Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > Diagon Alley > The Language Lab

English Accents (American, British, Irish, etc...)

Old January 15th, 2007, 5:59 pm
Fifth Year

Re: Accents (American, British, Irish, etc...)

Well both British and American accents branch off in a number of directions. For example having lived in California for my whole life I sound much different then my cousins from New York.

Sponsored Links
Old January 15th, 2007, 6:49 pm
Fourth Year

Most Americans actually don't have an accent. They don't put any inflection on their words (i.e., people from the northeast don't pronounce their R's, and people from the south tend to draw out their vowel sounds). Everyone else in the country has no accent.

While the lack of an inflection on the language can identify one as an American, it is still not technically correct to call it an "American accent."

Join the ASA today and help prevent spoilers!.
Old January 15th, 2007, 6:56 pm
First Year

Personally I am from the Midwest in the US, and there isn't really an accent here. I thought it just sounded that way, but then I found out that a local University has a school in which people from all over the US come to unlearn their accents in order to be in radio and broadcasting. Apparantly it's because of the lack of an accent in this area. I thought that was kinda interesting!
Since I was raised in the South, I enjoy hearing a southern drawl, even if I don't have one myself. I am guilty of saying Ya'll though.

Any accent from Great Britain is beautiful! I love the formality of it, how proper it seems (even when they're using slang)! I also love British(English) expressions, they are so colorful!
Someone posted earlier that they "hated the sound of their own voice" when they were Italy. I felt the same way when I visited there, plus I was there with friends who are Italian and British so I felt that way a lot... Oh, well
Usually I can tell the difference between accents from Scotland, Ireland, and England, but England itself has so many different accents! The whole "cockney rhymes" are fun, too. I think those are from London, but I'm not sure.
Also I tend to say British when referring to English people because of a Welsh friend who was raised in England. She prefers being called British to English, because it encompasses both her worlds. It kinda stuck. Sorry.
It was really interesting to read what others thought of American and British accents!

Old January 15th, 2007, 7:00 pm
Fifth Year

I'm from Wiltshire, Britain - so I speak a little bit like Hagrid. There's a few American girls at my college, and I must say, I found hearing an American accent in real life was a lot weirder than I thouht it would be, seeing as I hear all different types of American accents on the telly everyday.

Join the ASA and help prevent spoilers

Old January 15th, 2007, 7:07 pm
Second Year

I am British, and I have what you call a 'Yorkshire' Accent! It is basically really broad and some times we use older language, or older sayings that wouldn't be known/spoken by a Londoner etc..

I like the American accent; but sometimes I find it slightly annoying or just really cheesey. Sorry if that has offended anyone, theres nothing wrong with the accent at all, infact I love it, it think its great but sometimes, on films the actors are really... over-dramatic with how they speak LOL.

There are somethings you can't share without ending up liking each other,
and knocking out a twelve-foot mountain troll is one of them.

Old January 15th, 2007, 7:21 pm
Second Year

i think foreign accents just intrigue people because their "unique" to those who are used to hearing their own American, British, Irish (ect.) accents. if you plop someone from England in America, chances are you're going to be noticed! lol that's just how it is.

Last edited by ep300; January 15th, 2007 at 7:24 pm.
Old January 15th, 2007, 7:32 pm
Third Year

I love the accents from Cork and Kerry. I've been told I have a 'hoser' accent(typical Canadian), which probably isn't the most attractive accent in the world. I remember conversations overseas when people just thought my pronounciation of 'house' was hilarious.

GOFLAMESGO!!!
Old January 15th, 2007, 7:42 pm
The Forums Red Hypergiant Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by saz View Post
I think that maybe everyones own accent sounds flat to them ( When I hear another Australian accent it sounds flat to me) I can tell if someone is from the south in the U.S.A but that is all. I can sometimes pick up a canandian accent but only with certain words.

I would only use British accent to mean English, but most time I say English. I can hear difference in the English accents, however I couldn't tell you where they were from. I can distinguish between and English and Scotish or Irish accent, however do sometimes find hard to distinguish between Scotish and Irish.
I sometimes find it hard to pick a New Zealand accent if I am not listening closley, I can mistake it for an Aussie accent.
People do seem to think they don't have accents, but only because they hear their own spoken so often. But many people can tell certain accents apart because of people they know, mass media, or travels. Think of it this way: you're much better at recognizing people you've known for a long time than people you've only met once or twice. It kinds of works the same way with accents. You've heard people from various parts of your country speak the language they way you do all your life, so naturally it seems commonplace.

Distinguishing other accents within your language is no more difficult than hearing them often enough. Many people I know who've visited parts of Britain can tell me in great detail what differentiates various accents. Likewise even non-native speakers who come to live in the United States develop a knack for accents. All it really takes is experience and attention to the way you yourself speak. If you consider yourself not to have an accent, I think it may be more difficult to really tell the patterns and flavors of exotic accents apart. I could be wrong, of course, but the better you know your accent the easier it will be to distinguish other ones, in my experience.

Old January 15th, 2007, 7:58 pm
Third Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by canismajoris View Post
Many people I know who've visited parts of Britain can tell me in great detail what differentiates various accents.
The film Full Monty is set in Sheffield (my home) and our accent is so strong that when it was shown in America they had to have subtitles added to understand what we were saying

Old January 15th, 2007, 8:08 pm
First Year

I'm from Northern Ireland, home to some of the most ridiculous accents in the world. Pity me.

Old January 15th, 2007, 8:29 pm
Second Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by endormir View Post
I'm from Northern Ireland, home to some of the most ridiculous accents in the world. Pity me.

I had a geography teacher fromt here and her voice was soo shrill plus the accent...it was easy to remmebr her stuff because whenever you were studying, her shrill voice would be beating into your head

Anyway, I'm from Glasgow but don't have the 'hardcore' Glaswegian accent. I do have a bit of an accent (I only know this because I have a friend from Canada who says I do), but it's not that big a deal.

My friend is always shocked when people say to her "Oh, are you from Canada?" because she thinks she doesn't have an accent! Um, there's not a particular accent I like, I like my own fine . As to some of the expressions we use, I personally don't hear them as much in real life compared to how much they're said on TV and in books.

I do say "screw it" a lot, but that's just an expression I use, not much anyone else! I do not say "hen" (love, girl, darling) or "doon" (down) or "aboot" (about) or "cannay" (can't) or any other typical Glaswegian words...maybe a couple but not in my everyday vocabulary. Though I do incorporate a lot of Punjabi words into my sentences.....

Jack is Back!

Jack: Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness!

Jack: And now we're being followed by rocks. Never had that one before.

Too many good pictures of Jack out there. So hard to choose which one to use!
Old January 15th, 2007, 8:38 pm
Second Year

i love most accents.only a few i find incredibly annoying.scottish,irish,british,and french accents are so sexy.i have a wierd accent.it's like a southern california accent.which is like a mix of the basic american accent with a spanish/mexican influece and a little valley girl i guess.

Harry Lives!

Last edited by okkid; January 15th, 2007 at 8:45 pm.
Old January 15th, 2007, 8:49 pm
Third Year

You should come to the inner new york. The best is the mixes between Jamaican and Chinese.

However I am frim an island and have a accent. I use the f word a lot. But it just comes with the territory .. everyone says it

Old January 15th, 2007, 9:00 pm
First Year

I absolutely loveeee British accents. They instantly make a guy 20% hotter. Plus theyre just incredible awesome. Everythings so much more proper. I know not all of them are, but even the cockney accents are really cool sounding. And the way they structure their sentences even. And the British lingo. "Cheers!" GAH, I love it!! Its all so wonderful.

Join the ASA today and help prevent spoilers!.
Old January 15th, 2007, 9:05 pm
Third Year

So the proper term is English accent, not British accent?

oneinthesandbox.tumblr.com
Old January 15th, 2007, 9:14 pm
First Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madron View Post
I'm surprised that no British member has complained about the term "British accent" yet.
Scotland and England are two different countries, though they are united since 1707. In a way, it's like saying "I love the Northern American accent" and not differentiating between Canada and the USA.
Thank you! That really annoys me

Anyway....

Accents are cool. I'm from England and have an English accent. I'm really bad at doing accents and also recognising where people are from, I mean trying to tell just from just their accent. It also quite funny because on TV you hear Americans everyday but when you actually meet an American person, I'm like "Wow. Cool accent." lol. I love Scottish accents, but all accents all cool.

Old January 15th, 2007, 9:16 pm
First Year

My mother is Australian so every few years we go back there to see relatives and friends. I love hearing foreigners speak. My dad however is from White Bear, Minnesota so things are a little twisted when it comes to accents. I agree with the idea of not being able to tell the difference between a New Zealand accent and an aussie accent. For the longest time I couldn't even here my own mom's accent. But now I think I am pretty good with being able to tell apart other people's accent. People think I have an accent actually.

Have you ever noticed that when you here others talk with an accent you sometimes begin speaking like that too. maybe its just me but when I hear someone with a sophisticated english accent or a southern drawl I notice that I start saying my words like that too. maybe I am just bored with hearing minnesotan accent. ya know? oh yeah sure ya betcha.

Old January 15th, 2007, 9:23 pm
Fifth Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by inwe_nenharma View Post
Have you ever noticed that when you here others talk with an accent you sometimes begin speaking like that too. maybe its just me but when I hear someone with a sophisticated english accent or a southern drawl I notice that I start saying my words like that too. maybe I am just bored with hearing minnesotan accent. ya know? oh yeah sure ya betcha.

I have noticed that. I always get an urge to use an accent if I am talking to a person with one. I always supress the urge though. What is really amusing, and people of all accents can do this, is when someone does this to you. For example one of my friends at school lived in South Africa until he moved to California, where I am, and has a very distinct accent. When he tried to do the "Californian" accent it was very amusing.

Old January 15th, 2007, 9:28 pm
First Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tabris93 View Post
Of course there is nothing like a "British accent", but I thought the one who started this thread wrote it that way as an easy way to include English, Scottish and Irish accents.
You would be correct in that statement. I used it to include English and Scottish. I left Irish on its own probably because my family is Irish and I just kind of thought of it as its own, if you know what I mean.

Quote:
Originally Posted by leenielou View Post
I was juuuust about to

I'd quite like to know what people from other countries see as a "British" accent.
Most Americans think of it just as an English accent and don't include Scottish or Irish in the mix. Some do, but I would say most don't.

Also, I failed to explain what a Chicago accent really is. People from Chicago put alot of emphasis on their R's, A's, and O's. Some also replace "th" in the word "the" with "d" as in "da". I don't do this, but I do emphasize the three aformentioned letters. Anyone who has seen the "Superfans" skits on SNL, I suppose would get the idea, although, those are really exaggerated.

Last edited by chi3808; January 15th, 2007 at 9:45 pm.
Old January 15th, 2007, 9:34 pm
Kingsley's Biggest Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by chi3808 View Post
Most Americans think of it just as an English accent and don't include Scottish or Irish in the mix. Some do, but I would say most don't.
I understand that "British" is said when "English" is mainly meant, I was just wondering what precisely an English accent means to those people Is it the Queen's English?

Part of the Care Bear gang!
Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > Diagon Alley > The Language Lab