Login  
 
 
Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > Harry Potter > The Cloak

Who is to blame for Voldemort going bad?



Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #241  
Old August 7th, 2010, 11:03 am
LeStrangePoem  Female.gif LeStrangePoem is offline
First Year
 
Joined: 2673 days
Location: New Zealand
Posts: 36
Re: Who is to blame for Voldemort going bad?

Quote:
Originally Posted by HermioneJ657 View Post
His choices to go EVIL!!! But partly Marvolo Gaunt, he had the evil blood running through the family!!! Through his daughter, into her son.
I think your point is interesting as it then makes me wonder why this 'evil' characteristic skipped Merope. Sure maybe she didn't do right by Tom Riddle snr, but I think it was the actions of a desperate, lonely woman. Not necessarily an evil one. So IMO I would think if there was something inherently evil about the family it ran through the male lines' veins.


Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
  #242  
Old August 8th, 2010, 5:39 am
Salazar360  Undisclosed.gif Salazar360 is offline
First Year
 
Joined: 2693 days
Posts: 24
Re: Who is to blame for Voldemort going bad?

Personally, i think there were alot of people who are to blame for him going bad

1. Merope
2. Marvolo Gaunt
3. Tom Riddle Senior
4. Voldy him self
5. Slughorn
6. Dumbledore.

Firstly, the way Marvolo treated Merope is one very highly contributing factor. The way he handled her like a peice of filth was an emotional impact upon Merope and made her way of living become a way she was used to. the way a child is raised is the way they will grow up to be. If a child is raised to think like they are the worlds dirt, such as merope, when they are older, they will still feel that way.

Secondly, Merope is another perosn to blame. She used love potions on TR Senior, and loved a muggle. Which would deeply affect Voldys way of thinking about himself and other around him.

Thirdly, TR Senior for leaving Merope while pregnate. Even if he was under the love potions, he should have felt some remorse and love to stay and help raise the child. but no, he was too scared of her LOOKS than anything else and took off. somthing that would have effected voldys thinking again.

Fourth. Dumbledore. i think he is the highest to blame. he told voldy that he was a wizard and that he didnt try and say "no tom i cant just let you walk into Diagon Alley by yourslef" he should have put some law into it. he should have been strict with tom about not letting himself go by himself. another reason is when tom metioned talking to snakes, dumbledore should have known that he was a direcet decendet of Slytherin. He should of put a stop to toms education there. but no he thought nothing of it. then all during school, his friends being called death eaters, and becoming darker and arrogetn over the years. if Dumbledore had at least tried to do somthing, time would be diffrent. like before anyting else could occur, dumbledore could have removed toms memory of all hogwarts events and sent himm back to the orphanage. or even stopped him as he left *** school.

Fifth, voldy himself. he is to blame alot. he did not want to love, remorse, regret, or do anything like other people did. he forced hiim self to be diffrent. he wanted to become somthing more and greater

In my personal oppion, voldy and dumbledore are tied for being blamed for voldemort going bad


Reply With Quote
  #243  
Old August 8th, 2010, 9:13 am
Racket_Man  Male.gif Racket_Man is offline
First Year
 
Joined: 2947 days
Age: 57
Posts: 37
Re: Who is to blame for Voldemort going bad?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salazar360 View Post
1. Merope
2. Marvolo Gaunt
3. Tom Riddle Senior
4. Voldy him self
5. Slughorn
6. Dumbledore.
Quote:
Firstly, the way Marvolo treated Merope is one very highly contributing factor. The way he handled her like a peice of filth was an emotional impact upon Merope and made her way of living become a way she was used to. the way a child is raised is the way they will grow up to be. If a child is raised to think like they are the worlds dirt, such as merope, when they are older, they will still feel that way.
Marvolo having ANY influence on TR/LV is making connection that are just not there. there is a HUGE disconnect for the simple fact that TR never met or interacted with either Merep or Marvolo. TR would not really know what kind of person that either was or about the life they led before he was born.


Quote:
Secondly, Merope is another perosn to blame. She used love potions on TR Senior, and loved a muggle. Which would deeply affect Voldys way of thinking about himself and other around him.
TR/LV never found out about this aspect of his mother's life. From HBP Morfin only tells young TR that his sister, Merope, took off with that handsome Muggle across the valley, but said nothing about a love potion. Morfin could not have known about that since he was in prison and there was no one to tell him. TR/LV really did not have much information (that we are told about in canon) about his Mother OR Father.


Quote:
Thirdly, TR Senior for leaving Merope while pregnate. Even if he was under the love potions, he should have felt some remorse and love to stay and help raise the child. but no, he was too scared of her LOOKS than anything else and took off. somthing that would have effected voldys thinking again.
To a point you are right BUT... as it seems from text that the Riddles are a bit on the upper crust side of society (even for the 1930's) and they have their own set of "rules" to follow. Now while I am not intimately familiar with these "rules", the mere fact that TR JUNIOR (TR Senior was TR Jr's Father) suddenly running off with the "scum" from the other side of the valley, getting married and getting her pergnant was enough to create a huge scandel in the area. we know very little of the actual WHY he left but it is a good bet that coming off of the love potion, he would have been self shocked that HE (for very unknown reasons in his own mind) actually did marry and impregate this "scum commoner". His "waking up" reaction would have been "WHAT THE HECK DID I DO AND WHY DID I DO THIS?????? I never even wanted to look upon her face, much less marry her?????

things like this were just not done between classes, in this case a WIDE seperation of classes.

a love potion produces what can be called a "high infatuation" feeling in the person who has been given the potion. I ti an overpowering sence of "I must spend my time with " Meaning they are not really in their "right mind", not to the level of the Imperious curse but something akin to it. TR Jrs "waking" from the love potion's effect would have been most likely revulsion, disgust, shock, filthy,

Quote:
Fourth. Dumbledore. i think he is the highest to blame. he told voldy that he was a wizard and that he didnt try and say "no tom i cant just let you walk into Diagon Alley by yourslef" he should have put some law into it. he should have been strict with tom about not letting himself go by himself. another reason is when tom metioned talking to snakes, dumbledore should have known that he was a direcet decendet of Slytherin. He should of put a stop to toms education there. but no he thought nothing of it. then all during school, his friends being called death eaters, and becoming darker and arrogetn over the years. if Dumbledore had at least tried to do somthing, time would be diffrent. like before anyting else could occur, dumbledore could have removed toms memory of all hogwarts events and sent himm back to the orphanage. or even stopped him as he left school.
What is so wrong about an 11 year old child being independant???? in my youth (about 40 years ago) I had a wide area that I could be in by myself. me and my friends would be gone the whole day during summer recess and no parent would think twice about it. Now TODAY that is a whole different question.

as for young TR being a Parseltongue it is said that is uncommon ability but not unheard of. this means there are others who possess this ability but it does not mean the person is evil or bad. and just being a direct decendant of Slytherin is not in and of itself make one bad or evil

DD did note however when TR mentioned that he could do "things" and make people do stuff and hurt them. at the time DD may not have been in a position of authority (we do not even know if DD was Deputy Headmaster at the time). He did (I believe) mention to Prof. Dibbitte his concerns but TR managed to "charm" and garner sympathy from the staff by playing up the orphange angle and his good looks. TR also was not really detected or caught in any open wrongdoing throughout his tenure at Hogworts.

We do not know if the Deatheaters were formed and formally named at Hogworts or after. It is mentioned that a small group of boys around TR became the core of the original DE's but from text we are not told if the DE's formally existed during their time at Hogworts.

From TR's time at Hogworts we are told there were some "nasty" happenings such as Mertyle being killed but TR was NOT implicated or ever suspected. TR framed Hagid for that. there are several other bad situation that are implied from HBP that DD "suspected" TR was involved but it was never really proven beyond a reasonable doubt. TR learned to guard his outward apperance very carefully after speaking with DD at the orphanage.

When would DD have been able to perform say an Obliviate spell on TR to remove all memeories of Hogworts. TR, when he left the school, was a "nice" upstanding member of the community. what reason would DD have had to do such a thing without absolute proof???

in HBP, (paraphrasing here) Harry asks DD

"Did you know then??

and DD replies

Meaning did I know that I just met the most evil wizard of our time?? NO but I resolved to keep an eye on him."

Meaning there was nothing DD could really do at the time.


Quote:
Fifth, voldy himself. he is to blame alot. he did not want to love, remorse, regret, or do anything like other people did. he forced hiim self to be diffrent. he wanted to become somthing more and greater
no problems here


In my personal oppion, voldy and dumbledore are tied for being blamed for voldemort going bad[/quote]

you did forget Slughorn. and Slughorn is only guilty of being charmed by TR for "information". TR presented it as an "innocent and curioius" question concerning schoolwork or as TR put it "I came accross this term and I can not find any resources to tell me what this is." It is obvious that TR sort of already "knew" the answer but wanted clarification and a bit more in depth info.


Reply With Quote
  #244  
Old August 8th, 2010, 4:29 pm
boushh's Avatar
boushh  Female.gif boushh is offline
Assistant to Professor Snape
 
Joined: 3575 days
Location: Back in Sev's Corner
Age: 44
Posts: 2,557
Re: Who is to blame for Voldemort going bad?

Quote:
Originally Posted by hollywood1939 View Post
I believe the theme of the series was that Voldemort and Harry had very very similar pasts, it's just which path do you choose. Obviously we all know which path both of them made. But that's the point, you always have a choice. Voldemort chose to go bad, not because of his background, but because he chose to. Harry on the other hand, chose to do good.
I'm sure his background factored into his choices. His choices weren't made in isolation of outside factors. However, I do think there was a history of instability in the Gaunt family and that was a large contributing factor to his way of thinking. If he had experienced help and guidance when he was ayoung child maybe he may have been different. It's tough to say.

Harry was also special and IIRC it is said that it was remarkable that he was in as good shape as he was. He was protected by a powerful spell whose source was love from when he was a baby and Harry also had very different ideas and influences once he got to Hogwarts. So I would argue that he was better equipped to make the right choices.

Ultimately, Voldemort is to blame for his actions, IMO, so I wouldn't blame others for what he did or say that they were more responsible than Voldemort, even if they might bare some responsibility.


Reply With Quote
  #245  
Old August 8th, 2010, 11:26 pm
FleurduJardin  Female.gif FleurduJardin is offline
Banned
 
Joined: 4148 days
Location: Shuttling between Europe & US
Posts: 1,607
Re: Who is to blame for Voldemort going bad?

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeStrangePoem View Post
So IMO I would think if there was something inherently evil about the family it ran through the male lines' veins.
That is a very intriguing notion.

I always did feel sorry for Merope and her sad, tragic life. It was her bad luck, being born into that family, with only two males around her - we don't know how long she knew a mother's love, if she did at all. But you're right, she's not inherently evil, she was just a poor lost young woman looking for happiness.

It's unfair to blame her for Voldemort going bad. He had it in his genes - between his grandfather and his uncle, and way before that. Harry didn't have a happy childhood either, and I dare say Tom Riddle was more comfortable, materially speaking, at the orphanage than Harry was at the Dursleys'. He had a real room, not a closet under the stairs, he wasn't treated as the unpaid help nor yelled at at every opportunity. And yet Harry turned out good, with good values about right and wrong, while Tom Riddle always wanted to have power to bully and dominate people. IMO, the people or things to blame are his family heritage (the male Slytherin/Gaunt line) and his own lust for power and definite sadistic streak.

I wonder, though, where his high intelligence came from. Neither his grandfather nor his uncle were the brightest bulbs in the pack. Did he get it through Salazar Slytherin, the smart gene skipping all those generations? Because between Salazar and Tom, you don't hear about any outstanding Slytherin or Gaunt. They dilapidated their fortune, and they didn't do anything smart that we know of. Then came Tom, with both brains and evil in him. An interesting study in genetics.


Reply With Quote
  #246  
Old August 9th, 2010, 2:34 am
meesha1971's Avatar
meesha1971  Female.gif meesha1971 is offline
Master of the Magical Arts
 
Joined: 4610 days
Location: The Unknowable Room
Age: 46
Posts: 12,731
Re: Who is to blame for Voldemort going bad?

Quote:
Originally Posted by FleurduJardin View Post
That is a very intriguing notion.

I always did feel sorry for Merope and her sad, tragic life. It was her bad luck, being born into that family, with only two males around her - we don't know how long she knew a mother's love, if she did at all. But you're right, she's not inherently evil, she was just a poor lost young woman looking for happiness.

It's unfair to blame her for Voldemort going bad. He had it in his genes - between his grandfather and his uncle, and way before that. Harry didn't have a happy childhood either, and I dare say Tom Riddle was more comfortable, materially speaking, at the orphanage than Harry was at the Dursleys'. He had a real room, not a closet under the stairs, he wasn't treated as the unpaid help nor yelled at at every opportunity. And yet Harry turned out good, with good values about right and wrong, while Tom Riddle always wanted to have power to bully and dominate people. IMO, the people or things to blame are his family heritage (the male Slytherin/Gaunt line) and his own lust for power and definite sadistic streak.

I wonder, though, where his high intelligence came from. Neither his grandfather nor his uncle were the brightest bulbs in the pack. Did he get it through Salazar Slytherin, the smart gene skipping all those generations? Because between Salazar and Tom, you don't hear about any outstanding Slytherin or Gaunt. They dilapidated their fortune, and they didn't do anything smart that we know of. Then came Tom, with both brains and evil in him. An interesting study in genetics.
Well, there is another factor to consider in all that - Tom Riddle Sr. The Riddles weren't described as particularly nice people either. Arrogance, pride, seeing themselves as superior to others - sound familiar?

Voldemort's genetics came from both the Slytherin/Gaunt line and the Riddle line. Years of inbreeding had done a lot of damage to the Slytherin/Gaunt line - as is evident with both Morfin and Merope's physical appearance and mental instability. Tom Riddle Sr. - to put it clinically - was an infusion of fresh DNA and that made a difference for Tom Marvolo Riddle. He was as handsome as his father with none of the physical defects apparent in Morfin and Merope and he had a higher level of intelligence. But the mental instability is still there - not as severe as what we see with Morfin and Merope, but still there. His father and grandfather had similar personalities and Voldemort seems to have gotten the worst from both of them.


__________________

Reform must come from within, not from without. ~ James Cardinal Gibbons

"So, if people want information on my characters, then they have to accept that I'm going to give them the information on the characters. And if they don't like it, that's the nature of fiction. You have to accept someone else's world because they made that world, so they probably know a little better than you do what goes on there." ~ J.K. Rowling


All posts are my opinions and interpretations based on reading the Harry Potter books and interviews with J.K. Rowling.

Reply With Quote
  #247  
Old August 9th, 2010, 5:29 am
MasterOfDeath's Avatar
MasterOfDeath  Male.gif MasterOfDeath is offline
Zonko's Employee
 
Joined: 3756 days
Age: 29
Posts: 3,145
Re: Who is to blame for Voldemort going bad?

Yeah, I always saw it as Salazar Slytherin's genes being jumpstarted again by fresh DNA from Tom Riddle Sr's line. The fresh blood would in someway break the in-breeding and allow Tom Riddle Jr to have the intelligence, wit and power of the original Slytherin gene before it became dilluted through in-breeding. But as Meesha says, the mental instability is still there.

Another factor I noticed recently while re-reading the second to last chapter of COS is Tom Riddle Jr's feeling of abadenment from his father. I think this really drove a lot of his rage and hatred. Tom Riddle Sr leaving a pregnant Merope who had hookwinked him into marrying her and having relations with her and Merope sucumbing to death in childbirth because of heart-break and not fighting on for her son rendering Riddle an orphan is certaintly a factor in why he became what he did.

Ultimately though, Voldemort is a result of in-breeding to retain purity. Marvolo and Morfin mistreated Merope because of their mental insability and prejudices which led to her running away and tricking Tom Riddle to love her and giving birth to Riddle. it all comes back to the mental instability that comes out of in-breeding.

A major theme of the series is the evils of racism, ehtnic-cleansing and purity of blood. Tom Riddle Jr. as a person and the dark lord he grew to become was a product of all of the above.


__________________
"I wrote this for me, you know. I never wrote this with a focus group of children in mind. I wrote it totally for me and I'm an adult so maybe it's not so surprising."
JK Rowling on Adults liking Harry Potter; 1999

Hufflepuff through and through! On COS and Pottermore!
Fair, Just, Loyal and unafraid of Toil


Last edited by MasterOfDeath; August 10th, 2010 at 2:23 am.
Reply With Quote
  #248  
Old August 9th, 2010, 6:08 am
GingerCat1  Undisclosed.gif GingerCat1 is offline
Seventh Year
 
Joined: 2809 days
Posts: 1,656
Re: Who is to blame for Voldemort going bad?

I've always thought of Tom Riddle as a born psychopath (which does happen) as it is one of the only explainations for Tom being such a cruel and almost evil person when he was just 11 years old. No matter how he grew up he was always going to be someone capable of unspeakable acts of evil.


Reply With Quote
  #249  
Old August 9th, 2010, 8:27 am
LeStrangePoem  Female.gif LeStrangePoem is offline
First Year
 
Joined: 2673 days
Location: New Zealand
Posts: 36
Re: Who is to blame for Voldemort going bad?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterOfDeath View Post
Another factor I noticed recently while re-reading the second to last chapter of COS is Tom Riddle Jr's feeling of abadenment from his father. I think this really drove a lot of his rage and hatred. Tom Riddle Sr leaving a pregnant Merope who had hookwinked him into marrying her and having relations with her and Merope sucumbing to death in childbirth because of heart-break and not fighting on for her son rendering Riddle an orphan is certaintly a factor in why he became what he did.
Its funny because just the other day when I saw this thread my original thoughts were, "Why couldn't you [Tom Riddle Snr] just stay with Merope for the sake of your unborn baby?!!! Who cares about the love potion and her looks." I know that would not have been realistic and it was more of a joke but it was just a thought.


Reply With Quote
  #250  
Old August 9th, 2010, 1:15 pm
wolfbrother  Male.gif wolfbrother is offline
Sixth Year
 
Joined: 3521 days
Age: 28
Posts: 1,245
Re: Who is to blame for Voldemort going bad?

I've read somewhere that insanity and extreme intelligence has some sort of link. IMO this was Tom Riddle's case. He had all the mental instabilities of the Gaunts but his intelligence masked all of it. His intelligence is also what allowed him to become the worst Dark Lord of all.


Reply With Quote
  #251  
Old August 9th, 2010, 2:09 pm
meesha1971's Avatar
meesha1971  Female.gif meesha1971 is offline
Master of the Magical Arts
 
Joined: 4610 days
Location: The Unknowable Room
Age: 46
Posts: 12,731
Re: Who is to blame for Voldemort going bad?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterOfDeath View Post
Yeah, I always saw it as Salazar Slytherin's genes being jumpstarted again by fresh DNA from Tom Riddle Sr's line. The fresh blood would in someway break the in-breeding and allow Tom Riddle Jr to have the intelligence, wit and power of the original Slytherin gene before it became dilluted through in-breeding. But as Meesha says, the mental instability is still there.
I don't think the mental instability stopped them from being powerful - we see that Morfin is pretty powerful when he attacks Bob Ogden and when Marvolo and Morfin went after him, he ran to get help from the Ministry to arrest them. I think Dumbledore was right in his speculation that Merope's fear of her father hindered her magical ability - and she was likely depressed about her life even then so that would be a factor as well. With her father and brother in Azkaban, both would have lifted - she was free to pursue the muggle she had fallen in love with and was able to use her magical powers to bewitch him. Again, I think Dumbledore was right in his speculation that she decided to stop giving him love potion - or whatever she had done to bewitch him - because she hoped he would have come to love her freely rather than Riddle overcoming it because she was weak magically.

Quote:
Another factor I noticed recently while re-reading the second to last chapter of COS is Tom Riddle Jr's feeling of abadenment from his father. I think this really drove a lot of his rage and hatred. Tom Riddle Sr leaving a pregnant Merope who had hookwinked him into marrying her and having relations with her and Merope sucumbing to death in childbirth because of heart-break and not fighting on for her son rendering Riddle an orphan is certaintly a factor in why he became what he did.
That was true from the point that he realized that his father was a muggle - his reaction to Morfin revealing that his father was a muggle in the village was very telling. But he had issues with his mother dying long before that. As we see in HBP, when Dumbledore told Riddle that he was a wizard, he decided that his father must have been a wizard because his mother couldn't have been a witch or she wouldn't have died. Even at the age of 10/11, Riddle viewed succumbing to death as a weakness - something to be ashamed of. It took around 5 years for him to accept that his mother was a witch and start looking into her family.

Up to that point, Riddle had been clinging desperately to the idea that his father was a wizard and was almost obsessed with discovering who he was and disregarded his mother completely. It's common for children in situations like this to fantasize about their parents - or other relatives if both parents are dead - in their struggle to figure out who they are and where they came from. We see that with Harry - he fantasized about some "unknown relation" coming to rescue him from the Dursleys as child. It seems likely that Riddle had spent his childhood fantasizing about his father showing up one day to take him away from the orphanage with his early fantasies probably being similar to what Tom Riddle Sr. actually was - a wealthy, influential man. Upon finding out that he was a wizard, that likely changed to fantasies of his father being a powerful wizard who hadn't known about his son being stuck in a muggle orphanage and he seems to have transferred that fantasy to Marvolo Gaunt after he finally accepted that his mother was a witch and discovered the connection to Slytherin.

At that point, I think Voldemort became disillusioned with both of his parents. As he saw it, his father was an "unworthy" muggle who had abandoned his wife and child after finding out Merope was a witch and his mother was weak because she had succumbed to death. He was very disappointed when he finally tracked down Morfin Gaunt, but still proud of the fact that he descended from Slytherin because he felt it set him apart and made him special - particularly being the last in that line.

Quote:
Ultimately though, Voldemort is a result of in-breeding to retain purity. Marvolo and Morfin mistreated Merope because of their mental insability and prejudices which led to her running away and tricking Tom Riddle to love her and giving birth to Riddle. it all comes back to the mental instability that comes out of in-breeding.

A major theme of the series is the evils of racism, ehtnic-cleaning and purity of blood. Tom Riddle Jr. as a person and the dark lord he grew to become was a product of all of the above.
Exactly.


__________________

Reform must come from within, not from without. ~ James Cardinal Gibbons

"So, if people want information on my characters, then they have to accept that I'm going to give them the information on the characters. And if they don't like it, that's the nature of fiction. You have to accept someone else's world because they made that world, so they probably know a little better than you do what goes on there." ~ J.K. Rowling


All posts are my opinions and interpretations based on reading the Harry Potter books and interviews with J.K. Rowling.

Reply With Quote
  #252  
Old August 9th, 2010, 3:51 pm
flimseycauldron's Avatar
flimseycauldron  Female.gif flimseycauldron is offline
Zonko's Employee
 
Joined: 3927 days
Location: New England
Posts: 3,553
Re: Who is to blame for Voldemort going bad?

Quote:
Originally Posted by meesha1971 View Post
He was very disappointed when he finally tracked down Morfin Gaunt, but still proud of the fact that he descended from Slytherin because he felt it set him apart and made him special - particularly being the last in that line.

I agree with almost everything else but I did want to chime in on this. I think Tom Riddle was only disappointed that Morfin hadn't lived up to his potential. And he most likely would have blamed muggles and mudbloods for the sad state Morfin was in rather than holding Morfin responsible for his own actions. I don't think that Tom Riddle realized how crazy Morfin actually was because Tom was crazy himself. In fact, I could see Tom Riddle actually approving of inbreeding as a method for keeping the Slytherin line pure. In fact we see that Tom Riddle's need to defy death means that he doesn't even see a need to have progeny. So he is more likely to look at childbearing through a very fine analytical lense than a biological one. Which is why he probably never even took a a look at Bellatrix even though she was archetype of his pureblood vision, despite her adoration of him.


__________________
Reply With Quote
  #253  
Old August 9th, 2010, 4:03 pm
lightreading  Female.gif lightreading is offline
Fourth Year
 
Joined: 2729 days
Location: USA
Posts: 512
Re: Who is to blame for Voldemort going bad?

Personally I blame his father. I don't think we can blame his mother--she was in such a horrible situation that I can't possibly blame her. Anyway, we could always just blame the genes....but mostly I think it's Voldemort himself. After all, Harry grew up in a place worse than Voldemort did, but did he turn out the same way?


__________________


"And Mary and Joseph went to Bethlehem, and Mary, who was great with child, rode a donkey, except the donkey actually ran away during rehearsals....so she in fact arrived on a small, motorized lawnmower."
Reply With Quote
  #254  
Old August 9th, 2010, 4:17 pm
kikiann11  Female.gif kikiann11 is offline
First Year
 
Joined: 2708 days
Location: Hogsmeade
Posts: 49
Re: Who is to blame for Voldemort going bad?

I think that his father is to blame for ditching his wife and son, but Merope wasn't to blame bacause of her horrible situation. I also think that the orphanage was to blame because they did not give Tom love and support. But, I think that Voldemort is mostly to blame for what he did because of the choices he made in life.


__________________
I found the source of the ticking! It's a pipe bomb!
Yay!

Meep!

Proud Ravenclaw
Reply With Quote
  #255  
Old August 9th, 2010, 4:33 pm
LilyDreamsOn's Avatar
LilyDreamsOn  Female.gif LilyDreamsOn is offline
Ordo Lebes
 
Joined: 3743 days
Location: Godric's Hollow
Posts: 1,029
Re: Who is to blame for Voldemort going bad?

I think Voldemort is to blame. Whatever bad influence his parents' fake love had on him, he still could have chosen a better path. He had a bad childhood, understandably, but so did Harry. A lot of people come from bad homes and grow up to be better than the people who mistreated them. I think it explains some of his behaviour but I don't think it excuses any of it. His choices were still all his. He was a psychopath.


__________________


Believe me. I never betrayed James and Lily. I would have died before I betrayed them.
Reply With Quote
  #256  
Old August 9th, 2010, 9:28 pm
wolfbrother  Male.gif wolfbrother is offline
Sixth Year
 
Joined: 3521 days
Age: 28
Posts: 1,245
Re: Who is to blame for Voldemort going bad?

Quote:
Originally Posted by kikiann11 View Post
I think that his father is to blame for ditching his wife and son, but Merope wasn't to blame bacause of her horrible situation. I also think that the orphanage was to blame because they did not give Tom love and support. But, I think that Voldemort is mostly to blame for what he did because of the choices he made in life.
Why is Merope excused because of her horrible situation while Voldemort is not?

I don't blame his father for ditching his wife and son. Riddle Sr was hoodwinked into marrying Merope and tricked into getting her pregnant. He wasn't someone who went after her, knocked her up and left her.

I don't blame Merope for what she did either. She had a screwed up childhood and she didn't seem right in the head (applies for all the Gaunts IMO). Voldemort, to me, is also a similiar case. If he wasn't so intelligent, he'd have ended up like crazy Morfin.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LilyDreamsOn
I think Voldemort is to blame. Whatever bad influence his parents' fake love had on him, he still could have chosen a better path. He had a bad childhood, understandably, but so did Harry. A lot of people come from bad homes and grow up to be better than the people who mistreated them. I think it explains some of his behaviour but I don't think it excuses any of it. His choices were still all his. He was a psychopath.
Psychopathy is mental condition though. It also has genetic links. I wouldn't blame Voldemort for inheriting it.

In fact IMO he had a better excuse than people like Bellatrix, Crouch Jr, Snape (when he was a death eater) and even Dumbledore himself when he was a kid.


Reply With Quote
  #257  
Old August 9th, 2010, 10:49 pm
mrfutterman  Undisclosed.gif mrfutterman is offline
Fifth Year
 
Joined: 3846 days
Posts: 968
Re: Who is to blame for Voldemort going bad?

The author.

She needed a villain and gave this kid all the baggage necessary: lousy genetic inheritance (which undercuts the theme of choice); absent parents; neglected upbringing.


Reply With Quote
  #258  
Old August 10th, 2010, 1:24 am
LewsTherin's Avatar
LewsTherin  Male.gif LewsTherin is offline
Sixth Year
 
Joined: 5607 days
Location: Pretoria, South Africa
Age: 36
Posts: 1,055
Re: Who is to blame for Voldemort going bad?

I think Voldy never forgave his mother for putting him in that orphanage (as he saw it). That bitterness and resentment turned into a hatred of weakness, which turned into a lust for power. So, he was at fault, for refusing to forgive. Unforgiveness is the cause of an awful lot the world's ills.


Reply With Quote
  #259  
Old August 10th, 2010, 1:44 am
meesha1971's Avatar
meesha1971  Female.gif meesha1971 is offline
Master of the Magical Arts
 
Joined: 4610 days
Location: The Unknowable Room
Age: 46
Posts: 12,731
Re: Who is to blame for Voldemort going bad?

Quote:
Originally Posted by flimseycauldron View Post
I agree with almost everything else but I did want to chime in on this. I think Tom Riddle was only disappointed that Morfin hadn't lived up to his potential. And he most likely would have blamed muggles and mudbloods for the sad state Morfin was in rather than holding Morfin responsible for his own actions. I don't think that Tom Riddle realized how crazy Morfin actually was because Tom was crazy himself. In fact, I could see Tom Riddle actually approving of inbreeding as a method for keeping the Slytherin line pure. In fact we see that Tom Riddle's need to defy death means that he doesn't even see a need to have progeny. So he is more likely to look at childbearing through a very fine analytical lense than a biological one. Which is why he probably never even took a a look at Bellatrix even though she was archetype of his pureblood vision, despite her adoration of him.
Oh, I agree. That was what I meant actually. When he finally accepted that his mother had been a witch and discovered that he was descended from Slytherin, he was probably expecting the Gaunts to be more prominent or affluent than they actually were. Meeting Morfin and seeing how he was living in that hovel of a shack was a disappointment to him. Whether or not he realized Morfin was mentally unstable is debatable, but I think he would have - at the very least - considered Morfin to be of inferior intelligence with the way he was behaving. He got Riddle mixed up with his father and seemed confused about everything.

I think Voldemort took a more practical view about blood status than he let on to the Death Eaters. Jo stated that the reason Voldemort gave Lily a choice to live was because he wanted her to join him - and that was part of the "thrice defied" aspect of the prophecy as well because Voldemort had been trying to get Lily and James to join him even before the prophecy was made. So we know that Voldemort acknowledged that Lily was a powerful witch in spite of being muggleborn and wanted her on his side. He adopted the pure-blood ideology as part of his regime to garner the support of people like the Malfoys and Bellatrix, but he didn't really seem to believe in that himself. Being half-blood himself and having met Morfin, I think Voldemort realized that the purity of blood really didn't matter in terms of magical ability or power.

Given his intelligence and desire to learn as much as he could and push the boundaries of magic as far as he could, I think Voldemort was one who would do his research and likely knew that muggleborns didn't just pop up randomly, but rather had at least one magical ancestor in their family tree and that there really weren't any truly pure-blood families left in the wizarding world. While he probably did feel that breeding was important, I think it's more likely that he looked at it from the perspective of power and intelligence rather than whether or not they were pure-bloods. He didn't have any wish to have children himself - his goal was to attain immortality and I think he felt that being the last descendant of Salazar Slytherin made him special.


__________________

Reform must come from within, not from without. ~ James Cardinal Gibbons

"So, if people want information on my characters, then they have to accept that I'm going to give them the information on the characters. And if they don't like it, that's the nature of fiction. You have to accept someone else's world because they made that world, so they probably know a little better than you do what goes on there." ~ J.K. Rowling


All posts are my opinions and interpretations based on reading the Harry Potter books and interviews with J.K. Rowling.

Reply With Quote
  #260  
Old August 10th, 2010, 1:45 am
LilyDreamsOn's Avatar
LilyDreamsOn  Female.gif LilyDreamsOn is offline
Ordo Lebes
 
Joined: 3743 days
Location: Godric's Hollow
Posts: 1,029
Re: Who is to blame for Voldemort going bad?

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfbrother View Post
Psychopathy is mental condition though. It also has genetic links. I wouldn't blame Voldemort for inheriting it.
We can't blame him for any condition he has from birth, but in the same vein we can't blame others for it either. We can blame Voldemort for his choices and actions, though. Not all psychopaths become mass-murderers. He was perfectly conscious of what he was doing.


__________________


Believe me. I never betrayed James and Lily. I would have died before I betrayed them.
Reply With Quote
Reply
Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > Harry Potter > The Cloak

Bookmarks

Tags
dada, dippet


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 12:01 pm.


Powered by: vBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Original content is Copyright MMII - MMVIII, CoSForums.com. All Rights Reserved.
Other content (posts, images, etc) is Copyright its respective owners.