Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > Forum Archives > Harry Potter Archives > The Common Room

Snape's Point of View 2: Post-HBP PTSS version.

Old April 15th, 2006, 12:10 am
Third Year

Re: Snape's Point of View 2: Post-HBP PTSS version.

How did Inkwolf know about my bunny slippers? *note to self - start practicing Occlumency at night*

Alan wants you to come by the ARAS
Sponsored Links
Old April 15th, 2006, 4:15 am
Second Year

Sineed, slythy (so good to see you!!), TBA, HS, Thank you, thank you, thank you for such wonderful, wonderful stories!!! I would quote lines, but my faves have been quoted above me already!

Y'all should really try the CoS writing contest (if you've not done so).

ps..Inkwolf...

Old April 15th, 2006, 5:20 am
Third Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoonysAngel
Y'all should really try the CoS writing contest (if you've not done so).
I was tempted ... but at the moment I'm a bit snowed under with some other comitments. I'll be keeping an eye on the results though - they sound like they might be good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billywiggy
How did Inkwolf know about my bunny slippers? *note to self - start practicing Occlumency at night*
Night Occulemency lessons? Interesting concept ... though I'm not sure if I'd come up with the kind of story I could post here, though

Must come up with something to put here, soon.

(& happy birthday, Inky!)

Last edited by thestralgrin; April 15th, 2006 at 5:22 am.
Old April 15th, 2006, 6:51 am
Assistant to Professor Snape

I never get over to this thread often enough, but I always enjoy myself when I do.

The Black Adder: Your stories are awesome! The Dancing Lesson idea is something that I thought about when I was watching the DVD (for the fifth time). So I just loved that!!!

Sineed: Your interview was truly hilarious! I like the way Snape's mind wanders to Narcissa now and then . . .

And Happy Birthday, Inkwolf!

"It may have escaped your notice, but life isn't fair."
~ Severus Snape, OotP movie

Severus Snape ~ Bloomsbury Books Favorite HP Character

Severmore ~ NEW Harry Potter Network ~ LJ Dungeon
Old April 15th, 2006, 12:32 pm
Fourth Year

The Black Adder - Oh Kreachers around, can't give too much away can I now! And thank you for your kind comments on my fic. I loved writing that one for some reason. Don't worry about the mirror either, this is Magic after all.

Moony's Angel - Hey don't worry I love re-quotes!

Billywiggy - Fluffy pink bunny slippers? Thats not enough, I have Yeti boots! I know can you imagine Snape in Yeti boots? (Black of course!) As for night time Occlumency training? Who with I wonder?

"A dishonest man you can always trust to be dishonest. It's the honest ones you have to look out for!"

I trust Severus Snape!
Old April 15th, 2006, 2:08 pm
I trusted Severus Snape

Thanks, guys!

Old April 17th, 2006, 2:20 pm
Fourth Year

MoonysAngel, SIP--Thanks! Glad you see you both here again! Come back soon!

Re: The CoS writing contest-- I actually just became aware of that. Something to keep in mind...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hermione Snape
The Black Adder - Oh Kreachers around, can't give too much away can I now!... Don't worry about the mirror either, this is Magic after all.
Oh, okay. And gotcha, about the mirror. Should be interesting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hermione Snape
Billywiggy - Fluffy pink bunny slippers? Thats not enough, I have Yeti boots! I know can you imagine Snape in Yeti boots? (Black of course!)
Yeti boots! Don't you know Yeti are a protected species in Nepal? Unless you mean boots...for...a Yeti... Might be kinda big on Sev's feet ...

Inkwolf--Sorry, I missed your birthday... Hope it was a great day!

Some glad morning when this life is o'er
I'll fly away, Fly away, In the morning--
To my home on God's celestial shore,
I'll fly away, I'll fly away, I'll fly away...
Old April 18th, 2006, 2:40 pm
First Year

Just a quick note to say loved dance-lesson Snape, TBA.

Old April 19th, 2006, 5:17 pm
Second Year

Great Hermione Snape as always!!

Quote:
“All right Dora and I are going to be parents!”
Great twist!! You are evil, you are!!

Quote:
"Bye dad," he said.

"Stop calling me that!"

"All right then Uncle Severus!"
Loved that!!

Looking forward to the next one!! I am currently trying to work up the courage to post a pov myself. Dunno if I will ever manage to though.

Vote Severus Snape for Minister of Magic!
Old April 19th, 2006, 9:13 pm
First Year

Great one! They keep on getting better and better. Uncle Severus. lol, very funny. Looking forward to more of 'Uncle Sevvie'

Old April 20th, 2006, 3:33 pm
Fourth Year

Hermione Snape--My, my, the plot just keeps getting thicker and thicker! Have to say it was tough to read the domestic violence part with Hermione and Greyback… I did like the introduction of Crookshanks and Lucius Malfoy.

I may have missed or forgotten something. I don’t get why Kreacher is with the bad guys, when he should still belong to Harry… And, myself, I think he would still see Hermione as a mudblood and not obey her...

Quote:
And if he wanted to die then he'd have a comfortable death.
Liked this line.

Quote:
"But I wish I could convey my condolences to Arthur how terrible it must be to lose a child, I can only contemplate the grief."
This was very Lucius, I thought.

Okay, back to the angst.

I’m going to repeat my disclaimer at this point. I began writing this piece not long after I read HBP. Since then I have encountered many additional intriguing theories about what might really be going on at the end of HBP. I’m still not sure which is the most likely, or even my favorite. Rather than re-write the original premise I used for this POV, I decided to leave it as it was. My true interest in writing this piece has become not so much to advocate a particular theory, but to explore the dynamics between these particular characters.

It isn’t a true trial, of course, yet I see Lupin as the prosecuting attorney, McGonagall as a kind of a judge, and Harry… well, you’ll see what his role turns out to be…

The Trial of Severus Snape
Chapter 5

Lupin withdrew. Snape's admission that he wanted to break the Vow and accept the consequences came as a surprise. Snape looked away, his face contorted in pain. "I was going to... I'm tired of it, you know. All the lies…pretending… Watching every word… You know how it is, Lupin--" He seemed to be pleading for understanding from the other who also worked undercover, in the werewolf community.

"Funny, I got the impression that you enjoyed the excitement of playing the spy, far more than I do," Lupin replied unsympathetically.

"It had its moments," Snape admitted candidly. "But things had gotten dodgy." He was looking off again, breathing more deeply. "Nobody can be that clever for that long… So I wasn't really sorry, at first, when I realized what I had done. I… began to see it as a way out. But then…he saw there could be some advantage to it. He wanted me to go through with it…"

"I think we already know what You Know Who wanted…" McGonagall began.

"No… Not him! Dumbledore! He ordered me to do it."

"Dumbledore?" McGonagall repeated doubtfully.

"Liar!" Harry exploded from across the room. He'd been holding it in for as long as he could.

The outburst startled everyone, who seemed to have forgotten about the young man while concentrating on Snape’s story. With surprising calm, Snape turned his black eyes upon the boy once more. "Oh, that's really amusing coming from you, Potter. You can't open your mouth without saying something disingenuous."

Harry stood defiantly before his former teacher. "He didn’t want you to kill him. He pleaded with you for help!”

Snape gazed at Harry with a weary amusement. "As usual, Potter, you've analyzed all the facts and drawn the wrong conclusion. He wasn’t pleading for my help. Albus Dumbledore would never plead for himself. How little you understood him."

Harry’s eyes flickered with momentary doubt.

“And you did?” Lupin asked sarcastically. “Why-ever should we believe that Albus Dumbledore, the only one Voldemort feared, saw advantage in his own death?”

"He said I was more…"

His voice broke off. His eyes flicked back and forth. Was Snape about to say more valuable? Harry wondered. Something Dumbledore had recently said to him…?

Snape drew a breath and re-collected his thoughts, however. “He said If I stayed alive, that I perhaps I could save Draco, re-gain the Dark Lord’s trust, and be in a better position for…what was to come.”

"Assuming for one wild moment we believed you," Lupin continued skeptically, "Did it never occur to you to disobey him?"

"Of course, it did!" Snape said fiercely. "But I didn't see the point."

"You didn't see the point?" Lupin asked sarcastically.

“Dumbledore made too much sense. Do you think I wanted to be the cause of his death? Do you think I wanted to leave Hogwarts? Do you think I like being a hunted fugitive, living with those psychopaths?”

“I think you liked staying alive,” Lupin countered.

Snape flushed then and looked away.

"How is Draco?" McGonagall inquired gently, reserving judgment for the moment.

"Alive," Snape said curling his lip. "My…success has deflected the Dark Lord's anger from his family, for the time being. But he’ll neither forget nor forgive. They are still very much at risk."

"Draco wasn't going to kill Dumbledore," Harry began quietly. "He'd lowered his wand. Professor Dumbledore told him he could protect him and his family."

They all looked at Harry. Snape grew pensive.

"Yes… We knew as the Dark Lord did that Draco would never go through with it," Snape stated. “But we couldn't say anything too soon for fear our conversation would be seen in his mind. We had to wait until Draco actually made his move, tried and failed, realizing for himself he was no killer. We planned to put him and his mother into hiding. Lucius is safe in Azkaban for the time being.”

Snape paused to swallow. “Dumbledore said if it came to that, if there were no other way…” He seemed to be having trouble breathing and speaking at the same time now. "I was supposed to make it look like Dumbledore killed Draco and then I…killed Dumbledore…” Snape shuddered at the memory. “But it all went horribly wrong. Death Eaters were in the castle. They had gotten to the Tower before me. I had to get them off of there before they discovered Potter under his Invisibility Cloak, or he did something really stupid. I couldn't put Draco into hiding as we'd planned."

Harry's stomach churned again. Snape knew he was there on the Tower? So why didn’t he… Harry's heart pounded inside of him. His mind was spinning, comparing every word Snape said to what Dumbledore had said, to what he had overheard, to what he had witnessed that awful night. Searching for what didn’t add up. Lies. Snape just had to be lying. Yes-- There it was!

“That’s not why you left me,” Harry accused. “You said it yourself down by the gate. Your true master, Voldemort, gave orders not to touch me, to leave me for him!”

Snape glanced over unconcerned. “Sometimes the Dark Lord’s orders can be useful.”

“How convenient for you,” Lupin sneered.

“And who do you think encouraged him to want Potter for himself, so that the others would not go on glory-hunting expeditions? And who do you think suggested that it could be dangerous letting Potter see into his mind?” he added pointedly to the young man with the lightning-shaped scar.

Harry remembered Dumbledore’s satisfaction upon hearing that he had stopped having the dreams...

Lupin only squinted shrewdly at the rhetorical questions.

McGonagall's voice was icy cold as she finally spoke, "Severus, did you know there would be Death Eaters entering Hogwarts that night?"

The haughtiness left his face again as Snape turned to her. "No," he shook his head adamantly. "Nor was I aware that was the night Draco would make his move. I couldn't get him to confide in me!"

"Why didn't you just use…" Lupin began.

"Because Bellatrix had taught her favorite nephew Occlumency," he jumped in. "That's why." He glanced towards Harry. "Some students seem to have more aptitude for it than others," he jeered.

Snape then looked back into the stern face of McGonagall. "I would never have allowed Death Eaters to enter the castle, had I known."

McGonagall considered the reply, eyeing him like the stone gargoyle guarding the way to the headmaster’s office.

"That's quite the story, Severus," Lupin commented. "Even for you. You'll forgive me if I still have my doubts."

"It's the truth!" Snape said fiercely into Lupin's cynical face. He sat forward in the chair, pressing against his bonds. "You know it yourself, Lupin. If I had betrayed Dumbledore, why didn't I betray you to Grayback?"

Lupin narrowed his eyes. "I have wondered about that. But then…don’t ask me to fathom the way a Death Eater’s mind works," Lupin threw back darkly, reminding Snape again of his refusal to listen to evidence of Sirius’ innocence three years ago. Snape sat back in the chair, glowering without reply.

"I would like to believe you, Severus,” McGonagall spoke quietly. “But the Killing Curse-- One must mean for it to work, after all."

Harry brightened. She had him! He remembered the look of hatred on Snape's face that night…

Old April 20th, 2006, 4:47 pm

Hermione Snape: Another page turner!
Quote:
"He was a blood traitor. I neither miss him, nor care to bring up my old ties to him which are now loathsome to me."
Hermione deserves the Academy award for this line. She has grown up to be a formidable woman.

Black Adder Your latest installlment is gripping. The answers Severus gives for his actions are so plausible. I always thought he knew Harry was under the invisibility cloak if only from the brief glance he exchanged with Dumbledore, and that hastened Severus's desire to get the DEs out of the way, and you presented that really well. The theory of Draco's and Dumbledore's faked deaths is heartbreaking in that, as you describe, it was thwarted by the arrival of the DEs. Really well done. Thanks for sharing.There's a lot to think about.

Old April 20th, 2006, 5:27 pm
Second Year

Brilliant The Black Adder

I just love the sneering Lupin. He is giving Snape a run for his money. But he could never beat him. Snape is still sneering and he is tied up.

Quote:
"Because Bellatrix had taught her favorite nephew Occlumency," he jumped in. "That's why." He glanced towards Harry. "Some students seem to have more aptitude for it than others," he jeered.
It is why I love your writings. Snape is so in canon.

Old April 20th, 2006, 5:33 pm
Fourth Year

Wadiwasiwitch - Thank you for liking those particular lines.

Turtletape - You will have your pink haired fluffy werewolf cubs.

The Black Adder - Harry hasn't called Kreacher and Kreacher doesn't want to be with Harry. Kreacher went to Fenley Gray Manor to be with the Mistress he wants (Bellatrix), much like Dobby helped Harry rather than Lucius in CoS. Also Kreacher is obeying Hermione because he thinks that she has turned. Yes the introduction of Lucius in that chapter was rather great . The domestic violence was actually difficult to write you know but it has been hinted at in the past episodes and now you got to see it . I tried to do it in a way that kids could read it. And how can you leave us on that cliffie h'mm? We Want More! We Want More!

Olwen - Yes that was rather an academy award winning performance but she was taught Occlumency so she has managed to compartmentalize to some degree.

I have an announcement to make but not sure how you all are going to take it.

Next week will be the last one! I am sorry after next week there'll be no more Dear Lily! It is already the length of PS/SS and I feel that the next episode is all what it has been leading up to. The week after there will be an epilogue but that will be short. It is being posted regularly in Flourish and Blotts and therefore you can read it there, but after Dear Lily I will have to think of something else. And that could take a while!

"A dishonest man you can always trust to be dishonest. It's the honest ones you have to look out for!"

I trust Severus Snape!
Old April 20th, 2006, 9:14 pm
Second Year

Okay here it goes. I am probably going to regret posting this but I figured better do now or I never would. Thanks Zgirnius for the push. Please bear in mind that this is my first POV.

This is a very angsty Snape POV and occurs some time after HBP. I own no characters. They all belong to the genius that is JK Rowling.

In Pursuit of Redemption

Who am I and what the hell am I doing here? These questions reverberate around my brain tormenting me. I wish I could forget. Then there would be no bitter memories, no shame and above no long, long, road to redemption. But tread this path I must.

I drag my weary limbs from my bed and wander into the living quarters of my temporary home. I use my wand to restore light to the dreary room. It is the middle of the night and I find myself unable to sleep once again. Yesterday’s edition of the Daily Prophet is lying on the desk and I pick it up only to find myself looking at my picture. I scan the headline. It says “Snape eludes capture”. My lip curls and I toss it aside. How ironic. I finally get the recognition I once craved. A snort escapes me. The whole wizarding world has already judged me. The Severus Snape that most people know is the veneer I have constructed against the world. It is the mask of a ruthless Potions Master with an acid tongue, a man who is bitter and sadistic as well as a loyal Death Eater. None of these are the real Severus. I never show my true self to anyone although some have gotten close. I swell momentarily with satisfaction and pride. Lesser men would have let their mask slip before now. The bubble bursts as quickly as it came and the desperation leaks in once again. I am truly alone. Nobody knows the effort it took to take the life of my mentor and friend. Dumbledore made me promise to do it if all else failed. And it did but I feel guilt all the same. No one knows the remorse that I felt when I realised that I had practically signed the death warrant of the only woman I had ever loved. I delivered the prophecy that was the cause of her death and that of her husband. I wake every morning with that knowledge and she haunts me in my dreams.

I sigh and pour myself a glass of Ogden’s Fire whiskey. I do not indulge very often but tonight I need it. I attempt to compose myself as the alcohol burns my throat. I am angry at myself now for allowing my mind to drift to my demons. At least the rat has retired for the night. I look down at the ugly mark on my forearm and shiver. The Dark Lord is most probably having some beauty sleep so I should not be disturbed from my melancholy. To wallow in one’s bitterest memories is, in my opinion, the ultimate foolishness and a luxury I can ill afford. However as always it is in the quiet darkness of the night that my most painful memories return to haunt me. This is the reason why I was often to be found wandering the school corridors at night and ever more so since the appearance of that infernal Potter boy. Harry Potter. That boy is a walking incarnation of his father but with his mother’s eyes. He is a reminder of my biggest mistake and my most heartfelt regret. Damn it. I cannot think about Lily. I put my head in my hands. I realise that I am shaking as the grief and guilt consumes me. Oh Merlin she was so beautiful with her vibrant red hair and her striking green eyes. She will never grow old and will be forever that young woman who gave her life for her son. Almost sixteen years but it still seems like yesterday. I am but a shadow of a man since that fateful night at Godric’s Hollow and I exist only to redeem myself. My efforts at saving them proved ill-fated. My confession to Dumbledore and switch to spy for the Order could only do so much. The prophecy had ensured that they would not survive.

Now Dumbledore is gone too and at my hand. He has been not only a friend but also a father figure. He gave me a chance at redemption and trusted me where few others would. I would be dead now if it were not for him. He trusted me with his life and even to kill him if I had too. How could he? How could I? I hate myself for doing it. My stomach lurches as I remember pointing my wand and the flash of green light that sent the life from his body. Guilt is eating away at me. It was my stupidity at agreeing to that Unbreakable Vow and I should have known that Dumbledore would never let me sacrifice myself. We had so many arguments over it but in the end I relented. I never thought that it would come to this though.

I made a promise to myself that night when I first sought his help. I would not rest until the day that the Dark Lord is no more and if I died in the attempt then so be it. It was the first day on my journey to atone for my sins and over sixteen years later I am stumbling along that same road. Yes I have had a hard life but I know that I have deserved all the pain and so my pursuit for redemption continues.

Last edited by waddiwasiwitch; April 20th, 2006 at 9:31 pm.
Old April 20th, 2006, 9:33 pm
First Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by hermione snape
Next week will be the last one!
nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo ooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo You lie! lol, now that that's out of my system, there've been some great posts! Keep writing.

Old April 20th, 2006, 9:41 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by waddiwasiwitch
Okay here it goes. I am probably going to regret posting this but I figured better do now or I never would. Thanks Zgirnius for the push. Please bear in mind that this is my first POV.
And I am glad I supplied that little push...that was good!

Quote:
Yesterday’s edition of the Daily Prophet is lying on the desk and I pick it up only to find myself looking at my picture. I scan the headline. It says “Snape eludes capture”. My lip curls and I toss it aside. How ironic. I finally get the recognition I once craved. A snort escapes me.
I really liked this little bit. Very Snapish. And a nice little hint about his past...

Quote:
Oh Merlin she was so beautiful with her vibrant red hair and her striking green eyes. She will never grow old and will be forever that young woman who gave her life for her son.

I haven't posted here in a while, but i'm definitely still reading everyone's POVs...so:

Hermione_Snape, WOW! You're right, Dear Lily has grown to the size of PS/SS! I have been amazed by your inventiveness in coming up with new adventures for Snape and all the other characters week after week. And as you say, it will still all be there for us to go and revisit in F&B.

Olwen, I have enjoyed your POVs, particularly the motion sickness one!

TBA, I love "Trial", and await the next installment! I also enjoyed your depiction of how Snape interacts with his Slytherins in the dance lesson story.

Sineed, your interview with Rita was a classic. SO funny...

True Heir, I really liked the mouse incident. Especially the way you wrote Dumbledore's handling of it.

“Death is the only pure, beautiful conclusion of a great passion.”-D. H. Lawrence

All was well.

Avatar by nerwende, signature art by sigune, used with permission.
Old April 21st, 2006, 12:48 pm
Second Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by zgirnius
And I am glad I supplied that little push...that was good!
Thanks so much for your kind comments and encouragement

Quote:
I really liked this little bit. Very Snapish. And a nice little hint about his past...
Ah shucks. Well I loved writing that bit too. I decided that I wanted JK's Snape to be in there. I just had to have a lip curl and a snort.

Quote:
Quote:
Oh Merlin she was so beautiful with her vibrant red hair and her striking green eyes. She will never grow old and will be forever that young woman who gave her life for her son.

I was happy enough with the way that I got his remorse over Lily across but I think that I did not do enough about Dumbledore.

Hermione Snape no way you cannot end Dear Lily!! Wednesdays will never be the same again. Perhaps you would do a prequel from the Marauder era a Snape-Lily perhaps.

Old April 21st, 2006, 2:33 pm
Fourth Year

Wadiwasiwitch - I was almost in tears over that one, poor Snape! This was my favourite line.

Quote:
I am truly alone. Nobody knows the effort it took to take the life of my mentor and friend. Dumbledore made me promise to do it if all else failed. And it did but I feel guilt all the same.
The bitterness it was very Snape and much how I see Snape in the next book alone and friendless!

Sorry Turtletape I am not lying I honestly after next weeks episode wouldn't know how to carry it on. Sorry. But like I said I will think of something else, I'll try and be less shippy but I am a romantic Goth!

I trust Severus Snape!
Old April 21st, 2006, 3:16 pm
Fourth Year

Thank you everyone for the nice comments on Chapter 5.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waddi
I just love the sneering Lupin. He is giving Snape a run for his money. But he could never beat him. Snape is still sneering and he is tied up.
Yes, Snape is indeed the Sneer Master. Ha! But I do love playing on the reversal of the Shrieking Shack scene from PoA.

And Waddi--Have no regrets. Your first POV was terrific.

Quote:
Yesterday’s edition of the Daily Prophet is lying on the desk and I pick it up only to find myself looking at my picture. I scan the headline. It says “Snape eludes capture”. My lip curls and I toss it aside. How ironic. I finally get the recognition I once craved. A snort escapes me. The whole wizarding world has already judged me. The Severus Snape that most people know is the veneer I have constructed against the world. It is the mask of a ruthless Potions Master with an acid tongue, a man who is bitter and sadistic as well as a loyal Death Eater. None of these are the real Severus. I never show my true self to anyone although some have gotten close. I swell momentarily with satisfaction and pride. Lesser men would have let their mask slip before now. The bubble bursts as quickly as it came and the desperation leaks in once again. I am truly alone.
This section especially I love. The dual feelings of pride and loneliness, both present in sucession, I think is quite realistic.

Hermione Snape--I know I've been a bit of a devil's advocate about your "Dear Lily", but I was quite surprised and a little disappointed to hear that it will actually come to an end before Book 7 comes out! I will look forward to whatever new adventures you come up with for Sev.

Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > Forum Archives > Harry Potter Archives > The Common Room