Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > Forum Archives > Harry Potter Archives > The Common Room

Snape's Point of View 2: Post-HBP PTSS version.

Old August 10th, 2006, 3:54 pm
Fifth Year

Re: Snape's Point of View 2: Post-HBP PTSS version.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LouisaB
Just wondering what has happened to the old thread since the link doesn't work and I can't find it when searching.

I don't think it has been merged with this one since even with the deletion of the posts between the actual scenes it was far longer than this is now.

Has it been simply moved elsewhere or has it been pruned from the board altogether? Is there any chance that it could be somewhere where those in charge can find it and merge it with this one?

I hate the idea of all those great scenes gone forever from the board.
LouisaB, I've been looking for the original thread... looks like it's gone indeed. The only place I recall where at least the major part of it is stored (up to January 2005 I think?), is here:
Snape's POV thread

(Dumbledore in 'Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire')

My Snape fanfics: Reflections (F&B), The Red Light of the Sun (F&B), The Trapdoor Trials 1, 2, 3 (in "Snape's POV 2"),
Greetings from Down Under and An Unusual Patronus ... are hereby shamelessly advertised

Last edited by Serpentine; August 10th, 2006 at 4:01 pm.
Sponsored Links
Old August 10th, 2006, 4:27 pm
Leader of the GLITTELUTION

YES!!! Thank you, Serpentine! I need more Snapefic. @_@
I'm sure LouisaB is happy too. XD

VIVA LA GLITTELUTION
Looking for a home away from home?
Hogsmeade ~ Apparate.me
Old August 11th, 2006, 6:46 am
Fifth Year

Thanks Serpentine. Going to save all those pages with pieces on to my hard drive. Pity about the rest though. Wonder if any of the staff are able to help - wondering whether there might be a hidden "recycling" board where deleted threads might be stored for a while.

Old August 15th, 2006, 12:59 pm
Sixth Year

Hi, everybody, I'm back to my beloved thread. So many great stories since my last visit here! The Black Adder, LouisaB, everybody - !!!
And thank you, Serpentine, for the link - aww, good ol' days.

There is nothing wrong in being ambitious.
Old August 15th, 2006, 4:54 pm
Second Year

Serpentine thanks for the link.

Scantra great stuff yet again.

Some of you will already have read this as I posted it on another forum. This is based at the start of HBP and involves a visit to a certain joke shop! Hope you like it!!

I stood outside “Weasleys’s Wizarding Wheezes”. Colourful posters adorned the windows and were sending a clear message that the Dark Lord and his Death Eaters were not going to interrupt the Weasleys’s fun. I shook my head in disbelief at the audacity of some of the posters. You-Know–Poo indeed. They had obviously never experienced what war was really like but then again I guess we all need some respite from the horrors of war. I had just been in Diagon Alley in order to collect some supplies. To think that I was still making all the potions required for the school year when we had another Potions teacher there. But he was incompetent and I was not having that fool provide any potions for the hospital wing. I was out performing even as a child when he was my instructor in the subject. But now I had the DADA classes to teach and I was sure that even the Weasley twins would have paid attention in that class.

My former students were doing well but it galled me to see such great minds wasted. How much I hate incompetence is well known but intelligence without application is something that bothers me much much more. Now if they had been in Slytherin I could have made something of them….

I looked about once again hoping that none of the Death Eaters would spot me entering such a place. No doubt the Twins would inform the whole world of my visit but it is not like anybody would believe them anyway. I smirked as I imagined the reaction of the boys to the arrival of their former Potions Master. My curiosity had gotten the better of me and I was sure that I could get a little present for my rodent friend. I walked in the door and up to the counter.
“Professor”, said Fred, “What are you doing here?”
“I should think that is obvious. I came to see what rubbish you are inflicting upon wizarding kind.” I replied. I tutted surveying the shop.
“So this how you boys have been wasting your time since your premature and rather dramatic departure” I said snorting derisively. I was impressed but I was not going to let the Gryffindors know that.
“I would hardly call this a waste”, retorted George gesturing towards the till.
“Yeah we are raking in the Galleons”, added Fred.
“Mind if I have a look around your ah premises?” I asked.
“Sure” they replied in unison with barely concealed smiles. My eyes swept the shelves for a suitable present for my most unwelcome houseguest. Ah the famous Canary Creams... I might just invite a surprised Wormtail for a cup of tea and a biscuit or better yet Wormtail might just offer the Dark Lord a custard cream the next time he called. I savoured the thought of the Dark Lord transformed into a large yellow Canary. I could not help thinking that it was a pity that we could not solve all our problems by leaving the Dark Lord a helpless Canary for the rest of his days. I suddenly had the image of Harry Potter rushing to confront the Dark Lord armed with a Canary Cream. “Weasleys’s Wizarding Wheezes”: the power the Dark Lord knows not. Once I sobered I picked up four packets and took them over to the till. I was sure I could disguise them in other food and prevent Wormtail from eating me out of house and home.
“Any chance these are permanent?” I asked quite seriously. The Twins were simply starring at me in disbelief. I suppose it did seem quite improbable for their sarcastic and mean teacher and Death Eater to be buying something so juvenile. But for goodness sake even the Dark Lord has a sense of humour. I will never understand Gryffindors and they will never understand me. I have always relished showing students that I was indeed human especially Gryffindors. Slytherins normally appreciated my dry humour and sarcasm as did Ravenclaws. Hufflepuffs just kept their heads down and worked. It was the Gryffindors that had that problem mainly. One memorable year the first year Gryffindors were convinced by the usual rumours that I was a vampire. I was so exasperated that I walked into the class one afternoon with loads of garlic and a wooden cross. The Slytherins burst into laughter while the Gryffindors were left feeling foolish. Oh I do love making Gryffindors feel foolish.
“Well?” I asked as no reply was forthcoming.
“No unfortunately” George finally answered with a smile.
“Thought so and more is the pity” I lamented. I placed them on the counter and suddenly had another idea.
“I have a major rodent problem. Any chance you have some muggle mousetraps? I am running out. Of course the biscuits will help but the mousetraps will be more fun.” I smiled maliciously. They looked at me in surprise. No doubt they were wondering how exactly I was would use the Canary Creams to solve a rat infestation.
“How many do you need?” George asked me.
“How many have you got” I replied.

I left the shop a few minutes later with my moneybags considerably lighter but with my heart lighter too. One hundred mousetraps and four packets of Canary Creams. I was going to have some fun.

I must thank LouisaB for the inspiration. The Canary Creams idea may sound familiar as I am sure there was a pov which involved them before. Thank you to whoever wrote it and I hope that you do not mind.

Vote Severus Snape for Minister of Magic!
Old August 15th, 2006, 5:11 pm
Fourth Year

Oh, waddiwasiwitch, that was hilarious! I had already seen it Over There, but it was such a pleasure to read it again!

Quote:
Originally Posted by waddiwasiwitch
“Weasleys’s Wizarding Wheezes”: the power the Dark Lord knows not.

And I - I've trodden the forest, [...] | Thou art the Stranger I know best, [...] | Walter De La Mare, Under the Rose (Song of the Wanderer), 1873 - 1956

Snape's Army : Aut Dice Aut Discede, Learn or leave | There's MorE to his Dark Snark ...
Old August 15th, 2006, 11:13 pm
Third Year

waddiwasiwitch : super funny! I loved it!

Edit eh here is a story I came up with...I hope it's okay. It’s really short and doesn't have much detail but it's just for fun.

How Snape killed Voldemort

Severus opened the large brown door, stepped in and looked around at the old and decaying living room of the Riddle house. Voldemort had asked him to come here to deliver a bottle of potion that he-Severus- had made. After a few anxious moments Voldemort to entered the room and walked up to Severus.
“Do you have it?” he asked
“I do.” Said Severus taking out a bottle filled with purple liquid from his robes.
“Excellent.” Said Voldemort softly taking the bottle from Severus.
Severus watched as Voldemort surveyed the bottle carefully.
“And you are sure it has been made correctly?” He asked his cold red eyes boring in to Severus’s dark empty ones.
“Well I did brew it myself so yes I suppose it has been.” He said trying to keep his voice as calm and polite as he could.
“Very well, you may go. “ Side Voldemort dismissively after finding no hint of a lie.
Severus bowed deeply, but did not move. “Eh my lord this is still a very dangerous potion you should probably take it slowly and be very careful with it, only a few drops at a time.”
“Yes, alright well if that is all then you may go.” Said Voldemort a little impatiently.
“Thank you my lord.” Said Severus taking another deep bow, and this time turning around and making his way out of the house. Severus had passed the gate and was heading near some trees where he could disapperat when a noise made him stop and look back at the old house. Voldemort was screaming; he was in agony..... Severus smiled maliciously.
“Oh and you should probably let that potion cool for about an hour; the heat’s murderous.”

Last edited by Scantra; August 16th, 2006 at 3:11 am.
Old August 16th, 2006, 12:28 pm
Sixth Year

Mousetraps and hot potions... That's why I love this thread.

Old August 16th, 2006, 6:50 pm
Second Year

MorE glad to oblige!! Scantra and UselessCharmMaster thanks. Glad you enjoyed it.
And Scantra good job again!

Vote Severus Snape for Minister of Magic!
Old August 16th, 2006, 10:40 pm
Fifth Year

Hmm... I am not sure I will be writing anything, but I LOVE what I have read so far!! waddiwasiwitch, very amusing piece!

scantra, your bits are amazing too! They are tiny flashes into Severus' existence!

Ravenclaw on COS
Slytherin on Pottermore:
Yeah, that's about right!
HawthornAsphodel133
Old August 17th, 2006, 9:32 pm
Fourth Year

Oh, hpfan101, you really should give it a try! The only problem is that it is really addictive

Here is something that came to me when I woke up this morning ... I really shouldn't be "Pottering" as my friends call my forum activity with my Master's exam up in a week (and I am so behind ) but this is just something my overwrought mind produced and I really had to get it out of my system ... it picks up right after my piece on the argument in the forest (Post 883, I believe). It is not long and not too well wrought either as I sneaked it in between those much more pressing issues of the day (heck, who really NEEDS a life besides these forums ) and it basically ends with the same question as the previous one Well, I hope you enjoy it anyway ...

Severus jerked his head irritably to shake back the strands of black hair that had escaped the leather strap he had used to keep his long, lank curtains out of his face. He wiped the sweat from his brow with the rolled back sleeve of his loose black robes and massaged his temples. What time was it? He had produced enough of that complicated Potion to stop -- no, only delay -- the curse in Dumbledore's withered hand to last a month and he had restocked the entire infirmary -- twice -- but still he felt he could not sleep. When he closed his eyes there was that image, that request he had read in his best friend's eyes …
Oh, Albus! How can you … ! How do you ever expect me to --
He drew his robes tighter around him, and abruptly swept away from the softly simmering cauldron. His eyes darted to the shelves which were bending under the weight of numerous books and objects with a frantic, obsessive but unseeing gaze.
What next? I must do … something, anything!
He blinked but this time, finally, the tears would not be stopped.
Damn you, Albus!
One of the jars spontaneously burst from its shelf, spilling its unsavoury contents mixed with glass fragments all over the floor.
Stepping backwards whilst reaching for his wand he felt a shard cut deeply into the heel of his left foot.
Pain … might actually help, if … but no …
His bare feet were numb from their hours long contact with the icy Dungeon floor. The minor throbbing did nothing to distract him from what really hurt him, what had cut straight through his soul --
Figuratively speaking, Severus thought wryly, the literal part …
No!

He didn't even try to stop the fit of sobs that shook his body, but instead he sank onto one of the straight-backed wooden chairs, face buried in his hands.
Anything! You could have asked me anything, Albus, my friend, but not … I would die for you, you know I would! Gladly!
The throbbing had now turned into a slight stinging.
And I will! I'm not going to -- the reason I got OUT!
His thoughts of that morning recurred to him, hit him as hard now as they had before: I didn't leave HIM to become a murderer for YOU instead ... You are my friend ... I will not be responsible for the death of a friend ... again ...
He choked.
It's all my fault anyway … that dratted Vow! But no, I will not … If the plan fails … I --

A faint noise, a sudden yet lingering note as if someone had struck a single chord on a harp, brought him back to his senses. A faint golden glow had replaced the almost complete darkness of his office. Severus looked up and blinked, again. The Phoenix had perched itself precariously on the rim of the still gently fuming cauldron, it's magnificent head at less than a nose length from Severus' own, pale face.
At less than a "beak's length", it flashed through his mind, causing the minutest of smiles to curl his thin lips.
The bird let out a low musical squawk.
For the first time since he had retreated to the Dungeons, days ago it seemed, he realised how cold he was and how tired. If he could only lay down and …
not get up anymore … ever …
He let out a quavering sigh and momentarily closed his eyes. Fawkes' black, beady ones where instantaneously replaced by a pair of blue ones.
Albus!
The words of that dreaded morning, both the spoken and unspoken ones, resonated in his head. The images flashed before his mind, memories that pressed heavily on his chest. Gasping for air, arms tightly wrapped around him, he staggered to his feet only to wince in pain as he put weight on his wounded foot.
Damn!
His sudden and rather clumsy movements had started the Phoenix off its rim in a flurry of gold and crimson. The creature now circled his head whilst pecking at his hair.
"Alright, alright, no need to pluck me," Severus muttered, holding out his left arm whilst steadying himself by gripping the back of the chair with his right. Softly crooning, Fawkes settled himself on the offered shoulder.
Doesn't weigh a feather, Severus wondered, slightly surprised because of the size of the bird, and all of a sudden feeling alarmingly drowsy.
"Bed, eh? You want me to" -- no, Albus wants me -- "to get some sleep …" he said as he stifled a yawn.
Not a bad idea, I guess, if only … the thoughts, the memories, the nightmares … the task …
An all too familiar chill gripped him again with its icy claws, but this time the Phoenix's breath was there in his neck, hot and tingling. He clenched his teeth to stop them from chattering -- or to prevent another outburst of sobs? He snorted and limped to the adjacent quarters, where he simply dropped on the rumpled sheets without bothering to get out of his robes or to tend to his injury. [Tomorrow. If ever …
On a last vibrating note of Fawkes who had settled himself at his feet Severus allowed himself to drift away.

There had been something else too, he thought as he clung onto the last straws of consciousness. Something …
He knew he had not imagined it. And that is was important. He frowned in his attempt to recall. That flickering of -- what was it? Pain? Sorrow? -- on that old familiar face?
Something you have not been telling me …

Albus … ?
His increasingly incoherent thoughts faded into the impenetrable blackness of a dreamless sleep.

And I - I've trodden the forest, [...] | Thou art the Stranger I know best, [...] | Walter De La Mare, Under the Rose (Song of the Wanderer), 1873 - 1956

Snape's Army : Aut Dice Aut Discede, Learn or leave | There's MorE to his Dark Snark ...

Last edited by Morgan_Emerald; August 17th, 2006 at 9:36 pm.
Old August 17th, 2006, 9:46 pm
Third Year

That was great! good job Morgan_Emerald !

Old August 17th, 2006, 10:13 pm
Sixth Year

Very interesting, Morgan_Emerald! I liked the Phoenix very much.

(Ah, how much I understand you, every time I have some exams to take, I feel a strong need of writing something... of courese, something absolutely else ).

Old August 19th, 2006, 7:27 pm
Fifth Year

MorE, that was excellent! I also like Fawkes coming to Severus. Very eloquent in its implications! You have me on a cliffhanger! What is Dumbledore not telling him???

Ravenclaw on COS
Slytherin on Pottermore:
HawthornAsphodel133
Old August 20th, 2006, 12:01 pm
Fourth Year

Thanks, Scantra, UselessCharmMaster, hpfan101!

hpfan101: I hope you're safely strapped into one of those mountaineering girdles, because you could be left hanging on that cliff for a while

Fawkes, yes, I just HAD to have some Fawkes - Severus interaction, especially since I expect to see that in Book 7. Probably not in great detail, I mean, as long as Book 7 is not written from Sev's POV there will only be implications as to what really happens to The Great Billowy One I really believe that Sev and Albus are so in sync that Fawkes would feel comfortable with either of them. And now, with Albus dead, and both Severus AND Fawkes gone from Hogwarts ...

Old August 20th, 2006, 8:02 pm
Fifth Year

Alright, you guys, you've inspired me! Here's my first try at this, so don't be too harsh. I have a plan on where I want to go, but I thought I would start with this.

SNAPE'S VIEW POST-HBP:The cold settled in as Snape’s feet pounded against the wet pavement. What have I done? Why did he…no, I must concentrate.

“Where are we going?” Draco’s voiced trembled slightly in the night air. “I can’t, I mustn’t…please….”

Snape spared a glance at the boy. It was all his fault. Well, not entirely. Snape supposed he had to admit his role in this mess as well.

“You will follow me and you will do well to keep your mouth shut. Do you understand me?”

“But he will kill me! You promised, you told my mother, you can’t just…”

”Quiet! Did you not hear me? You will do as I tell you!”

“And if I don’t?” Snape thought he heard a touch of defiance beneath the boy’s terrified persona.

“Then you will die!” Snape turned around so sharply that Draco cowed back into the darkness. Snape's piercing gaze held Draco's until the boy dropped his eyes. Snape pivoted on his heels and continued walking down the gloomy road. As they passed house after house, Snape could see the faint glimmer of light shining up ahead. Just a few more blocks. Once they were inside, I can think. Finally, they rounded a corner and stopped in front of a run-down one-story house. Snape put up his hand to indicate silence from Draco. With the other, Snape withdrew his wand. Slowly, Snape inched the door open and waited, listening. After several minutes of silence, Snape ushered Draco in.

“Where are…”

”Quiet!” A scuffling sound reached their ears, as if someone were trying very hard to move undetected. Snape raised his wand and a bright yellow light jumped out of its tip, illuminating a giant rat. The light grew, surrounding the rat as the two watched the animal transform slowly into small, groveling man.

“Severus,” the man stuttered. “I did not expect you back…you were supposed to…I thought…” The man’s words died on his tongue as he looked into Snape’s dead eyes. Something had changed.

The minutes passed slowly as Snape paced across the room. Finally, when he spoke, there was an eerie timber to his flattened pitch. “You will both stay here. You will contact no one, and I mean no one.” Snape’s gaze settled hard on Draco’s. When the boy nodded his affirmation, Snape continued his slow amble across the room.

“I must go, but I will return shortly. I will see what I can do about this…situation.”

“What situation? Severus, I beg of you, I am not here to be kept out of…”

“You are here because you have no other place where you are needed, Wormtail! You will do as I say. I trust you will do well to remember that I will know if you attempt to contact anyone.”

Wormtail’s hands shook slightly. “I haven’t, I wouldn’t dream of…”

Snape sneered at the man, the man who had started this all, three years previous. What he wouldn’t give to end this here and now. But he couldn’t lose sight of his goal, the end. Once he spoke with the Dark Lord, once he ensured Draco’s protection, he could continue with the plan. Snape hurried to the front door. As he reached the door, he turned around, sparing an instant.

“I will return when….when I can.” Casting a final look at the two, the man's face filled with an expression of hatred, the boy with one of confusion and fear, Snape stepped out into the harsh, unforgiving night and Disapparated instantly.

Miles away, Snape collapsed in silence on a bench, secluded from his fellow beings. I can't face him. What will I say? How can I keep this up? He will know! How could he have asked this of me? Over and over, the last lines he ever heard his dear friend say to him kept replaying in his mind, haunting him: Severus. Severus, please.

Snape reached up and ran a hand over his cheeks, slightly surprised to find them glistening with wetness. His insides twisted in agony. What was I to do? Were we both to die? What use would it have been? The old man knew, he knew, but Snape felt the doubt creep into his mind. I'M NOT STRONG ENOUGH! I'm not strong enough. I'm just…just a man. And now, I have to go face a monster.

The minutes ticked by slowly. Snape knew he couldn’t afford to waste any more time. He could grieve later, when it was over, when it was safe. The others will have arrived by now, will have related the events to the Dark Lord. What lies would they tell by the time Snape arrived? Would he survive the night? He knew he had to try. He had a plan for Draco, in case things went badly tonight, but he hoped it would not come to that. Slowly, Snape raised himself to his feet, quickly formulating his plans, his words, his memories. He closed his eyes and felt the strength fill him, a warm, long glow that filled his heart with strength and courage. I promise, I won’t let you down, my dear friend.

A fox nearby heard the swishing of fabric as it sauntered through the trees. As it approached the bench, it jumped in fright at the sound of a loud pop. Slowly, it peered into the darkness. Assured it was alone, it crept over to the bench.

Ravenclaw on COS
Slytherin on Pottermore:
HawthornAsphodel133
Old August 20th, 2006, 11:20 pm
Fourth Year

Ah, reeled you in, haven't we

Now you will truly experience the addictiveness of creeping into The Great Billowy One's mind

Quote:
Originally Posted by hpfan101
I'm just…just a man. And now, I have to go face a monster.

Old August 21st, 2006, 2:12 am
Third Year

that was great hpfan101 ! I can't wait till you write more!

Old September 3rd, 2006, 7:29 pm
Assistant to Professor Snape

Hello,

I see it's been quiet here lately, but I haven't been around in a good long time, so there's plenty that's new to me!

Scantra, waddiwassiwitch, Morgan_Emerald and hpfan101. thanks for giving me a long-overdue Snape fix. Good and fun reading!

I have another chunk of story, I guess you could call it a week in the life of Death Eater Snape.

Quote:
In his career as a spy among the Death Eaters, Severus Snape had experienced horrors, but he now experienced the most frustrating week he had ever known. The Dark Lord consistently kept him separated from the group planning to attack the Ministry of Magic. He still had no idea exactly what they were planning, and as the days wore on he was afraid that his failure to learn details of the plan would necessitate only a general warning. Always cynical, he doubted that many Ministry Aurors were up to the challenge of being flexible in the face of a Death Eater attack. Even Rufus Scrimgeour, capable of being as ruthless as the Dark Lord, lacked what Snape believed was most important; what Muggles termed ‘the ability to think outside the box.’

One bright spot, as the days went on, was Peter Pettigrew’s increasing frustration at being relegated to the cellar. Since Snape had often brewed the most elaborate of potions, some taking far longer to finish than Polyjuice Potion, he enjoyed the little rat’s growing misery at having to interrupt his sleep every few hours. Seeing the traitorous Marauder’s beady eyes grow more bloodshot and resentful as the days went on warmed Snape’s Slytherin heart. The pressure of knowing that the Dark Lord was directly overhead must add to the stress, and Snape had heard that once, while he was absent in Hogsmeade, Bellatrix had paid a visit to the cellars. The thought of her insane temper unleashed on Pettigrew was most pleasing.

Snape was forced to sleep several times at Riddle House. It was terrible, knowing that the Dark Lord did not trust him and that he would be vulnerable to attack in his sleep. He had chosen a small room in the attics, with only a sagging old wooden bed in it, and used every magical ward he could think of to protect himself from anyone attempting to gain entry. The Dark Lord was aware of this, he knew, and was amused by it. It was, after all, a thing that Lord Voldemort himself had always done.

His trips to Hogsmeade, allegedly to check on his followers and supplement their inadequate report, helped to keep him sane. Aberforth Dumbledore rarely spoke to him, but when he did speak it was to impart very valuable information. The taciturn barkeep heard of or saw almost everything that happened in the village. Snape now knew a major source of Albus Dumbledore’s information regarding village affairs. Aberforth made a small room in the attic available only to Snape at all times. He knew when the spy was in residence, and magically supplied regular meals to him. Since Snape never ate while he was at Riddle House, the man’s thoughtfulness helped to keep him physically strong.

One might imagine, Snape thought cynically, that his trusty spies would discover that he sometimes stayed in the same place that they had set up residence, but that was not the case. It was fortunate that Amycus and Alecto feared him, because it was the only thing that kept them focused on their pathetic efforts at spying. His appearances at random times found them sometimes dead drunk, sometimes sober, but unendingly stupid. They always jumped to anxious attention, however, and when he made suggestions, they followed them, at least for a short time. After one particularly revolting visit, he wondered idly if he could convince them that the Dark Lord was really Harry Potter, disguised by Polyjuice. They could attack their leader and be dispatched with no fuss and bother on his part. Then the fact that he could consider such outrageous absurdities made him question his own sanity.

After seven or eight days of traveling between Hogsmeade and Riddle House, the Dark Lord finally called Snape to his presence.

“Good evening, Severus,” Lord Voldemort said pleasantly. “It seems that you have been kept busy lately. What have you accomplished of late?” The red eyes bored into Snape’s expressionless eyes, searching for a reason to doubt the man’s loyalty.

“I am forced to spend a great deal of time in Hogsmeade, repairing the deficiencies in my associates’ reports,” replied Snape coldly.

“Are you dissatisfied with the team I have given you?

Snape saw that something had enraged the Dark Lord, and he was looking for an excuse to vent his displeasure on him. Now he must not stray too far into obsequiousness or independence. “Not at all,” he replied carefully. “I believe it is a wise leader who knows the weaknesses as well as the strengths of his subordinates. Since we both know that Alecto and Amycus lack some of the skills necessary for this job, it falls to me to supply what is lacking in their report. Their work is still valuable. They are aware of some movements that I have not seen, and pick up useful information at times when I am not in Hogsmeade.”

Lord Voldemort smiled thinly. “Your skill at diplomacy impresses me, Severus. Have you seen anything unusual occurring in Hogsmeade?”

“According to several sources, there was talk of closing Hogwarts immediately after Dumbledore’s death,” Snape said slowly. “However, Minerva McGonagall was recently appointed permanent Headmistress by the Ministry, and she has announced that the school will open as usual on September first. Whether many students will actually return remains to be seen.”

The Dark Lord threw back his head and laughed madly. “The loyal Professor McGonagall, carrying out her duty to the last. I look forward to killing the pathetic old fool myself, when we take Hogwarts.”

Snape maintained his calm demeanor. “The Aurors show an increasing presence in the village. I am slightly surprised that they have not discovered Amycus and Alecto yet. I believe Rufus Scrimgeour is watching Hogwarts closely, but I am at a loss to imagine what more he thinks will happen there.” He paused and looked intently at Lord Voldemort. “Now that Dumbledore is dead, is there some reason for him to believe that you are still interested in the school?”

The Dark Lord met his stare boldly. “Perhaps he is still concerned about the welfare of Harry Potter. I have not forgotten the cursed boy, but once we have taken control of the government, there will be no place left for him to hide.”

Snape nodded silently. The Death Eaters frequently heard the Dark Lord rant about Harry Potter, but in this case, the boy had been dragged into the discussion as an evasive maneuver, and he wondered why.

“The Polyjuice Potion is coming along very well,” Snape mentioned offhandedly. “I had some doubts about Pettigrew’s ability to do the job, but I am pleased to see that he is competent.”

“He brewed the potion that restored me to my body,” hissed Voldemort. “Do not doubt his abilities.”

“An impressive accomplishment, and undoubtedly his greatest triumph,” Snape murmured. “Yet brewing a potion over the course of one month is not easy, and he has surprised me with his ability to focus.”

“Can it be that you have threatened him with bodily harm?” the madman asked lightly.

Snape permitted a faint, icy smile to touch his lips.

“As time goes on, I see something of myself in you,” Lord Voldemort remarked.

“Really, Master,” replied Snape softly. “You flatter me, I believe.”

“Of course, in your position, I would quite likely be plotting to overthrow my master, so I believe I must not be too complacent in your company.”

There were suddenly dangers everywhere. Snape allowed the silence to build before he said slowly, “I have never felt the desire to overthrow you master, or to rule others.”

“I wonder if that is true,” replied Lord Voldemort icily. “I have seen you command my poor Wormtail very effectively.”

“I will not tolerate disrespect from an inferior,” he snapped, and his black eyes were hard and cold. “I will use such creatures in service to your cause, but I am well aware of their worth.”

“Very well, Severus,” said the Dark Lord. “I find your candor refreshing. But we must go now, so that you may meet the giants that we shall use to take Hogwarts.”

Snape nodded, feeling slightly surprised. He had not thought that he would be in contact with giants this soon. Ready or not, this must be one of the Dark Lord’s tests of his loyalty and courage. “Where shall we be going?”

“The last of the giants live isolated in the Ural Mountains. We shall do Side-Along Apparition. The Gurg’s name is Golgomath. He understands English fairly well, but his speech is unintelligible. I understand him through Legilimency.” Lord Voldemort watched closely to see his reaction.

Severus allowed his eyes to widen slightly in surprise, but wisely said nothing, knowing there would be more.

“I hope that you have some rudimentary ability at Legilimency, Severus. Few wizards have any aptitude for it.”

“My Lord, none can hope to approach your skill. Is there some other way to communicate with the creatures?” asked Snape, carefully allowing a faint, anxious note to creep into his voice.

“That is what we are about to see,” the Dark Lord murmured gleefully. He had not seen fear or hesitation since Snape’s return after killing Dumbledore, and this would indeed test the wizard’s mettle. “If you are ready, Severus.”

He held out a bony arm, and Severus carefully repressed his revulsion at being forced to touch him. The familiar feeling of Apparition took them before Snape was fully prepared.

Their destination was cold, remote and rocky. At first there seemed to be nothing living in sight, except Lord Voldemort, if you could call him alive, thought Snape. The sky was overcast and the light was rather dim, for summer. They stood in a small, bowl-shaped valley surrounded by rough mountains. He watched as Lord Voldemort strode to the center of the bowl, raised his wand skyward and shot the Dark Mark up into the sky over the valley. When several huge heads appeared in cave entrances, Snape walked deliberately to stand near the Dark Lord. He knew that giants were tough, and resistant to many spells, and ran over, in his mind, the likeliest ways he could think of to defend himself.

A roar came from one of the peaks and was echoed by many other voices. Snape had never actually seen a pure, full-grown giant before this, and had vaguely pictured the creatures he had studied in books, but only slightly larger than Hagrid. He was aware that Voldemort was watching his reaction, and worked desperately to control his features, but he was stunned by the enormity of them. The rock walls reverberated with their deep, coarse voices as they clambered down from their homes in the mountain peaks, and it took almost half an hour for them all to arrive in front of the Dark Lord.

Snape counted and saw fifteen of them. They ranged between nineteen and twenty-five feet tall, and any of them could crush him under foot like an insect. Their huge, dull eyes lacked human intelligence, and despair at finding a way to communicate with them grew in his mind. Involuntarily he crossed his arms across his chest, but realized that such a pose denoted weakness. But as he lowered his hands, he felt his leather jacket pocket and remembered his Muggle pistol. Bullets might not do much damage, but one well-placed shot through a giant’s eye, followed by speedy Apparating, would at least save his life. Explaining to the Dark Lord would be another problem, but he now felt more confident about his short-term survival prospects.

The largest and least human-looking giant knelt clumsily before Lord Voldemort and growled unintelligibly.

“Rise, Golgomath, thou mighty Gurg,” proclaimed the Dark Lord. “I come to present my loyal lieutenant, Severus Snape, to you. He shall direct you in the battle that is to come.”

Privately, Snape felt that a little less pomposity and more words of one syllable were called for, but he was not in charge. He waited impassively as the Gurg and at least several other giants who had understood, looked him over. Their body movements seemed to indicate doubt of his fitness, and he glared coolly from one to the other, as though doubting their abilities. Rather than calling the Dark Lord’s attention to his Legilimency, he simply observed the giants closely.

Abruptly, one of the less prominent giants turned around, picked up a boulder the size of a small house and hurled it furiously at Snape. Instinctively he blasted it with a spell, sending pointy shards of stone in all directions. Several hit other giants, causing cuts to open up. One slashed open the Gurg’s massive forehead, causing him to rub irritably and smear blood all over his face.

Voldemort laughed gleefully as several other giants picked up boulders and began throwing them at Severus, forcing him to defend himself. As he blasted boulders, stone chips flew in all directions. Oddly enough this seemed to amuse the giants, but when a boulder came at him too quickly, Snape was forced to Apparate to a spot behind them, to avoid being crushed. This made the giants howl in confusion, and it seemed that Snape, who had been popular when destroying the flying boulders, was now seen as a cheat for disappearing as their target.

Looking quickly around, Snape found what he needed, a massive boulder, five times the size of the giants’ playthings. He Levitated it into the air above their heads, and slowly lowered it to the ground he had been standing on in the center of the bowl-shaped valley.

One after the other, the giants tried and failed to lift it. Only the Gurg could even shift it on the ground, but suddenly he realized it could be put to better use and sat his bottom on the boulder. Obviously it was his newest throne. The giants all looked at Snape, who was standing quietly off to the side, and approving murmurs filled the air.

“Interesting, Severus,” the Dark Lord said with a cynical laugh. “I enjoyed watching you perform giant sports. Obviously, it does not take much to impress them.”

“I have never seen giants before, Master. They are most impressive. But can they be controlled?”

“Only by the Gurg. Of course he may have to kill one in order to get the attention of the others,” replied Voldemort, his red eyes gleaming with mad delight.

“Fascinating,” Snape replied levelly. He saw movements up in the peaks and realized that there were others up there, watching from the caves. “How many of them are here?”

“I believe about eighty,” came the careless reply. “The majority will not be useful to my cause.”

“My Lord, this group seems more than adequate. They could probably dismantle London in a few days,” muttered Snape. “I hope something will be left of the school when they are finished.”

“Why, Severus, are you already possessive of your future position? You shall have quite enough school left to rule over, my loyal servant.”

While Snape concentrated on the Dark Lord’s statement, a giant standing behind him had picked up another boulder, perhaps not realizing that the game had ended. He threw it toward the clever little black man, hoping to see him smash it, but instead it sideswiped the tiny wizard, who crumpled soundlessly to the ground.

The giants who had seen it happen immediately clustered around the fallen wizard and his inadvertent attacker poked curiously at him with a massive finger.

Lord Voldemort stepped back and stood by the side of the Gurg, with a wicked smile on his face. “I should have mentioned to my servant that your people are strong and unpredictable,” he murmured. He looked forward to seeing how Snape would deal with this situation, always assuming that his head had not been crushed by the rock, he thought dispassionately.

Snape was first conscious of acute agony and sensed danger all around. Without opening his eyes he tried to figure out what had happened. In tensing the muscles in his left arm, his body spasmed dreadfully and he realized that broken bones were involved. Radius and ulna, definitely. He tried to move his head slightly and realized that his collarbone was broken too. The high, cold sound of the Dark Lord’s laughter rang through the air. Although he would have preferred to stay unconscious, he knew he must deal with whatever was happening to him. Reluctantly, he forced his eyes open.

Giants! Memory returned, and he realized that he must have been dealt a glancing blow in their primitive game. They seemed curious, rather than aggressive, he thought, although that did not lessen the danger. “Accio wand!” he whispered, holding up his right hand slightly to receive it. His wand came immediately to him. He felt his collarbone, checking for the proper alignment, and then murmured the incantation to repair it. Immediately his head was clearer and he felt less helpless.

Still standing back, Voldemort watched as Snape claimed his wand and began to heal himself. The younger wizard was economical in his use of energy. His movements were subtle, making it difficult to see his intentions unless one already had an idea. Each time he interacted with Snape he was more pleased that the man had chosen to follow him, yet still uneasy.

Snape, meanwhile, had the agonizing task of laying his arm out straight so he could heal the multiple fractures properly. It took four tries, and the first three ended in failure when he collapsed onto his back, gasping. But if he did not complete what he now knew was another test, his position would be severely weakened. So he endeavored to set his arm straight once again.

This time the bones settled fairly easily into the proper conformation. With a faint sigh of relief, Severus quickly healed his broken arm. He felt shaky and ill, but he climbed to his feet, resumed his impassive expression and presented himself before the Dark Lord.

“Well, Severus,” the red-eyed madman said jovially, “I see you are learning the rules of giant games.”

“The only rule that matters seems to be Do not lose, I believe,” Snape replied coolly. What must we accomplish here, Master?”

“It seems that we have accomplished the most important task, which is to give you an introduction into the world of our allies,” Voldemort replied. “We shall return again immediately before the battle day. You shall assist me in transporting them to Hogsmeade.”

Snape allowed a hint of eagerness to appear in response to hearing that they would depart. He did not wish to appear interested in the fate of the giants, and actually, would not feel safe until he was away. His bones were healed, but his damaged muscles were extremely painful and he did not wish to be a victim of their giant game again.

“I am appointed to meet with Bellatrix shortly, so I, at least, must leave. Will you stay to become better acquainted with our allies?” he asked nastily.

“I have other duties to perform, Master. There are many things I have yet to learn, so I must also leave our, ah… allies, for now.” Snape found it easy to assume an expression of distaste.

“I shall leave you now, Severus, but I hope to see you in the course of the next few days.” The Dark Lord said. Without waiting for a response he Disapparated.

Snape sketched a brief salute to his gigantic playmates. They all looked to feel reasonably positive about him, Merlin only knew why, and he Disapparated immediately to the Shrieking Shack.

It was the early hours of the morning there. He was aching and filthy, but forced himself to trudge once more to the Hog’s Head.

Aberforth Dumbledore seemed never to sleep. Faint light came from his tiny office in the back, and when the black-cloaked figure approached, he opened the door and beckoned Snape inside. Then he waited in silence while Snape sat gingerly down.

“I saw the giants tonight, and the Dark Lord plans to bring them first to Hogsmeade,” Snape whispered bluntly. “I shall get word to the Order through the Headmistress, who is working on the threat. But you should also know.”

Aberforth nodded. “Rough night? You look done for,” he muttered. “Your fools upstairs’re dead drunk again. When you get their report, I’ll tell you what they missed.”

“Thank you. I shall be away for two days, although the Dark Lord will believe I am in Hogsmeade during most of that time. Please watch carefully. I must now begin weaving the threads of information together, and the pattern must be as complete as possible.” He cautiously rubbed the damaged muscles in his shoulder, feeling weary and hopeless.

Aberforth rose and placed a hand lightly on Snape’s uninjured shoulder. “It’s good work you’re doin’, Severus Snape. Keep your chin up. Albus’d be proud of you,” he said in his low, hesitant voice.

The exhausted spy fought to keep burning tears from his black eyes. Never had he expected assistance, much less kindness from this taciturn old man. It was as though Albus Dumbledore had personally bestowed on him this gift of an ally, when he needed one so desperately. When he had mastered his voice, he rose and said, “Thank you. Without your help this would be impossible.” They parted from each other in silence. But moments after the door had closed behind him, Severus looked back once more, oddly comforted by the small light shining from the grimy office of the Hog’s Head.

Old September 3rd, 2006, 10:55 pm
Fourth Year

Sly_Lady: that was once again masterful and chilling! WHAT is going to happen Oh, poor Severus! Fortunately, there is Aberforth, but ... my, those awful giants! I love how you have Voldemort recognise (and fear ;-) Sev's qualities, though

Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > Forum Archives > Harry Potter Archives > The Common Room