Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > Harry Potter > The Cloak

Who is to blame for Voldemort going bad?

Old July 13th, 2010, 4:07 am
Second Year

Re: Who is to blame for Voldemort going bad?

Voldemort himself. Voldemort just wasn't a nice guy from the start. Of course, I'm sure other things affected him. I think it was because of his parents, and the orphanage. He didn't enjoy the orphanage, and he wasn't happy with his parents. He wasn't the nicest guy, which made him think if he wasn't a pure-blood, he wasn't pure, which was his parent's fault, you could say. Many things indeed.

"It's lucky it's dark. I haven't blushed so much since Madame Pomfrey told me she liked my new earmuffs."
Sponsored Links
Old July 13th, 2010, 4:25 am
First Year

I read somewhere that according to JK Rowling, Tom Riddle couldn't feel love because his mother used a love potion to trick a man to conceiving him. So if that's true, then it means he was screwed from the very beginning. It makes me think though, TR mom couldn't be the only person in the world that has done this. I'm wondering about all the other children made because of love potions out there that just never develop empathy or love and how they became.

Old July 13th, 2010, 4:29 am
Second Year

Huh, I've never heard that before. Interesting...Well, if that is true, it's technically Merope's fault. It all makes sense. At the end of the series, Voldemort shows no remorse, even though Harry presses him to. Although, I doubt he would anyway.

"It's lucky it's dark. I haven't blushed so much since Madame Pomfrey told me she liked my new earmuffs."
Old July 13th, 2010, 8:49 pm
Third Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by mybunnysuit View Post
I read somewhere that according to JK Rowling, Tom Riddle couldn't feel love because his mother used a love potion to trick a man to conceiving him. So if that's true, then it means he was screwed from the very beginning. It makes me think though, TR mom couldn't be the only person in the world that has done this. I'm wondering about all the other children made because of love potions out there that just never develop empathy or love and how they became.
I've wondered this, too. Voldemort couldn't have been the only one, could he? Or maybe it was because Merope used in on a Muggle? Perhaps before it was used between witches and wizards only? Could a love potion affect a Muggle differently?

Old July 14th, 2010, 6:12 am
First Year

It was the combination of the love potion and his family's beliefs. However, he was the heir of Slytherin and I don't think much could of changed the path that he was destined to follow...

Old July 24th, 2010, 9:58 pm
First Year

I believe it was meropes AND TR's fault

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace"-Jimi Hendrix

"The hardest thing in this world is to live in it"-Buffy the Vampire Slayer

"Happiness can be found, even in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light"-Albus Dumbledore-Best headmaster Hogwarts has ever seen

SEVERUS SNAPE-THE BRAVEST MAN IN THE WORLD.

Proud Slytherin
Old July 24th, 2010, 10:24 pm
First Year

There are a lot of factors that went into Voldemort being who is was, I think. His mother's use of a love potion, and his father's abandonment of him. Also, growing up in an orphanage, being the heir of slytherin, having no friends, etc. It's really his fault he turned out so badly though, but I think those things magnified it.

"We walk proud, and we talk tough.
We've got heart, and we've got nerve...even if we are a bit disturbed"
Old July 25th, 2010, 12:06 am
First Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan_the_Man View Post
Voldemort himself. Voldemort just wasn't a nice guy from the start. Of course, I'm sure other things affected him. I think it was because of his parents, and the orphanage. He didn't enjoy the orphanage, and he wasn't happy with his parents. He wasn't the nicest guy, which made him think if he wasn't a pure-blood, he wasn't pure, which was his parent's fault, you could say. Many things indeed.
I completely agree. I know he had a horrible life but, he made certian choices on his own accord. He could have chose to do things different but, he let hurt and pain get in the way.

Old July 25th, 2010, 3:09 pm
First Year

LV's downfall reminds me that of Sauron's in LOTR. Both fell because of a supposedly secret "little detail" that was crucial to their survival (Horcruxes, the Ring). They didn' t pay attention to that detail but judged everyone' s moves using only one criterion: will for power.

So, LV' s downfall was LV' s fault. Whatever their enemies did, he had the chance to destroy good for ever but he didn' t.

Old July 25th, 2010, 6:05 pm
First Year

When parents fail, the kids fail. However, that doesn't strip anyone of taking responsibility for their actions. The whole "I had a terrible childhood, so I'm taking it out on the world" cliché, is a pathetic cop-out.

Old August 3rd, 2010, 9:52 pm
Fifth Year

Does anyone have top blame for him going bad? People who aren't given morals to go on will do what they see fit for the situation. Like a young child, if you don't teach them right from wrong they begin to continue doing 'bad' things because they don't know any better. Added to that is the fact that sometimes being bad is more satisfying, and one gains more physically from being bad, whereas being good often gives morality, and mental satisfaction. When introduced to mgic, Tom saw an oppertunity to grow in evil. Being given and taught new and powerful ways to do things that he did at the orphanage, would be something of beauty for Tom. Depending on why Tom was put in the orphanage, it would be unfair to blame the parents. Some people who grow up under bad conditions have come out in a good way. So in effect, Tom is to blame for his own going bad. Or maybe he just passed his expiry date.

Old August 4th, 2010, 5:43 am
First Year

Not everyone who's parents ditched him or the parent dies goes on a killing spree. There is a time when you grow up. No one to blame here but himself.

Old August 4th, 2010, 5:57 am
Professor Snape's Most Favored House Elf

Ultimately, he is. While his childhood was extremely tragic, losing his mother right after he was born and living in an orphanage, it wasn't that different from Harry's. The orphanage couldn't have been much worse than living in a cupboard under the stairs.

He saw the difference in good and evil, and chose evil over good in a search for power.

In the movie "Tombstone," there's and exchange between Doc Holiday and Wyatt Earp about the Outlaw, Johnny Ringo:

Wyatt Earp: What makes a man like Ringo, Doc? What makes him do the things he does?
Doc Holliday: A man like Ringo has got a great big hole, right in the middle of him. He can never kill enough, or steal enough, or inflict enough pain to ever fill it.
Wyatt Earp: What does he need?
Doc Holliday: Revenge.
Wyatt Earp: For what?
Doc Holliday: Bein' born

This, I think, is also applicable to Tom Riddle/Lord Voldemort.

I held you in my arms, although I knew that death
Had already taken you. I held you close, hoping for a faint heartbeat or breath
To prove me wrong.
But, you were still, and could not hear or see
My grief, my tears, my heartbreak knowing that the rest of my life would be
Spent without you.
Old August 4th, 2010, 6:07 am
Secret Chocolate Keeper

His father had a little to do with it, but only in the sense that he abandoned Tom's mother, which probably planted that notion of hatred in Tom Riddle Jr.'s head, but, despite that, you still make your own choices. In his mind, he probably would blame is father for the way he had become and how he grew to hate "muggles", because of how he was towards his mother, but one still makes their own choices. He made them, so in short, the one to blame for Voldemort going bad is Voldemort himself, no matter how much he wants to blame the Riddle family for it or probably blamed for it.

Old August 5th, 2010, 10:52 am
Sixth Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by hollywood1939 View Post
Not everyone who's parents ditched him or the parent dies goes on a killing spree. There is a time when you grow up. No one to blame here but himself.
Voldemort's case is not just his parents ditching him. He had a lot more going against him. That doesn't excuse his actions but he himself is not entirely to blame either IMO. Dumbledore noticed from the very first meeting that Riddle was different. He probably should have done something about it although I think it was already too late. The orphanage people should have spotted it when he was very young though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSJ_Jup81
His father had a little to do with it, but only in the sense that he abandoned Tom's mother, which probably planted that notion of hatred in Tom Riddle Jr.'s head, but, despite that, you still make your own choices. In his mind, he probably would blame is father for the way he had become and how he grew to hate "muggles", because of how he was towards his mother, but one still makes their own choices. He made them, so in short, the one to blame for Voldemort going bad is Voldemort himself, no matter how much he wants to blame the Riddle family for it or probably blamed for it.
The Riddles were an unpleasant lot though. Nobody seemed to like them in their village. Nobody even mourned them.

I'm not sure Voldemort hated muggles especially. IMO he didn't put any significance on anyone be in muggle, half blood or pure blood. It seems to me that it was just propaganda from him. The only person he answered to was himself and everybody else was dirt to him.

I don't think he blamed anyone for what he became either. I don't think he had a "reason" for doing what he did.

Old August 6th, 2010, 3:03 pm
First Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by phoenix713 View Post
Agreed. People being responsible for their decisions and actions is one of the major themes in the series.
Definitely, we see that in many cases. JKR doesn't by in to the whole "I had a bad childhood, that's why I became who I am" Voldemort seems to use his father's abandonment of his mother as his reason, but it's clear he's responsible for his own choices

Old August 6th, 2010, 4:49 pm
First Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfbrother View Post
Voldemort's case is not just his parents ditching him. He had a lot more going against him. That doesn't excuse his actions but he himself is not entirely to blame either IMO. Dumbledore noticed from the very first meeting that Riddle was different. He probably should have done something about it although I think it was already too late. The orphanage people should have spotted it when he was very young though.
I believe the theme of the series was that Voldemort and Harry had very very similar pasts, it's just which path do you choose. Obviously we all know which path both of them made. But that's the point, you always have a choice. Voldemort chose to go bad, not because of his background, but because he chose to. Harry on the other hand, chose to do good.

Old August 6th, 2010, 5:21 pm
First Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sly_Lady View Post
It's Voldemort's fault.
His choices to go EVIL!!! But partly Marvolo Gaunt, he had the evil blood running through the family!!! Through his daughter, into her son. And Dumbledore a little bit. If he hadn't been introduced into the Wizarding world, then he woudln't know the spells "Avada Kedavra!" and start to actually murder people. and just plain hurt them, but he did that when he was little too!

"You foul, loathsome, evil, COCKROACH!!!" ~Hermione Granger, Prisoner of Azkaban

:indy:Abby:indy:
Very proud GRYFFINDOR!
Old August 6th, 2010, 8:47 pm
Sixth Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by hollywood1939 View Post
I believe the theme of the series was that Voldemort and Harry had very very similar pasts, it's just which path do you choose. Obviously we all know which path both of them made. But that's the point, you always have a choice. Voldemort chose to go bad, not because of his background, but because he chose to. Harry on the other hand, chose to do good.
The similarities that Harry and Voldemort had were that they were both half-blood, were orphans and had a bad childhood. Other than that their cases were completely different.

Old August 6th, 2010, 10:49 pm
First Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfbrother View Post
The similarities that Harry and Voldemort had were that they were both half-blood, were orphans and had a bad childhood. Other than that their cases were completely different.
But you see all that right there could turn anyone resentful of everything and everyone around him. But Harry chose not to. He was also known to every wizard in the world. He could have had a huge ego and that could have turned bad. But again, he chose not to. When he found out he was a wizard, he was humble about it. Voldemort was very different. His ego inflated even more knowing why he could control people. But, like in the end of Book 7, where Harry gave him a chance for remorse, he chose not to go that way. That's why I'm saying that it's up to choice.

Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > Harry Potter > The Cloak