Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > Harry Potter > Muggle Studies

Should the movies have been made after all of the books were written?

Old August 25th, 2009, 7:20 pm
Third Year

Re: Should the movies have been made after all of the books were written?

if the WB had waited for all the books to be published to start making movies, this probably would have taken 30 years in total and nobody would know who the heck Daniel Radcliffe was.

Old August 26th, 2009, 7:52 am
Third Year

For me, it doesn't really matter, as long as they do make the movies.

But I prefer them making the movies in the middle of the series, so when we buy the latest book, we already have an idea of how the characters look like from watching the actors.

Old August 26th, 2009, 12:31 pm
First Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midknight View Post
...I believe that had WB waited until the release of the final books they would have potentially lost some valued fans.
That to me is very true...i firmly believe that the success of the first film at least was high not only because it was a great book and people were anticipating whether it would be a great movie as well...but also the fact that the first book alone had only come out 6 years previous and the "Hype of Harry Potter" had only just started as was very strong. That of course had got the ball rolling for the others.

And they would indeed have lost valued fans if they has waited beacuse so many would have grown up and lost interest...forgot details from the books etc. and it wouldnt have been so successful. And of course the fact that children who were 11 and 12 (successful ages to film the first movie) when DH came out probably haven't read the books as widely as the actual! Harry Potter Generation

Wand: 12-3/4", Larch, Dragon core, quite flexible
Gryffindor
Old August 26th, 2009, 10:07 pm
Second Year

I do not think they should have waited for all 7 books. I think if they had, some people, even those who read and enjoyed the books, might have been tired of the whole pottermania thing and decided not to see the films at all. In fact I know people who say they are tired of hearing about the hoopla each time a new film comes out and it's not because they don't like it- it's just that ten years is a long time and they have seen other great films and read other great books since this all began. People's interests can change as the years go on and if they had waited, I think some people might have moved on before all the films were done. Harry Potter mania cannot last forever no matter how much we want it to. There will always be something else, some other series, Twilight or even something else, which comes along and gets the public's attention. I think they were right to make the films when they did and this is also because I never really got interested in HP until the first film was released. I had friends who told me to read the books but for some reason I never did until the movie was being made. Then of course by the time the first one was out, I was almost, if not completely, caught up on the books and really excited for the movie. I do not think they will attempt to remake HP, even as a cartoon on TV, for a long time. Whether you like the films or not, the series is over, the books are all out and I get the feeling that the filmmakers sense when the last film is done, they need to move on to something else that will get more public attention. HP has lots of fans as evident by this forum, but I think they will take the chance to move on to something else more mainstream or just something else which might make them more money. Besides, 10 years is a long time to be involved with the same project. Yes all the films are different stories in a sense, but to spend 10 years of your life working with the same story, the same characters, might be a little bit boring. As much as the actors must love these roles (or else why would they have been doing it for this long, and thank goodness they did), I cannot imagine that Maggie Smith or Alan Rickman does not want to move on after Potter and do something completely different, something more challenging in the acting field. Even Daniel Radcliffe says he will be sad but that he is ready to do something completely different once DH is over.

Old September 8th, 2009, 1:46 am
Third Year

Quote:
I think there have been some problems with choosing to make the films before the actual story ended, for example leaving out sub-plots that seemed non-essential at the time but have become vital towards the end of the series.
I agree completely. I think it would have been much better if they waited.

My wand! Made by Christian Mills (captain_mills) from the Mills Family Wand Company.
Click here to see more pictures.
Old September 25th, 2009, 7:52 am
Second Year

I disagree.. With all the hype that the books are getting, there is no possibility that no production house would want to create a film adaptation. The movies were complementing the books and vice versa. Some non-fans were introduced to Harry Potter through the movies before reading the books. So, it was a good thing that they did it simultaneously. A lot of audience are being captured. And we are all entertained.

Old October 3rd, 2009, 6:43 pm
First Year

I was just talking about this with a friend yesterday... absolutly I think they should've waited.

Old October 3rd, 2009, 6:54 pm
Zonko's Employee

I don't see what difference it would have made, except that Warner Brothers were obviously wise to strike while the iron was hot.

Old October 3rd, 2009, 7:06 pm
Fifth Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pearl_Took View Post
I don't see what difference it would have made, except that Warner Brothers were obviously wise to strike while the iron was hot.
So was J.K. Rowling.

Old October 3rd, 2009, 7:08 pm
Zonko's Employee

So you don't think the movies would have been successful if they were just starting on the first movie now? I think they might even have been more successful for some reason..

Hufflepuff through and through! On COS and Pottermore!
Fair, Just, Loyal and unafraid of Toil

Last edited by MasterOfDeath; October 3rd, 2009 at 7:10 pm.
Old October 3rd, 2009, 7:16 pm
Zonko's Employee

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrfutterman View Post
So was J.K. Rowling.
In her shoes, I'd have done the same.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterOfDeath View Post
So you don't think the movies would have been as successful if they were just starting on the first movie now? I think they might even have been more successful for some reason..
I've no idea, to be honest.

They might have been a better class of movie, but I don't think that has anything to do with the timeline or the books' popularity, but with the quality of director. (I don't think the movies are bad, of course ... they just could have been better.)

In any event, it is unlikely you would get the same director for a continuous film series spread out over ten years. The likelihood of the HP series having several directors would still remain an issue, no matter when the films got made.

Old October 3rd, 2009, 7:29 pm
Zonko's Employee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pearl_Took View Post
In her shoes, I'd have done the same.

I've no idea, to be honest.

They might have been a better class of movie, but I don't think that has anything to do with the timeline or the books' popularity, but with the quality of director. (I don't think the movies are bad, of course ... they just could have been better.)

In any event, it is unlikely you would get the same director for a continuous film series spread out over ten years. The likelihood of the HP series having several directors would still remain an issue, no matter when the films got made.
Yeah, they all could have been so much better, no doubt.

With all the books finished, they could have planned everything from the outset. Which directer would direct which film, etc.

Hufflepuff through and through! On COS and Pottermore!
Fair, Just, Loyal and unafraid of Toil

Old October 3rd, 2009, 7:53 pm
Zonko's Employee

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterOfDeath View Post
With all the books finished, they could have planned everything from the outset. Which directer would direct which film, etc.
I'm not sure it would have been that neat and tidy. Directors have other projects, other commitments, other pressures. Of course a big fantasy franchise would have attracted big names. Finding the right directors for a ten year series is a mammoth undertaking.

Old October 3rd, 2009, 7:58 pm
Fifth Year

Before HBP was released Steve Kloves was worried that the films wouldn't be as succesful anymore since it won't come more books.

I think the continuity of the films would be far better if they waited to make them till after all the books were published.

Old October 3rd, 2009, 9:42 pm
Fourth Year

It wouldn't make a difference to me...
Except that maybe everyone would know the end till the last movie came to the cinemas...

Old October 3rd, 2009, 10:09 pm
Fourth Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noldus View Post
I think the continuity of the films would be far better if they waited to make them till after all the books were published.
I agree. I think my biggest issue with the Potter movies is that there are major inconsistancies between PS and HBP. I would have liked to see common threads through all the movies like dress, the layout of Hogwarts, forshadowing, etc.

-JR

Just & Loyal
Old October 3rd, 2009, 10:17 pm
Qvack...

While I don't particularly take a huge interest in the films, in my heart I think they ought to have waited. I'm aware that in doing so the films we have would be very different, and especially some of the actors might have moved on or indeed in the case of Richard Harris, passed on, and it would be a big loss to not have seen him as Dumbledore.

But I also think that if the films were to be made now, with all of the knowledge we have, the films might gel together that bit better and they might flow better as well. On top of that, I'd like to think that some preparatory things laid out in the earlier books to relate to the later might have been built in, which would have looked very impressive.

THE DUCK.

Old October 3rd, 2009, 11:18 pm
Fifth Year

I think the majority of inconsistencies between the films were due to the directors. They decided whether or not to listen to JKR's notes and I think it very telling the only extras she appears in is for POA, the only film I believe captured the tone of the books.

In the case of Yates - he obviously needed to read the last book prior to the last edit of HBP - because he blatantly didn't listen to JKR (re elder wand saga).

Newell had great source material, but chose to ignore it and make his own film - so I don't think it would have mattered if all the books were out or not.

Columbus in my opinion couldn't have done much better than he did.

I am gespatchio Oh!
Old December 30th, 2009, 10:17 pm
Third Year

If they would have waited until all the movies were written, then they would have known which things they could have left out and which not. The whole story would have been ready. In my opinnion it could have been easier to make the movies. And maybe then it would have been the same director through all the movies. In the case that the movies would have been made after all the books had came out, the story would have been clearer and everything would have made a lot more sense.

Old December 30th, 2009, 10:39 pm
Fifth Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by captain Sparrow View Post
If they would have waited until all the movies were written, then they would have known which things they could have left out and which not. The whole story would have been ready. In my opinnion it could have been easier to make the movies. And maybe then it would have been the same director through all the movies. In the case that the movies would have been made after all the books had came out, the story would have been clearer and everything would have made a lot more sense.
Yes they would have known to include Kreacher and Dobby in all the movies they need to be in and perhaps stuck in general more to the books then they have now purely for sensational effects.

Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > Harry Potter > Muggle Studies