhaps it shows us the order of their deaths? After all, it has been right so far. Prongs went first, followed by Padfoot, Wormtail doesn't look like he will last long, and Moony is the last to fade, and takes a split second longer then Moony.
Thoughts?

Old December 18th, 2004, 5:18 pm
Third Year

a yesyesyes
thats a great idea and very reasonable
well done

Old December 19th, 2004, 5:04 am
Third Year

I am from Australia, and we wee one of the only countries to get the special features DVD in the local paper, also there was an interview with JK in the second DVD in the set. In this Jk says that fans will find hints in the movies and that she would never allow the directors to leave out important plot lines that will be relevant in future books.

Old December 19th, 2004, 5:18 pm
Third Year

in uk we get special features aswell by the way

Old December 19th, 2004, 8:33 pm
First Year

The trapdoor in the DADA Classroom

I have a post in "History of Magic" about this subject, but I thought that it was also valid here. My question is what is the significance (if any) of the trap door found in the DADA classroom on the PoA set? When looking at the virtual tour of the classroom on HarryPotter.com you can clearly see the trap door on the floor at the front of the classroom within the circle of painted runes.

We know that JK Rowling left some clues for the following two books in the PoA movie that are not in the PoA book. It stikes me strange to have a door in the floor for no reason at all, particularly as it JK herself gave suggestions to the set design so as to fit in with the future story.

As I only saw PoA once, I don't remember ever seeing the trapdoor in the movie, and it is definitely not mentioned in the book. However I do think it in the realm of posibility that this door has been placed there for a reason (JK does like to hide her clues).

To further add to the mystery behind this door I found a quote from JK Rowling herself. This was taken directly from Mugglenet's "Facts about books 6 & 7".

"During an interview, when JKR was asked in which Hogwarts room she'd like to be for 1 hour, she said it would be a room in which Harry has been before, but doesn't know its importance. Yet. (this could have happened in book 5, but we're unsure)"

Could this be the DADA classroom? At first I thought that this was referring to the room of requirement, but doesn't Harry already know of its importance? We haven't heard about any trapdoor in the books, but it being there in the movie set could definitely point to its importance in the future books.

Old December 19th, 2004, 10:47 pm
First Year

Has anyone mentioned when Snape was in the corridor with Harry and Lupin (POA movie), after they left the ghost in the painting said "What are you DEAF? Turn off that light." HELLO, if this doesnt tell you. ALso when Harry and Hermione are sitting near the whomping willow waiting for the others to come out. They never see Snape go into the Willow, but a bunch of bats go by. HELLO. If Snape is not a vampire then he is a bat animagus or something. All the references in the movie, shutting the windows, etc. and in the books, there is too many to count, come on. JKR didnt answer the question when someone asked if he was a vampire. She said I dont think so. that is open ended with a let me check oh yeah he is. lol.

Also Ron will betray Harry and Hermione in some way. In the POA movie, Hermione goes to comfort Harry while Ron tries to grab her hand, but she goes to him after he found out about Sirius. Then he yells He was there friend as he is looking at RON. HINT HINT

Old December 19th, 2004, 11:04 pm
First Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by soccer
Has anyone mentioned when Snape was in the corridor with Harry and Lupin (POA movie), after they left the ghost in the painting said "What are you DEAF? Turn off that light." HELLO, if this doesnt tell you. ALso when Harry and Hermione are sitting near the whomping willow waiting for the others to come out. They never see Snape go into the Willow, but a bunch of bats go by. HELLO. If Snape is not a vampire then he is a bat animagus or something. All the references in the movie, shutting the windows, etc. and in the books, there is too many to count, come on. JKR didnt answer the question when someone asked if he was a vampire. She said I dont think so. that is open ended with a let me check oh yeah he is. lol.
I like this alot I have always thought that Snape was a vampire, I also think that the way he has looked in the movies is a clue also I never rember him without a collar (sp? sorry) around his neack, he also always looks like he is gliding in the movies I know it is the robes but still it is always the little things with joe

Old December 22nd, 2004, 1:45 am
Fifth Year

Did anyone mention the first scene in the Leaky Cauldron? A patron was reading "A Brief History of Time: From Big Bang to Black Holes"? Written by Stephen Hawking.

Quote:
Stephen Hawking, one of the most brilliant theoretical physicists in history, wrote the modern classic A Brief History of Time to help nonscientists understand the questions being asked by scientists today: Where did the universe come from? How and why did it begin? Will it come to an end, and if so, how? Hawking attempts to reveal these questions (and where we're looking for answers) using a minimum of technical jargon. Among the topics gracefully covered are gravity, black holes, the Big Bang, the nature of time, and physicists' search for a grand unifying theory. This is deep science; these concepts are so vast (or so tiny) as to cause vertigo while reading, and one can't help but marvel at Hawking's ability to synthesize this difficult subject for people not used to thinking about things like alternate dimensions. The journey is certainly worth taking, for, as Hawking says, the reward of understanding the universe may be a glimpse of "the mind of God." --Therese Littleton

Last edited by hollygo72; December 22nd, 2004 at 1:50 am.
Old December 22nd, 2004, 1:50 am
Third Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by eRiN_GRyFFiN
Hermione

"You're dying....both of you" (Dementor's by the lake)

That is a bit creepy if you think about it.... I mean, we already know Sirius is dead, so does that hint that Harry will die too? God, I hope not!!

"We'll be there, Harry"
Old December 22nd, 2004, 3:41 pm
Sixth Year

Quote:
That is a bit creepy if you think about it.... I mean, we already know Sirius is dead, so does that hint that Harry will die too? God, I hope not!!
No, I don't think so. Hermione was only talking about while the dementors were sucking out Harry and Sirius's souls. I do not think it is foreshadowing, its still possible Harry would die, but I do not think this is meant to be a clue as hermione was talking about a specific moment.

Quote:
I like this alot I have always thought that Snape was a vampire, I also think that the way he has looked in the movies is a clue also I never rember him without a collar (sp? sorry) around his neack, he also always looks like he is gliding in the movies I know it is the robes but still it is always the little things with joe
I thought on her website, or on an interview
someone asked: Is there any significance with Snape and Vampires?? (or it may have been bats not vampires)
and JKR replied: Erm, I don't think so.
I personally do not think he is a vampire but I may very well be wrong.
Quote:
Also Ron will betray Harry and Hermione in some way. In the POA movie, Hermione goes to comfort Harry while Ron tries to grab her hand, but she goes to him after he found out about Sirius. Then he yells He was there friend as he is looking at RON. HINT HINT
Hermione was in that direction as well, and I doubt either of them will turn traitor. JKR already did that with Pettigrew, its old, its been done and I think she has moved on to a different subplot.
Quote:
I was watching once again the PoA DVD yesterday, and found something that was rather interesting. In the last scene with Lupin, when he is packing away his belongings, and says to Harry "Since I am no longer your teacher, I don't feel guilty about giving you this" (not an accurate quote), and then says 'Mischief managed' and we get a close-up of the Maurauders Map fading. If you play back, or freeze the frame as it fades, we notice that the names:

'Progs, Padfoot, Wormtail and Moony'

fade in this order.
Perhaps it shows us the order of their deaths? After all, it has been right so far. Prongs went first, followed by Padfoot, Wormtail doesn't look like he will last long, and Moony is the last to fade, and takes a split second longer then Moony.
Thoughts?
I agree, I doubt Lupin would die during the course of the books, which is why it would make sense to have the marauders in this order. Also usually the marauders names are written in a specific order.
Quote:
I think the Ron and Hermione romamce was a huge clue. Obviously Ron and Hermione are going to be together in the last 2 books.

I'm also very surprised that nobody thought the scene when Snape jumped in front of Harry, Hermione, and Ron and protected them from the Werewolf!Lupin was a clue to what's going to happen in the last 2 books. I think that's probably the hugest clue in the whole movie! (Well, besides the Ron and Hermione romance :P).
]
I agree
and the Snape thing has been one of my theories that I have only been telling to my friends, but I agree. I am not sure that he will die, but I think he will atleast slightly redeem himself in the trio's eyes by protecting them...but remember JKR said that we shouldn't feel too bad for Snape...
Quote:
What we have to keep in mind is that the filmmakers know NOTHING more about what is to come in the next books than we do. Any hints, be they good ones or misleading ones, are placed there entirely unknowingly.

Did Jo ever mention anything about hints in the first two films? I don't recall....
Well for one thing JKR has script approval (note I am not trying to turn this into a ship debate but this piece is relevant to this topic) JKR said that Chris foreshadowed certain feelings between them [trio] at the end of the film. Later Chris talked about how the R/Hr thing at the end was foreshadowing romance, and David Heyman said something similar as well (though that may have been for the 3rd movie)
I think the filmmakers do know more about it then we do, for one thing, JKR has script approval so it cannot be filmed until she OK's it. And she says she talks a lot with Steve Kloves, the scriptwriter. Now I know he is not the director, but surely 1) JKR talked with the director atleast once during production 2)Steve Kloves talked with the director often

Old December 22nd, 2004, 5:21 pm
Sixth Year

Okay, did anyone notice what Harry said in the third movie in Lupin's office. He said that his happy thought was more of a memory or something. But it was him talking to his parents. Um...How could he talk with his parents if they are dead. I think that there is something more than meets the eye in what Harry said. How could he talk with his parents as a little child before they die. He can't so what is JK hinting at?

Omi-I see that Jack Spicer has not shown up to a battle that he is most likely to lose!
JS-Wrong again! I show up to all the Battles I'm most likely to lose!
Wuya-Do you even think before you speak!?!
Xiaolin Showdown
Old December 22nd, 2004, 5:26 pm
Second Year

I think that the movies do have foreshadowing of the future books but not at the expense of the books. The books are the important thing to JKR. She would not give information to be put into the movies that had not already have been shown in the books. The foreshadowing can be from what is not left out of the movie. If you look at any of the movies, a great deal of what happens at the Dursley's could be left out for the sake of length and story but scenes like the zoo in movie one are necessary later in COS. Some clear lines may be seen sooner such as the possible romance between R/HR but that to was already foreshadowed in a book that had been released (sorry H/HR shippers). The other big changes in the movies a believe are more related to screen writer and director. The main clues in the movies in my opinion relate to what may or may not be in or important to future books by what is seen. eg. peeves not in the movies so he probably does not play an important decisive role in the climax of the books

Old December 22nd, 2004, 7:22 pm
Third Year

I thought it was interesting that there was no singing of the school song in the SS/PS, after which Dumbledore makes a comment about the magical powers in music. Then, for no reason, there was singing at the beginning of the POA movie. In SS/PS, it foreshadowed the means by which Fluffy could be subdued, but did nothing in/for the PoA movie. I personally think that it foreshadows the use of music later in the books, mostly because music is frequently associated with feelings, some of which appear to impare Voldemort. Otherwise, I seen no reason for the singing in PoA.

Last edited by C8H10N4O2; December 22nd, 2004 at 7:25 pm.
Old December 23rd, 2004, 1:01 am
Second Year

I believe almost anything that seems insignificant in the movies but is placed in the movies instead of certian seemingly consequential scenes will play an important role in the future.

Somewhat like when Jo told the directors that they couldn't have a graveyard scene because it is in the future of the series.

Old December 23rd, 2004, 7:55 am
First Year

Two things strike me about POA - the number of times Curon uses Harry's reflection in something, especially on the train and when he's flying. On the train it seems especially odd to me that Dan's face morphs into cgi. I think this could be a major clue. It ties into the Mirror of Erised concept. JKR did say that when they filmed SS Columbus wanted to shorten the Mirror scene but she insisted it was very important not to delete it. I think eventually the resolution of Harry's plot arc will be tied somehow to a mirror in some sort of way. (As I'm writing this I just remembered the broken sheards from OP. Duh)

The other thing that strikes me as odd is why they bothered to put in the line "that was my foot" - It really was not necessary to further the plot as portrayed in the movie. That line was in the book but I think it was Neville that stepped on someone's foot, not Ron. Also in SS Hermione says "Ouch, that was my foot" - For some reason this make me think of Dumbledore saying to Harry in OP that he has been watching Harry closer than he can imagine (not a direct quote) So I'm thinking that some other invisible person is there in those scenes. Any thoughts?

Old December 23rd, 2004, 10:19 am
First Year

Here are a few significant things I saw in the movie -

1. Harry seeing something in the crystal ball when he went to take it back to the Divination classroom.
- I think Harry may be much better at Divination than he thinks, could you imagine his response if he got an 'O' on his OWL for Divination? Telling the examiner she should have dropped dead the previous Tuesday, that the examiner was going to meet a round soggy stranger and that he couldn't see anything at all in the crystal ball - I think he'd freak out (co-incidently I think that admitting he couldn't see anything in the crystal ball displays a very important attribute of a seer - the ability to tell the truth ie not making stuff up)

2. Harry being told by Lupin that he could give his father a run for his money - and that it was really saying something
- I think this could be very important, his father was not able to stop Lord Voldemort even when incredibly motivated to do so, that Harry is showing that kind of talent at that age is significiant (I think)

3. Sirius telling Harry that he really was like his parents - and in time he would realise how much
- I think Harry realising his similarities (and differences) to his parents could be a major theme in the final books

Old December 24th, 2004, 3:13 am
Second Year

How about when Lupin is about to change into a werewolf and Sirius tells him to fight it. Maybe Lupin actually will learn to control his transformations. Or maybe he will be able to keep his mind clear as a werewolf and save Harry in some way.

Oh and by the way, I don't know if Snape is a vampire or not, but in the book Dracula by Bram Stoker, Dracula could walk around in the daylight. It's only in more modern Hollywood versions that they can't be in the sun.

Last edited by negaprion; December 24th, 2004 at 3:17 am.
Old December 25th, 2004, 6:37 pm
Second Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by VegemiteRules75

"During an interview, when JKR was asked in which Hogwarts room she'd like to be for 1 hour, she said it would be a room in which Harry has been before, but doesn't know its importance. Yet. (this could have happened in book 5, but we're unsure)"

Could this be the DADA classroom? At first I thought that this was referring to the room of requirement, but doesn't Harry already know of its importance? We haven't heard about any trapdoor in the books, but it being there in the movie set could definitely point to its importance in the future books.
I rarely guess, but this time I will dare say: if it must be a room (not the Great Hall, for example), one that becomes important, one in which Harry has been, and one in which Rowling would want to be...

Wich room at Hogwarts I'd love to be in?

The PREFECTS' BATHROOM!

Now, really, the Great Hall is not technically a room, and though interesting, it's not the place you'd choose to be if you could get at Hogwarts. The library would be most interesting, but it's not exactly a room, and it would be certainly useless if you can't learn magic. But, as for me, I'd love to be in a bathroom made of marble, with a marble pool with hot water for my own, all those many taps with different effects, and as much clean soft towels as I want. If I could spend ONLY an hour, I'd try to have a nice hot bath at the prefects' bathroom.

The other possibilities may be the Slytherin Common Room and Dumbledore's Office. But I don't think you'd have much fun in Dumbledore's office for an hour. I bet the Slytherin Common room is more interesting, though I suppose not very pretty. Though the Slyth's nest is my second choice, I go all for the prefects' bathroom.

Any other ideas?

Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > Forum Archives > Harry Potter Archives > Divination Studies