Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > Forum Archives > Harry Potter Archives > The Common Room

Do you think there will be (or is) a series as good as Harry Potter?

Old August 16th, 2007, 1:44 am
Third Year

Re: Do you think there will be (or is) a series as good as Harry Potter?

I Love David Eddings, The Belgarid (5 books) with is followed by The Malloreon(5 books), follow the story of Garion and is an amazing story. Also there is The Eleneium (3 books), and The Tamuli (3 books), these to follow the story of Sparhawk the knight. Both are full of magic, epic battles and adventure. They are well worth the read.

Sponsored Links
Old August 16th, 2007, 2:06 am
Second Year

NOTHING will ever match HP.....NEVER-EVER!

Old August 16th, 2007, 2:08 am
First Year

I'm gonna keep my answer short. No, There will never be a series greater than Harry Potter.

Old August 16th, 2007, 10:10 pm
First Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullets67 View Post
I'm gonna keep my answer short. No, There will never be a series greater than Harry Potter.
Good answer. haha

And then she was kissing him as she had never kissed him before, and Harry was kissing her back, and it was blissful oblivion, better than fire whiskey; she was the only real thing in the world, Ginny, the feel of her, one hand at her back and one in her long, sweet smelling hair -- Harry
Old August 18th, 2007, 10:35 pm
Second Year

It depends what you're into but to me there will never be anything quite as good as Harry Potter

Old August 18th, 2007, 10:51 pm
First Year

yes, there would be, but I think that Harry Potter is the best now!

Old August 25th, 2007, 3:42 pm
First Year

There are some that, if you liked Harry Potter, you'll probably like. Such as "Pendragon," by D. J. Machale. Or any of the series by Garth Nix (like "the keys to the kingdom," or "the seventh tower", but if you feel up to it, read the "Abbhorsen" trilogy)

Harry is surrounded by Death Eaters. When all hope seems lost, he holds up a blast-ended-screwt and says, "Say hello to my little friend!"

"Have you ever had a day where it feels like a dark, soul-eating cloud is hovering above you?"
Old August 25th, 2007, 6:43 pm
Third Year

I really loved the Lord of the Rings series, and The Hobbit was also a good book. I love any kind of book with adventure and battles and magic, but I also like The Hardy Boys, and Nancy Drew. I like a good mystery.
But I think that Harry Potter tops them all.

Old August 25th, 2007, 8:25 pm
First Year

I think there might be something later on that will be close. But you never know, I mean this whole Harry Potter thing came almost out of nowhere so anything is possible.

Join the ASA today and help prevent spoilers!
Old August 25th, 2007, 11:51 pm
First Year

Well there are always gonna be hypes about something, and that's not limited to books, but ...
With Harry Potter it's really justified

But in the end it's just about your personal taste anyway, though I have to say, no other book has ever got me as much as Harry Potter. Some came close, but Harry Potter is really unique in that respect I think.

All the sorting quizzes I do end up in something else
Old August 26th, 2007, 2:11 pm
First Year

The Harry Potter series is my favourite series of books, but no individual book in the series is one of my favourite books. There are plenty of people out there who think Harry Potter is the greatest thing ever written, and there are also many others who dislike Harry Potter or prefer other series.

I think the question here is whether there will be another series of books that will have such a profound cultural impact on a generation. Will there be another series of books that will spawn movies, trading cards, video games, toys, and a theme park? More importantly, will there be another series that will encourage thousands of kids to read? There might be, but I don't think that there will be one in the near future.

Old August 26th, 2007, 11:50 pm
First Year

I think the popularity of Harry Potter will be hard to beat. I'm not sure a series of novels will ever create the craze HP has in kids and adults alike.

However there are several series I feel are 'better', in the sense they are better written, with more complexity and depth (at least for me as an older reader). Any thing by Guy Gavriel Kay is better to me, and the Coldfire trilogy is excellent.

Old August 27th, 2007, 1:24 am
First Year

Some of these responses make me wonder how much literature some people have read. I have really enjoyed the Harry Potter series; I think Rowling is consummately effective in weaving a good story that constantly engages. The series is also astoundingly popular, which no doubt contributes to the perception of its greatness.

That being said, I must submit that the Harry Potter series, as a work of literature, is far from great. As a story it excels; as literature it is good at best, or possibly mediocre.

This is not a criticism of the series, as I think the "averageness" of the literature makes it popular. In its own way I guess it's great - Rowling has struck that balance that tells the story and draws in a vast audience - but I cannot agree that it can hope to rival a series such as Lord of the Rings. One need not mention the literary giants - Nabokov, Dostoevsky, Dickens, Shakespeare, Tolstoy, Kafka, Sartre, Beauvoir, Cervantes, to name a few (in no particular selection or order) - who have all produced far greater works of literature.

I definitely loved the Harry Potter world, the story that Rowling has created, and the way she has invested her readers emotionally. I think HP will be difficult to rival in the popularity and worldwide phenomenon departments. But treated from a strictly literary view, I do not find HP very remarkable at all.

That is to say, yes there will be greater series, and indeed there already exist many.

General Robert E. Lee at the Battle of Fredericksburg, 13 December 1862

Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > Forum Archives > Harry Potter Archives > The Common Room