Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > Harry Potter > The Stone > Legilimency Studies

Merope Gaunt: Character Analysis

Old January 29th, 2013, 1:56 pm
Third Year

Re: Merope Gaunt: Character Analysis

Quote:
Originally Posted by FurryDice View Post
Riddle Sr. may not have known Merope was pregnant. Or, depending on when she told him, he may not have believed her. Merope may have thought it romantic to let the love potion wear off, then tell Riddle she was pregnant - in which case, it would seem to him another lie, to persuade a kidnap victim to stay. Or, if she had told him before she left the potion wear off, but was only early in her pregnancy, he may not have believed her when she left the potion wear off. He may have seen at as just another lie. And if he believed her, I can see why he wouldn't want anything to do with them - he was forced against his will to have this relationship, this child. IMO, the best that could be hoped for would be for Riddle to take his son, and keep Merope far away from him. Also, it would have been very hard for Riddle to track down Merope and his child, after he escaped. This was in the 1920s.

Perhaps. If Riddle had believed Merope, or if he had found his child, Tom Riddle would probably never have grown into Voldemort. IMO, he would still have had some serious issues, though.
Good point that he may not even have known.

I know this may sound weird, but I feel quite a bit of sympathy for Tom Riddle Sr. I mean, imagine waking up one day, finding yourself somewhere you don't know, and then being told that you had been put under a spell or something. That must have been horrifying. Dumbledore said he didn't say exactly what happened when he returned for fear of being thought insane. Maybe he was very traumatized.

Sponsored Links
Old February 23rd, 2013, 6:41 pm
Hogwarts Graduate

Re: Merope Gaunt: Character Analysis

Quote:
Originally Posted by persian85033 View Post
Good point that he may not even have known.

I know this may sound weird, but I feel quite a bit of sympathy for Tom Riddle Sr. I mean, imagine waking up one day, finding yourself somewhere you don't know, and then being told that you had been put under a spell or something. That must have been horrifying. Dumbledore said he didn't say exactly what happened when he returned for fear of being thought insane. Maybe he was very traumatized.
I felt sorry for him, too. I know he was a snob, but he did not deserve what Merope did to him. He did not deserve to be abducted and forced in that way. I can understand his desire to put as much space as possible between himself and his abductor. I agree he might have been traumatised - being kidnapped and forced into a relationship, all in the context of something you believed impossible (magic) would traumatise anyone. It must have been terrifying for him when the love potion wore off. Perhaps he even spent the rest of his days living in paranoia, fearing that anybody could be her, magically disguised.

Pic by julvett at deviantart http://julvett.deviantart.com/gallery/2984632
"Relationships are like glass; sometimes it's better to leave them broken than to hurt yourself trying to put them back together." Anonymous
"Like this one time I sort of ran over this girl on her bike. It was the most traumatising event of my life and she’s trying to make it about her leg. Like my pain meant nothing." - Cordelia; Buffy the Vampire Slayer S1Ep11.
Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > Harry Potter > The Stone > Legilimency Studies