Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > Diagon Alley > The Language Lab

Dubbing in movies

Old January 13th, 2011, 2:08 am
The Dark Lord's Faithful Servant

Re: Dubbing in movies

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cox View Post
Thanks
Anyway I watched the 2nd episode yesterday and I think I'm starting to getting used to it.
It remains quite difficult to follow anyway, I guess it will take me a lot of practice.
Sorry Pox Voldius but where are you from? I thought you were american but it's a little bit early in the morning in the USA now...
EDIT. Um, well, I checked and it's 9 am in New York, that's not as early as I thought...so where are you from?
Sure! (And sorry if I was being a little vague in my answers above -- I was just trying not to stray into territory that might be considered restricted to the US Political Discussion forum!)

I'm in Iowa (which is near the middle of the continental US) -- not originally from here, but residing here at present. It was 7:12am here when I made my last post in this thread -- just before I had to leave for work. (Employers around here are a little too fond of early mornings. )

May I ask which TV series you're watching?

Last edited by Pox Voldius; January 13th, 2011 at 2:11 am.
Sponsored Links
Old January 13th, 2011, 2:15 am
The Next Great Adventurer

Sounds a lot like The Wire.

A patriot is someone who wants the best for his country, including the best laws and the best ideals. It's something other people should call you -- you shouldn't call yourself that. People who call themselves patriots are usually liars. -- Donald Woods

You got what anybody gets . . . You got a lifetime. -- Death of the Endless
Old January 13th, 2011, 9:34 am
First Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wab View Post
Yes it is, mate! I just finished watching The Shield a couple of weeks ago, and somebody said me that The Wire was as cool as it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pox Voldius View Post
I'm in Iowa (which is near the middle of the continental US) -- not originally from here, but residing here at present. It was 7:12am here when I made my last post in this thread -- just before I had to leave for work. (Employers around here are a little too fond of early mornings. )
Oh Iowa! Where the private Ryan come from. And that's aaaall I know about it.
So, did you moved there for work?
I used to do the same thing as you, a quick post in the morning, between breakfast and work, and then another one in the evening, often before going to bed.
Ah, the good ol' days. Sigh, sob.
And don't worry, I'm not interested in political discussions of any kind.
('cause you're not one of those guys that wear camo trousers, holding a big rifle in one hand and a confederate flag in the other, aren't you?)
Oh, now I see that you're a girl, lol. Sorry for my myopia.

Old January 13th, 2011, 1:15 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wab View Post
Quote:
Yes it is, mate! I just finished watching The Shield a couple of weeks ago, and somebody said me that The Wire was as cool as it.
Ah-ha, okay. Not one I've watched -- I didn't have cable during its original run on TV. I may have to go find it on DVD or the Internet...

Quote:
Oh Iowa! Where the private Ryan come from. And that's aaaall I know about it.
So, did you moved there for work?
I used to do the same thing as you, a quick post in the morning, between breakfast and work, and then another one in the evening, often before going to bed.
Ah, the good ol' days. Sigh, sob.
And don't worry, I'm not interested in political discussions of any kind.
('cause you're not one of those guys that wear camo trousers, holding a big rifle in one hand and a confederate flag in the other, aren't you?)
Oh, now I see that you're a girl, lol. Sorry for my myopia.
There's not much to know about Iowa. It's a "fly-over state". We've got cows and beans and corn. ...And the Field of Dreams. (And some people that say "wORsh" for "wash", if you've ever heard that accent. )

I moved back here from Los Angeles when the economy started to crash. I have some family here.

Old January 13th, 2011, 3:47 pm
First Year

Did you moved there from Los Angeles? I can figure the opposite but this is crazy, girl!
I love L.A., not mention that the people there have the best american accent I ever heard, at least to my ears, it's like, you know, how I think english should sound before I actually hear a native speaking.
Well the earthquakes are not that cool, though. But I love the sea and the beaches, and having 19°C in winter like some days ago *__* while it was -3°C in New York.
I knew the thing of the fly-over states, lol.

Old August 28th, 2011, 2:11 am
Registered Animagus

I have the most experience watching anime overdubbed. If I have the choice I prefer subtitles.
The 'Earthsea' anime was weird... Willem Dafoe voiced a woman.

I find the overdubbed Chamber of Secrets hilarious. Hermione kind of sighed flirtily in Spanish. Heehehe.

Old August 28th, 2011, 12:01 pm
Second Year

I'm glad that we subtitle basically everything here in Holland.
Not only do I prefer the original voices (come on, can you imagine Alan Rickman with any other voice?), I also think it really helped improve my English, because we've been exposed to the English language since we were kids. You just kind of grow up with it.
(A couple of years ago I started using the English subtitles on DVDs, which helped making me understand the language even better.)

Kids movies are dubbed though, but you can also watch the original version in the movie theater, so you've got a choice. And when I was a kid and learned how to read, learning to read subtitles is just a part of that.

Wand: Larch, Unicorn Core, 10 3/4, Slightly Yielding
Old August 28th, 2011, 12:19 pm
First Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nielo View Post
Not only do I prefer the original voices (come on, can you imagine Alan Rickman with any other voice?), I also think it really helped improve my English, because we've been exposed to the English language since we were kids. You just kind of grow up with it.
(A couple of years ago I started using the English subtitles on DVDs, which helped making me understand the language even better.)

Kids movies are dubbed though, but you can also watch the original version in the movie theater, so you've got a choice. And when I was a kid and learned how to read, learning to read subtitles is just a part of that.
I agree with you, they mostly use subtitles in my country too.
I like it, because of the reasons you mentioned - original voices, improving english, and because of another reason - when you're at home, wathcing a movie, you don't have any problems watching it even if your mom/dad/brother/sister talk, fight, talk on the phone, listen music...

Yes, kids movies are dubbed too... And sometimes it's really hard to find the original version in the theaters.

Old August 28th, 2011, 12:26 pm
Second Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhaenys View Post
I agree with you, they mostly use subtitles in my country too.
I like it, because of the reasons you mentioned - original voices, improving english, and because of another reason - when you're at home, wathcing a movie, you don't have any problems watching it even if your mom/dad/brother/sister talk, fight, talk on the phone, listen music...

Yes, kids movies are dubbed too... And sometimes it's really hard to find the original version in the theaters.
Oh yes, that's a very good point too! (It's worth turning the subtitles on a DVD on just for that.)

Old August 28th, 2011, 12:47 pm
First Year

I think that I actually prefer the Harry Potter films dubbed in European Spanish. The voice actors they use are really talented, especially the kids. Also Dumbledore sounds more like Dumbledore as I imagine him (calm, wise, friendly. Gambon's overexcited "Irish" Dumbledore doesn't really work for me). Also, in the Spanish dubbed version Dumbledore has the same voice throughout all 8 movies - unlike in the original English of course. I also like Spanish Snape better than the English one (sorry Alan Rickman!) - except for the last movie. Did they use a different voice actor in the last movie, does anyone know? He sounds nothing like Spanish Snape from movies 1-7.....

It's obvious what this means. There's going to be loads of fog tonight.
Old August 28th, 2011, 2:37 pm
Sixth Year

I'm afraid I have to disagree with you, Sphereness... I HATE the Spanish dubbing for Harry Potter, especially the kids

For those who don't know, in Spain everything is dubbed, and there is virtually no chance of watching a movie in original version unless you live in Madrid or Barcelona (well, you can wait for the DVD). The dubbing is usually quite good, but, personally, since I tried the OV, I've always preferred it to the dubbed one. Now I'm trying with TV, thanks to the TDT, and though American series are a bit tough sometimes, I manage quite well with British ones.

An anecdote: Can you imagine the shock when you go to the theatre to watch a Calderón play and suddenly you hear Bruce Willis speaking in verse? Of course, it wasn't Bruce Willis, but the actor who usually dubs him, but the first 10 minutes were a real shock

Old August 28th, 2011, 5:03 pm
Eldest Gruff

Quote:
Originally Posted by MmeBergerac View Post
An anecdote: Can you imagine the shock when you go to the theatre to watch a Calderón play and suddenly you hear Bruce Willis speaking in verse? Of course, it wasn't Bruce Willis, but the actor who usually dubs him, but the first 10 minutes were a real shock
Living in a country where - unfortunately - every movie is dubbed as well I also know such experiences. For particular Bruce Willis' actor voice is omnipresent in films, ads and radio. It's highly confusing when you already picture this voice as Bruce', but then get some shy movie character or a cartoon cat with the very same voice.

I believe dubbing actually runs very professional in my country and it's certainly an art for itself. But odd events like the one described - one star voice appearing for many actors - appear as also the problems many described already: our kids simply don't learn English as easily as if they did, would they grow up with it. As a result we often also get tv series and films from the US or UK way later than other European countries. I wish we wouldn't do dubbing.

I don't want to live in a world
where the strong rules and the weak cower.
Harry Dresden.
Old August 28th, 2011, 7:31 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weatherby View Post
The 'Earthsea' anime was weird... Willem Dafoe voiced a woman.
Somehow that doesn't surprise me...

<-- Willem Dafoe in The Boondock Saints

Old August 29th, 2011, 12:17 pm
HighFunctioning Sociopath

I'm not sure if this is still the case, but when I lived in Poland about 15-20 year ago, films/programmes on the TV or on videotapes had this odd form of dubbing, which we ex-pats used to call "shoutover", where the original sound wasn't actually removed, they just reduced it in volume and a voiceover just gave the Polish translation very loudly over the top. All the parts, male or female, were read out by the same male actor, who had a very annoying, shouty voice.

But the worst thing was that you could still hear the English original faintly in the background, which made it very difficult to follow, because if I tried to listen to the English, it kept getting drowned out by Mr Shouty at key moments, but if I tried to listen to the Polish (my Polish is not great, but I could usually get the gist if I concentrated), I kept getting distracted by the English, which I could still hear.

Fortunately, films in languages other than Polish at the cinema were subtitled, not dubbed (except films for young children, which also had shoutover).

Old August 29th, 2011, 9:10 pm
Second Year

Oh, I know what you mean! My dad occasionally watches sports on some German television channels and often you can still hear the English (or other language) through the German voice-over when they're interviewing some athletes/players. Very annoying. My German's pretty good, and so is my English, but when they're mixed, it's hard to focus on anything.

Old August 29th, 2011, 9:54 pm
Eldest Gruff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melaszka View Post
I'm not sure if this is still the case, but when I lived in Poland about 15-20 year ago, films/programmes on the TV or on videotapes had this odd form of dubbing, which we ex-pats used to call "shoutover", where the original sound wasn't actually removed, they just reduced it in volume and a voiceover just gave the Polish translation very loudly over the top. All the parts, male or female, were read out by the same male actor, who had a very annoying, shouty voice.
I know this from Russian dubbing as well. It's the same voice and it isn't dubbed, but just read (or as you say: shouted) over. I never found that enjoyable either.

German films are dubbed on a very high standard. If you didn't know, you never knew the film or tv series isn't originally spoken in German since the dubbing voices are trained to use the movement of the actors' lips and cover this too. There's nothing left of the original voice, although in older films they sometimes didn't dub singing. (So then the spoken - German - voice switched back to the original actor's voice when a song was sung; kind of irritating). Dubbing costs months and is the main reason why films and tv shows are often released very late in Germany.
But I know the thing Nielo describes, too. It's simultaneous translating. They use it when there's an interview in original language (eg English) and the translator sits somewhere in the Off. I find this annoying too and rather liked to hear the original voice even if I don't understand the language, maybe given a short overview in German afterwards. It's not only done in sports interviews, but also during Eurovision, the wedding of Kate and William or eg speeches of foreign politicians like Obama. Over tv you can't watch the original thing.

I don't want to live in a world
where the strong rules and the weak cower.
Harry Dresden.
Old August 29th, 2011, 10:05 pm
Second Year

I have watched movies in German too and I did notice that the dubbing is done extremely well. (In Dutch, it's always just awkward, which might be because it's not done very often and therefore we haven't really developed a high standard for it. Or any standard at all.)

I did recently see an episode of Scrubs in German, but it was an episode that was done like a musical, and all the songs were sung in the original voices. I actually kind of liked that, since most of the episode consisted of songs and I'm so used to the original version, but it did surprise me.

Old August 29th, 2011, 10:37 pm
First Year

An Italian friend informs me that dubbing is common there, and that some Italian actors are well known and popular on the basis of their voice-over work.

I prefer to see a film in the original language but with subtitles. I saw Potiche recently and hearing it in French was central to the experience for me.

RuneStone on Pottermore
Old August 29th, 2011, 10:54 pm
First Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nielo View Post

This. I live in Sweden, and we only really dub stuff for the kiddies. The only movie I have ever preferred in Swedish is Disney's The Hunchback of Notre Dame, and not just because it's the version I grew up watching, but because the voices are just pure perfection. Actually, most older Disney movies are pretty epic in Swedish, but that one still stands out for me as it is so good Harry Potter? Not so much. Hermione sounds like she's on helium and the others just sound like robots. No emotions whatsoever. My sister forced me to watch them with her when she was little but I hated every minute of it lol. English FTW

By me ^
Pottermore: MirrorPixie165
You put me in
But Pottermore says I belong in !
Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > Diagon Alley > The Language Lab